Punjabi Sikh Royalty

HSD1

Would Punjab be better off with a Royal Family?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would Punjab be better off with a Royal Family?

• Yes
    • No
    • I dont know
    • Stop asking stupid questions
    • I quite like Punjab as it is

Seeing as this forum is dying off, I want to start a discussion about the use of royalty in Punjab. A few questions for discussion:

1. Why did monarchies develop in Punjab, rather than say a religous system or democracy? Is the idea of royalty against the nature of Sikhi?

2. Do Punjabi Royal Families still exist? I heard Maharaja Ranjit Singh's line is dead, but what of the Patiala Rajahs etc?

The Dasam Granth and ancient sanskrit litterature deals with monarchies so I think they considered it a natural form of government.

Cool, that's settled at least.

No election but selection.

Rulers should be chosen on merit and ability, who says that the son of an able king will also be an able ruler?

I know what you mean but in today's world no sane country leaves large amounts of power in the hands of anyone, no matter how great they are. If a King/Queen are able they can have a role in government, if they arent then they can just be used for currrency or to entertain foreigners. Even the best ruler needs an able Parliament and the Ministries to run a country.

As for no election but selection, we all know that those with money, connections or know how to rub backs end up in power a lot more than meritous people. There is nothing wrong with democracy as long as the upper house is chosen undemocratically by people who actually have a stake in the country.

Can such a process work in the modern age, anywhere in the world?

Most probably not.

I know what you mean but in today's world no sane country leaves large amounts of power in the hands of anyone, no matter how great they are. If a King/Queen are able they can have a role in government, if they arent then they can just be used for currrency or to entertain foreigners. Even the best ruler needs an able Parliament and the Ministries to run a country.

As for no election but selection, we all know that those with money, connections or know how to rub backs end up in power a lot more than meritous people. There is nothing wrong with democracy as long as the upper house is chosen undemocratically by people who actually have a stake in the country.

Yes you are right.

I don't know about other nations, but I prefer Panj Pyare system in the future for a theocratic Punjab (or Khalistan?). Else Panches (from Panchayat) might be fine too if having an out and out secular 'Sikh' state.

Parliamentary republic with Panj Pyare having a kind of veto power + overseeing all religious stuff?

I don't know about other nations, but I prefer Panj Pyare system in the future for a theocratic Punjab (or Khalistan?). Else Panches (from Panchayat) might be fine too if having an out and out secular 'Sikh' state.

Parliamentary republic with Panj Pyare having a kind of veto power + overseeing all religious stuff?

Isn't that another 'committee system'? ......with its endless debates, no decisions ever made, back-handers, lobbying etc.