Punjabiyat, Sikhi And Films

kdsingh80

the-lion-of-punjab.jpg

There is no denying the fact that the three things that have been mentioned in the title need to be synchronized in order to bring out a synergy which results in the benefit of all. But one thing is sure that where the dichotomy of "Being a sikh" and "Being a Punjabi" haunts the masses, I find films to be a very effective way to resolve the conflict as an individual can be either one or both. Though I'm not writing this article for the sake of any political mobilization on religious or ethnic grounds but I'm doing it in order to resolve the much exaggerated controversy which has been made to look invincible by the people who're problem-creators instead of problem-solvers. With the increasing dependence on media by the industry, politics, business, education, entertainment etc., religion cannot stay behind to show its dependence on the media and advanced technology. For those friends who excessively advocate spirituality, I want to say that one can give a better sermon and address a larger number of people using a mike. Also the telecast of Gurbani Kirtan from Golden Temple, Amritsar, by a few TV channels, has facilitated the lives of sikh sangats throughout the world. I mean to say that dependence on technology is inevitable and its judicious use can definitely expedite the attainment of the goals whether religious or political.

Now coming back to the core issue of projection of Sikhs in the film industry, I must say that there's no problem at all as a huge industry like Bollywood hasn't been invincible for Sikhs. People like Dharmendra, Neetu Singh, Simi Garewal have been able to enjoy a strong presence in bollywood. Hollywood, though the BEST in the world hasn't enjoyed the contribution of a mainstream sikh and also seems too egotistical about itself as recently a big shot like Tom Hanks played down on even bollywood and a celebrity like Amitabh Bachchan when he recently addressed an NDTV reporter. But the point remains that projection of "SAABAT SURAT SIKHS" (Sikhs with turban & uncut hair) has been a very controversial issue in any film industry whether it is Hollywood, bollywood or the unnamed Punjabi film industry.

There have been some recent films like Dharti and the Lions of Punjab that have impressed people by the content and the concept that they've been centered around. "Dharti" is a political drama where an IAF pilot from a political elitist family makes a comeback to cleanup the corrupt political system in Punjab and avenge the death of his brother out of a politically motivated conspiracy. "The Lion of Punjab" is a typical entertainer based upon the real-life problem of the spread of cancer in the MALWA area of Punjab and Diljit has done a good job to glorify turban, if we look beyond his trimmed beard, and has also looked very cute in a turban. This film has also has reflected a corrupt political system in Punjab and the protagonist cleans-up the system in this film too. These two films remind of the Bollywood films of 1990's which clearly show that the industry is in the process of evolution.

So! The need of the hour is to come up with an industry that can synergize the Punjabism and Sikhism and such industry should focus on the projects centered around realistic subjects addressing the issues of the modern and post-modern society. Now! I just hope that I've laid some sort of ground for the intellectuals to brainstorm about and the influential people to decide about. Though I'm always there for the saadh-sangat for any suggestion or to pour in any thought to the much-awaited think tank about this subject. I must say that the Sikhnet annual film festival is doing a tremendous job. In fact, if we look at the larger picture, it could grow to become the much needed full-fledged film industry. I would request saadh-sangat to kindly pour in some thoughts on this very relevant issue that needs to be addressed asap.

http://www.sikhnet.com/news/punjabiyat-sikhi-and-films

This movie was good. In south India, the heroes are mostly always men with a mustache and some facial hair and a little dark in colour, while the villain is always clean shaven and fair complexioned. Why can't Punjabis emulate the same thing in Punjabi movies? show the hero as being a handsome sardar(the ideal Punjabi Gabroo Jawan).

Edited by Mithar

This movie was good. In south India, the heroes are mostly always men with a mustache and some facial hair and a little dark in colour, while the hero is always clean shaven and fair complexioned. Why can't Punjabis emulate the same thing in Punjabi movies? show the hero as being a handsome sardar(the ideal Punjabi Gabroo Jawan).

One thing about South Indian movies surprised me that why they hardly take Heroines Which look like an average south Indian Girl.There heroines were mainly from North India,South Indian brahmin families or from fair skinned communitties of South India.none of them even closely look like an average South Indian woman.

I can understand North Indians Like fair skin as both fair and dark existed here ,but in south more than 95% people are dark yet they want to show their men that their future wife could be a fair skinned

One thing about South Indian movies surprised me that why they hardly take Heroines Which look like an average south Indian Girl.There heroines were mainly from North India,South Indian brahmin families or from fair skinned communitties of South India.none of them even closely look like an average South Indian woman.

