American Convert Sues Employer

dalsingh101

AutoZone sued for firing Everett Sikh

By Jerry Kronenberg

9345d6_sihk_09292010.jpg

Federal officials claim AutoZone illegally fired an Everett worker who converted to Sikhism - and did little to stop supervisors and customers from calling the man “bin Laden” and “terrorist” once he began wearing a turban.

The U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission yesterday sued Memphis-based AutoZone on behalf of Frank Mahoney Burroughs, a salesman allegedly fired after some three years working at the chain’s Everett store.

“AutoZone discriminated against Burroughs by failing to reasonably accommodate his religious practices, by subjecting him to a religion-based hostile work environment and by terminating him because of his religion,” the EEOC wrote in its lawsuit.

AutoZone did not return calls seeking comment.

Authorities claim Burroughs’ troubles began when he converted in 2009 to Sikhism, a religion that requires males to grow beards and wear turbans.

Sikh men say this look has made them targets since Sept. 11, 2001, even though their religion isn’t related to Islam.

The EEOC claimed in court papers that Burroughs’ bosses refused to let him work the first time he appeared in Sikh garb.

The company later let him return, but supervisors allegedly called Burroughs “Sikhi,” “Punjabi King” and “terrorist” because of his appearance. Bosses also rarely intervened when customers made “terrorist jokes” or called the man “bin Laden,” the EEOC said.

Ultimately, AutoZone allegedly ordered Burroughs to comply with company dress codes or provide documentation justifying a religious exemption - then fired the man when he gave up and stopped coming to work. “I was discarded like a piece of trash,” the 23-year-old said in a statement issued by the Sikh Coalition, a New York-based group that’s taken up his cause.

The EEOC is seeking unspecified back pay, pain-and-suffering compensation and punitive damages for Burroughs.

It also wants an injunction banning AutoZone from “discriminating on the basis of religion (or) refusing to accommodate the religious beliefs of employees when (doing so) does not pose an undue hardship.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1285052

I've been to America and trust me, some Americans can be very prejudice and racist against Sikhs. I sure hope and pray this Sikh brother of ours sues and gets what he deserves. Although most Americans are nice people, but the racist/prejudice ones are the Neo-cons or the hardcore republican supporters and who watch Fox news and think it is reality.

Those Republicans seem like proper evil goray of the old ilk! The East India Company type of supremacist, warmongering baascuds.

The type that are inherently evil, dishonest, manipulative and constantly scheming.

God keep us from such dushts!

I hope that brother now finds a more pleasant environment within which he can earn his living.

Those Republicans seem like proper evil goray of the old ilk! The East India Company type of supremacist, warmongering baascuds.

The type that are inherently evil, dishonest, manipulative and constantly scheming.

God keep us from such dushts!

I hope that brother now finds a more pleasant environment within which he can earn his living.

Actually at present it is Obama That is on a crusade against India and outsourcing.In many of its speeches he continously mentioned India for job snatching and created hatred for Indians on the other hand Obama is quite silent on China which has taken majority of USA's manufactoring jobs

Actually at present it is Obama That is on a crusade against India and outsourcing.In many of its speeches he continously mentioned India for job snatching and created hatred for Indians on the other hand Obama is quite silent on China which has taken majority of USA's manufactoring jobs

The weak will always be scapegoated.

That being said, there is a big difference between starting wars and general right wing rhetoric ala Republicans and a country complaining about outsourcing.

When Obama invited Manmohan to the first official state dinner, it made big noise here in the UK with the Brits nose being bent out of shape, having been in a perceived privileged 'special relationship' position for so long. (This itself was based on white 'Anglospheric' dimensions which is rarely good news for others). A good few news reports here asked outright, why does India get the special treatment?

In the UK the perception is that India and the US are forming tighter bonds under Obama. The impending planned visit to India by Obama will probably help reinforce this perception.

Edited by dalsingh101

Well in India after the Ohio outsourcing controversy there was fear that Relations between USA and India could go sour if they have not stopped there crusade against India.Ohio governer mentioned that govt contracts will not go to companies which are going to outsource them to India.While the reality is not a single contract has ever been received from Ohio govt,so why Democrat governer specifically named India? Obama keep on mentioning Bangalore in his speeches.I am sorry to say but this will create lot of anti India environment.Some even believe that Obama has found a scapegoat in form of India because of failing to deal unemployment.

As far friendship is concerned Bush was main person who was responsible for that

was Bush

w

kdsingh, Sikhs in America are not a victim of hate because Americans see Sikhs as Indians, Sikhs are victims of hate because they see Sikhs as Arabs or Muslims. Hate directed towards Sikhs in America has a direct link to the happenings of 9/11. India and Indians in general are not perceived negatively by Americans.

As for outsourcing of jobs. This issue is a very serious issue in North America. Nearly all the manufacturing jobs have gone to China and to a lesser extent South Asia. It is the job of any good American government to choose American companies first when it comes to government projects in the area of construction. Since seeing the "great" construction job Indian companies have done in the common wealth games I hope no more construction contracts will be given to Indian companies in future. India itself should have outsourced the job for the common wealth games to companies that belong to China, Korea or Japan.

