Anwar Masood - Lassi And Cha

dalsingh101

Sikhchic have been pushing this lately. I'm loving it!

It appears to be a critique of outside cultures that try and impose themselves as native, using the analogy of a conversation between lassi and tea. Great use of colloquial Panjabi and a brilliant example of the use of the language in a very witty and highbrow way. Interesting to note how many different derogatory names Panjabi has for dark skinned people too.......

Chatanga, I know you've usually quite keen on developing you Panjabi language skills. If you are up for it, I propose we try and transcribe and translate this? Let me know if you are up for it. We can take our time on it.

Edited by dalsingh101

cool dal singh ji, most of it seems quite straightforward to listen to.

off topic, but isnt lassi water and dahin/youghurt mixed?

I think the real deal may be milk, water and milai vigorously churned?

If you find it straight forward, clearly your Panjabi is better than mine which is pretty impressive for a 3rd generation.

We'll approach it this way. Verse by verse. I'll type the first one up in the next few weeks. Here are some of the words I can't make out from it. Be warned they are very likely to be wrongly spelled!:

ਕਲਵੱਟੀ

ਸੁਖ ਸਣੇਓੜਾ

ਟਲਕਾਂ / ਠਲਕਾਂ

ਮਾਈ ਭਗੋ

ਤਗਾਣੇ

ਜਵਾਤੀਆ

Edited by dalsingh101

ਟਲਕਾਂ / ਠਲਕਾਂ

its dalka Bhaji, not talka, and this means the swift effortless natural flow, of movement, here to mean liquid.

like we can say ravi nadi dalkan mardi jandi...

before this he says lishka, which means sparkling, so i guess he' s saying the milk is of a sparkling swift motion...

can you do me a favour as well. the words you putup, type in the time as well, so i know when to look out for them.

ਕਲਵੱਟੀ kalvati here means to denote something as ugly because of its colour,

ਸੁਖ ਸਣੇਓੜਾ, message of peace, here Anwar Uncle Ji is saying " milk: I bring message of peace at night ( sukh snoara), whereas you(tea) bring jagrata( being awake all night)

Anwar Uncle Ji, (lets all respect this guy, yeah?) is asyaing how milk is good to take before sleep, whereas tea being a stimulant stops you from sleeping.

Chatanga brother.

I propose we approach it this way (forgive me if I'm repeating myself!).

(1) First we nail the transliteration in Gurmukhi and post that without any spelling errors.

(2) Then we find and firmly establish the meanings of any unclear words

(3) Finally we then attempt to translate it in English

All this is to be done verse by verse, so as to make the task more manageable.

So here is my go at typing up the first verse. (You will do the second after we have done the above steps on this, and I the third and so forth.)

I've made the uncertain words red (this could be uncertain in meaning or spelling - probably both). Please keep an eye out for spelling errors too. Let's see what we get with this:

ਲੱਸੀ ਚਾ ਨੂੰ ਕਹਿਨਦੀ ਹੈ:

ਮੈਂ ਸੋਹਣੀ, ਮੈਂ ਗੋਰੀ ਗੋਰੀ, ਤੂੰ ਕਾਲੀ ਕਲਵਟੀ! ਮੈਂ ਨੀਂਦਦਰਦਾ ਸੁਖ ਸਣੇਓੜਾ – ਤੂੰ ਜਗਰਾਤੇ ਪੱਟੀ।

ਤੇ ਜਿਸ ਵੇਲੇ ਮੈਂ ਚਾਈਂ ਚਾਈਂ ਚੰਨੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਛਲਕਾਂ, ਕਿਹੜਾ ਸਾਂਭੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਲਿਸ਼ਕਾਂ, ਕੌਣ ਸੰਭਾਲੇ ਠਲਕਾਂ।

ਰੰਗ ਮੇਰਾ ਵੀ ਮੱਖਣ ਵਰਗਾ, ਰੂਪ ਵੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਚਾ, ਦੁੱਧ ਮਲਾਈ ਮਾ ਪਿਓ ਮੇਰੇ – ਮੇਰਾ ਅਸਲਾ ਉਚਾ।

ਜਿਹੜਾ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਰਿੱਧਕਣ ਬੈਟੇ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਵਾਰੀ ਜਾਵਾਂ, ਕੜਕੇ ਢੋਲ ਮਧਾਣੀ ਵਾਲਾ, ਮੈਂ ਵਿਚ ਭੰਗੜਾ ਪਾਵਾਂ।

ਮੈਂ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੇਹਤ ਬਣਾਂਵਾਂ, ਓਹ ਤੂੰ ਵੀ ਸੇਹਤ ਬਿਗਾੜੇ, ਮੈਂ ਵੀ ਠੰਢ ਕਲੈਜੇ ਪਾਵਾਂ ਤੂੰ ਵੀ ਸੀਨੇ ਸਾੜੇ॥

I'll give this bit a preliminary translation soon.

