English Translation Of Prof. Sahib Singh's Katha Of Japji Sahib

You are right. Search shows Satguru Nanak used word ਸੋਚ for purification mostly.

fateh g

see the thing that tells us the meaning of soach is to wash is the second word in the line

ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ

the first word sochai is a verb meaning to clean

than we have soach(i) with a sihari in the middle

now where did the sihari come from

soach(to think) is a feminine word

what reason would their be to add a sihari

now in masculine words if you add a sihari than the sihari means in

like this

ghar= house ghar(i) (with sihari) - in the house

man=mind man(i)- in the mind

now these are masculine words so it makes sense

soach(i)- is feminine so the rules are different

we cant do this

even if we could it would mean

to think thinking does will not happen

if we argue that the secone soach(i) is a verb too

by thinking and thinking (it/finding God does not happen)

that would make now sense cause sochai is a verb and it would have to be sochai sochai

so basically in Gurbani each akhar each letter is cruicial

that one sihari in the second word soch(i) tells us this tukh is reffering to purification

hope this helps - fatheh g

Fateh bhen ji. Thank you for that.

The rest of you guys, this is the sister who is doing the translation. I hope you all give her a warm welcome.

Teji ji, I have many questions for you but sadly I'm stuck completing a bunch of tax returns going back 6 years! The tax man has me preoccupied for the time being.

Being a recession they want to squeeze every penny I imagine.

Down with them, I say! lol

Edited by dalsingh101

Ninth pauri:

Overall Meaning

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਈਸਰੁ ਬਰਮਾ ਇੰਦੁ ॥

Suneh(A)ai (E)eesr(u) Barmaa (E)ehnd(u).

By listening to Gods praises and attaching the consciousness to the Naam a common human attains a such state of greatness, that they achieve a status higher than that of the Hindu god’s ( Ishar Bhrama and Indra)

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਲਾਹਣ ਮੰਦੁ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Mukh(i) Saalaahan Mand(u).

By listening to Gods praises (virtues) and attaching the consciousness to the Naam even a bad human will begin to sing the glories and praises of God with his mouth

Word By Word

ਸੁਣਿਐ-Suneh(A)ai- listening/by listening/ through litening/by focusing conciousness on God's Naam/ by attaching Consiousness to the Naam

ਈਸਰੁ -(E)eesr(u)- Shiv

ਬਰਮਾ -Barmaa- Bhrama

ਇੰਦੁ-(E)ehnd(u)- Inder Hindu - god

ਸੁਣਿਐ -Suneh(A)ai- listening/by listening/ through listening/by focusing consciousness on God's Naam/ by attaching Consiousness to the Naam

ਮੁਖਿ -Mukh(i)- with the mouth/ from the mouth/ verbally/orally

ਸਾਲਾਹਣ -Saalaahan-God's praise/ God's Glories

ਮੰਦੁ-Mand(u)-a bad person/person who does bad/bad humans

In a Nutshell

The power of listening to the glories and praises of God and attaching ones consciousness with the Naam is so strong that by doing this a common everyday human can reach a spiritual level greater than the level of the Hindu gods Ishar, Bhrama and Indra. The Naam has so much power that by hearing God’s glories and binding oneself to the Naam even the most bad of people will start to sing God’s praises.

A Little Deeper

When a person hears the beautiful praises of God their state of mind becomes blissful and their hungry soul becomes calm and satisfied as they reach a greatness greater than the gods (who are worshipped by Hindus as Ishar, Bhrama and Indra). The sweet praises will pull their consciousness to a level higher than even gods and demigods. The Naam will take them to the level of the one Lord himself. Upon hearing of the all powerful great Lord, even the most worst (inhumane) of humans by attaching their hearts to the naam, praise the unfathomable Lord with their mouths. They will get absorbed into the greatness and sensation of God's praise to the extent that they too will acknowledge God's virtues and praise him. Such is the power of Gurbani and Naam.

Overall Meaning

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਤਨਿ ਭੇਦ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Jaug Jugateh Tan(i) Puh-ayd .

By listening to Gods praises and attaching the consciousness to the Naam, even the man of common (intellect) gains the knowledge of the inner yoga and its workings and the knowledge of all the secrets of this human body

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਾਸਤ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਵੇਦ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Saast Simert(i) Vayd.

By listening to God's praises and attaching the consciousness to the Naam the knowledge of true dharam, of the essence of the Shastras, Simritis, and Vedas becomes known

Word By Word

ਸੁਣਿਐ -Suneh(A)ai- listening/by listening/ through listening/by focusing the consciousness on God's Naam/ by attaching consciousness to the Naam

ਜੋਗ -Jaug- Yoga

ਜੁਗਤਿ -Jugateh- way of, manner of

ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ – method of yoga

ਤਨਿ -Tan(i)- within the body

ਭੇਦ-Puh-ayd – secrets

ਸੁਣਿਐ -Suneh(A)ai - listening/by listening/ through listening/by focusing consciousness on God's Naam/ by attaching consciousness to the Naam

ਸਾਸਤ -Saast-shastras-Hindu scripture

ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ -Simert(i)- Hindu Scripture

ਵੇਦ-Vayd- Hindu Scripture - These scriptures are considered to hold the secrets of life and righteousness.

In a Nutshell

By attaching the consciousness to the Naam and listening to God's praises all secrets, all dharma, all yogas, all disciplines are known. By binding with the Naam the essence of the Simritis, Shastras, and Vedas are known.

A Little Deeper

God's shabad, God's praises, the act of listening to God's praises and Bani has so much power that by attaching oneself to the naam a person discovers all the secrets of their body. They discover the deep mysterious of yoga (ones that yogis take so long and spend so much time in contemplation to discover) and are able to understand the most complex inner workings by attaching themselves to the all powerful Naam. They understand the complicated mysteries of the Shastras, Simritis, and Vedas. They understand the true point of the stories in past religious scriptures and the morals instead of getting stuck in minor detail. They understand the symbolism and metaphor and deep secrets of the ancient holy books. The Naam gives them this understanding.

Overall Meaning

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ ॥

Naanak Puh-gtaa Sadaa Vehgaas(u).

O Nanak, The saints are always and forever in great joyful bliss

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੂਖ ਪਾਪ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ ॥੯॥

Suneh(A)ai Dookh Paap Kaa Naas(s).

By listening to God's glories and attaching the consciousness to the Naam all pain and sins are destroyed.

Word By Word

ਭਗਤਾ-Puh-gtaa-

ਸਦਾ -Sadaa-

ਵਿਗਾਸੁ -Vehgaas(u)

ਸੁਣਿਐ -Suneh(A)ai- listening/by listening/ through listening/by focusing the consciousness on God's Naam/ by attaching consciousness to the Naam

ਦੂਖ -Dookh-pain

ਪਾਪ -Paap-sin

ਕਾ -Kaa-the/of (in this case destruction of Dookh and Paap)

ਨਾਸੁ-Naas(s)-destruction

In a Nutshell

The saints are always in great happiness because when they meditate on the Naam all of their sins and pains get erased.

A Little Deeper

The saints are the ones who sing God's praises and bind their consciousness to the lord. They are always happy because through the Naam their pain and sin always gets destroyed.

Whole Pauri - Word for Word from the teeka

O Nanak! Those saints who love the Naam, always have such great joy and bliss within their hearts because by listening to the praises and glories of God all of their pains and sins are destroyed. The commoner, by attaching their consciousness to God reaches the states of the Hindu deities Shiva, Bhrama and Indra. The bad (inhumane) person even starts to praise the great Lord. Even the person with common, ample intellect learns all the secrets of this human body and the ways of yoga (also the eyes, ears, tongue, the central organs, the way they and the bodily pleasures interact (the vikaars, lust, anger, ego, attachment, greed). The path, the way to meet the Lord is understood. The Shastras, Simritees and Vedas( Hindu scriptures ) are understood. Also, the real essence, the real higher signs (symbolism) of Dharamic (religious) books is only understood when we attach our consciousness to the Naam.

Note- ਸੁਣਿਐ ਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਲਾਹਣ ਮੰਦੁ-Suneh(A)ai Mukh(i) Saalaahan Mand(u).- Some of our (other) teeka-makers (our dear) friends have translated this to mean that by attaching the conciousness with the Naam, even bad humans achieve praise or by attaching the conciousness with the Naam , a bad human becomes a leader (respected) and worthy of praise. However, in accordence with Gurbani grammar , in route of this meaning there are many obstacles.The word Mand(u) is a word (looks plural but is singular) which means a bad person. The word Saalaahan (ਸਾਲਾਹਣ) is not a verb, According to Punjabi grammar, the phrase " to achive praise" is present tense. an purakh plural passive voice hai. In old Punjabi the word for this was saalaaheeani ('ਸਾਲਾਹੀਅਨਿ' ) the same way that the word paaveh ('ਪਾਵਹਿ'/active voice) becomes 'ਪਾਈਅਹਿ' Paaeeeahi and the word ('ਭਵਾਵਹਿ' ) Bhawaawhi becomes 'ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ' Bhawaaeeeahi. For example lets look in the second pauri

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਉਤਮੁ ਨੀਚ, ਹੁਕਮਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ 'ਪਾਈਅਹਿ' ॥

Hukmee Utam Neech

Hukam(i) Likh Dhukh Sukh ' Paiye'..

In the Hukam Humans are good and bad (do good and bad)

By the Hukam, It is written whether humans recieve pain or pleasure depending on their good and bad deeds

ਇਕਨਾ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਬਖਸੀਸ ਇਕਿ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਸਦਾ 'ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ'

Ikna Humkee Bakhsees

Ik Hukmee Sada 'Bhivaiyeh'..

Through the Hukam some select people recieve God's Blessing

While others ,through the hukam, remain lost in transmigration

'ਸਲਾਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ' 'Slaahunday han' (the word) is in the active voice and it is in the present tenseand it first person mascline as well as is plural, In old Punjabi instead of this word the word 'ਸਾਲਾਹਨਿ' ('Saalaahni') would be used. This difference too is one that should be remembered. The end of this word is not 'ਣ' (translators note- 'ਣ'= is the Gurmukhi letter gnagnaa see above where ਸਾਲਾਹਣ Saalaahan ends with 'ਣ') but here it is 'ਨ' (translators note 'ਨ' is a different punjabi letter called nahna) and with this is a sihari (ਿ) (i,eh). The way

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਲਾਹਨਿ ਸੇ ਸਾਦੁ ਪਾਇਨਿ ਮੀਠਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੁ। (ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤੀ ਮ: ੩)।

Gurmukhi Saalaahni Say Saadu Paaeini meethaa anmirtu saaru.(prbhatee mahalla 3)

ਤੁਧੁ ਸਾਲਾਹਨਿ ਤਿਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਪਲੈ, ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਧਨੁ ਸੋਈ। (ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤੀ ਮ: ੧)।

Tudhu Saalaahni tinu thunu plai, naanak kaa thnu soaee.(prbhatee mahalla 1)

ਸਾਲਾਹਨਿ= (Saalaahni- to be praising/keep praising.) So in this important to look at and think about line the meaning of the word 'ਸਾਲਾਹਣੁ' Saalaahn(u) ( with a gnana) can not mean to be praising/keep praising). Saalaahn is a noun which is masculine and plural.The sinuglar of this is 'ਸਾਲਾਹਣੁ' Saalaahn and it means praise/glory. The way

ਸਚੁ ਸਾਲਾਹਣੁ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਪਾਇਐ। (ਮਾਝ ਮ: ੫)।

Sch(u) Saalaahn(u) Vdbhagee Paaeiai. (Maajk Mahalaa:5)

ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਲਾਹਣੁ ਛਡਿ ਕੈ, ਕਰੰਗੀ ਲਗਾ ਹੰਸੁ।੨।੧੬। (ਮ: ੧ ਸੂਹੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ)।

Sifti Slaahn(u) chdi kai, krngee llhaa hans(u).16. (M:1 Soohee Kee Vaar).

O Nanak the hearts of the ones who love the Naam, God's devotees, are always and forever in such joy-filled bliss because by listening to the praise and glories of God all one's pains and sins are destroyed. By binding the consciousness to the Naam of the timeless being even simple commoner (simple human) can reach and transcend the status of the Hindu gods Ishar, Bhrama and Indra. By attaching the consciousness to the Naam of the timeless being even a bad human starts to sing the praise and glories of God, even an average person of common intellect discovers the inner secrets of the body and of yoga as well as all the organs (eyes, ears, touch organs as well as their passions and workings). They understand the path of meeting the Lord as well as the essence of the Vedas and Simratis, otherwise they would get stuck in the little words and lose the whole essence and deep meaning.

The meaning of the pauri:

Whoever binds their consciousness with the naam, that person, if they were first filled with vikaars (lust, anger, greed, ego and attachment) by binding with the naam, they leave their vikaars and start praising God. In this way the understanding is obtained that our organs (and their bodily pleasures) distance us from the Lord and the way to destroy this distance is also understood. By binding the consciousness to the Naam alll the symbolism of true Dharma, and all divine knowledge opens up in a person’s mind.

More Veechar- When one leaves all other hopes and attaches their consciousness with the Naam, the reach the very source of all greatness, When they give up all other hopes and concentrate on the Naam alone they will reach a level higher than the gods and demigods of Hinduism. The glories of God are so refreshing to the mind and so binding that even when a bad human being hears of or learns of the nature (love and forgiveness) of God, when they hear of the Naam, they too will start to praise the Lord. When one attaches the consciousness to God they learn all the secrets of the universe and of the body. They attach their mind to the One, to Ek Oangkar the essence of all, the one who will always exists even when we don't, the creator of all who made everything and knows how it works, the fearless, hateless, timeless being free from birth and death, self sustained who is realized through the shabad Guru, through the Naam. Through this they reach the mool or source of all and they do not waver. They understand the true meaning of the stories in ancient religious texts and understand the deep metaphor and symbolism and mysteries spoken of in the Vedas, Simritis and other religious books which have been passed down for longer than humans can even trace. For this reason, the saints, the ones who attach themselves to the root, to the one Naam alone, are always in great happiness. By attaching themselves to the Naam all their pain and sins are erased once and for all.

