Sarna Challenges Badals For Debate On Sikhism

kdsingh80

Sarna challenges Badals for debate on Sikhism

Puneet Pal Singh Gill

Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, August 29

Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) president Paramjit Singh Sarna has challenged Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to call his family on a common platform for a debate on Sikh religion.

“Let him (Badal) bring his family and I will bring mine. Badal’s family lives in India while my children and grandchildren are in the US. I can bet despite the fact that they reside in a foreign country, my family knows much more about Sikhism than his,” Sarna said.

Sarna accused SAD’s SGPC candidates of not following the principles of Sikh religion. “Many of their candidates have children who are either clean shaven or trim their beard and have hair cuts. This is shameful as these people claim to be the torchbearers of our religion. Most of Badal’s candidates cannot even recite Japji Sahib, leave aside talking about issues related to Sikh religion,” alleged Sarna.

The DSGMC chief alleged that SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar’s sons were addicted to liquor. “And if they are not, then he (Makkar) should present their medical reports, which will confirm that I am right,” he said.

Reacting to this, Makkar said Sarna was “no one to talk about his sons”. “Let him say whatever because he is in a habit of talking this way as he has already lost his mind. My sons work for the benefit of city residents and remain in office for at least 12 hours daily. Even for my election, they are working hard. Sarna should know his limits… else we also know a lot about him and his family. If he is such a daredevil and a Sikh, he should have contested the SGPC elections against me or any other Akali candidate,” Makkar said.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110830/punjab.htm#8