Edited by dalsingh101

You will do the second after we have done the above steps on this, and I the third and so forth.

My panjabi typing is so slow( and rubbish). I wish i had read your post more carefully when you said transcribe!

But im workingon it now.

some update to the words you posted above.

ਕਲਵੱਟੀ - misery, distress

dalka - glitter, flashy

kurattan - bitterness

Dal Bhaji, i have just made some changes, but let me know if they are wrong.

ਮੈਂਸੋਹਣੀ, ਮੈਂਗੋਰੀਗੋਰੀ, ਤੂੰਕਾਲੀਕਲਵਟੀ! ਮੈਂਨੀਂਦਦਰਦਾਸੁਖਸਣੇਓੜਾਤੂੰਜਗਰਾਤੇਪੱਟੀ।

ਤੇਜਿਸਵੇਲੇਮੈਂjwਈਂ jwਈਂਚੰਨੇਅੰਦਰਛਲਕਾਂ, ਕਿਹੜਾਸਾਂਭੇਮੇਰੇਲਿਸ਼ਕਾਂ, ਕੌਣਸੰਭਾਲੇfਲਕਾਂ।

ਰੰਗਮੇਰਾਵੀਮੱਖਣਵਰਗਾ, ਰੂਪਵੀਮੇਰਾਸੁਚਾ, ਦੁੱਧਮਲਾਈਮਾਪਿਓਮੇਰੇਮੇਰਾਅਸਲਾਉਚਾ।

ਜਿਹੜਾਮੈਨੂੰਰਿੱVਕਣਬੈਟੇ, ਉਸਦੇਵਾਰੀਜਾਵਾਂ, ਕੜਕੇਢੋਲਮਧਾਣੀਵਾਲਾ, ਮੈਂਵਿਚਭੰਗੜਾਪਾਵਾਂ।

ਮੈਂਲੋਕਾਂਦੀਸੇਹਤਬਣਾਂਵਾਂ, ਓਹਤੂੰਵੀਸੇਹਤਬਿਗਾੜੇ, ਮੈਂਵੀਠੰਢਕਲੈਜੇਪਾਵਾਂਤੂੰਵੀਸੀਨੇਸਾੜੇ॥

Akal help me! here goes :

cwh kihMdI pY geI eynI mweI B~go, myry m~gr qgwxy,

qw myry surKIAw Brdy ijhVyy, auho lok isAwxy,

myrw husn pCwnn ijhVy idl auhnW dy TgW,

myrw rMg kil~Kn au~qy leIlw vrgw l~gw

qw ipMfw dw mY pIV gvwvW, jVHoN Q~kyvw BoVw

qw TrIAW hoAW cUisAW nMU mYN imiTAW kry FkorW

Edited by chatanga1

Lassi (punjabi milkshake) and cha (tea) have a fight. Lassi says look at me how beautiful and white, white I am.... and how black, ugly brown you are and how you stain utensils and how cool I am.... I am like white butter so white... upon churning of me I go to people,, as splashes come out making lassi... people drink me doing bhangra, I make peoples health upon drinking me... look at you cha you burn peoples chests.. goes on Cha goes oh I got it comming..

Oh Mai Bhaggo.... cha goes oh lassi bothering me, people who drink me are intelligent people... cha says how great I am, intellectual drink giving inspiration to people in just a drink some of the greatest men in the world drink me get so much inspiration...those who recognise my smile, I steal their hearts... I am like Lallia (from lalli majnu)... people drink me get better from colds and sore throats look at you, you give coughs, colds, and many problems...in just a sip I fix problems..

I am so, so beautiful people keep me nicely on tables.... Lassi then says look at your social status jaat caste.... you are dark complexioned... we have to put sugar in you... you are bitter, terrible, full of complaints, .... no beauty no nothing... you are as if some Jin- genie (angel/demon/spirti) came off a mountain... you go around as if your some queen....... you stain clothes and soap can not remove the stains..

Lassi turn says I inspire poets.... Now milk it is your turn to give justice.. Milk says what can I say girls...What can I say, this situation is tough and hard... .... As such cha is now nice, is tasty... (WE HAVE ADOPTED THAT CULTURE)....

Lassi says to cha.... you came here as a beggar and now you have become as if this is your own home (referring to british imperialism the british raj of India)

he goes on to say we have tea from british culture and lassi from our own talking about two cultures and how they interact and how now they have a belonging to do so we adopt both tea and lassi in ourlives. He is saying don't forget your lassi a comparison of integration of cultures in a poetic medium.

Edited by JatherdarSahib

Jathedar, the whole point is to develop our Panjabi grammar and vocabulary skills. Not just puke out an English translation. Please help with individual words if you can.

Chatanga, you're a gem!

(1)I still can't find a definition of kalvutti??? Where did you get 'misery, distress' from ?

