Loh Mushti - Iron First Fighting

Maha Singh

Meaning delve into it, be passionate about it, have confidence in your ability, practice-practice-practice, be inventive/imagintive, think about different scenarios/weapons/multiple opponents, learn to look for and recognise the subtleties, understand everysingle posture/movement/position you are ever in and its purpose/effectiveness, question everything that you learn and its true potential (this is the hardest thing to do as you have to seperate yourself from the moh of your style and teacher), compare and contrast against other systems, find and strengthen weaknesses (through generational learning - any combat is constantly evolving - sometimes improving/sometimes the opposite, depending on the understanding and interpretation of the user - there is no such thing as a system/style which is exactly as it was xx years ago IMHO), practice with as many partners as possible (even from different schools) to test your art and improve it, even if it means adding to it (we should all have personal reportoire up and above what we officially learn B) ....

Meditation on combat in my understanding encompasses many, many elements of good habits/practice/discipline etc etc

Hope you get the idea.

He is very good , but wheres the humbleness ? he seems very angry , swearing for no reason .... I personally believe if he has a gift , teach it with piare you will get alot more students , as he may be a very good in what he does , but does not necssarily mean he can teach well.

He is very good , but wheres the humbleness ? he seems very angry , swearing for no reason .... I personally believe if he has a gift , teach it with piare you will get alot more students , as he may be a very good in what he does , but does not necssarily mean he can teach well.

How did you garner that info from the clip? Or do I detect eerka?

whats eerka ? ( too dee for me :mellow: )

The video I saw ( the first one) he is offering to take on other people ,

he calls F*D*I fauj .

My opinion , first impression , he doesnt do justice for himself.

Anyway , its not really worth pondering over , if you like it then good , if you dont then good aswell

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone said it was soft, but I would say it does certainly incorporate soft elements. Soft in martial language does not equate to 'nice' or 'gentle', it equates to the form of power generation and countering principles i.e. hard (external) or soft (internal power) and blocking or evading etc.

Pentrai like Varhaar are certainly hard, Shashnaag is much softer as it evades/deflects/controls, and higher level pentrai like Chandi I would say are soft, as they bait, evade then destroy.

The only thing I never really came across in SV was learnign how to generate and use internal energy, I only ever remember techniques (soft or hard).

The difference between an internal energy strike is the damage is internal (you don't bruise on the surface). External energy attacks leave bruises/breaks/rips etc - surface damage.

An excellent example of use of internal energy is Fa-jing.

Also, learning how to use weapons 1st (as was done in originally in all Warrior cultures inc Khalsa) teaches how to generate extra energy and send it beyond your hand. Going straight into open hand, one can only focus energy to the hand/target (without internal training - cultivating and using Chi etc).

May be SV does this, I can't recall, so would be good to hear comments from Maha Singh etc.

To complicate it further, internal power has hard and soft also - i.e. Pukulan (striking Silat) uses internal power but in a very, very hard way!! Nasty stuff!! They use hard short breaths as part of their energy generation (breathing from the navel), but that is only part of the story.

Shaheediyan, I believe akalisodhi is refering to the "swearing" and refering that SV is not a soft art as in bravado, language, phsycology are used to instill fear/doubt into your opponent.

The technical softness you refer to is also correct. The internal generation of energy, momentum, and power is also an aspect within SV in a similar way by using praan, meditation and mantars, but you may not have covered it whilst you was there. Probably the main difference between SV and the chinese idea of chi-gung is that we dont attempt to take swords to the body and hope that some internal energy will prevent a cut lol.

Edited by Maha Singh

Thanks for the reply Maha Singh.

I see...

Yes, the cultivation and use of praan is used in the same way across Asia, with Yogis and Buddists being the Masters.

Lol, I don’t think any combat promotes using chi alone as a form of invincible armour. The most effective way to limit damage is parallel movement i.e. not using blocks or force on force, but rather moving with the attack, many older Chinese systems teach this, and via Kun-Tao, some traditional Filipino systems also teach this.

There are many body conditioning systems that can stop a sword blow from cutting, but that requires huge focus and time, it is more an extreme demonstration than something that can actually be used in the heat and speed of combat. Although in combat, iron jacket etc certainly would destroy an opponent in open hand or even some forms of stick/staff combat.

It’s the Indonesians and Filipinos that have charms/raksha which they claim can stop bullets and cuts, as well as create speed etc etc..

I remember some mention of praan and breathing, but not to the level Chinese take it to, where you can actually feel the heat of Chi emanating from their hands in a switch of second! Or the drills done in Pukulan where the breath makes the difference between blocking a blow or breaking the arm in the process (hence turning it into a counter blow rather than a block). May be that is reserved for the Shagrids B) .

Cheers.

Unless its in the movies of course, lol!

That mention of eagle claw was totally random!! Then he demonstrates the claw by headbutting all the pots!

Talk about totally taking the p*ss out of authentic training techniques. The pots are meant to be grabbed at a high height and the=n gradually dropped a few inches, caught, dropped, caught etc. As your claw gets stronger, you increase the weight in the pots etc.

Good description about the claw system though i.e. attacking the bones, tendons etc.