Cutting Hair = Raping Daughter

kdsingh80

So Today I spent my whole day with Bhua who is very religious in Gurdwara Bangla sahib.She said in one Dhadhi vaar She heard cutting hair for a sikh is like raping his daughter as told by Guru gobind Singh ji.I never heard anything like this could anybody clarify?

Edited by kdsingh80

I think what the Dhadhi meant was that kesh was a thing of honour for a Sikh. When Muslims would attempt to cut the hair of a Sikh it meant the Sikh had to die to protect his honour(kesh) at any cost similar to a Ghairatmand Sikh fighting to protect his daughter being raped by outsiders. But if a Sikh were to cut his own kesh it is like he is dishonouring his own self akin to like raping his own daughter.

We may not understand this type of mentality anymore, but this is how Sikhs would think a few generations ago where hair cutting was unknown amongst the Sikhs. Even the least religiously observant Sikh would still be a Keshadhari. My Nanke for example were hardcore communist minded people who actually made fun of religious minded Sikhs. But even they were keshadharis and would not allow their children to cut kesh. This is how things were during the time of my grandfather's (Nana Jee) generation. After that it started to change. Hair cutting became acceptable amongst Sikhs in part due to NRI influences and also secularization of the independent India.

My Nanke for example were hardcore communist minded people who actually made fun of religious minded Sikhs. But even they were keshadharis and would not allow their children to cut kesh. This is how things were during the time of my grandfather's (Nana Jee) generation. After that it started to change. Hair cutting became acceptable amongst Sikhs in part due to NRI influences and also secularization of the independent India.

The situation is still the same in many families in urban cities.Actually uncut hair and Turban is the only point of distinction between Hindu's and Sikhs.There are many Hindu's who attend Gurdwara's more than mandirs ,on the other hand some sikhs follow Mandirs more than Gurdwara or they hardly religious.Now if a family of Mandir going sikhs or non Gurdwara going sikhs cut their hair then what is point of distinction between them or Gurdwara going Hindu's?

yea ..the exaggeration is done and then perhaps is done that way that it becomes a taboo to do the particular act.

i would equal it to addressing cow as mother, it should be that there must have been beef eating and then as the importance of the animal was high, some people who were in the religious authority must have declared that killing a cow is equal to killing yor mother.

yea ..the exaggeration is done and then perhaps is done that way that it becomes a taboo to do the particular act.

i would equal it to addressing cow as mother, it should be that there must have been beef eating and then as the importance of the animal was high, some people who were in the religious authority must have declared that killing a cow is equal to killing yor mother.

That's a good analogy and yes it is similar to the example you gave.