Edited by dalsingh101

Tenth pauri:

Overall Meaning

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥

Suneh(A)ai St(u) Santoakh(u) Geh(a)aan(u).

By attaching the consciousness with the Naam one obtains the (contentment) spirit of giving within their hearts, within them is (displayed) the rising presence, parkash of inward satisfaction, and the knowledge of the brotherhood of all beings under one father God

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਕਾ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Athsath(e)h Kaa Eh(e)snaan(u).

By attaching the consciousness to the Naam, one gets the benefit of bathing at all the sixty eight teeraths of pilgrimage, (or the sixty eight pilgrimage centres are all contained in the Naam)

Word By Word

ਸੁਣਿਐ -Suneh(A)ai -listening/by listening/ through litening/by focusing conciousness on the Naam

ਸਤੁ -St(u) -Donation, donating to charities

ਸੰਤੋਖੁ- Santoakh(u) -Contentment. Satisfaction

ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ- The satisfaction of giving in charities

ਗਿਆਨੁ-Geh(a)aan(u)- knowlege of the brotherhood of mankind being one (of one God who is father of all), being familiar with/recognizing and knowing God/friendship/friendly familiarity with God

ਸੁਣਿਐ -Suneh(A)ai -listening/by listening/ through listening/by focusing consciousness on the Naam

ਅਠਸਠਿ- Athsath(e)h - The sixty-eight holy places of bathing, the sixty eight teeraths where it is believed to be auspicious to bathe

ਕਾ -Kaa -at/of

ਇਸਨਾਨੁ-Eh(e)snaan(u)-bathing/holy bath

* A note about the word Sat(u)-There are three different forms of the word Sat(u). They are 'ਸਤਿ Sat(i) , ਸਤੁ Sat(u) and ਸਤ Sat. In order to understand the difference in meaning we must look at the vowel/character under each word.

For example:

a)(ੳ) ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ। ਤਾ ਸੁਣਿ ਸਦਿ ਬਹਾਲੇ ਪਾਸਿ।੧। (ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧)। Sat(u) Santoakh(u) Hoavai Ardaas(u). Taa Sun(i) Sad(i) Bhaalay Paas(i).1. (Ramkali Mahalaa 1).

B ) ਜਤੁ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਚੀਤੁ। ਨਾਨਕ ਜੋਗੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਨ ਮੀਤੁ।੮।੨। (ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧) Jat(u) Sat(u) Sanjam(u) Sach(u) Sucheet(u). Naanak Joagee Trehbhawan Meet(u). . 2.(Ramkali Mahalaa 1).

c) ਸਤੀਆ ਮਨਿ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਉਪਜੈ, ਦੇਣੈ ਕੈ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ। (ਆਸਾ ਦੀ ਵਾਰ ਮਹਲਾ ੧, ਪਉੜੀ ੬)। Satee(a)aa Man(i) Santoakh(u) O(u)pjai, Dhaynai Kai Veechaar(i) ( (A)aasa Dee Vaar Mahlaa 1, Pauri )

d)(ਸ) ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਰਿ ਦੀਪਕੋ, ਇਹ ਸਤ ਕੀ ਸੇਜ ਬਿਛਾਇ ਰੀ।੩।੧੬।੧੧੮। (ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੧)। Gur Kaa Sabad(u) Kar(i) Deepakoa, (E)eh Sat Kee Sayj Behchhaa(E)eh .3. 1 . (Aasa Mahalaa 1)

e) ਸਤੀ ਪਹਰੀ ਸਤੁ ਭਲਾ, ਬਹੀਐ ਪੜਿਆ ਪਾਸਿ। (ਮਾਝ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ, ਸ਼ਲੋਕ ਮਹਲਾ ੨, ਪਉੜੀ ੧੮)। Satee Pahree Sat(u) Phalla, Bahee(A)ai Parrdheh(A)aa Paas(i)(Manjh kee Vaar, Saloak Mahalaa 2 Po(u)rrdhee 1 )

In these examples:

a) The word Sat(u) is used with the word Santokh

b )The word Sat(u) is with the word Jat(u)

e) The word Sat(u) (Satee) is a Sanskrit word (from Sapat) which means the count of Sat(7)

The word Sat(u) roots from the sanskrit word As which means to release from the hand (let go from the hand) so the word Sat(u) means to give or to donate in Charity

c) This line is from Aaasa Di Waar- where the meaning of Satee(a)aa is a benevolant human (a person who gives). "ਸਤੀ ਦੇਇ ਸੰਤੋਖੀ ਖਾਇ" "Satee Day(e)eh Santhoakhee Khaa(e)eh." This is a commonly used line in which the word Satee(a)aa means benevolent donor. The words Danee and Santhoakhee have a deep relationship to each other. Danee (a true benevolent giver) can only be one who him (her)self is Santhoakhee (inwardly satisfied.) If not, if a person is himself being beaten with inner thirsts, than what can he truly give to others? Guru Sahib uses these two virtues together many places in Gurbani.

so

According to the examples:

(a) The word Sat means donation, or the spirit of giving/ the spirit of donating. The other meaning of the word Sat(u) is ਸੁੱਚਾ ਆਚਰਨ, ਪਤਿਬ੍ਰਤਾ ਧਰਮ, ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ-ਬ੍ਰਤ ਧਰਮ"। . When this meaning is implied, than the word sat(u) goes well with the word jat(u).

B ) The word Sat(u) means Sacha Achaaran

c) The word Sat(u) means donation.

d) Once again the word Sat(u) means Sacha Achaaran. The word Sat(i) also roots from the Sanskrit word As which means to be/to exist. so Sat(i) means one that exists, truth. In Japji Sahib Sat(i) and Sat(u) walia hath likhya lines are found.

1) 'ਸਤਿਨਾਮੁ' - Sat(i)Naam(u)-(within the mool mantar) 2) ਸੁਣਿਐ, ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ। । Suneh(a)ai Sat(u) Santoakh Geh(a)aan(u) (Pauri 10). 3) ਅਸੰਖ ਸਤੀ ਅਸੰਖ ਦਾਤਾਰ। Asankh Satee Asankh Daataar. (Pauri 17)

4) ਸਤਿ ਸੁਹਾਣੁ ਸਦਾ ਮਨਿ ਚਾਉ। Sat(i) Suhaan(u) Sadaa Man(i) Chaao(u). ( Pauri 21)

5) ਗਾਵਨਿ ਜਤੀ ਸਤੀ ਸੰਤੋਖੀ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਵੀਰ ਕਰਾਰੇ-Gaavan(i) Jatee Satee Santoakhee Gaavh(eh) Veer Karaakay .( Pauri 27)

In A Nutshell

By attaching ones consciousness to the Naam, one inwardly becomes a great generous donor and they find inner contentment. By attaching the consciousness to the Naam, one obtains the knowledge of God and of the brotherhood of mankind under one father God. They know and recognize the Lord in a familiar sense. The Naam is so powerful that just by binding the consciousness with the Naam, one gets the benefit of the spiritual cleansing , equal to bathing at the sixty-eight teeraths (pilgrim centres). Such is the power of the Naam.

A Little Deeper

The Naam is so powerful that by attaching ones consciousness to it, one becomes a great giver and they find inward satisfaction. They become benevolent in the true sense. They are inwardly satisfied, and to be a true giver, one must first be inwardly content, only then can they truly give. The Naam is the essence of all religions and rituals. No other rituals are of avail, all one needs to reach God, through his nadar, is the Naam. In India, it was and still is believed, that by bathing at the sixty eight shrines salvation is obtained. Salvation is obtained only through the Grace of the Naam. Within the Naam is the benefit of all religious rituals. One who meditates on the Naam does not need to follow such customs of ritual bathing and taking holy baths. The Naam itself is the greatest shrine. When one meditates in the Naam, they realize that all humans are connected and that God is the father of all. They obtain this knowledge, and they find love for all beings. Such is the power of the Naam.

Overall Meaning

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਮਾਨੁ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Prdh(i) Prd(i) Paavh(eh) Maan(u)

By attaching the consciousness with the Naam, the amount of greatness/ respect given to those (scholars) who read and study great knowledge, is easily received by those saints who attach themselves with the Naam of the Timeless Being

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਲਾਗੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Laagai Sahj(eh) Theh(a)aan(u)

By attaching the consciousness with the Naam the consciousness soars steadily, becomes stable, (never wavers), it remains forever stabilised,

Word By Word

ਸੁਣਿਐ -Suneh(A)ai --listening/by listening/ through listening/by focusing consciousness on the Naam

ਪੜਿ -Prdh(i) -by reading knowledge

ਪੜਿ-Prd(i) -by reading knowledge

ਪਾਵਹਿ-Paavh(eh) -to receive/to obtain

ਮਾਨੁ-Maan(u)-honour/glory/glorious greatness

ਸੁਣਿਐ -Suneh(A)ai --listening/by listening/ through listening/by focusing consciousness on the Naam

ਲਾਗੈ -Laagai -to get attached to/to attach with

ਸਹਜਿ-Sahj(eh) - Sahaj spiritual power (avastha), sahaj = to be born with/to be raised with/ that spirit which was born with the soul in pure form/ the pure true righteousness (dharam) of the soul, rising (turia) spiritual greatness/power (avastha). The spiritual stage above the three phases of maya, peace, steadiness.

ਧਿਆਨੁ-Theh(a)aan(u)-consciousness/concentration

In A Nutshell

Everything is within the Naam. The Naam is the essence of all. A saint by binding the consciousness with the Naam, obtains the respect of the greatest of scholars. The consciousness is cooled by the Naam and it becomes steady and stable. The soul is restored to its original purity. The avastha (spiritual success) of a person rises steadily.

A Little Deeper

So many read books and chase knowledge to obtain honor and greatness. This glory is obtained easily by those saints who attach themselves to the Naam. By attaching oneself to the Naam , the consciousness becomes peaceful and steady. The burning fire (of this world) is put out and our souls become pure. Our spiritual greatness, our avastha soars and we find great peace. All this is within the Naam of the Lord. The essence of all knowledge is the Naam. One who is attached to the Naam , needs nothing else. The Naam will always give them stability and happiness. They will always have a steady place of rest within the Naam. Behold such is the glory of attaching the consciousness with the Naam. There is no other power like it!

Overall Meaning

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ ॥

Naanak Bhagtaa Sadaa Vehgaas

O Nanak those Saints, the ones who bind their hearts with the Naam, they are always in great blissful happiness

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੂਖ ਪਾਪ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ

Suneh(a)ai Dookh Paap Kaa Naas(u)-

( Because) By listening to the praises of God and binding the heart to the Naam all ones sins and pains are all destroyed

Word by Word

ਭਗਤਾ - Bhagtaa – The Saints/ the Ones who bind their consciousness with God/ The Ones who keep God attached to their hearts/ The Devotees

ਸਦਾ - Sadaa –forever/ eternally/ always and forever

ਵਿਗਾਸੁ- Vehgaas- great joyfulness,/ deep bliss/ amazing happiness and ecstasy

ਸੁਣਿਐ - Suneh(a)ai-To Listen/ By listening/my attaching our consciousness/focus/soul with the Naam/by listening to the praises of

ਦੂਖ - Dookh – Pain/ Hurt

ਪਾਪ - Paap - Sin

ਕਾ- Kaa - of

ਨਾਸੁ- Naas(u)- destruction

ਕਾ- Kaa ਨਾਸੁ- Naas(u)- The destruction of/ The destroying of / To cause destruction to

In A Nutshell

Those saints who listen to God's praises and attach their consciousness to the Naam are always joyful and jolly because by attaching the consciousness to the great Naam all pains and sins are forgotten.

A little deeper

The Naam is so powerful that it pulls a person’s soul out of the deep pit of this worlds pain and sin. It lifts the person up to a state of eternal bliss and joyfulness. The name breaks the false pain and makes the soul see God, from whom all pleasures originate. The act of singing God's praises and focusing on the Naam is so supreme that all sins and pains break into pieces and disappear as the state of mind of those saints who are bound to the Naam enjoy a beautiful eternal calm and blissful ecstasy.

Meaning of Pauri ( Word By Word-from Teeka)

Oh Naanak, those saints who attach their consciousness to the Naam of the timeless being, within the hearts of those devotees, is always great blissful joy because by hearing and listening to the praises of God, pain and sins are destroyed. By attaching the consciousness to the Naam, the spirit of giving in enshrined in the heart and contentment, inner satisfaction rises and is permanently seated within, displayed inwardly, contained in the heart. Believe it , the spiritual cleansing of the sixty-eight places of worship is received, meaning the sixty eight shrines are all within the Naam. The respect which is received by great scholars after studying vast knowledge, that great honor is received by those saints who attach themselves with the Naam of the timeless being. By binding to the Naam, the consciousness finds eternal steadiness. By listening/binding to the Naam, the consciousness becomes ever steady and it rests in stableness. Meaning- The mind, whose consciousness is bound to the Naam becomes wehshaal , it helps those who are needy and the lifestyle becomes full of satisfaction. Within the Naam is the spiritual cleansing at the sixty eight shrines. One doesn’t worry about the respect of others, the mind finds peaceful stableness and stays magan.

More Veechar

Once again Guru ji reminds us that all greatness lies in the Naam . Everything is the Naam . The essence of all religion is the Naam. The Naam leads us on . The Naam is the most important aspect of a persons life, all power lies within the Naam ! All other efforts are of no use! Bind the consciousness with the Naam and receive all glory. It is believed by some that bathing at the sixty eight shrines of pilgrimage, brings spiritual cleaning and salvation. The value of binding with the Naam is greater, the merit is greater than bathing at such shrines. Spiritual cleansing, the sixty eight shrines, salvation, all is within the Naam! One who has the Naam, one whose consciousness is attached to the Naam , needs no other means of salvation. They need no other rituals. The Naam purifies them and leads the soul. The Naam gives the soul inner purity and makes the human a great generous giver. The Naam gives the soul inward satisfaction which is not found anywhere else. By binding the consciousness to the Naam, one obtains the knowledge that God is the one father of all mankind. They look at all with an equal eye as one. They are happy and live a lifestyle of love and contentment and always do good and donate to others. Their inner satisfaction enables them to live like this; generous and free of hatred. Those who bind with the Naam obtain the greatness and glory of the greatest scholars. Binding with the Naam is the true effort. When one binds with the Naam, their consciousness remains steady in one place and their spirituality soars, They become peaceful and their soul shines with it's original purity and spirit. The spirit it was born with, and the spirit which has always been imbued within the soul. The soul radiates when attached to the Naam and the being becomes glorious in all ways. This is why those saints who attach themselves to the Naam are always in blissful joy. By listening to God's praises all sin and pain is destroyed . The soul, the being becomes joyful and purified. Such is the power binding with the Naam!

