Are all religions equal?

Gurfateh

I think nogroup Bhaji has hit the nail on the head. I agree. Canadian Penji, I did not say we should not respect the other religions, if you refer to my earlier posts, I said we should respect them as they come from the same source and have an 'element' of truth in them. You reiterated the same point in your last post.

Can I just say, you said yourself that Sikhi is the straightest, in a way, and no offence, you are contradicting yourself when you say all of them are equal.

If you say it is your personal choice, then obviously you looked into every religion and came to the conclusion that Sikhi is the one for you. That is a choice, and to make a choice over others, you reject the other.

That rejection, however peaceful or subtle, is you coming to the conclusion that not all of the religions are equal 'anymore' (corruption etc) and so you want to follow the best path.

The Guru's did not give us Amrit without reason. We remain distinct because we don't want to be mistaken for others, so what does that say to you?

I am saying that it is our duty to respect and be tolerant of all religions, because they come from the same source, and even though they have been misintepreted through time, they still have an 'element' of truth, which is present in a greater quantity in Sikhi. So how am I slandering them?

You have pens, one doesn't work well, even though it has some ink left inside, the other works very well. Would you choose the one which doesn't work well or the other? Which would serve your purpose better?

I would say you would choose the better one, in doing so, you have shown, that you do not believe they are equal in 'quality'.

Prove Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam is un-pure regardless of whats happening i meant scriptures wise???

I was harrased by Muslim groups during University for a while, and in doing so I read the Quran, to find out why these people were so fanatical. I came across one thing which stuck in my mind first, this was their treatment of women, as followed specifically by the Quran. The rules for women laid down by a religion acts as a good indicator to see how fair it is. For example the following quotes:

‘They ask thee concerning women’s courses

Say: they are a hurt and a pollution:

So keep away from women in their courses,

and do not approach them until They are clean.

But when they have purified themselves,

Ye may approach them As ordained for you by Allah

For Allah loves those who keep themselves pure and clean.’ (Holy Quran 2:222)

Menstruation is considered a hurt and pollutant (The actual term used is Azan). A man is instructed to avoid her, and she herself

cannot take part in fasting nor prayers during her menstrual cycle. Men are forbidden from having sex with women during their

menstruation, but in Surah 2:223, they are encouraged to approach their wives for sex whenever the desire occurs,

‘Your wives are as a field unto you,

So approach your field When or how ye will.’ (Holy Quran 2:223)

Now compare this with Gurmat:

The requirement of the Mothers’ blood is fundamental for life. Thus, the menstrual cycle is certainly an essential and God given

biological process. In other faiths blood is considered a pollutant. However, the Guru rejects such superstitious ideas. Those who are

impure from within are the truly impure ones.

‘Should cloth be reckoned impure if blood-stained,

How may minds of such be deemed pure, As blood of mankind suck?

Says Nanak : With a pure heart and tongue God's Name you utter :

All else is worldly show, and false deeds.’ (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, pg. 140).

These quotes are from the Quran itself. They believe a woman is impure because of a natural process created by God, and is not allowed to do certain things, in other words, it restricts her. Personally, I couldn't come to a conclusion that this is equal to Sikhi, even when looking from the scriptures point of view. Bhaji NogroupSingh provides a great link on the previous page under the title 'Why I am not a Muslim'. It's worth checking out.

I want to end by saying that I have no animosity towards other religions, but if challenged by intolerant people, I see no harm in explaining to them what doesn't seem right to me, and why I have also chosen Sikhi as a 'personal' choice. After all, so many Shahids are not in our history without significance, they did not give up Sikhi, because they knew which path was the highest and purest, and most beloved to Vaheguru.

Bhul Chuk Dee Khima

Gurfateh

Gurpreet

Well, the way I look at it is that all have their ups and downs..And its the final destination that matters, which is talking with god and such.

Talk about Islam or Christianity, or even Sikhism, you'll learn some lessons in Sikhi, which you won't learn in Islam, but then you'll learn things in Islam which you won't learn Sikhi ..and on it goes.

The final destination, reaching god should be most important.