How Do We Go About Starting Jhatka In The Uk

chatanga1

..but talking of meat doesnt make one less spiritual ..

absolutely.

the reason i started this topic, was not to debate the stupid argument over whether a sikh can/cant eat meat, but to see if a workable solution to the problem of "Halal only" was possible.

Are Sikhs capable of having Jhatka meat introduced in the UK? that is the q?

absolutely.

the reason i started this topic, was not to debate the stupid argument over whether a sikh can/cant eat meat, but to see if a workable solution to the problem of "Halal only" was possible.

Veer ji

The solution is only possible if Sikh community of UK whole heartidly support this.Even on this thread I don't found much people saying Yes to the Idea

absolutely.

Only way I see it working is if Amritdharis go in livestock farming themselves and supply outlets in Sikh majority areas.

2 questions then. 1) Would any Sikhs do this type of farming? 2) Would enough Sikhs (and non Sikhs even?) patronise the outlets to enable both the farmer and the butcher to earn a living?

Edited by dalsingh101

the reason i started this topic, was not to debate the stupid argument over whether a sikh can/cant eat meat

This is a fundamental "must" and not a stupid debate. The result of the so called "stupid debate" would have an impact on whether there should be a jatkha shop . If non-amritdahri ... then does it matter to them where the meat comes from ... i dont think so they will just consume it for the taste and wouldnt careless if its jhatkha , halal , or other.

If non-amritdahri ... then does it matter to them where the meat comes from ... i dont think so they will just consume it for the taste and wouldnt careless if its jhatkha , halal , or other.

I don't agree. I've met plenty of sullay so lax they drink and smoke marijuana, but they still wont eat nonHalal. In anycase, I would have thought it is in wider Sikh interest to start demarcating boundaries of the panth. If other religions have certain prominent 'no nos', I would imagine a Sikh equivalent of Muslim pork, nonhalal and booze and the Hindu beef would be tobacco products and halal?

Different levels of adherence to the laws of a religions is the common situation across every last faith on the planet. I fail to see how Sikhs will be any different to this general rule?

If non-amritdahri ... then does it matter to them where the meat comes from ... i dont think so they will just consume it for the taste and wouldnt careless if its jhatkha , halal , or other.

Rubbish! I was kesadhari for 17 years before I took amrit, and i would never hesitate to ask any shop/butchers if their meat was halal.

On some occasions, it was, and i said thank you and left the premises.

Dont jump to conclusions about meat-eaters. That is a very common trait of veggie warriors, to think that just cos we dont beleive in Gurmat as a vaishnav panth, that we must be totally devoid of compassion or even worse morals.

Dont make that mistake ever again DSG.

Firstly, here is the UK Law on private slaughter of livestock:

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/privatekillguidance2006.pdf

The main point to note is that slaughtering livestock in non-licensed premises is not unlawful as long as it is not for sale.

It is, however, unlawful to kill livestock in unlicensed premises with the intent to distribute to a third party if the livestock is ovine (sheep), bovine (cow), and caprine (goat).

This means that you can slaughter an sheep, goat or cow yourself for your own consumption, but it cannot be shared with others (even if your own family). (Personally, I think this is stupid, and don't see why a group of Singhs should not be able to do the seva of jhatka, gutting and cleaning of the animal and then eat the animal.)

You can, however, slaughter chickens, rabbits, farmed game and porcine species (pigs), and share those with a third party member or members of your community as long as you do not sell it.

If you want to open a jhatka slaughterhouse, you have to apply for a licence and convince the State Veterinary Service that jhatka is an immediate kill and in accordance with the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) 1995 Regulations .

I would not be surprised feel if the objections to jtaka slaughterhouses were loudest from our own community though, so the person wanting to open such a business with the intent to do a seva would run the risk of becoming a regular butcher selling to people who do not care where their meat comes from.

K.

Rubbish! I was kesadhari for 17 years before I took amrit, and i would never hesitate to ask any shop/butchers if their meat was halal.

Firstly chatanga1 learn to control your writing if someone doesnt agree with you ( what kind of language is Rubbish, just becuase no one agrees with ypur point of view doesnt make it rubbish .... calm down geezer you one is out to get you , iys just a forum ,, with peoples views .... relax )

Well in fact i knew 17 year old who as well who never questioned where the meat came from just bought it and consumed it .. :ooh :ono :o:o:o:o

Dont jump to conclusions about meat-eaters. That is a very common trait of veggie warriors, to think that just cos we dont beleive in Gurmat as a vaishnav panth, that we must be totally devoid of compassion or even worse morals

you lost me on that one :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink: no relevance whatsoever

These are just my views , eat all the meat you want or dont want .... it doesnt matter to me

Check this place out!!!

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/jhatka-meat-centre-14435826.html

• 1 year later...

Jhatka is chatka chatka means push, shove, fast, quick. Some people use the word chatka to describe jats in the act of not thinking things through and acting without thought, diplomacy sometimes out of pure anger. Then others use this to promote jat culture as being one which takes enemy to the end. To be honest it just refers to aspect of an agriculture community being with limited education not realising the importance of thinking things through or using diplomacy to solve tasks. It as become a serious problem people promote being jatt over sikh... take a look at hindu jats that's were people came from some are toothless, alcoholics, in poverty described as a backwards class. If anything Sikhi gave importance to people of all sorts of backgrounds we are doing paap by spreading jaat paat even guru gobind singh forbid amrit and sikhi to the hindu chief kings who wanted to keep the caste they had. If anything those who promote being jatt have brought shame onto the guru ghars by using the diamond of naam like this... Sikhi was meant to spread all around the world not just be limited to one jatt group to rule just the small section of punjab. Today we are our own butchers killing our own sikhi.

Pretty much all gursikhs are promoting veggeterianism if anyone promotes meat they will not be accepted by many singhs. It is mainly for the punjabi sehajdhari community to push as an alternative to halal, we have a shop in southall you can get people to break off from halal shops and go to them instead.

Let me add this is my view re jatka may be wrong may be right , only wahegur knows ,

Amritdahri Sikh gets up in the morning

has a bath/shower

does nit nem

goes to the gurudawara

does seva

helps the needy, community

learns bani

learns Kirtan

THEN he says oooh i need some meat man , let me get jhatka meat hmmmmmmmmm

It dont make sense at all , I believe doing nit nem , seva etc.. your mind will automatically tell you , i dont need that stuff , will put you off meat eating

We then start comparing ourselves to our Gurus ,( they did that they did this ) which again i think is wrong , we cant even contemplate / compare ourselves to the guru period.

Here is a picture of the poster

I personally think, if you follow that lifestyle ie khastriyi way then yes you would eat jhatka etc, but if you don't then it's really your choice, who are we to criticize a maryada which has been followed by Singhs for centuries?

post-3189-0-77276000-1327668893_thumb.jp

Edited by zulu

Those of non martial tendencies will never be able to appreciate the place of Jhatka.

Beautiful shabad , i think explains it

Tu mera rakha sabni thai

Ta bho keha kara jiyo

You are my Protector at every place

then why should I have any fear?

Tumari kirpa te tudh pachana

Tu meri ot tu hai mera mana

By Your Grace, I have realized You.

You are my support, You are my honour