Edited by dalsingh101

Fateh g

see the pauris connect like this i just noticed

start mool mantar - this is separate n till Gurparsad(i)

Jap(u)- name of bani

start aad sach- this is the description of God being sach-eternal-the one who exists and the one who is neverdying (the whole bani wraps around this concept of being sachiar like God , obtaining this house of sach

the first pauri talks about the attemps and ends with giving the answer that sachiar is obtained by taking the naam and living in God's raza

the second pauri describes the doings of the hukam (not describe but like tells of) the hukam being the source of all and ends with the line nanak hukme jey bujhai - hukme bujhai means understand the hukam

third pauri talks about how people bujhai or understand the hukam

some describe (sing of it) in one way others in other ways

the last line talks about God being above it all and hapilly bestowing gifts on all

the next line opens with this notion

and it describes God is being saach and his law as sach (his justice) and his language as limitless love

and notions that is everything is Gods the only thing we can give God is love and repeat his name in moments of bliss

than the next two pauris beg God for the gift of the Naam (gura ik deh bujhai)

thn the next pauri talks about the value of the naam

the next four paris talk about what happens when we sunehai (bind conciousness to the naam)

the next maneheh (believe in the Naam)

the next talks about the saints (panch ) who have done both

hope this helps ill post more later

fateh g

Some questions for you Sister Teji:

How do we tell the gender of particular words?

Also, in the following tuk:

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

I had previous thought ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ referred to a particular time (i.e. the period leading to dawn). But now I get a sense that it doesn't refer to a particular time as such?

Any thoughts? Other people please feel free to contribute.

Fateh g

thats actually very common now cause we refer to the time when a Sikh is supposed to rise and do simran as Amrit vela nowdays

the literal meaning of the word is the time of great bliss/endless joy

when we feel bliss we say amrit like when katha vachiks do good katha we say it is like amrit to our ears

the time when a Sikh should wake up is called bhalkay

gur satgur ka jo sikh akhiye so bhalkay ut har naam dhiavay

- whoever calls himself (or is called a Sikh of the Guru) should wake up and meditate on the Naam

so there is no doubt that waking up to do Simran and nitnem is jrooreee and we can call this time Amrit Vela because we are filled with Amrit from the path

Guru Ji tells us \

safal moorati saflaa gharee jit sachay nal piar- when we are in love with God that is a pure and beautiful time

so in this tukh

muho ki bolan boleeay jit sun dharay piar

what can we speak with our mouth, so that God may bestow his love

the answer is that at anytime of the day if we chant God's naam in joy and love whether it is 2am or 2pm , that act will bring us his love

by pondering on God's glories that will cause God to bestow his preet

hope that helps g

the other question is that it is a matter of studying the language or using a dictionary

its hard cause english words dont have gender

but spanish,french,italian,hindi,punjabi and sanskrit words all do

here is a punjabi example

main roti khanda - this a boy would say the word khanda is masculine

main roti khandee- this a girl would say the word khandee is feminine

other words that end in ee are usually fem and words in a are usually mas but their are some exeptions this we just have to study see in english we have the pronouns he and she in punjabi we say oh

i know its a little confusing

heres another example

the world manja (bed) is masculine so it ends in a

manja kithe haiga- where is the bed

haiga is masculine too and it must be masculine cause it has to agree with majna

the word kursee (chair) is feminine so the same sentence would be

kursee kithay haigee- the word haigee is feminine so it agrees with kursee

hope this helps

fateh g :)

Some questions for you Sister Teji:

How do we tell the gender of particular words?

Also, in the following tuk:

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

I had previous thought ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ referred to a particular time (i.e. the period leading to dawn). But now I get a sense that it doesn't refer to a particular time as such?

Any thoughts? Other people please feel free to contribute.

Any given time is like nectar when we do ਸਚੁ ਨਾਓੁ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰ.

EXACTLY :)

also wanted to add one more thing

japji sahib starts at japu

the mool mantar is completely seperate

the way we see the mool mantar when raags start

thats the same as here

i mean we should read it because it is there at the beggining but it is not part of the bani japu

the bani jap starts aadi sachu jugaadi sachu

that is where Guru Nanak Dev ji is giving a mangla charan or a statement of his object of worship

this bani is about the japu of the lord who is aadi sachu jugaadu sachu

more on that later i will send u the meaning :)

Now there is some contention that mool mantar ends at:

Nanak hosi bhi sach.

Has anyone any thoughts on that?

Teji?

PS - I guess we learn of the gender of words purely through osmosis. I though some rigid heuristics may have been identifiable but this doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for the explanation.

Edited by dalsingh101

Waheguru ji

i used to believe that as well but the main argument (there are many but this one stands by itself) is that each raag starts with a mool mantar till Gurparsadi

would Guru sahib ever write an incomplete mool mantr?

thats the main reason

also japu is the name of the bani

but one importnt thing

anyone can chant up to what they like

both will lead to God but

japu is the start of the bani

Sorry folks - pindu alert!

I must say, it is quite a pervasive argument.

The above was supposed to say "I must say, it is quite a PERSUASIVE argument."

My bad.

Also in relation to the Mool Mantar, an undercover brother pointed out that Bhai Gurdas in his exposition in his vaars goes up to Nanak hosi bhi sach, which suggests Mool Mantar ends there to him.

Teji bhen - Will go through your post and put it up real soon.

Edited by dalsingh101

Eleventh pauri:

Overall Meaning

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਰਾ ਗੁਣਾ ਕੇ ਗਾਹ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Saraa Gunaa Kay Gaah

By binding the consciousness with the Naam, one dives into the tank (sarover) of God's infinite virtue, one obtains an understanding of infinite virtue

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸੇਖ ਪੀਰ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Saykh Peer Paatehsaah

By binding the consciousness with the Naam, one reaches the great exalted state of of the Sheiks (religious leaders) , Pirs (religious leaders, enlightened ones) and Paatshahs (Kings)

Word By Word

ਸਰਾ -Saraa –sarovar ,filled tank,

ਗੁਣਾ -Gunaa -virtue

ਕੇ -Kay -of

ਸਰਾ ਗੁਣਾ ਕੇ-Saraa Gunaa Kay- The sarover of virtue, the tank of virtue, infinite virtue

ਗਾਹ-Gaah- ones of knowledge, influence and power

ਸੇਖ -Saykh -religious leader

ਪੀਰ -Peer -religious leader/considered enlightened one

ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹ-Paatehsaah- king of all, ruler of all

In A Nutshell

By binding the conciousness to the Naam, one dives deep into the tank of the Lord's infinite virtues. They obtain an understanding of virtues and divine truths and their state becomes as great and high as Saykhs (religious leaders), Peers (religious leaders/enlightened ones) and even Patsaahs (Kings). Such is the greatness of binding with the Naam.

A Little Deeper

The Naam is so powerful that by binding the consciousness to the Naam of the timeless being, an ordinary mortal becomes God-like. They dive into the never-ending infinite tank of God's virtues and obtain an understanding of the divine truths. They become so wonderful, powerful, and amazing that the reach the level of the Sheikhs (religious leaders), Pirs (religious leaders/enlightened ones.) and even the level of mighty Kings. They reach this level easily, just by binding their minds with the Naam. The Naam is the most powerful force and religious ritual and it is the most fruitful effort in every way. Let us too bind with the Naam and see where it takes us!

Overall Meaning

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਅੰਧੇ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਰਾਹੁ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Andhaay Paavheh Raah(u)

By binding the consciousness with the Naam, those lacking divine knowledge, the spiritually blind, they too find the right path to meeting the Lord

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਹਾਥ ਹੋਵੈ ਅਸਗਾਹੁ ॥

Suneh(A)ai Haath Hoavai Asgaah(u)

By binding the consciousness with the Naam, the vastly deep unfathomable world ocean and , the true reality of this world ocean is understood,

Word By Word

ਅੰਧੇ -Andhaay - blind

ਪਾਵਹਿ-Paavheh- to obtain/ to receive

ਰਾਹੁ -Raah(u)- path/way/right road/pathway

ਪਾਵਹਿ ਰਾਹੁ-Paavheh Raah(u)- to find the way/to obtain the path

ਹਾਥ -Haath -understanding of the depth/understanding of deepness/understanding of the truth

ਹੋਵੈ -Hoavai -to happen/to become/to take place

ਹਾਥ ਹੋਵੈ-for something deep to be understood/for understanding to happen/take place/reality is understood, truth is understood/ for the understaing of truth/reality/depth to take place

ਅਸਗਾਹੁ-Asgaah(u)-deep ocean/the world/the deep ocean which is the world/world ocean

(A note about) the word Haath

The word Haath 'ਹਾਥ' is a feminine gendered word, and that is why in it's singular for there is no (u) , no aunkar, no (ੁ) at the end of this word. This word means the understanding of deepness (deep matters, deep subjects), but when this same word is in the masculine form it means, a body part of a human, a hand.

For example

1.ਹਾਥੁ ਪਸਾਰਿ ਸਕੈ ਕੋ ਜਨ ਕਉ, ਬੋਲਿ ਨ ਸਕੈ ਅੰਦਾਜਾ।੧। (ਬਿਲਾਵਲ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ)। - Haath(u) Pasaar(i) Sakai Koa Jan Ko(u), Boal(i) Na Sakai Andaajaa.1. (Bilaaval Kabeer Jee)

In the plural form, (ਹਾਥ) "haath" is shown to be spelled the same way as it's feminine form ("haath") for example

2.: ਹਾਥ ਦੇਇ ਰਾਖੇ ਪਰਮੇਸਰਿ, ਸਗਲਾ ਦੁਰਤੁ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ।੧।੭।੧੬। (ਗੂਜਰੀ ਮਹਲਾਂ ੫)। - Haath Day(e)eh Raakhay Parmaysar(i), Saglaa Durat(u) Mehtaa(e)eh(a)aa.1.7.16. (Goojree Mahalaa(n) 5)

In A Nutshell

By binding with the Naam, those who don't know anything about spiritual rituals or practices, those who are blind to divine knowledge, they too find the right pathway. By binding with the Naam this vast world, which is like a deep ocean, is understood by those who attach themselves with the Naam. Such is the power of the Naam.

A Little Deeper

By binding with the Naam, those who have no knowledge of mantras, tantras, prayers, wisdom, or rituals, those who are spiritually blind, through binding with the great Naam, they too find the right path to meeting the Lord. The Naam is the path. It is the essence of all rituals. By binding with the Naam, this scary ocean like world, full of lust, anger, greed, ego and attachment, this world which passes like a dream, life and death, the vast un-understandable world ocean is understood. Through the Naam one understands the nature of this world-ocean and of life. The Naam is everything, it is the greatest power and knowledge and the greatest spiritual gift. Binding with the Naam is the greatest effort. Why not attach our consciousness to the Naam and swim across this world ocean? It is the only way!

Overall Meaning

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ ॥

Naanak Bhagtaa Sadaa Vehgaas

O Nanak those Saints, the ones who bind their hearts with the Naam, they are always in great blissful happiness-

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੂਖ ਪਾਪ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ

Suneh(a)ai Dookh Paap Kaa Naas(u)-

(Because) by listening to the praises of God and binding the Heart to the Naam all ones Sins and pains are all destroyed

Word by Word

ਭਗਤਾ - Bhagtaa – The Saints/ the Ones who bind their consciousness with God/ The Ones who keep God attached to their hearts/ The Devotees

ਸਦਾ - Sadaa –forever/ eternally/ always and forever

ਵਿਗਾਸੁ- Vehgaas- great joyfulness,/ deep bliss/ amazing happiness and ecstasy

ਸੁਣਿਐ - Suneh(a)ai-To Listen/ By listening/my attaching our consciousness/focus/soul with the Naam/by listening to the praises of

ਦੂਖ - Dookh – Pain/ Hurt

ਪਾਪ - Paap - Sin

ਕਾ- Kaa - of

ਨਾਸੁ- Naas(u)- destruction

ਕਾ- Kaa ਨਾਸੁ- Naas(u)- The destruction of/ The Destroying of / To cause destruction to

In A Nutshell

Those saints who listen to God's praises and attach their consciousness to the Naam are always joyful and jolly because by attaching the consciousness to the great Naam all pains and sins are forgotten.

A little deeper

The Naam is so powerful that it pulls a person’s soul out of the deep pit of this worlds pain and sin. It lifts the person up to a state of eternal bliss and joyfullness. The name breaks the false pain and makes the soul see God, from whom all pleasures originate. The act of singing God's praises and focusing on the Naam is so supreme that all sins and pains break into pieces and disappear as the state of mind of those saints who are bound to the Naam enjoy a beautiful eternal calm and blissful ecstasy.

The whole Pauri - Word by Word from Teeka

ਨੋਟ: ਨੰਬਰ ੧੨ ਤੋਂ ੧੫ ਤਕ ਚਾਰ ਪਉੜੀਆਂ ਦਾ ਮਜ਼ਮੂਨ ਇਕੋ ਲੜੀ ਦਾ ਹੈ।

O Naanak! Those saints who bind their consciousness with the Naam of the timeless beings, within the minds of those saints is always blissful joy, because by hearing the Naam, a humans pains and sins are destroyed. By attaching the consciousness to the Naam, of the timeless being, an ordinary everyday person, the deep knowledge of virtue is found. The exalted state of the Sheiks (religious leader) , Pirs (religous leader,enlightened one) and Paatshahs (Kings) is obtained. This is the result of hearing the Naam, that one who blind spiritually in wisdom, they too will find the right path to meet the Lord. By binding the consciousness with the Naam of the timeless being, the deep ocean which is this world, the reality of this world-ocean is understood. Meaning: Whoever binds the consciousness with the Naam, that human dives in the ocean of God's virtues. This world is an unfathomable deep ocean where the human, separated from the Lord, (slaps/hits) flaps around their hands and feet like a blind person. However, the being, the soul, who is attached to the Naam, they find the right path (to God.

