Gursikh Kuddiya-Makeup??

Hey guys,

I don't know about you guys, but I have seen plenty of Gursikh pehnjiz,auntiz,...with makeup??

What's the difference bleaching and putting foundation??

Because Our bodies are a gift from God. To alter the body is to tell God he got it wrong.. The Sikh Rehit is explicit that Amritdhari Sikhs are NOT to alter their bodies in any way.

So, when you put make up and something of that nature your altering your looks...Like you skin color becomes lighter with foundation?? ...With lipstick ...lips stand out ..and all that junk..

So is this right or wrong?? What do you folks say??

I dont think its a big deal people wearing makeup. If your argument is that you cant wear make up because people who are doing is to correct or not happy with waheguru gave them then does that mean, that if you have bad eye sight you shouldnt wear glasses. or if you teeth are messed up you shouldn't get braces. I dont think so....

darshan kaur, you may have missed this as you were reading the post.

desikuddi02.

I don't know about you guys, but I have seen plenty of Gursikh pehnjiz,auntiz,...with makeup??

What's the difference bleaching and putting foundation??

Because Our bodies are a gift from God. To alter the body is to tell God he got it wrong.. The Sikh Rehit is explicit that Amritdhari Sikhs are NOT to alter their bodies in any way.

So, when you put make up and something of that nature your altering your looks...Like you skin color becomes lighter with foundation?? ...With lipstick ...lips stand out ..and all that junk..

the statement that i made was, that if people are going by this reason, then wearing of glasses and braces means that we are not happy with waheguru has given us. for this reason i see nothing wrong with make-up.

However in the way you were saying, that people wear make-up to look prettier or enchance themselves, i see nothing wrong in this unless of course they are the kind of people who cant leave the house without make-up, thats just stupid. Im sure that many of these people who wear make up can survive without it. Im sure that they are not such vain people that they have to have it 24-7.

hope i have cleared myself up. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my last post.

glasses are needed so sum1 can see better, its stupid to say that glasses go against sikhi cos they not natural, and glasses and mak-eup are totally different, make up is to look prettier , wearin glasses is common sense if u got crapy sight. :roll: jus like cuttin ur nails is wen they get long cos dirt gets in them

its one of those common sense things

as i thought that many guys dont wear make up. Heres a message from my sister.

wearing make up is no big deal there are many other things that are more significant in sikhi, make issues of these sort of thinhgs discourage girls getting into it because it makes it feel so restrictive

wearing make up doesnt do anyone any harm and may just imrove self esteem, not everyone is a 100% confident about their looks etc

see, it's a never ending circle

Mugermach Singh:

wearing make up is no big deal there are many other things that are more significant in sikhi, make issues of these sort of thinhgs discourage girls getting into it because it makes it feel so restrictive

wearing make up doesnt do anyone any harm and may just imrove self esteem, not everyone is a 100% confident about their looks etc

according to your logic, that means that if it helps your self esteem, then you're altering your self-esteem level, maybe more than what Guru wanted you to have..yeah, it sounds stupid, but it's a never ending circle..personally, there's gotta be some other reasoning...

hmm

if we're not confident about our looks

we should ask guru jee for kirpa and once we become 100% HIS,

it's pretty impossible to feel ugly or physically impaired in any sense

embracing real sikhi actually makes you feel beautiful -- for example, many people, when they begin growing their hair out and following sikhi, they feel more beautiful than they had ever felt before

that's the beauty of gurmukhs -- they have amazing levels of humility, yet they have enough self confidence to take on the world

it's really really really hard to give up makeup, but little by little, with sehaj AND LOTS OF ENCOURAGEMENT AND SUPPORT FROM YOUR BROTHERS WHO TELL YOU U DONT NEED IT, it's possible to leave your face natural, the way guru nanak made it

i think sometimes you can't really stop people from wearing it, but it depends on the circumstances -- some girls feel ugly without wearing makeup and they need it on them 24/7 -- i think that's a real problem

i also think if our veerjees encouraged us more to be real singhnees and embrace guru gobind singh, we probably wouldnt feel the need to wear makeup and impress guys or other people, because we'd know we have a Father that loves us more than any guy ever possibly could

wjkk,wjkf

'keep it simple'

these are beautiful words but extremely hard to live by; words which i am trying to aspire to.

reguarding make-up, my friends were having a discussion & a point arose that i neva expected. as one friend enquired y, stating that gury ji has given you beauty why alter it, its not urs to alter the other stated;

"i am not changing it, i am enhancing the beauty i have been blessed with..."

just thought it was an interesting point...

bhul chuk maaf

wjkk,wjkf

Well literally enhance is to modify it ..change it..make it better..so it is alterting the way.