I can understand North Indians Like fair skin as both fair and dark existed here ,but in south more than 95% people are dark yet they want to show their men that their future wife could be a fair skinned

Almost half of the South heroins are actually north Indian, many even being Punjabans. But one thing is, the South Indian concept of beauty is different from North Indian concept of beauty. In South India, their heroins are shown as very traditional type sari wearing women while North Indian/bollywood heroins have become very modern/liberal types similar to white women from the west who would never wear a suit/sari.

I think north Indian women have grown an inferiority complex since the last 20 years. They try to pretend they are white/western women. That is why it is not uncommon to see north Indian women call girls who wear Punjabi suits as "Bahanji". Up until the late 90s, most north Indian Hindu women had long hair and considered it a mark of beauty, but now you will rarely find Hindu women from the cities with long hair as they consider it as something that a "Bahanji" would do. Even Sikh girls from the cities are mostly hair cutters themselves.

In a way, it is sad and disheartening to see traditional Indian culture being swept away by western/American culture like this.

Edited by Mithar

In South India, their heroins are shown as very traditional type sari wearing women while North Indian/bollywood heroins have become very modern/liberal types similar to white women from the west who would never wear a suit/sari.

I have to disagree with it.South Indians are are equal if not more westernised than North Indians.The sari they show is only at the time of marriage or traditional function O/W they too show westernised women.One South Indian heroine created havoc when she openly stated that men now should not expect their wives to be virgin

I think north Indian women have grown an inferiority complex since the last 20 years. They try to pretend they are white/western women. That is why it is not uncommon to see north Indian women call girls who wear Punjabi suits as "Bahanji". Up until the late 90s, most north Indian Hindu women had long hair and considered it a mark of beauty, but now you will rarely find Hindu women from the cities with long hair as they consider it as something that a "Bahanji" would do. Even Sikh girls from the cities are mostly hair cutters themselves.

majority of Sikh girls from cities still keep their long but slightly trim it.As far shortening of hair is concerned ,One factor is you mentioned is behenji but the other factor is that most women are now working and they found maintaining long hair difficult as mostly they just roam with untied hair.Even in job market a westernised girl is much more demanded than a traditional one

Indians still love long untied hair on women that's why all top heroines of bollywood Katrina,Aishwarya,Kareena,Deepika etc sport long hair

Hardly any bollywood heroine try to experiment her with short style even if she does she revert it back in few months.Nobody call these heroines behenji

Edited by kdsingh80

I have to disagree with it.South Indians are are equal if not more westernised than North Indians.The sari they show is only at the time of marriage or traditional function O/W they too show westernised women.One South Indian heroine created havoc when she openly stated that men now should not expect their wives to be virgin

Take a look at South Indian movies that are dubbed in Hindi. The heroin always (or mostly) wears a Sari. The only time she wear modern clothing(pants/skirts) is during a song with the hero. As for virginity is concearned, according to a poll I read not too long ago, 3 in 4 women from the cities are no longer even virgin during marriage. Western culture is really destroying the India I knew once.

majority of Sikh girls from cities still keep their long but slightly trim it.As far shortening of hair is concerned ,One factor is you mentioned is behenji but the other factor is that most women are now working and they found maintaining long hair difficult as mostly they just roam with untied hair.Even in job market a westernised girl is much more demanded than a traditional one

Indians still love long untied hair on women that's why all top heroines of bollywood Katrina,Aishwarya,Kareena,Deepika etc sport long hair

Hardly any bollywood heroine try to experiment her with short style even if she does she revert it back in few months.Nobody call these heroines behenji

When I say long hair I mean long hair like up to the waist as Indian women had up until the late 90s. Remember that famous TV commercial((Dabur Amla Hair Oil) of Jayapradha with her long hair.

Short hair for me does not mean a boy cut. Compared to how Indian women were until the 90s, today's Indian women has very short hair. Just look at any of the Indian TV serials, all the young women always have short hair. None have hair to the waist. They all try to emulate white/western women.

Take a look at South Indian movies that are dubbed in Hindi. The heroin always (or mostly) wears a Sari. The only time she wear modern clothing(pants/skirts) is during a song with the hero

I have seen many south Indian dubbed movies,don't found much difference though.Also we should remember that South India is not something we should in one sentence,Telugu are different from Tamilians,Kannads are different from malayali.Just check the thread I posted about voilence faced by elders Bangalore is No.1 with 40% while Chennai is last with 2% .They are too different from each other

As for virginity is concearned, according to a poll I read not too long ago, 3 in 4 women from the cities are no longer even virgin

These are fake masala polls ,don't trust them.My brother is in IT industry and I asked him and he said there is no situation is like this ,the situation is only bad among rich Indians which roam with their personal cars at the age of 18-20

-- -------------------------------------------------

Around 15% of young men and 4% young women interviewed admitted to having pre-marital sex.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-02-21/india/28116578_1_young-women-age-youth

--------------------------------------------------

Short hair for me does not mean a boy cut. Compared to how Indian women were until the 90s, today's Indian women has very short hair. Just look at any of the Indian TV serials, all the young women always have short hair. None have hair to the waist. They all try to emulate white/western women.