Note-Number 12 to 14, the muzmoon is in one ladhee.

More Veechar

Once again Guru Ji tells us the power of binding with the Naam. By binding with the Naam , the saint, becomes just like God. They take a deep dive into God's infinite virtues. A deep understanding of divine virtue is obtained. The soul reaches the greatness of the sheiks (religious leaders), Pirs (religious leaders/enlightened ones) and even the Patshaahs (kings.) The soul becomes part of God and through the Naam, all of God's virtues dwell within them. They transcend this world and become glorious. The Naam is so powerful that even those who know nothing about spirituality, those who are spiritually blind, they too find the right path. The Naam leads the soul onward to God. It directs the soul to it's permanent home. Without the Naam we drown in this world ocean. This world is full of pain and it is almost impossible to stay above it. We are caught in the whirlpool of life. We are stuck in pain and pleasure, birth and death. We die miserable and turn cold as we drown in the world's pain. We are like blind people trying to swim in an ocean. We waver here and there looking for a way out. It is only through binding with the Naam, that we can escape the world's pain and passions, we can escape lust, anger, greed , ego and attachment and it is only through the Naam that we can reach God.

The Naam is the true pathway to God. Even those who are spiritually blind can reach God through this pathway. Through the Naam they find the right path easily and by attaching the consciousness to the Naam, this crazy world, which is like a deep ocean is understood. Through the Naam , the soul easily crosses this world ocean. They stay above pain and pleasures and reach the Lord with ease. Those saints who bind with the Naam are always in blissful joy, they never have to worry about drowning in this world. By binding with the Naam, they transcend all pain and reach greatness. They find the Lord, and through the Naam, they are free of pain and sin! Why not attach ourselves to the Naam? Why not swim across this world ocean? Without the Naam, there is only pain and anger? Why not use the Naam as a boat or plane, and rise above the worlds pettiness and pain to a level of infinite greatness? Why not bind with the greatest most powerful Naam? Without it we will surely drown? With it , we will rise to God's glory! Such is the greatness of the Naam!

Edited by dalsingh101

I updated the 9th pauri and have numbered them so people can (hopefully) easily locate any particular pauri they may want to find.

ਸੇਖ -Saykh -religious leader

ਪੀਰ -Peer -religious leader/considered enlightened one

ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹ-Paatehsaah- king of all, ruler of all

We should note that the above tuk uses Islamic/Farsi terminology.

Twelfth pauri:

Overall Meaning:

ਮੰਨੇ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥

Man-aay Kee Gat(eh) Kahee Na Jaa(e)eh

The high spiritual state of one who places their belief in the Naam is indescribable. It cannot possibly be described or told of

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਇ ॥

Jay Koa Kahai Pichai Pach(u)taa(e)eh.

If any human even attempts to describe this great spiritual state they will afterwards regret their effort (they will feel it was a bad attempt/low effort)

Word by Word:

ਮੰਨੇ -Man-aay - the believer, one who has faith, one of faith, one of belief

ਕੀ -Kee - of

ਮੰਨੇ ਕੀ-Mnaay Kee- of the believer, of the one who has faith

ਗਤਿ- Gat(eh) -state, spiritual state, spiritual reach (avashta)

ਕਹੀ-Kahee - to tell, to describe , to speak of

ਨ -Na - negation word, no ,can't, are not able to

ਜਾਇ- Jaa(e)eh- to happen, to be done

ਜੇ -Jay -if

ਕੋ -Koa- any person, any one person, any one being, some peroson

ਕਹੈ- Kahai - describes( tries to describe), attempts to speak of, tries to tell of

ਪਿਛੈ-Pichai -afterwards, after doing something, after doing so

ਪਛੁਤਾਇ-Pach(u)taa(e)eh- to regret, to feel remorse

In a Nutshell :

The glory of the Naam is beyond description. The state of one who puts their belief and faith in the Naam is indescribable. Their greatness is bigger than this world. How can it be described? Anyone who tries will soon feel regret, they will feel that their attempt was infinitely inadequate. Such is the greatness of the Naam.

A Little Deeper:

The glory of the Naam is so great and it can only be experienced by one who has faith within. The greatness is beyond this world and beyond the senses of just the mind (brain) and body. The bliss and the state of mind of one who puts their faith in the Naam is beyond human comprehension. Who can describe the vastness and great pleasure of the Naam? That great feeling is beyond words. If one were to try to describe it they would fail. They would regret their effort calling it a bad attempt. The bliss of God is truly beyond all description. Only one with faith, only one who experiences it first hand, can realize it and enjoy it but none can ever adequately, even describe a small bit of the incredible joyfulness of being immersed in the Naam and having full faith in it. No one can know but those who have this faith.

Overall Meaning:

ਕਾਗਦਿ ਕਲਮ ਨ ਲਿਖਣਹਾਰੁ ॥

Kaagad(i) Kalam Na Lehkhanhaar(u).

Neither on paper , nor with a pen, nor with any scribe (there is no scribe capable )

ਮੰਨੇ ਕਾ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥

Man-nay Kaa Bheh Karan(i) Veechaar(u).

There is none powerful enough to sit and write the description describing the great spiritual glory of one who places their faith in the Naam

Word By Word:

ਕਾਗਦਿ-Kaagad(i) -ontop of a paper

ਕਲਮ-Kalam - (with a )pen

ਨ-Na -negation word, no,cant, is impossible

ਲਿਖਣਹਾਰੁ - Lehkhanhaar(u)- one who can write, who is capable of writing, who can write, scribes

ਮੰਨੇ-Man-nay -the believer, one who has faith, one of faith, one of belief

ਕਾ-Kaa -of

ਬਹਿ-Bheh -to sit

ਕਰਨਿ-Karan(i) to do

ਕਾ ਬਹਿ -Kaa Bheh - to sit and do, to sit down and do

ਵੀਚਾਰੁ-Veechaar(u)-description/discourse/discussion

ਮੰਨੇ ਕਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ-Mnnay Kaa Veechaar(u)-the discussion of the one greatness of one who has placed their belief in the Naam, the description of the spiritual reach (avashta) and glory of one who has their belief in the Naam

In a Nutshell :

The description of the believer's glorious state is indescribable, It can't be written on paper with a pen and there is no scribe who can write this glory. Who is powerful enough to sit and attempt? It is impossible.

A Little Deeper:

The Naam is so exalted that the description of one who believes in it is infinitely great. The glory is never-ending. There is no amount of paper that can describe this glory. There is no pen which can write this description and there is no one powerful enough to try to describe the happiness and glory and great spiritual height which comes from the Naam. One would have to write till infinity and still it would not be written. There is no one powerful enough to sit and truly describe or write of the limitless power within the mind of one who places their faith in the Naam.

Overall Meaning:

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

(A)aisaa Naam(u) Nehranjn(u) Hoa(e)eh

Such is the greatness of the Naam, which is beyond the hold of the world and maya

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੨॥

Jay Koa Mnan(i) Jaanai Man(i) Koa(e)eh .12.

Only if one were to place faith in the Naam and search within, only than could they experience such greatness within their souls (minds)

Word By Word:

ਐਸਾ -(A)aisaa -such is, like this, such a height, the Naam is so high, such is the greatness of the Naam

ਨਾਮੁ-Naam(u) - The Naam of the timeless being

ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ-Nehranjn(u) -immune from the world/immune from maya/detached from creation and its turmoil

ਹੋਇ- Hoa(e)eh-to be/to happen/is

ਜੇ -Jay -of

ਕੋ-Koa -one human, one person, any perosn. ayone

ਮੰਨਿ -Mnan(i) -were to believe, were to place faith in the Naam of the timeless being

ਜਾਣੈ -Jaanai - to know, to be aware of, to take a look and see,

ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ -Mnan(i) Jaanai- to place faith and look, to place faith and search within, to look within with faith and belief, to take a look after

ਮਨਿ -Man(i) - within the mind.soul

ਕੋਇ-Koa(e)eh- any human, anyone

In a Nutshell :

Such is the greatness of the Naam. It is above the material world, unattached from all. Only one who places faith in this Naam can know the state of one who places faith within the Naam. Only the one who believes can know the greatness of those who believe.

A Little Deeper:

The Naam is so great that only it brings tremendous joy to the mind of the believer. This joy is beyond the material world. The Naam is beyond the material world. When one attaches to the Naam their state also transcends the material world. Those whose state is still stuck in maya and worldliness, those who haven't tasted the Naam, how can they know the joy? How does one describe the indescribable? Only those who taste the Naam can know the flavor.

Whole Pauri- Word for Word from Teeka

The high spiritual reach, the avastha of the soul who has placed belief in the Naam of the timeless being (or, one whose thirst, curiosity, love (lagan) has become attached to the Naam, that high spiritual reach (avastha) cannot be described. If any person tries to describe it they will feel regret afterwards (that I made a wrong effort, a bad effort). Humans come together and try to estimate the spiritual reach of the one who believes, but no human has the power of strength to write this estimate with a pen on paper, The Naam of the timeless being is very high, and it is beyond the reach, care, hold of maya , those who bind with this Naam, their spiritual reach becomes that high, but this (the height of their reach) can only be understood by those who have attached themselves to the Naam, and take the effort to look within their own souls. (Meaning, God is infinitely above the hold, the reach of maya, by binding the consciousness in the Naam of the Timeless Being, some humans, lagan (curiosity, love, thirst) becomes attached, and their soul too becomes above the hold of maya. That human whose attachment, whose inner thirst, whose lagan, becomes attached to the Naam, the high spiritual state of that human is so great that it can't be described or written. 12.

More Veechar

In this pauri SatGuru Naanak Dev Ji uses the only possible description to describe the greatness of Naam, that description is indescribable. There is nothing like the Naam. There are no words to describe it. The mental state of one who attaches themselves to the Naam is beyond limits. How can we limit it to a description? How can the deaf man understand the sound a piano makes? How can the maya centered mind understand the state of one who has transcended this world. The only way to know is if one were to fall in love with the Naam and attach themselves to it. If one were to connect to God and reach that height, only then could they know this height. If anyone even tries to describe the mental state of one who believes in the Naam, they would regret their attempt and think it was inadequate. Any estimation would be low. The Naam in unreachable, the only way to reach it is to attach the consciousness to it. It is through thirsting for it and searching within. There is no way to write on paper with pen, there is no scribe who can write the glorious state of one who believes in the Naam. Even if one was to write forever they could not do it! No one has the power to write this limitless greatness. How could it be limited to pen and paper, It is beyond the universe. Such is the greatness of the Naam which is limitless beyond all creation, that the glory of the believer can only be known solely to the mind of the believer! Let us too put our faith in the Naam so we can taste some of this glorious greatness within our mind.

Thirteenth pauri:

Overall Meaning:

ਮੰਨੈ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਮਨਿ ਬੁਧਿ ॥

Man-nai Surat(i) Hoavai Man(i) Budh(i).

After placing faith in the Naam, one's consciousness soars high and their sleeping mind/soul (asleep under maya) awakens

ਮੰਨੈ ਸਗਲ ਭਵਣ ਕੀ ਸੁਧਿ ॥

Man-nai Sagal Bhavan Kee Sudh(i).

After placing faith in the Naam, the understanding of all the realms and regions (of creation) comes to dwell within the human (they understand God's omnipresence in all places)

Word By Word:

ਮੰਨੈ -Man-nai -if one were to believe, if one’s thirst was to become attached to the Naam, after placing faith in the Naam, after believing in the Naam

ਸੁਰਤਿ - Surat(i) -consciousness

ਹੋਵੈ -Hoavai - to happen/to become

ਸੁਰਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ-Surat(i) Hoavai- for the consciousness to become (high/elevated)

ਮਨਿ -Man(i) - within the mind/within the soul

ਬੁਧਿ -Budh(i).-awakening/spiritual awakening, the awakening of knowledge

ਮੰਨੈ -Man-nai -if one were to believe, if ones thirst was to become attached to the Naam, after placing faith in the Naam, after believing in the Naam

ਸਗਲ - Sagal -all/all of

ਭਵਣ -Bhavan- realms, regions, worlds

ਕੀ -Kee - of

ਸੁਧਿ - Sudh(i). news, understanding, knowledge

In a Nutshell :

After placing faith in the Naam, one's consciousness soars to great heights. Their mind/soul which was asleep under maya, under lust, anger, greed, ego, attachment, under the wall of falseness, finally has a fresh awakening. After placing faith in the Naam, one obtains the knowledge of all the realms of creation and they realize God's omnipresence in each and every area of creation!

A Little Deeper:

The soul of the human remains asleep under the falseness of maya. Humans face so much pain and they remain stuck. The only way out is the Naam. When one places faith in their Naam, their consciousness soars to great height. They realize God and awaken to God's Naam and love. They are no longer stuck in the bonds of maya. They soar above these bonds and they realize that this world is false and God is all that truly exists. They see God everywhere and see no other. Their mind and soul awaken to see that this whole world is the image of God. Thus they see God is all regions and all they see is the sweetness of the Lord. Their way of looking at the world changes and they realize that God is everywhere and always with them. Such is the power of faith in the Naam.

Overall Meaning:

ਮੰਨੈ ਮੁਹਿ ਚੋਟਾ ਨਾ ਖਾਇ ॥

Man-nai Muh(i) Choataa Na Khaa(e)eh.

After placing faith in the Naam, one is not beaten on the face with the stick of vice

ਮੰਨੈ ਜਮ ਕੈ ਸਾਥਿ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥

Man-nai Jam Kai Saath(i) Na Jaa(e)eh.

