How to make a Web Presence :)

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, WAheguru ji ki fateh

Recently i been involved with some website development work and have been enjoying my self. Today i did something which i always wanted to do and that was use my computer as a webserver and allow my friends to acess webpages on my computer and also browse some Folders i.e MY folder with 2000 mp3's.

Soooo The reasoon for this tutorial is to teach you guys how to Use ur computer as a webserver which will allow u to share files witth friends faster than msn lets u. Run ur own website from ur computer, Let friends acess cterain folders and download files etc.

Step one is to Install the correct Webserver software. If u are a Windows 95 / 98 / ME user then you will have to settle for Microsoft's Personal Webserver , commonly known as the PWS. ITs free and i uploaded a copy of it on NEO's Ftp without his permission :oops: . So u can download it if u have those versions of windos.

For Windows 2000 + or XP users then they shud get their hands on IIS ( internet information Server ) which comes on Win2000 Cd's as an Adon if not already installed. Once you install anyof these software they create a directory in ur C drive

C:inetpub

and C:inetpubwwwroot

This is ur main directory where any files stored will be accessed by visitors.

So lets say we have a file called "Welcome.html" in WWWROOT directory.

so inorder for someone to be able to access it they will need to know ur IP address. Make sure that the server is running now if not then u need to start it. It just like running any other application.

You can find ur IP address by type this is dos

ipconfig /all

Once u have ur Ip address ur friends can access the Website by

http://YourIP/welcome.html

or

http://YourIP:80/welcome.html

Because the webserver handles all Requests on Port 80 you can secifically make a request for PORT 80 by typing 80 after IP address and :

Once u get the hang of this and play around with it you can find out how to allow Directory browsing etc. For more info PM me or email me at

Asingh@uclan.ac.uk

*Broadband users can setup a permanent website because their Ip address doesn't change where as dialup users will have a differnt IP address all the time.

wow thanks guys im gonna try that out.

but i have a questions?

isn't this a little dangerous..i mean making ur comp a server w/o dedicated firewalls.

Im running zonealarm...do you think that's enough?

Also, only people that know my ip can access the server....but is there a way for anyone else to get that info?

and lastly system specs......i have :

P3 600mhz

128mb

DSL down 1.1Mb/s up 128kb/s i think

is this system decent enough for acting as a server.

Well, let me get real here now... :D

PWS web server has so many security holes in it.

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/info-security...es/ms_pws.shtml

If you really want to have webserver then its not that hard but I would advice that go for "apache" web server software.

Just get a cup of coffee and within 20 mins you will have your windows based web server running on your computer.

Here is all in one link:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ just make sure you read first and make sure you understand everything. Once you go through all the links then choose the right version for windows because they have one UNIX/linux based and other one is windows based so make sure you download the right one...

Here is link to get it going on windows .. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/windows.html

Best of luck! and if there is any problem let me know....

Well, let me get real here now... :D

PWS web server has so many security holes in it.

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/info-security...es/ms_pws.shtml

Agreed, I put that there becuase it supports ASp, php and other stuff, does Apachee support asp. PWS is more of a Development server, if you are a website developer then you ought to be looking at testing ur scripts on IIS or if not Pws.

Apcahe is more stable and one good server. if u go for it then don't forgot to go to www.php.net and download php support. :LOL: while u are at it get Mysql as well, i think i am getting carried away.

Someone Boot me plz

Agreed, I put that there becuase it supports ASp, php and other stuff, does Apachee support asp. PWS is more of a Development server, if you are a website developer then you ought to be looking at testing ur scripts on IIS or if not Pws.

There is a saying once you use apache then you don't look back. I know PWS is easy and good for personal use but if you are going to have any important stuff on it and at the same time you want to keep it online then its full of dangers.... Apache is so easy to use and it support most of the OS and apps so give it a shot....

Apcahe is more stable and one good server. if u go for it then don't forgot to go to www.php.net and download php support. :LOL: while u are at it get Mysql as well, i think i am getting carried away.

I have now almost 3 years experience of apache and still learning about it as it has so many things to do with it. Also, I'll find link all in one package which is so easy to configure. You just download the binaries throw them in the directory and double click enter information and you have mysql, php and apache running without dealing with any type of hassle of configuration. I will post my resource links to download few books soon...

note: Apache Rocks!!!! :yo:

Out of all those posts, one line didn't make sense to me

which Line? :P

You folks too technical

All Sikhs are Technical and Intelligent, So far i am yet to see a Lallu sikh. I know some extremly clever Sikhs who are into IT and other Technical Fields.

Neways, This is Sikhi Tech zine and if u don't understand something, wat are we here for.

Jealous again :oops::LOL: (For sure this time)

hawww, you got to do something about that jealousy Bug. You get jealous too quickly, :LOL: You are jealous in that JSB smiley thread as well, Its not a good thing u know, ur system might crash ( geek joke )

LOL

LMAO :wink:

OK , How does the Internet work. Its very simple. A webserver is just a computer program that Serves Files. If the file is a Webpage, Image, Text then its viewable through ur webbrowser.

Webserver Application like "Apache Server", PWS, IIS are just computer program that Run on ur computer and if someone requests a Certain file then they just forward it.

A webserver Serves requests made on PORT 80. Port 80 is like ur cornor shop which is the only well known shop in town. So most of the requests are made on port 80.

So inorder to share files and Run ur own website from ur own computer You need to install a Webserver Application that will enable peolpe to request files on port 80.

So once u have a webserver installed and configured then i can access ur files / folder by typing ur IP address in my webbrowser

:)

Apache is the most efficient and stable Webserver App, however IIS is the one that is used a lot.

For more info PM me or email @ Asingh@uclan.ac.uk

Rab Rakha, tuhade computer da te mere computer da :wink:

:oops::oops: Amar Paji ...You making my head spin more.. :oops::oops:

desikuddi02 wrote:

Out of all those posts, one line didn't make sense to me

which Line?

It means, I didn't come across one single line that made sense to me

:P:P

Anyways, Its all good..

Yeah, that jealousy moment only last about 30 seconds :P

Chalo look forward to hearing more of your geekish talk :twisted: :twisted:

It means, I didn't come across one single line that made sense to me