Gursikh Kuddiya-Makeup??

Well, Sim tell me this.

Would you want to walk naked in a rainy weather??

We wear clothes as a matter of our good culture. They have the additional advantage of protecting us form weather. Even when we have the best weather and we don't need to wear clothes, still we wear some clothes as a social requirement.

Its like wearing the 5K uniform is a religious requirement for a Sikh, a member of the Khalsa Panth. Of course, like clothes, they have other benefits too.

Clothes are kind of like a neccessity of life, while makeup isn't.

Gurfateh

why dont we walk around naked? where hiding gods creation with cloths aren't we? we are altering what god gave us by hiding it, adding to it or changing it? WE apply cloths like we apply makeup!

We don't walk around naked because as desikuddi penji said, clothes are necessary for the body. As you are aware, there are various seasons in the year, clothes protect the body. They also can be used to cover yourself modestly. If you wear them in a way to attract people, that is different.

Makeup is only used to improve your looks. There is no other reason at all. It is not applied to protect your face, or as a way to look modest. So, how can you say that we should walk around naked? Seems a little childish if you don't mind me saying.

Why can't you accept that if you wear makeup, you are essentially low in self esteem, because you want to look 'better', secondly it doesn't say much for your concept of beauty, and this is explained in the quotes I gave in the previous post. Guru Ji themselves have recited this.

Another thing, Guru Ji did not say walk around naked or not wear clothes, even though in your view we are 'hiding God's creation', refer to the following quote:

‘Friend, all other wear ruins happiness, the wear that to the limbs is torment,

and with foul thinking fills the mind’ (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, pg. 16)'

The above quote seems to suggest Guru Ji did believe we should wear clothes. Also, if we weren't intended to wear clothes as Sikhs, then why did Guru Ji include the kachera as part of the 5 kakkars?

It's sad that people place so much importance to material things which really do not help anyone spiritually, rather than Amrit itself.

Gurfateh

Gurpreet

Yo... makeup if applied properly and is washed off every night actually protects ur skin from damage from the sun and environment...

so there u go, there is an advantage to wearking make up

and it's not like we're gauding it up....

It's like the clothes idea...

If u wear it simply, like a plain foundation, eyliner and lip gloss, no harm in it, it's there to add a little and protect ur skin...like a barrier, however if it gets out of hand where ur caking it up and wearing tons of eye shadow and blush as well, then there's a problem...

I'd like to suggest all of those that are wearing chapsticks and glosses that are against wearing make up to stop that as well, cuz God wants ur lips to be dry... so go with the flow....

Alright guys seems bit childish. If you can't do makeup don't wear chapstick. Thats like saying if you got a disease, don't get it cured for. Because waheguru ji wanted you to have that disease. Gloss is different thing its like a teenage lipstick. But, you can get clear chapstick..Those kind that you can't even tell when you put them on. It is like if waheguru ji made dry lips, then he made simple cure for it too.

The most important thing to realize is....

Sikhism doesnot believe in artificiality[of behaviour,appearance,beliefs or any aspect of life]. It believes in equality of sexes and doen't consider females as an object of exhibition for entertainment of males.Everyone is beautiful as created by God and we should aspire for inner beauty of soul rather than focusing on outer artificiality.The aspect to focus on increasing physical beauty is to maintain natural beauty by exercising and proper nutrition.

For makeup , Gurus have mentioned "Sat ka shingaar"[beautify yourself with truth] a number of times.

Hope this answers your question.

i had a semi-realisation (nothing special or divine really) about sikhi recently. i have realised there is no point arguing over such things because the point of view comes from the intention and attitude, and if people think its ok to slap makeup on, even if u tell them it is wrong and give gurbani quotes, their attitude in general wont change. if your intention behind makeup is HONESTLY just to stop sunburn, lol, then go ahead and wear it, but deep down if its to look prettier (and its usually more subconscious) u know its wrong.

just ask yourself if your a girl, what would the mother of the khalsa do if she came in this day and age? what about the father, guru gobind singh? would a gurmukh use lipstick and makeup? why or why not? would guru gobind singh get a khalsa tattoo or a stud in his ear? most questions can be answered with very simple common sense.

Nahi Actually, Its a good discussion. Its like saying you want to be a sikh, but then you want to cut your hair too? Right??...You can' t do both, got to pick one. Its like same here ..show your stomach or be a sikh? ..Pick one, can't do both? .Anyways, let it keep going.

Canadian Jatti Penji isn't you going to oppose anymore :LOL:

SSA

many intresting arguments made in the above posts ...well all i want to say is that if we do something because of peer presure or what other people think about us than that aint be something that makes us happy also ...secondly if intentions are right than even a western dress can be worn in a decent way as many english girls do .......

but i would still refrain myself from saying what is right or what is wrong...

"jo tudh bhawe sai bhali kar tu sada salamat nirankar"

wjkk wjkf

• 4 weeks later...