After placing faith in the Naam, one does not have to accompany the dark angels of death (one is saved from the cycle of death and rebirth)

Word By Word:

ਮੰਨੈ -Man-nai

ਮੁਹਿ -Muh(i) - on the face

ਚੋਟਾ -Choataa - stick, beatings with a stick

ਨਾ -Na -negation word, no , won't

ਖਾਇ -Khaa(e)eh-to eat , to receive

ਮੰਨੈ -Man-nai

ਜਮ -Jam -death's dark angel, death’s demon,

ਕੈ -Kai - of (the Jam(dark angel) in this case)

ਸਾਥਿ -Saath(i) - with, accompanying (to accompany)

ਨ -Na -negation word, no,won't

ਜਾਇ -Jaa(e)eh-to go

In a Nutshell :

Those who place faith in the Naam will not eat beatings with the stick of vice. They will remain above the holds of lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego. They will not have to keep coming and going, stuck in the painful cycle of reincarnation. They will not accompany the Jam, the dark angels of death.

A Little Deeper:

The whole world is attacked with the five vices. Humans are beaten day and night with the stick of lust, anger, greed, ego and attachment. They are driven by these thirsts and the consequences of their actions cause unbearable pain, much like being beaten in the face by a stick. Those who place their faith in the Naam have the power to overcome these vices. They do not get beaten by them but through the Naam they transcend over these five thieves. They don’t have to go with the Jam meaning they don't have to face the path of death. They become immortal and they attain freedom from reincarnation. The Jam symbolize the horrid cycle of death and rebirth. Those who have placed their belief in the one Naam alone are saved in this world from the pain of vice and in the world hereafter from the fear of death!

Overall Meaning:

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

Such is the greatness of the Naam, which is beyond the hold of the world and maya

Only if one were to place faith in the Naam and search within, only than could they experience such greatness within their souls (minds)

Word By Word:

ਐਸਾ -(A)aisaa -such is, like this, such a height, the Naam is so high, such is the greatness of the Naam

ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ-Nehranjn(u) -immune from the world/immune from maya/detached from creation and its turmoils

ਜੇ -Jay -of

ਕੋ-Koa -one human,one person, any person.ayone

ਮੰਨਿ -Mnan(i) –we’re to believe, were to place faith in the Naam of the timeless being

ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ -Mnan(i) Jaanai- to place faith and look, to place faith and search within, to look within with faith and belief, to take a look after

ਮਨਿ -Man(i) - within the mind, soul

In a Nutshell :

Such is the greatness of the Naam. It is above the material world, unattached from all. Only one who places faith in this Naam can know the state of one who places faith within the Naam. Only the one who believes can know the greatness of those who believe.

A Little Deeper:

The Naam is so great that only it brings tremendous joy to the mind of the believer. This joy is beyond the material world. The Naam is beyond the material world. When one attaches to the Naam their state also transcends the material world. Those whose state is still stuck in maya and worldliness, those who haven't tasted the Naam, how can they know the joy? How does one describe the indescribable? Only those who taste the Naam can know the flavor.

Whole Pauri- Word for Word from the Teeka

If inside a human’s mind/soul , their attachment is attached to God, and if their consciousness becomes high (great), then within their mind/soul is a great awakening (meaning they are no longer asleep to maya/to worldliness, their once asleep under maya mind/soul awakens). They obtain an understanding of all the realms and regions ( that God is omnipresent in all places). That human does not (eat) face beating on the face with the stick ( of the worlds vices, namely lust, anger, greed, ego, attachment) and does not have to accompany the jam (demons of death, deaths dark angels, meaning that they don't get stuck in this cycle of life and death and rebirth, they are saved from it).The Naam of the timeless being is very high, and it is beyond the reach, care, hold of maya ( those who bind with this Naam, their spiritual reach becomes that high, but this (the height of their reach) but this height can only be understood by those who have attached themselves to the Naam, and take the effort to look within their own souls. Meaning, the love for the sweet charan (feet, symbolic of shelter) brings light with the mind/soul of a human, and that human sees God everywhere in the world. They are not hit with the stick of vice and death can't scare them.13.

More Veechar

There is nothing more powerful than belief in the Naam. The power of this belief can only be known to one who believes. The state of the believer is beyond all description . The Naam of the timeless being is beyond the world and beyond the holds of maya. One can only experience this greatness if they place their faith in the Naam otherwise they will never be able to comprehend it. After placing faith in the naam the sleeping mind is awakened. The human no longer has to lie asleep under the false facade of this world. They understand the essence of life. They understand that God is the root of all and that there is none but God. They find their permanent home and they see only God everywhere. The illusion of pain and pleasure is God. All they see is the state of God's glory. They see God in every atom of creation, in all the regions and nether-regions. They have knowledge of all places and interspaces and they see the sweet lord everywhere. Due to this, they are able to rise above the five vices. The vices which beat this whole world, they are immune. They do not face beatings, they do not face the consequences that these vices leave on their souls and body. The stick of vice spares them and they rise above lust, anger, greed, ego, and attachment by placing their faith in the Naam. They rise above death as well. They do not have to worry about going with the jam (jamdhoot, dark angels of death) because they merge with the Lord and do not ever have to leave God's embrace! The jam symbolize the path of rebirth. One who believes in God does not have to take this path. They transcend above it all. The Naam carries them above pain and pleasure, birth and death! Such is the power of the Naam, which is beyond the world, and can only be known by the believer!

Fourteenth pauri:

Overall Meaning:

ਮੰਨੈ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਠਾਕ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥

Man-nai Maarag(i) Thaak Na Paa(e)eh.

After placing faith in the Naam, no obstacle can stand in one's way, nothing can block the path

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਜਾਇ ॥

Man-nai Pat(i) Seho(u) Pargat(u) Jaa(e)eh.

After placing faith in the Naam, one departs this world with great honor and fame

Word By Word:

ਮੰਨੈ -Man-nai -if one were to believe, if ones thirst was to become attached to the Naam, after placing faith in the Naam, after believing in the Naam

ਮਾਰਗਿ -Maarag(i) -path, road, way

ਠਾਕ -Thaak -obstacle, something which blocks the path, a stop

ਨ -Na -negation word, no , won't

ਪਾਇ - Paa(e)eh- to obtain, to get

ਠਾਕ ਨ ਪਾਇ-Thaak Na Paa(e)eh.-obstacles are not obtained (met), obstacles are not run in to,

ਪਤਿ -Pat(i) - honor, greatness

ਸਿਉ - Seho(u) -with

ਪਤਿ ਸਿਉ-Pat(i) Seho(u)-with honor and greatness

ਪਰਗਟੁ - Pargat(u) -to be famous, to be known

ਜਾਇ - Jaa(e)eh.-to go,to be done

In a Nutshell :

After placing faith in the Naam, one does not meet with any obstacles in life. They leave this world with honor and fame. They have greatness here and hereafter.

A Little Deeper:

The Naam is so powerful that by placing the faith in it, one's life journey becomes clear and free of obstacles. The Naam guides one straight on and they do not have to worry about this world. Their soul moves onwards to God and they don't get stuck in the web of maya (wordliness). They don't worry about honor or dishonor. They obtain the greatest honor. They leave this world with greatness and glory. Such is the power of placing faith in the Naam.

Overall Meaning:

ਮੰਨੈ ਮਗੁ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਪੰਥੁ ॥

Man-nai Mag(u) Na Chalai Panth(i).

After placing faith in the Naam, one does not wander in useless rites, rituals and customs

ਮੰਨੈ ਧਰਮ ਸੇਤੀ ਸਨਬੰਧੁ ॥

Man-nai dharam Saytee Sanbandth(u)

After placing faith in the Naam, one makes a straight relationship, connection with real dharma (true religion, true righteousness, away from false rituals)

Word By Word:

ਮਗੁ - Mag(u) -road, path

ਨ -Na -negation word, no , won't

ਚਲੈ -Chalai -to go

ਪੰਥੁ -Panth(i)-path, road

ਧਰਮ -Dharam - true religion, true righteousness, true dharma

ਸੇਤੀ -Saytee - with

ਸਨਬੰਧੁ - Sanbandth(u)- connection, relationship

Why is there a (u) aunkaar (ੁ) at the end of the word 'ਪੰਥੁ', Panth(u)?- (a) According to the common rules of grammar there should be a siharee (ਿ) (eh) here, but in Sanskrit, the common trend of this rule is that when talking about long-long times, than instead of using the locative case the object case is used. The nature of that rule is used a little in old-Punjabi as well

For example

(੧) ਗਾਵਨਿ ਤੁਧ ਨੋ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਪੜਨਿ ਰਖੀਸਰ, 'ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ' ਵੇਦਾ ਨਾਲੇ। (ਪਉੜੀ ੨੦)।

(1) Gaavan(i) Tudh Noa Pandit Pardhan(i) Rakheesar, Jug(u) Jug(u) Vaydaa Naalay.(pauri 20).

(੨) ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਭਗਤ ਉਪਾਇਆ, ਪੈਜ ਰਖਦਾ ਆਇਆ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਜੇ।

(2) Jug(u) Jug(u) Bhagat O(u)Paa(e)eh(a)aa,Paij Rakhdaa (A)aa(e)eh(a)aa Raam Raajay.

(੩) ਸਾਵਣਿ ਵਰਸੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ 'ਜਗੁ' ਛਾਇਆ ਜੀਉ। (ਗਉੜੀ ਮਾਝ ਮ: ੪)।

(3) Saavan(i) Varas(u) Anmeh®t(i) 'jug(u)' Chaa(e)eh(a)aa Jeeo(u). (Go(u)rdhee Maajh M:4).

(੪) ਬਾਵੈ 'ਮਾਰਗੁ' ਟੇਢਾ ਚਲਣਾ। ਸੀਧਾ ਛੋਡਿ ਅਪੂਠਾ ਬੁਨਨਾ।੩।੨੯।੯੮। (ਗਾਉੜੀ ਗੁਆਰੇਰੀ ਮ: ੫)।

Baawai 'Maarag(u)' Taydha Chalnaa. Sedhee Choad(i) Apoothaa Bunanaa.3.29.99.(Go(u)rdhee Gu(a)aarayree M:5).

ਮਗੁ= Mag(u)=path,way

In Guru Granth Sahib Ji's Bani both words are used

(੧) 'ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪੰਥ ਚਲੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਿਖਾ।' (ਤੁਖਾਰੀ ਛੰਤ ਮ: ੪)।

(1) ' Maarag(i) Panth Chalay Gur Sat(i)gur Sang Sikhaa.'(Tukharee Chant M:4).

(੨) ਮੁੰਧ ਨੈਣ ਭਰੇਦੀ, ਗੁਣ ਸਾਰੇਦੀ , ਕਿਉਂ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮਿਲਾ ਪਿਆਰੇ। ਮਾਰਗੁ ਪੰਥੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਉ ਬਿਖੜਾ, ਕਿਉ ਪਾਈਐ ਪਿਰ ਪਾਰੇ। (ਤੁਖਾਰੀ ਮ: ੧)।

(2) Mundh Nain Bharaydee, Gun Saaraydee, Keho(u)(n) Prabh Mehlaa Peh(a)aaray. Maarag(u) Panth(u) Na Jaano(u) Behkrdha, Keho(u) Paa(e)eh(a)ai Peh Paaray. (Tukharee M:1)

In a Nutshell :

When one places their faith in the Naam, all other fruitless efforts vanish. After a person places their faith in the Naam alone, then that person does not need to follow blind rituals. They do not need to wander lost in the ways of this world. They find the essence of dharma and attach themselves to it. The Naam makes it clear. Such is the power of placing one's faith in the Naam.

A Little Deeper:

So many religions lay down so many different doctrines. What is the true path to God. When one attaches themselves directly to God, to the Naam, then the path is clear and one does not engage in fruitless religious rituals and customs. They find the true dharma, and the true religion. Haziness and confusion vanish. A person doesn’t need good and bad omens. They don’t need anything but the one Naam. That is their only hope and the only thing they place their faith it. They truly attach themselves to the heart of real dharma.

Overall Meaning:

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

Word By Word:

ਐਸਾ -(A)aisaa -such is, like this, such a hieght, the Naam is so high, such is the greatness of the Naam

ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ-Nehranjn(u) -immune from the world/immune from maya/detached from creation and its turmoil

ਜੇ -Jay -of

ਕੋ-Koa -one human, one person, any person, anyone

ਮੰਨਿ -Mnan(i) -wer'e to believe, were to place faith in the Naam of the timeless being

In a Nutshell :

A Little Deeper:

Whole Pauri - Word by Word from teeka

ਫਿਰ (ਦੁਨੀਆਂ ਦੇ ਵੱਖੋ-ਵੱਖਰੇ ਮਜ਼ਹਬਾਂ ਦੇ ਦੱਸੇ) ਰਸਤਿਆਂ 'ਤੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਤੁਰਦਾ (ਭਾਵ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਇਹ ਵਿਖੇਪਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਰਸਤਾ ਚੰਗਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਇਹ ਮੰਦਾ ਹੈ)।

। ਹੋਰ ਲਾਂਭ ਦੀਆਂ ਪਗ-ਡੰਡੀਆਂ ਉਸਨੂੰ ਕੁਰਾਹੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾ ਸਕਦੀਆਂ।੧੪।

If a human becomes faithful to the Naam, only then in their life's joruney will the views of others not cause hindrance. (In this world) they will leave life after having obtained praise and honor. That human becomes attached on the straight road to righteousness (dharam) rather than the different paths seen in this world.

The Naam of the timeless being is very high, and it is beyond the reach, care, hold of maya (those who bind with this Naam, their spiritual reach becomes that high, but this height can only be understood by those who have attached themselves to the Naam, and take the effort to look within their own souls.

Meaning- With the never ending blessing (barkati) of remembering the Naam, whichever human falls in love with the Lord, in the form of simran, they form a deep relationship with true dharma, so deep that no obstacle or hinderence can come in the way.