I don't have measuring tape with me so I cannot always check whether it is upto waist or not lol but mid back is quite common

Anyway I live in area where there is very small population of Sikhs yet I always see sikh girls with long braid and kara on their hand more often than turbaned sikhs

Edited by kdsingh80

I have seen many south Indian dubbed movies,don't found much difference though.Also we should remember that South India is not something we should in one sentence,Telugu are different from Tamilians,Kannads are different from malayali.Just check the thread I posted about voilence faced by elders Bangalore is No.1 with 40% while Chennai is last with 2% .They are too different from each other

These are fake masala polls ,don't trust them.My brother is in IT industry and I asked him and he said there is no situation is like this ,the situation is only bad among rich Indians which roam with their personal cars at the age of 18-20

---------------------------------------------------

Around 15% of young men and 4% young women interviewed admitted to having pre-marital sex.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-02-21/india/28116578_1_young-women-age-youth

--------------------------------------------------

4% must be the national average which includes girls from the villages who maintain virginity till marriage. It is no secret in India that most city girls are very loose in character. That is one of the main reasons why when NRI men go to India for marriage, they always prefer to marry girls from the village who are not only virgin but also traditional as opposed to the city girls who mostly have a boy friend before marriage, and having a boy friend usually means sexual activity will also be involved.

I'm not saying all city girls are like this. You live in Delhi and you are probably right about Delhi girls, but the city girls in Punjab have a very loose moral character. City girls in Punjab mostly have boy friends, which is why village girls are always preferred amongst NRIs for marriage.

I don't have measuring tape with me so I cannot always check whether it is upto waist or not lol but mid back is quite common

Anyway I live in area where there is very small population of Sikhs yet I always see sikh girls with long braid and kara on their hand more often than turbaned sikhs

hair till mid back is not long hair. What you consider "long hair"(mid back) is what I meant by "short hair". Even Gorees in Canada and America mostly have hair till mid back. And it is from looking at western women that Indian women began trimming hair to mid back. Long hair from traditional Indian perspective is to the waist.

That is one of the main reasons why when NRI men go to India for marriage, they always prefer to marry girls from the village who are not only virgin but also traditional as opposed to the city girls who mostly have a boy friend before marriage, and having a boy friend usually means sexual activity will also be involved.

Mithar ji

If you are talking about Chandigarh then you are probably right.Chandigarh is the city of very rich people and it is no secret that there moral character is not so good.Don't know about other cities.

I'm not saying all city girls are like this. You live in Delhi and you are probably right about Delhi girls, but the city girls in Punjab have a very loose moral character.

Delhi is quite large among terms of population.South Delhi has some of the most corrupt,rich and vigare hoye youths of India.but in west ,east ,or North where middle class live moral character and traditional value's are their though they too are embracing western lifestyle fast

Girls in pinds are becoming very cheap too. Just go there and you'll see girls in Punjab drinking bottles of headache medicine as drugs before going to college.

So many girls have boyfriends in Punjabi villages now. The shareef girls are a minority. (maybe not in traditional areas such as Tarn Taran but in areas such as Jalandhar they are).

South Indians do show their women in movies with saris etc but they also have the more vulgar movies overall.

I wonder why even in the 70s and 80s, while majority of our Sikh men were turbaned, the heroes were shown as monas? Only turbaned actor was Sukhjinder Shera, even though he is shown as mona in his latest films.

Hindi and Punjabi films can be used in Panthic interest. Yes movies like Singh is Kinng (not made by Sikhs though) won't have the same impact as My Name is Khan. We need to make intelligent films, entertaining the masses (not only directed at Sikhs) and giving correct info out to the viewers.

We need Sabat Soorat actors so the image becomes more ''accepted'' in the world.

So many people (Punjabis) who are uninterested in Sikhi watch these movies. They will probably learn more from such movies than a boring kathavachak who doesn't have a clue about Sikhi. Animation movies like Bhai Taru Singh are already doing a good job at inspiring children, more such movies are needed.

Long ago we had nice movies such as Nanak Naam Jahaj Hai and Ucha Dar Babey Nanak Da - good mix of Punjabiat and Sikhi. Since 20-30 years we haven't had much succes in such movies (Sat Sri Akaal was the latest attempt - a poor copy of Nanak Naam Jahaj Hai - which did fine business in Delhi)

Edited by SikhKhoj