Bush came with a lot of baggage. I would say the Clintons were good friends of India (and Sikhs) before anyone else.

In the end I wouldn't knock someone for being concerned about their domestic employment situation. Outsourcing is effecting the west. When the employment situation gets bad here, it can get ugly with rises in racism. The UK has totally decimated their domestic economy in terms of manufacture and some services. I don't blame the US for wanting to avoid the same pit hole.

I don't really sense any outright hostility towards India from Obama myself. If anything his moves have raised India's profile and standing. It's another story that India manages to take ten steps back in this respect with its usual grubby, backward ways being openly exposed in the Delhi games.

Edited by dalsingh101

As for outsourcing of jobs. This issue is a very serious issue in North America. Nearly all the manufacturing jobs have gone to China and to a lesser extent South Asia

That's what I am saying .Obama and its pals continuesly mention India and name of Indian cities as scapegoat for Oursourcing while keeping a mum on China.Why Democrats are continuesly bashing India if majority of its jobs are going to China and other south Asian countries.Are they using India as scapegoat and creating hatred for Indians?

In the end I wouldn't knock someone for being concerned about their domestic employment situation. Outsourcing is effecting the west. When the employment situation gets bad here, it can get ugly with rises in racism. The UK has totally decimated their domestic economy in terms of manufacture and some services. I don't blame the US for wanting to avoid the same pit hole.

And What about free trade? Which was always advocated by US and its european friends.Do they remember how much they use to force or even arm twist Other countries to force them to open their markets.Now the table is turned so free trade should be stopped?

And What about free trade? Which was always advocated by US and its european friends.Do they remember how much they use to force or even arm twist Other countries to force them to open their markets.Now the table is turned so free trade should be stopped?

Understand that the west only ever do anything when it is in their interests to do it. They will promote and repeal such stuff as required. India needs to get off the begging mentality as well and diversify its interests instead of putting all its eggs in the western basket.

African and South Latin American relationships could be be developed and fostered. Otherwise India will never stop looking like a weak parasitical leach on the Anglosphere which is always being abused in one way or another.

In a global context India is like the feeble, scrawny, insecure new member of the developing world. It needs to get more muscular and confident.

Edited by dalsingh101

African and South Latin American relationships could be be developed and fostered. Otherwise India will never stop looking like a weak parasitical leach on the Anglosphere which is always being abused in one way or another.

In a global context India is like the feeble, scrawny, insecure new member of the developing world. It needs to get more muscular and confident.

Good point. The fact that India is an emerging economy, India should be able to flex some of it's muscles. But when it gets too hot, India has shown that it cannot stand the heat. Look at how Pakistan conduct's cross border terrorism, but all India does it is cry about it like a little victim in their media or the UNO. Iran has had a very friendly relationship with India, in fact Iran has always sided with India even going against it's Islamic neighbor Pakistan. Yet under pressure from the US, India has recently started to support the US line of interest against Iran. India couldn't even do anything to save the pro Indian monarchy in Nepal which India regards as it's sphere of influence.

Again, I would like to point out that the hate directed towards Sikhs in America is not because they are perceived as Indians. They are perceived as Muslims/Arabs that is the reason Sikhs are victims of hate. So no matter what Obama says about India, it will not have any hateful backlash against the Sikhs of America.

I would like to point out that the hate directed towards Sikhs in America is not because they are perceived as Indians. They are perceived as Muslims/Arabs that is the reason Sikhs are victims of hate.

That's a good point.

When 9/11 happened there was even some horrible vibes thrown towards Sikhs in the immediate aftermath in the UK. When you consider the fact that comparatively speaking, awareness of Sikhs is infinitely higher here than in the US, then we might get a better picture of the ignorance in the states.

That being said, I think in this particular case the employers in the article knew full well he was Sikh and not a Musla. Maybe this wasn't true for many of the random customers that came in though?

• 11 years later...
28 minutes ago, Premi said:

@GurjantGnostic what do you think ?

I think the collective posts here nailed it. I see @dalsingh101 been killing it for years. 

One of Gurudwara here was arsoned after 9 11 because people thought it was a masjid. 

The republicans and neo cons are certainly racists. Whatever small conservative values, long ago sucked out. 

China has owned the democratic party leaders here since the clinton administration. 

The hate towards Sikhs here is, mistaken for muslim scenarios. Nobody hates indians past lame apu jokes from simpsons, although modi could change that. He lost serious face over those impotent firs.

Everyone gets blamed for outsourcing except the outsourcers and the people that make the rules that enable it. 

Since we gave the taliban our stuff and pretended to leave murica has a hate boner directed towards us again. I've yet to have to physically enlighten anyone. But if you see "men get knocked out for mistakingly assaulting a Sikh", that'll be me.