More Veechar- Guru Ji once again tells us of the power of placing faith in the Naam. One who places their faith in the Naam faces no obstacles in the journey of their life. They don't have to worry because they have surrendered to the Naam. They have full faith that the Naam will deliver them . They soar through life’s ups and downs in a state of bliss. They leave this world with great honor and fame. They do not get lost in empty pointless rituals. They do not get lost in the ways of the world. They escape the clutches of maya. The Naam carries them above the web of worldliness. They don't waste time with other hopes and efforts. They find the straight road to God, the road to true dharma. They don't hop around in ponds and puddles (different religions, different rituals) but through meditating and placing faith in the one Naam alone, they find God, the ocean. They don't need a middle man to show them the way. They don’t need to rely on shamans and tantric spells, or fasts, or ritual cleansing. They don't need to worry about good and bad omens. They lose their thoughts of pain and pleasure and live in a great state of bliss attached to the Naam alone. This is the true essence of dharma. Such is the power of placing faith in the Naam. The Naam is above the hold of maya, the state of the believer in the Naam, can only be known to the believer alone!

Fifteenth pauri:

Overall Meaning:

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥

Man-nai Paaveh(i) Moakh(u) Du(a)aar(u).

After placing faith in the Naam one finds the door to liberation from birth and death, they find purity, free from falsehood

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਰਵਾਰੈ ਸਾਧਾਰੁ ॥

Man-nai Parvaarai Saadhaar(u).

After placing faith in the Naam, one saves their whole family by inspiring them to take the support and shelter of the timeless being

Word By Word:

ਮੰਨੈ -Man-nai-if one were to believe, if ones thirst was to become attached to the Naam, after placing faith in the Naam, after believing in the Naam

ਪਾਵਹਿ -Paaveh(i) - to find (can also mean obtain)

ਮੋਖੁ -Moakh(u) -liberation from birth and death

ਦੁਆਰੁ -Du(a)aar(u)- door

ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ-Moakh(u) Du(a)aar(u)- door of liberation, the path to purity of and freedom from falseness

ਮੰਨੈ -Man-nai-if one were to believe, if ones thirst was to become attached to the Naam, after placing faith in the Naam, after believing in the Naam

ਪਰਵਾਰੈ -Parvaarai -to the family, to do something to the family

ਸਾਧਾਰੁ -Saadhaar(u).-to save/to give support/to attach to the support of the timeless being

In a Nutshell :

After placing faith in the Naam, one finds the door of liberation. They help their family come into the shelter of God, the timeless being as well.

A Little Deeper:

When one places all their faith in the Naam, then it is the Naam that leads them to salvation. It is the Naam which leads them to break away from this wall of falseness and it is the naam which saves their souls. After one places their faith in the Naam, they inspire others to do the same and help their whole family swim across and place their hopes solely on the Lord. They help all they know find shelter in God alone. By doing this, they carry so many across and help them find salvation.

Overall Meaning:

ਮੰਨੈ ਤਰੈ ਤਾਰੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ॥

Man-nai Tarai Taaray Gur(u) Sehkh.

After placing belief in the Naam, the Guru swims across this ocean like world and causes Sikhs to swim across as well

ਮੰਨੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਵਹਿ ਨ ਭਿਖ ॥

Man-nai Naanak Bhaveh(i) Na Bhehkh,

Oh Naanak, After placing belief in the Naam, one does not have to run around from door to door, shelter to shelter begging for their needs

Word By Word:

ਤਰੈ -Tarai - to swim across, to cross over

ਤਾਰੇ -Taaray -to make swim across/ carry across/to help swim across

ਗੁਰੁ -Gur(u) - the Guru, (see beginning for meaning of Guru)

ਤਰੈ ਗੁਰੁ Tarai Gur(u)- The Guru swims across the world ocean

ਸਿਖ -Sehkh- to the Sikhs . to do something to the Sikhs, Sikhs=students, disciples, Sikhs of the Guru

ਤਾਰੇ ਸਿਖ-Taaray Sehkh- to carry Sikhs across, to make Sikhs swim across

ਨਾਨਕ -Naanak - Oh Naanak

ਭਵਹਿ -Bhaveh(i) - to have to do something/to need to do something

ਨ -Na negation word, no , won't

ਭਵਹਿ ਨ-Bhaveh(i) Na- don't need to, don't have to

ਭਿਖ - Bhehkh- to beg for ones needs

ਭਵਹਿ ਨ ਭਿਖ-Bhaveh(i) Na Bhehkh- don't need to run around begging for one's need place to place, no need to run around shelter to shelter

In a Nutshell :

After placing faith in the Naam both the Guru and the Sikh swim across this world Ocean. Oh Naanak, after one places faith in the Naam, they do not have to wander door to door, looking for shelter and begging others for their needs.

Little Deeper:

The Naam is so powerful that it is by placing faith in the Naam, that the Guru and Sikh both swim across this world ocean . The Naam carries all who believe in it across the darkness of this world and above maya. SatGuru Nanak tells us that one who places their faith in the Naam will never have to beg from another door. They will obtain everything from the Naam. They will only seek shelter in the Naam. They will never need to turn to another, the Naam will satisfy all their needs forever !

Overall Meaning:

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

Word By Word:

ਐਸਾ -(A)aisaa -such is, like this, such a hieght, the Naam is so high, such is the greatness of the Naam

ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ-Nehranjn(u) -immune from the world/immune from maya/detached from creation and its turmoils

ਜੇ -Jay -of

ਕੋ-Koa -one human,one person, any person.ayone

ਮੰਨਿ -Mnan(i) -wer'e to believe, were to place faith in the Naam of the timeless being

In a Nutshell :

Such is the greatness of the Naam. It is above the matiral world, unattached from all. Only one who places faith in this Naam can know the state of one who places faith within the Naam. Only the one who believes can know the greatness of those who believe.

Meaning of Pauri (Word for Word from Teeka)

After a human becomes attached in attachment to the Naam, then they find the road to purity and out of falsehood . Such a human, inspires their whole family into taking the shelter of the Timeless being; God. After placing the mind's faith in the Naam, The SatGuru (himself /crosses over from within this world ocean) , and makes all the Sikhs swim across this ocean as well. They do not have to go wander from shelter to shelter to seek support for their needs. The Naam of the timeless being is very high, and it is beyond the reach, care, hold of maya (those who bind with this Naam, their spiritual reach becomes that high, but this (the height of their reach) but this height can only be understood by those who have attached themselves to the Naam, and take the effort to look within their own souls meaning. Meaning: With the blessing of attachment to the Naam, all those fetters and chains, which tie down the soul and keep it distant from God, all those heavy chains (bandhan) are broken. Such a person doesn't only save himself but he helps all the souls of his family follow and attach themselves to the Lord. This is a gift which is received from the Guru that such a soul doesn't leave the door of the Lord to go begging and wandering to another, pushed around place to place .

Note- In Jap(u) Jee Sahib the word Sehkh comes written in different forms, look at the lines below and see.

(੧) ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ, ਜੇ ਇਕ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ। (ਪਉੜੀ ੬)।

(1) Mat(i) Vehch(i) Ratan Javaahar Maaneh, Jay Eh(e)k Gur Kee Sehkh Sunee.(Pauri 6).

(੨) ਮੰਨੈ ਤਰੈ ਤਾਰੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ। (ਪਉੜੀ ੧੫)

(2)Man-nai Tarai Taaray Gur(u) Sehkh.(Pauri 15)

In the first line the word Sehkh is a feminine gendered word. The (partner) the adjective before it Eh(e)k is also feminine. Due to the fact, it is singular and the vowel (ੁ) (u) is not written underneath, because that vowel is used only for the masculine case. In the second example the word Sehkh is plural and masculine.

*note in the 12th pauri, the word 'ਮੰਨੇ Man-nay' appears twice, everywhere else it is ਮੰਨੈ Man-nai. The meaning of both words are different. The first tukh is ('ਮੰਨੇ Man-nay') -ਮੰਨੇ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਜਾਇ'।Man-nay Kee Gat(eh) Kahee Na Jaa(e)eh. Also in this pauri comes the fourth line ਮੰਨੇ ਕਾ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥ - Man-nay Kaa Bheh Karan(i) Veechaar(u) (is discussed) . So Man-nay ਮੰਨੇ means the person of faith, the person who has placed their faith in the Naam. Everywhere else the word 'ਮੰਨੈ' Man-nai is written, Just like the last four pauris where 'ਸੁਣਿਐ' Suneh(a)ai was written.'ਸੁਣਿਐ' Suneh(a)ai means by attaching the consciousness with the Naam, after binding the consciousness with the Naam. 'ਮੰਨੈ' Man-nai means by having/placing faith in the Naam, after having placed faith in the Naam.

More Veechar

The Naam is so powerful, that faith in the Naam leads one to salvation . It helps one break away from the falsehood of this world and find purity . It carries all who believe across the ocean of maya. One who places faith in the Naam, saves his whole family and inspires them to take the shelter of God. Belief in the Naam makes the Guru swim across and carry Sikhs across as well. The Naam is everything and one who has belief in it rises above the world and maya. They become content in the Naam. They do not need to search anywhere else. They do not need to go begging from door to door in order to fill their wants and needs. They receive all the fruits of their desires solely through the Naam. Such is the height of the Naam of the timeless being, it is beyond the hold of maya, only one who believes in the Naam, can know the greatness of the state of the believer !

Edited by dalsingh101

fateh g

Prof ji explains that the correct spelling is with a tippi

there r three parts

the ik the number meaning one

second part is the word onang which means bhram-God

in Punjabi it is spelled with a tippi

so transliteration cant b trusted unless there is a key with gurmikhi akkhars

its like the word namastang or ajooni saibhung the ng is usually a tippi sound

so its ik oang and the last part is kaar which means an infinate or endless force that is constant

Prof ji explains that the word is made of these three parts

this will be explained in detail at the moolmantr section

Sixteenth pauri:

Overall Meaning:

ਪੰਚ ਪਰਵਾਣ ਪੰਚ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ॥

Panch Parvaan Panch Pardhaan(u)..

The Panch, the supreme ones who attach their consciousness to the Naam and place their faith in the Naam, those Panch are accepted and approved, they are the leaders and guides of all

ਪੰਚੇ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਦਰਗਹਿ ਮਾਨੁ ॥

Panchay Paavheh Dargheh Maan(u)..

Those supreme ones who bind their consciousness with the Naam and place their faith in the Naam, such supreme ones receive great glory in the court of the Lord

Word By Word:

ਪੰਚ -Panch -Those humans who have attached their consciousness (Suneh(a)aa) to and placed their faith (Maneh(a)aa) to/in the Naam. Those whose consciousness is attached and those within whom faith has welled up (to/in the Naam) Those who are attached to the Naam, and believe in the Naam.

ਪਰਵਾਣ -Parvaan -accepted, approved

ਪੰਚ -Panch- Those humans who have attached their consciousness (Suneh(a)aa) to and placed their faith (Maneh(a)aa) to/in the Naam. Those whose consciousness is attached and those within whom faith has welled up (to/in the Naam) Those who are attached to the Naam, and believe in the Naam.

ਪਰਧਾਨੁ - Pardhaan(u)-leader, great, magnificently majestic

ਪੰਚੇ -Panchay -Saints..they, Saintly beings...they, Those humans who have attached their consciousness (Suneh(a)aa) to and placed their faith (Maneh(a)aa) to/in the Naam. Those whose consciousness is attached and those within whom faith has welled up (to/in the Naam) Those who are attached to the Naam, and believe in the Naam (Panch)....they

ਪਾਵਹਿ -Paavheh - To obtain/to put/to receive

ਦਰਗਹਿ -Dargheh - The Court of God, the timeless being, God's hall, God's court

ਮਾਨੁ - Maan(u)- Honor/respect/glory/glorious greatness

In a Nutshell :

Those great Saints, those panch who have attached their consciousness to the Naam and put their faith solely in the Naam, those saints are honored. They are accepted and loved by all . In this life they have love for God and hereafter they are lovingly embraced and accepted into his court. They are the guides, the leaders of all and they earn great praise and honor in Darbar of the Timeless Being. Such is the power of the Naam.

Little Deeper:

Those who love God, those who attach themselves to his Naam and put all their hope and faith in the Naam, those souls are glorious. They are full of honor and they are welcomed in the Court of God. They have made a relationship with God in this life through attaching their consciousness to the Naam (Suneh(a)aa) and placing all their faith (Maneh(a)aa) , their hopes and desires in the Naam of the Lord. What fear do they have about the beyond? They are in love with God now and even when their body dies their love will live on. They obtain God while still in this human body! Their inner consciousness is merged with the Naam and they transcend this world. They are guides and leaders for all. They obtain glorious greatness and honor in God's court. They are embraced lovingly by God here and hereafter. Death of the body is nothing for them ! They are aware of God's everlasting presence and their soul’s immortality! Their consciousness is supreme and they glow radiantly in God's court!

Overall Meaning:

ਪੰਚੇ ਸੋਹਹਿ ਦਰਿ ਰਾਜਾਨੁ ॥

Panchay Soah-heh Dareh Raajaan(u)..

Those great Panch, the ones who attach their consciousness to the Naam and place their faith in the Naam, they look so praiseworthily beautiful in the Court of God, the King of Kings

ਪੰਚਾ ਕਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਏਕੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

Pancha Kaa Gur(u) (E)ayk(u) Dheh(a)aan(u)..

Those great Panch , have one target of consciousness, their only target is the Guru

Word By Word:

ਪੰਚੇ -Panchay- Saints..they, Saintly beings...they, Those humans who have attached their consciousness (Suneh(a)aa) to and placed their faith (Maneh(a)aa) to/in the Naam. Those whose consciousness is attached and those within whom faith has welled up (to/in the Naam) Those who are attached to the Naam, and believe in the Naam (Panch)....they

ਸੋਹਹਿ -Soah-heh- to be beauteous, to look beautiful, to be full of beauty

ਦਰਿ -Dareh - door, gate, at the court of the timeless being; God

ਰਾਜਾਨੁ - Raajaan(u)-The King of Kings (God)

ਪੰਚਾ -Pancha -Saints..they, Saintly beings...they, Those humans who have attached their consciousness (Suneh(a)aa) to and placed their faith (Maneh(a)aa) to/in the Naam. Those whose consciousness is attached and those within whom faith has welled up (to/in the Naam) Those who are attached to the Naam, and believe in the Naam (Panch)....they

ਕਾ -Kaa -of (the)

ਗੁਰੁ -Gur(u) - Guru (see beginning meaning of Guru)

ਏਕੁ -(E)ayk(u) -one/one and only/one/only/one sole

ਗੁਰੁ ਏਕੁ-soley of the Guru, only of the Guru, one alone which is the Guru

ਧਿਆਨੁ - Dheh(a)aan(u)-target/aim/goal of consciousness

In a Nutshell :

Those beings, whose consciousness remains attached to the Naam and those beings within whom attachment to the Lord is formed, those people (here, in this world) become respected (ਮੰਨੇ-ਪ੍ਰਮੰਨੇ) , they are the guides, the leaders of all. In the court of the Lord as well, those panch-saints (those who have attached their consciousness to and placed their faith in the Naam) , obtain great honor and glorious veneration. In the Kingdom Court of God they look praiseworthily beautiful (ਸੋਭਦੇ). The goal, the sole aim and target of the consciousness of these saints, these panch, is the Guru alone ( meaning, their consciousness is always bound to the Gur-Shabad, they are always attached to the Gur-Shabad, this is their true aim and goal).*note: The word Panch is for those people who have been described (discussed) in the last eight pauris.