Alright, again with health issues. You can't really control your eye sight from getting lost..Usually its environmentally caused or genetic. If you just get plain old clear contact lenses..It is the same thing as without them. No Fashion trend here or anything.Your point about glasses and operations for cancers is well-taken. The Gurus did not say altering the body for MEDICAL reasons is wrong; altering for ego and fashion and peer pressure is. For example: ...Rajini's husband was CURED of his leprosy by dipping in the waters of what is now Harimandir Sahib?

Second of all, Teeth??...Crooked teeth are the source of many health problems such as misplaced jaws, overbite and crowded mouth that cause bite problems, jaw problems and subsequently other problems. Something that is well beyond out of your control By all means, If you need a surgery or braces get it done! If that is what you want, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You can say that it is Waheguru's will to give you such a problem, but you can also say that Waheguru invented such a procedure to correct it too! If you're still having trouble with it, think of it from the karma standpoint. Maybe in your past life you owed the dentist something and never repaid your debt. Now is your chance by giving him your business.

Hope this helps! :roll: :roll:

personally i don't anything wrong with girls wearing makeup. Women have been doing it for centuries, trying to make their skin look healthier and lips look redder. It boosts your self esteem, makes you feel good. I'm not saying wear it everyday but like when you go out to a school prom for example i don't see nothing wrong with wearing a bit of foundation, lipstick and eyeliner. If you start saying girls shouldn't wear makeup basically its being restrictive and relgion shouldn't be restrictive. What puts many people, especially girls off taking amrit is restrictions such as not wearing makeup. Some people make their own rules. I have a friend who's mother says she is not allowed to go out alot as an amritdhari kuri shouldn't in case someone sees her. Also she has to do paath at certain times so she can't go out then. Ok i'm going off the point but like someone said before makeup accentuates what god has already blessed you with. When a woman is pregnant God accentuates her lips so she looks more attractive so her partner stays with her. (more blood goes to the lips. Also when they say a pregnant woman looks glowing its because her skin looks better. See God also puts his own makeup on women to make them look prettier.

You can argue: then just wait for God to do it but i don't see nothing wrong with a woman also making herself feel confident by applying makeup!

wot da hell???

wot puts ppl off takin amrit is nt wearin makeup?????

if makeup is so important 2 them, then they shouldnt b thinkin of takin amrit neway.

and the reason y god dus this to a woman is 2 make her more attractive 2 the opposite gender, i understand this....but as u c, god has thought of everythin..theres no need 4 us 2 wear makeup..dnt u get it??

or do u get it but u jus dnt wanna bleev it?

makeup shouldnt b needed 2 boost self esteem...if u read the guru granth sahib ji...(which by the way hav u?), u would understand why makeup is so unnecessary...

cam the jam darshan penji! :wink:

I totally agree with you though, there's no need for make-up - god made us the way we were made and we shouldn change that.

Vaheguroo's make-up is simran and gurbani - that's wat we should be doing, instead of decorating ourselves..I cringe when i see sikh girls wearing makeup :cry:

Gurfateh

Firstly, I agree with Penji Darshan Kaur and Penji Singhani's posts. The real beauty comes from within, which shows outwards after a person becomes imbued with Vaheguru's love. Everything else is secondary, and nothing compares to it.

naaree a(n)dhar sohunee musuthak munee piaar ||

She is beautiful, who upon her forehead wears the Jewel of God's love.

Guru Nanak, Page 54, Line 8

Simi Penji,

Ok i'm going off the point but like someone said before makeup accentuates what god has already blessed you with.

Why are you accentuating God's work? Is there any need? Does that mean, when we make ourself look good, by wearing makeup, we believe God was lacking when he created women?

Why do you need confidence from people complimenting you on how you look? The only thing that should matter is pleasing Vaheguru, no one else's opinion matters.

You change your looks through makeup, and even if you cover that by saying it's accentuating or building your confidence, ultimately it comes down to the same thing. You don't believe the way God created you was perfect. Guru Ji says:

Wealth and beauty lasts only but a numbered days

Guru Nanak, Page 23, Line 5

God's court retains an account of all deeds. Only the beauty of the Naam can save a soul.

Guru Nanak, page 109, Line 12

Without the name of God even beautiful and handsome people are as ugly as the hunch-backs.

Kabeer, Vaar:3 Pauree: 25

You cannot pick and choose in Sikhi. If people don't think they can take Amrit, because they feel worried they cannot apply makeup, this seems pretty shallow to me. :roll:

Gurfateh

Gurpreet

btw- i do paath every morning, i can read punjabi so i have read parts of the Guru Granth Sahib. I do kirtan and my dad often tells me the morning of pauri's and i sometimes read the english translation. Why do people assume that people with opposing views to themselves havent read the guru granth sahib? everyone interpretes Gurbani in their own way.