Concerns Of The Modern Khalsa

dalsingh101

I had to share this post by wannabe abiyassi on SS in the Gupt section. Gives a clear window into the issues that preoccupy the young minds of the modern day warrior Khalsa panth.

which kachehras are suitable for daily wear; taksaali or nihung style kachehras

who sews good kachehrs in birmingham

waheguru ji ka khalsa; waheguru ji ki fateh

Edited by dalsingh101

A valid point .

I'd would defo recommend the Taksali style. The cut and fit is impeccable - it will challenge the most experienced of SAville Row tailors.

The other reason is that should I wish to include lace trimmings at the bottom hems it will naturally reach my knees , thereby becoming a Nihungi kachera. Whereas if I did such with Nihungi version - Oh what a fashion faux pax!!!! Gok Wan will be horrified!

Lets not even broach the subject of nirmala kacheras. tarana dal kacheras? Where have they been living? Bidi Chandias? Well wou know what Trinny & Sussana will do they their tailor! Udasi kacharas: the next big thing in Dolce & Gabbanas Milan show in 2012.

DalSingh , now that issue is resolved lets move to the next serious point:

At the moment I use organic cotton kacheras. Would it be possible to wear satin or if not too anti-gurmat silk kacheras?? I know for a fact that silk underwear is much more comfortable and it keeps you cool thereby IMO controlling kaami thoughts.

yeah there is a lot of wasting time in trivial pursuits by young sikhs. reading too much into black and white syndrome. Box-ticking sikhs is what frightens me.

I hear you man!

Can't see the woods for the trees. Dogmatic without any overall spirit.

All they see are trees. That's the problem.

I wonder is it simply an intelligence thing?

Personally I feel the Taksali kachera is just SO 1980s. I prefer the modern missionary ones, with the flourishes and pipping at the hem......they are so chardi kala!

Possibly. Or that xmas trees are a soft target compared to other problems that Sikhs face. For people like that it's a lot easier and safer to pick on other Sikhs than it is to fight people in power or outsiders who are a relatively unknown quality to them.

Yeah, I sometimes think intelligence plays a big part in people's ability to conceptualise and frame the situations, so if you are dense (and young), you will genuinely believe that RSS bogey men and Christmas trees pose a serious threat to the panth. But your point is valid in that even if we did get them to expand horizons and see more genuine and infinitely subtle threats, they are unlikely to be able to process it enough to form any solid counteractions, and would probably just go even more schizio about it all.

what if its just 'extremist psychological tendencies', pure and simple.

Today its xmas trees and the size of kachera or type of keski that bibiyan wear. Once they have stamped these out they will find something else to moan about.

I'm cant help but think about the latest Haredi Jewish protests in Israel. Are our people becoming more and more like the Haredi-crazies, ie shouting abuse, spitting at an 8year old girl in the street because she is "immodest"? and then even having the 'scholarly intelligence' to back up their actions by quoting the Torah.

Well, I expect some conflict along ideological lines in our community - it is natural. We MUST constantly have a debate reagrding fundamentalism and the other extreme which is apathy. Sometimes kneejerk angry reactions actually serve to balance out the slackness that naturally takes place in a community.

I don't think it is healthy to just brand x thought simply as 'fundamentalist thought' like whitey does, because often underlying so called 'fundamentalist' reactions are genuine and real concerns. Also, it becomes easy for whiteys and their ilk to just use the blanket term 'fundamentalist' to undermine and attack movements that may well have Sikh interests at heart. Like whitey did with nihangs before they attacked us.

What needs to be done is a differentiation between brainless, pendu knee jerk fundamentalism and more 'purist' movements which do actually have valid (and usually uncomfortable) truths behind them.

Edited by dalsingh101

Personally I feel the Taksali kachera is just SO 1980s. I prefer the modern missionary ones, with the flourishes and pipping at the hem......they are so chardi kala!

Get with the times old man, it's all about the blast boxers nowadays lol.

Yeah, I sometimes think intelligence plays a big part in people's ability to conceptualise and frame the situations, so if you are dense (and young), you will genuinely believe that RSS bogey men and Christmas trees pose a serious threat to the panth. But your point is valid in that even if we did get them to expand horizons and see more genuine and infinitely subtle threats, they are unlikely to be able to process it enough to form any solid counteractions, and would probably just go even more schizio about it all.

what if its just 'extremist psychological tendencies', pure and simple.

Today its xmas trees and the size of kachera or type of keski that bibiyan wear. Once they have stamped these out they will find something else to moan about.

I'm cant help but think about the latest Haredi Jewish protests in Israel. Are our people becoming more and more like the Haredi-crazies, ie shouting abuse, spitting at an 8year old girl in the street because she is "immodest"? and then even having the 'scholarly intelligence' to back up their actions by quoting the Torah.

On a case by case basis I think one of the 3 things mentioned would be the cause for that person acting in a way that in the grand scheme of things isnt particularly helpful. Sexual frustration could also be a reason for such anger as well, especailly among the younger zealots.

Well, I expect some conflict along ideological lines in our community - it is natural. We MUST constantly have a debate reagrding fundamentalism and the other extreme which is apathy. Sometimes kneejerk angry reactions actually serve to balance out the slackness that naturally takes place in a community.

I don't think it is healthy to just brand x thought simply as 'fundamentalist thought' like whitey does, because often underlying so called 'fundamentalist' reactions are genuine and real concerns. Also, it becomes easy for whiteys and their ilk to just use the blanket term 'fundamentalist' to undermine and attack movements that may well have Sikh interests at heart. Like whitey did with nihangs before they attacked us.

What needs to be done is a differentiation between brainless, pendu knee jerk fundamentalism and more 'purist' movements which do actually have valid (and usually uncomfortable) truths behind them.

For authentic and physical movements, you would need institutions and resources along with people on the ground who know what they are doing, can act on their own initiative and see the bigger picture. Whining about kachera and xmas trees on the internet is just that, whining on the internet. I doubt many of them would do anything about it in real life as they just dont have anything in the armoury. They arent good at debating and only start fights they think they can win, even though they get that wrong sometimes as well.

Get with the times old man, it's all about the blast boxers nowadays lol.

Bullet/bomb proof kasheras.......hmmm

Actually I read about these many years ago. Apparently a lot of mafia guys in the US rock these because they fear getting their tuttay shot off in attempted assassinations. lol