A Little Deeper:

Those radiantly glowing panch look so beautiful in the court of the King of Kings (God). They shine of God's light. Their faces are brilliant and their aura is magnificent! These are the Saints- the glorious beings who have merged with God by attaching to the Naam and placing faith within the Naam. The only thing that these Saints think about is the glory of the Naam, the glory of the Gurshabad. They are emerged in the Gurshabad. They have given up lust, anger, greed, ego and attachment and found the true jewel of this human life; the Lord. They have realized that this life is temporary and God alone is permanent and his glory is never ending. They climb the ladder of this glory. Moment by Moment they remain merged in the never ending song, the never ending story, the never ending ocean of God's love and glory. Their minds are attuned to the everlasting Lord. They long only for the Lord and their consciousness never leaves God's side! Their only interest is the Guru and through hearing the story of the Guru's praise, binding their consciousness with the Guru, the Naam, and trusting the Guru, placing all faith in the Guru, these saints merge with the Guru, transcend this world, and find never ending glorious greatness.

Overall Meaning:

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਕਰੈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

Jay Koa Kahai Karai Veevhaar(u)..

However, even by binding with and believing in the Naam, even if one such panch tries to speak of and describe the limits of creation

ਕਰਤੇ ਕੈ ਕਰਣੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਸੁਮਾਰੁ ॥

Kartay Kai Karnai Nahee Sumaar(u).

The account of the Creator's creation can never be measured or written (The limits of creation can never be found.)

Word By Word:

ਜੇ -Jay -If

ਕੋ -Koa -.anybody, someone

ਕਹੈ -Kahai -to say, to speak of

ਕਰੈ -Karai - to do

ਵੀਚਾਰੁ - Veevhaar(u)-Description (of Gods creation), discussion (of God's creation)

ਕਰਤੇ -Kartay - God, the creator

ਕੈ -Kai -of

ਕਰਣੈ -Karnai -creation, what God has made

ਕਰਤੇ ਕੈ ਕਰਣੈ-Kartay Kai Karnai-(of) the creation of the Creator Lord, of what God has created

ਨਾਹੀ -Nahee -negation word, can't,are unable to

ਸੁਮਾਰੁ - Sumaar(u)-account, written account, written

In a Nutshell :

However this one outcome can never come from binding with the Shabad, which is that of the human being, any human being, obtaining the ability to find the limits of God's created expanse. The creation of the Timeless Being's account can never be written (meaning the limits can never be known). Even if one tries to speak of and describe it (The desire to find the limits of God and his creation cannot be fulfilled by any human in their lifetime). * Note; Once again, in ancient times some rishi or munee would go to the jungle to undergo rigorous discipline , These were the ones (rishis) who wrote the Upanishadas. These are very old historic ancient scriptures. Some of them discuss when the world was made, why it was made and how it was made, how big it is, so on and so forth. Those rishis who went for the purpose of performing devotional worship, instead of partaking in this worship, they got involved in an effort which is very far beyond the understanding of any human being. Here Satguru Ji is pointing towards this blunder. The consequence of these efforts was that common people believed this mythical falsehood that our Earth is being carried (held up) by a bull. Satguru Ji took this illustration and condemned it and proclaimed that God's creation is infinite, and the one who created it is also never ending!

A Little Deeper:

These panch these saints merge into God's glorious greatness. This greatness never ends. It is always new and beautiful. It only expands day by day. The consciousness never grows weary it can never be boxed in, the pleasure of God can never be worn out because God is infinite. The consciousness will never reach a limit, it will keep soaring higher and higher. Other pleasures leave the soul unsatisfied and leave one in a state on ennui. Some things seem exiting at first but when done day in and day out they become warn out. God is always ever fresh, ever new and existing. The story of God's love is never ending. Even if one were to remain merged in the shabad, they still would not find the limits of God. They could never uncover God's mystery and greatness, It is too vast ! No human in their lifetime can ever unlock God's glory! No one can find the limits of God. No one can know the limits of what God has made. There is no human being who can describe how and when all of creation, all the realms and universes were made. Life is so small and short. Creation is never ending and limitless. Which human being can comprehend the secrets of God? There is no saint who can know God's secrets . There is no saint who can know the limits of God's creation. This line is directed also at the yogis and seekers who used to go into the jungle and dit in deep meditation . They would go for years to seek answers and contemplate God and the universe. Needless to say their efforts were useless. They tried over and over but could not get answers to their many questions about God and the origin of creation. What happened as a consequence though was that a myth came about stating that the world was being supported by a bull. People all over began to seriously believe that Earth was being carried on the back of a bull! Guru Nanak Dev Ji addresses this myth in this pauri. Guru Ji tells us that God's secrets are vast and the idea of a bull holding the Earth on it's back is ridiculous as is a human thinking that they can figure out the workings of the limitless Lord.

Overall Meaning:

ਧੌਲੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦਇਆ ਕਾ ਪੂਤੁ ॥

Dhoal(u) Dharam(u) D(e)eh(a)aa Ka Poot(u)..

God's rules and laws, Dharma, is the supposed bull which supports this Earth. These laws are the son of God's sweet compassion (meaning out of God's kind compassion came the laws which support the Earth and it is these laws not a mythical bull which keeps the earth up in place)

ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਥਾਪਿ ਰਖਿਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਸੂਤਿ ॥

Santoakh(u) Thaap(i) Rakheh(a)aa Jehneh Soot(i).

From these rules (this Dharma) comes contentment (From this Dharma everything is kept in line and there is harmony).

Word By Word:

ਧੌਲੁ -Dhoal(u) -Bull

ਧਰਮੁ -Dharam(u) -the rules of the timeless being; God, the laws of God

ਦਇਆ -D(e)eh(a)aa -compassion, mercy

ਕਾ -Ka -of

ਪੂਤੁ -Poot(u)..-son,child

ਦਇਆ ਕਾ ਪੂਤੁ-D(e)eh(a)aa Ka Poot(u)-The son of compassion, being raised from compassion and righteousness, what is raised (brought up, what results) from compassion and righteousness, in that heart where there is compassion righteousness flourishes

ਸੰਤੋਖੁ -Santoakh(u) -to contentment, to satisfaction

ਥਾਪਿ -Thaap(i) -stand, keep standing, keep up, keep standing

ਰਖਿਆ -Rakheh(a)aa -keep/ place

ਥਾਪਿ ਰਖਿਆ -Thaap(i) Rakheh(a)aa -to keep in place/keep existing, to keep in existence, keep standing up, to raise up

ਜਿਨਿ -Jehneh -one which/ the (righteousness/dharam) which

ਸੂਤਿ - Soot(i)-principles/rules/laws

In a Nutshell :

The Timeless being's (in the form of righteousness) fixed rules (laws by which creation is bound) are in fact the bull which support the Earth. This righteousness is the son of compassion (meaning The Timeless being in his compassionate mercy made various laws and rules (in the form of dharam/ righteousness) in order to keep creation standing in it's place.) This righteousness gave birth to contentment/satisfaction. If any human can understand this concept (the one explained above) that they become fit, the parkash (display) of the Timeless Being is seen within them. If not, then think about this, how much infinite weight (the weight of the whole world) must be under this supposed bull ! The other concept is this that under this world (Earth) there is a bull supporting it, under this bull there is another Earth to support it, under that Earth there is another bull to give it support, like this there are more and more bulls, so in this sense what is there, what is left to support the final bull?

Meaning: Those humans are lucky and they have high destiny, who have made following told way of the Guru the desire(aim) of their life. Those who have attached their consciousness with the Naam, those who have made a bond (relationship) of love with the Lord, by walking on this path they are pleased to live in the will od the the Lord. Naam Simran (this is their form of dharam/ righteousness) , the true dharam becomes their help and support in life. For that reason they live a contented (satisfied) life. However, a result of walking the way told by the Guru is not that one will be able to tell the limits of creation. Here, as deep a seeker is to how go, that is how much more infinite they realize that creation is. In reality (in the case shown) the only result of this impossible effort (to write/find the limits of creation) was that people believed the myth that this world is supported by a bull. The Limits of God and of creation can not be known . The desire to find the limits of God and his creation can not be fulfilled by any human in their lifetime).

A Little Deeper

The supposed bull (the force) which holds this earth is God's laws, the laws of nature. It is these laws that keep the universe in harmony, The various laws of nature, the laws of gravity, inertia, the laws of birth and death, the laws of the food chain, so many others , all these laws keep the world in peaceful equilibrium. These laws are the son of God's compassion meaning God in his mercy created the various laws of this world. God made the Earth, and God made water, God made the various states of water and God provided sunlight. God made beings born by womb and egg and even sweat ! God made life come from water ! God makes planets and stars and suns. When time is up, God through his dharma, through his rules, destroys these planets, suns, and stars. Everything God has ever made is subject to God's laws! The seasons, day and night, the tilt of this Earth , all are part of God's perfect order. If the angle of Earths tilt was even a millimeter off, if even a small detail were to be different , harmony would be ruined ! It is God's compassion which nourishes creation and upholds harmony. Guru Ji tells us that it is these laws of nature, which hold up the Earth and not a mythical bull!

Overall Meaning:

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਬੁਝੈ ਹੋਵੈ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ॥

Jay Koa Bujhai Hoavai Sacheh(a)aar(u)..

If one understands this then they are able(capable) to receive the inner display (parkash) of God, the timeless being

ਧਵਲੈ ਉਪਰਿ ਕੇਤਾ ਭਾਰੁ ॥

Dhavlai (O)upar(i) Kaytaa Bhaar(u)..

If not than how much infinite weight must be placed on the supposed bull

Word By Word:

ਜੇ -Jay -If

ਕੋ -Koa -anyone

ਬੁਝੈ -Bujhai -to understand

ਹੋਵੈ -Hoavai -to happen/to become

ਸਚਿਆਰੁ -Sacheh(a)aar(u)-able to have the display of truth within them

ਧਵਲੈ -Dhavlai -Earth,

ਉਪਰਿ -(O)upar(i) -On top of/above

ਭਾਰੁ - Bhaar(u)-weight

ਕੇਤਾ ਭਾਰੁ-Kaytaa Bhaar(u)- Infinite weight

In a Nutshell :

If one understands this, that everything is held in place by God's sweet compassion than they find the formless Lord, the timeless being, Akaal Purakh(u) within themselves. Otherwise think, how much weight must be on that supposed bull !

A Little Deeper:

If a person comes to understand that all things are held in place by the compassion of God than they become capable of seeing the display of truth within themselves. They realize God's sweet grace everywhere they go. If not than one should think how much weight, infinite weight, must be on the mythical bull. How can a bull hold all that? Who can measure it (Guru ji is showing the ridiculousness of this theory.)

note: In the first pauri of Japji Sahib the question was asked

ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ ॥

Kiv Sachiara Hoehai Kiv Kurai Tutai Pal

How does one obtain the abode of truth?

How is the heavy wall, the curtain, of falsehood broken?

That too was talking about becoming Sachiaar, this line of bani goes back to that same concept and question. If one were to understand the hukam, the mercy and love of God, which keeps everything in its place, If one were to surrender to the Naam, to God's kind compassionate grace then they obtain Sachiaar, the abode of truth and the wall of falsehood is broken. God's laws are within the hukam and God's great hukam is full of love. Those who surrender to it and realize the presence of it and realize the hukam is the power for all of creation , they become Sachiaar.

Overall Meaning:

ਧਰਤੀ ਹੋਰੁ ਪਰੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਹੋਰੁ ॥

Dhartee Hoar(u) Parai Hoar(u) Hoar(u)..

(If that is the case) than underneath Earth there must be more bulls, underneath those more Earths, underneath more and more bulls (there are so many worlds, so according to this logic there must be so many more bulls)

ਤਿਸ ਤੇ ਭਾਰੁ ਤਲੈ ਕਵਣੁ ਜੋਰੁ ॥

Tehs Tay Bhaar(u) Talai Kavan(u) Joar(u)..

So what power holds the weight of all of them?

Word By Word:

ਧਰਤੀ -Dhartee -Earth

ਹੋਰੁ -Hoar(u) -more

ਧਰਤੀ ਹੋਰੁ-Dhartee Hoar(u) -Underneath the Earth more bulls

ਪਰੈ -Parai =beneath (those)

ਹੋਰੁ -Hoar(u) -more

ਹੋਰੁ -Hoar(u)..more

ਤਿਸ -Tehs -pronoun him/her /that/it (in this case describing the bull)

ਤੇ -Tay -of/from (something)

ਤਿਸ ਤੇ-Tehs Tay - of that bull/from that bull

ਭਾਰੁ -Bhaar(u) -weight

ਤਲੈ -Talai -under (that bull)

ਕਵਣੁ - Kavan(u) -which/what

ਜੋਰੁ - Joar(u)-support

ਕਵਣੁ ਜੋਰੁ-Kavan(u) Joar(u)- Which support/What Support

In a Nutshell :

If there is a bull holding the Earth than below that bull there must be another Earth. Under that Earth must be another bull. Where does it all end. Is it Earth,bull,Earth,bull,Earth,bull,Earth,bull......? What power

holds the weight of all this ? Another Earth another bull?

A Little Deeper:

Guru ji shows the folly of this bull theory? If we use this logic that what about under Earth's supposed bull, there is another Earth? And another bull? Beyond that another Earth, and another bull? Where does it end? The number of worlds are countless. There are so many universes and solar systems. How does the chain go on? What holds up the other Earths? Is it earth,bull,earth,bull,earth,bull,earth,bull, how is all this weight held? What is the ultimate support under all these Earths and bulls ! Guru ji shows us the backwardness of this myth! The only support of this universe is the Lord almighty. Through his laws he runs everything. One who realizes that the one support of the world is God and that all is in God's hands, that being sees the Lord within his soul!

Overall Meaning:

ਜੀਅ ਜਾਤਿ ਰੰਗਾ ਕੇ ਨਾਵ ॥

Jeea Jaateh Rangaa Kay Naav..

In the Universes, in all of creation, there are so many species, so many creatures, so many beings with so many categories, colors, and names

ਸਭਨਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਵੁੜੀ ਕਲਾਮ ॥

Sabhnaa Lehkeh(a)aa Vurdhee Kalaam..

All of creation, all the universes flow , they expand each and everyday day, God's pen is ever flowing, God writes the account of all, this written account never ends God's pen keeps going!

Word By Word:

ਜੀਅ -Jeea -all the beings

ਜਾਤਿ -Jaateh -types/kinds/classes/categories/species

ਰੰਗਾ -Rangaa -colors

ਕੇ -Kay -of

ਨਾਵ - Naav-names

ਕੇ ਨਾਵ.-Kay Naav-of many names/of countless names

ਸਭਨਾ -Sabhnaa -all of

ਲਿਖਿਆ -Lehkeh(a)aa -write

ਵੁੜੀ - Vurdhee -everflowing/continuous/nonstop

ਕਲਾਮ - Kalaam-pen

ਵੁੜੀ ਕਲਾਮ -Vurdhee Kalaam-pen that never stops flowing/pen that keeps going/continuous pen /pen which rights in one motion continuously

In a Nutshell :

The universe, the account of the names and colors and species of all beings and animals, God writes this with his ever-flowing and ever moving pen.

A Little Deeper:

The Universe is forever expanding! There are so many species and beings. Everyday species are beings born and dying. God writes the lekha of all with his ever flowing pen. The pen of God never stops .God keeps account or lekha of all. At any given second somewhere in creation countless are born and somewhere countless beings die! The universe keeps growing. Stars are always born and somewhere in creation they are always dying. So many are the galaxies and solar systems and life on countless planets. Creation is huge and each moment it gets bigger. This universe is God's project, God never stops unrolling his divine command upon all. The lekha of God, the hukam of God is endless!

Overall Meaning:

ਏਹੁ ਲੇਖਾ ਲਿਖਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੋਇ ॥

(E)ayh(u) Laykha Lekheh Jaanai Koa(e)eh

(Even) If one a rare someone were to possibly know how to write this account

ਲੇਖਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਕੇਤਾ ਹੋਇ ॥

Laykhaa Lehkeh(a)aa Kaytaa Hoa(e)eh

then how huge and infinite would this account be

Word By Word:

ਏਹੁ -(E)ayh(u) -this

ਲੇਖਾ -Laykha -written account

ਲਿਖਿ -Lekheh -to write

ਜਾਣੈ -Jaanai -to understand

ਲਿਖਿ ਜਾਣੈ-Lekheh Jaanai - to know how to write/to have the understanding to write

ਕੋਇ -Koa(e)eh-anyone (in this case a rare anyone/a are someone)

ਲੇਖਾ -Laykhaa -the written account

ਲਿਖਿਆ -Lehkeh(a)aa - to be written

ਲੇਖਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ-Laykhaa Lehkeh(a)aa-- (if) the written account were able to be written, If God's account were to be written

ਕੇਤਾ -Kaytaa -how big/how vast/how infinite

ਹੋਇ - Hoa(e)eh-to be/to be done/to become

ਕੇਤਾ ਹੋਇ-Kaytaa Hoa(e)eh-how big/ how infinite would (it) become/ how vastly deep would (it) be

In a Nutshell :

In creation there are so many species, so many types of creatures, so many names of the many beings. With the continuous ever steady ever flowing pen of God the lekha (written account) of all is forever being written but some rare person knows how to write this account (meaning no being can ever find the limits of God's creation). If one were to write this account (it cannot be estimated) how big this account would be. The power of the timeless being is infinite, the beautiful form of the timeless being is infinite, his gifts are infinite- who can give an estimate of this. The timeless being through his hukam made the whole world and with this hukam (to give life) tens of thousands of rivers were made.

A Little Deeper:

God's creation is infinite and it is always expanding. If someone could write this account, this lekha of God's than who can estimate its size. if one were to try to keep a record of the universe and its size, If any rare person had the capability then think how big will this record be ? One can't even fathom the size in their mind. God's creation is huge and limitless. How can one even try to keep a record of it ? It is not possible!

Overall Meaning:

ਕੇਤਾ ਤਾਣੁ ਸੁਆਲਿਹੁ ਰੂਪੁ ॥

Kaytaa Taan(u) Su(a)aaleh-h(u) Roop(u)..

How infinite is God's power, how never ending is God's beautiful form

ਕੇਤੀ ਦਾਤਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੌਣੁ ਕੂਤੁ ॥

Kaytee Daateh Jaanai Koan Koot(u)..

How infinite are God's gifts which person can know their expanse, who can possibly estimate their great number?

Word By Word:

ਕੇਤਾ -Kaytaa - How big how grand how infinite

ਤਾਣੁ -Taan(u) -power/might/strength

ਸੁਆਲਿਹੁ -Su(a)aaleh-h(u) -beautiful/gloriously beautiful

ਰੂਪੁ -Roop(u)-image/form

ਕੇਤੀ -Kaytee -How big how grand how infinite

ਦਾਤਿ -Daateh -gifts/things God has given

ਜਾਣੈ -Jaanai -to know/to understand

ਕੌਣੁ -Koan -who/which person

ਕੂਤੁ - Koot(u)-estimate/guessed measurement

In a Nutshell :

How greatly infinite is the power of God? How infinitely beauteous is God's form? How infinite are the gifts God blesses us with? Who can possibly estimate their infinite number?

A Little Deeper:

God has the power to do anything and everything. God has put creation into play and is the moving force behind every molecule and particle in this Universe. Who can put a limit on God's power or yet alone who can know just how powerful God is. Who can even guess or estimate the extent of God's glorious power. All beauty comes from the Lord. All of creation is imbued with God's radiance. Just how beautiful is God's form. The beauty of God can not be described or estimated it is never ending beyond limits!

Overall Meaning:

ਕੀਤਾ ਪਸਾਉ ਏਕੋ ਕਵਾਉ ॥

Keetaa Pasaao(u) (E)aykoa Kavaao(u)..

From God's one word, from the shabad all came into being

ਤਿਸ ਤੇ ਹੋਏ ਲਖ ਦਰੀਆਉ ॥

Tehs Tay Hoa(e)ay Lakh Daree(a)aao(u)..

From God's divine Hukam tens and thousands of rivers began to flow!

Word By Word:

ਕੀਤਾ -Keetaa -to do/to have done

ਪਸਾਉ -Pasaao(u)-world

ਏਕੋ - (E)aykoa -one

ਕਵਾਉ - Kavaao(u)-word,order,hukam(u)

ਤਿਸ -Tehs -pronoun/that/here it stands for/means hukam(u)

ਤੇ -Tay -from/of

ਤਿਸ ਤੇ-Tehs Tay-from that hukam

ਹੋਏ -Hoa(e)ay -to happen/to be done

ਲਖ -Lakh -tens of thousands

ਦਰੀਆਉ - Daree(a)aao(u)-rivers

ਲਖ ਦਰੀਆਉ-Lakh Daree(a)aao(u)-tens of thousands of rivers

In a Nutshell :

From the one shabad all of creation unfolded. From the one shabad, the one hukam, the one Lord, tens of thousands of rivers began to flow.

A Little Deeper:

From the one shabad of God all of creation came to being. The play of the universes and galaxies was set in motion. All of creation slowly unfolded. Gases and stars and suns and moons and planets were born. Substances and particles combined. The laws came into motion. Air, water, earth, fire, all these things were made. Dust turned to planets and solar systems and soon enough water and vegetation and animals and creatures came into beings. Humans, came from water , which formed from the starts. All this unfolded from the hukam, from the shabad, from God's divine order from the word. God, through the hukam is still unfolding the play of creation as it expands! The Whole Universe came from this one word, from that hukam tens of thousands of rivers began to flow!

Overall Meaning:

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕਵਣ ਕਹਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

Kudrateh Kavan Kahaa Veechaar(u)..

What strength do I have to describe the creation of the creator.

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਵਾ ਏਕ ਵਾਰ ॥

Vaareh(a)aa Na Jaavaa (E)ayk Vaar.

can't even once be a sacrifice to you.

Word By Word:

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ -Kudrateh -power, strength

ਕਵਣ -Kavan -which one/which

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕਵਣ-Kudrateh Kavan- which power ? which strength? Kudrateh is a feminine word so this is it's adjective.

ਕਹਾ -Kahaa - I tell/I say

ਵੀਚਾਰੁ -Veechaar(u)-describe/give discourse/tell of

ਕਹਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ -Kahaa Veechaar(u)..- I describe/ I say / I tell of

ਵਾਰਿਆ -Vaareh(a)aa - sacrifice/to be a sacrifice

ਨ -Na -negation word/can't

ਜਾਵਾ -Jaavaa -to go

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਵਾ-Vaareh(a)aa Na Jaavaa- I cannot be a sacrifice,

ਏਕ -(E)ayk -one

ਵਾਰ - Vaar-time

In a Nutshell :

Lord what strength, what power do I have to describe all that you have made. I am not worthy, not able, of even once sacrificing myself to you.

A Little Deeper:

Oh What power do I have to describe your Creation God. What strength do I have to describe the size and greatness and beauty of the universes and spheres ? How do I describe nature? What power to I have to fathom the little and big things you have made? The things which are in your control. Everything is so big and we humans are so tiny how can we describe God? God is grandest of the grand and the creation is a masterpiece beyond limits! I cannot once even sacrifice myself to you Lord, you are so great. What you have created is so great !

Overall Meaning:

ਜੋ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸਾਈ ਭਲੀ ਕਾਰ ॥

Joa Tudh(u) Bhaavai Saa(e)ee Bhalee Kaar..

Oh Lord, whatever pleases your will, that doing, that action, that work is good

ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ॥੧੬॥

Too Sada Salaamat(i) Nehrankaar..16..

O Nehrankaar, O formless being Lord , you are eternal and never ending , you are the one who will always exist. 16

Word By Word:

ਜੋ -Joa -whatever, that which

ਤੁਧੁ -Tudh(u) -you

ਭਾਵੈ -Bhaavai -pleases

ਸਾਈ -Saa(e)ee -that

ਭਲੀ -Bhalee -good

ਕਾਰ - Kaar-work,doing,action

ਸਾਈ ਕਾਰ -Saa(e)ee Kaar-that action, the work, that doing

ਤੂ -Too -you

ਸਦਾ -Sada -always,forever

ਸਲਾਮਤਿ -Salaamat(i) -eternal/neverending/always existent/neverdying/one who will always exist and live on

ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ -Nehrankaar- O Lord, O God, Lord/God

In a Nutshell :

So what strength do I have do describe the creation of the creator? Oh timeless being , I am not capable of being a sacrifice to you even once! Meaning my power (strength ) is very limited, Oh Formless Lord! You are never ending ! You will always remain eternal ! Whatever seems good to you, that doing, that work is good (meaning it is good to live in your divine will).16.

A Little Deeper:

Oh God what ever pleases you is good . Whatever you do is always good. You keep creation in harmony and everything happens for a reason! Your will controls all, life,death,birth, the rock cycle, water cycle, phases of the moon, development of beings, all these are in your divine hukam. You keep the universes in equilibrium through your grand hukam. Your hukam is always for the best. Whatever makes you happy is good. You play this world drama yet remain unattached. Oh formless Lord, you will live forever, you are beyond the limits of time! This world drama may end but you will always exist ! God will always exist and create worlds and planets and things beyond our imagination ! God is grander than anything and his creation is limitless ! Whatever makes you happy God, that alone is good, you are never ending, neverdying and beyond any shape or form!

Overall Commentary on this pauri

Guru ji tells us about creation. So many different faiths try to limit God and the world. So many people have so many stories about how our universe came about. No one can know the truth !Guru ji tells us that saints are all powerful. The last pauris which talks of the the actions of attaching the consciousness to the Naam (Suneh(a)aa) and placing full faith in the Naam (Maneh(a)aa) discuss the qualities and great reach of the saints . The saints have all great knowledge, they transcend the fear of death, they are the guides of all, they find the door of liberation, they lean on one God alone and obtain the greatest of glorious greatness. The one thing Guru ji explains though is that there is no saint who can ever become powerful enough to describe the greatness of God or Gods creation. Who was there? Who can know? We can't even ever see all of creation than how can we know the inner details and secrets of it? All we can do is enjoy it's never ending grandeur. Each and every day creation expands. This whole universe, each and every being, each and every aspect of nature is ever changing. God keeps everything in beautiful equilibrium through his hukam. Who can know the greatness of the hukam. Each thing God does has a beautiful reason which we can't fathom. If one little detail of the universe were to change than things could be deadly but God handles all with precision. The way the Earth is positioned to sustain life, the way that the magnetic field protects us from solar wind, the way that the tilt of Earth gives us the four seasons, the way that we are not too close to the sun to burn or too far to freeze, the little adaptations God gives creatures, the way a baby is attached by an umbilical cord , the list is endless all these are God's workings! Even as we speak God is working! God is creating and destroying and changing! God is the support of all even if we do not realize it. It is not some mythical bull. God's secrets are beyond anything and everything. The mysterious workings of nature of the hukam cannot be discovered all we can do is bow in awe. Everything God does is good and we must trust the hukam. The glory of God will never be measured but we can drown in its bliss forever!