(2)Also we need to nail this word[s?] ਨੀਂਦ ਦਰਦਾ - Have I got it wrong? Is he saying something else?

(3) What about ਸਣੇਓੜਾ ? Is it possible related to ਸਨੇਹ = love, affection, friendship, attachment, sympathy, tenderness ??

(4) Why do you think it is ਜਾਈਂ ਜਾਈਂ and not ਚਾਈਂ ਚਾਈਂ which is apparently an adjective meaning = cheerfully, eagerly, fervently, warmly

I want us to be technical to an anally retentive extent about the words here, not vague about the meanings. lol. It's my own form of OCD I guess, but it is the best way to really nail the language, so endure!

Storing these words for when we deal with them, great finds man!!

ਕੁੜੱਤਣ - bitterness

ਡਲ਼੍ਹਕ - glitter, shine, sheen, lustre, radiance; pain or fatigue in the eye when exposed to strong light

Here is your edited version of verse 1:

ਮੈਂ ਸੋਹਣੀ, ਮੈਂ ਗੋਰੀ ਗੋਰੀ, ਤੂੰ ਕਾਲੀ ਕਲਵਟੀ! ਮੈਂ ਨੀਂਦ ਦਰਦਾ ਸੁਖ ਸਣੇਓੜਾ– ਤੂੰ ਜਗਰਾਤੇ ਪੱਟੀ।

ਤੇ ਜਿਸ ਵੇਲੇ ਮੈਂ ਜਾਈਂ ਜਾਈਂ ਚੰਨੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਛਲਕਾਂ, ਕਿਹੜਾ ਸਾਂਭੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਲਿਸ਼ਕਾਂ, ਕੌਣ ਸੰਭਾਲੇ ਡਲਕਾਂ।

ਜਿਹੜਾ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਰਿੱੜਕਣ ਬੈਟੇ, ਉਸਦੇ ਵਾਰੀ ਜਾਵਾਂ, ਕੜਕੇ ਢੋਲ ਮਧਾਣੀ ਵਾਲਾ, ਮੈਂ ਵਿਚ ਭੰਗੜਾ ਪਾਵਾਂ।

ਮੈਂ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੇਹਤ ਬਣਾਂਵਾਂ, ਓਹ ਤੂੰ ਵੀ ਸੇਹਤ ਬਿਗਾੜੇ, ਮੈਂ ਵੀ ਠੰਢ ਕਲੈਜੇ ਪਾਵਾਂ ਤੂੰ ਵੀ ਸੀਨੇ ਸਾੜੇ॥

Here is stab 1 of the translation:

Lassi said to tea:

I’m beautiful, I’m fair, so fair. You’re a black ?kalvutti?! I sleep in a peaceful ?suneyora? – whilst you were uprooted throughout the night

And when I cheerfully spill forth in the moonlight, who will protect my lustre, who will maintain

My complexion too, is like butter, my form too is pure, milk and cream my father and mother – my pedigree is exalted

I turn towards those who sit and churn me; the drum of the churning stick echoes and I perform dance within

I make folks healthy, O whereas you ruin health, I bring coolness to the heart, whereas bodies are scorched by you

What you think?

We'll deal with verse 2 after we nail this one. I had a look at your transcription (of verse 2) earlier and it looks good!

Edited by dalsingh101

(1)I still can't find a definition of kalvutti??? Where did you get 'misery, distress' from ?

from my rents, my mothers knowledge of puniabi is amazing, even though she never went to school and a very old dictionary i found in the library which was written in 1908, and so contains a lot of words which were persian orientated which we dont hear so much these days.

(2)Also we need to nail this word[s?] ਨੀਂਦ ਦਰਦਾ - Have I got it wrong? Is he saying something else?

(3) What about ਸਣੇਓੜਾ ? Is it possible related to ਸਨੇਹ = love, affection, friendship, attachment, sympathy, tenderness ??

What he is saying is that lassi brings messages (sukh)of peace (sunoura),, i think uits just another way to say suneha, which means peace,

nindran is hindi for sleep, we say in punjabi neend

(4) Why do you think it is ਜਾਈਂ ਜਾਈਂ and not ਚਾਈਂ ਚਾਈਂ which is apparently an adjective meaning = cheerfully, eagerly, fervently, warmly

it just sounds like jajja instead of chacha, but i could be wrong.

I want us to be technical to an anally retentive extent about the words here,

Now you're scaring me!

Edited by chatanga1

from my rents, my mothers knowledge of puniabi is amazing, even though she never went to school and a very old dictionary i found in the library which was written in 1908, and so contains a lot of words which were persian orientated which we dont hear so much these days.

What an awesome find! You should scan or photo it and turn it into an ebook one day! I've got this massive old dictionary as well.

What he is saying is that lassi brings messages (sukh)of peace (sunoura),, i think uits just another way to say suneha, which means peace,

Did you get this from your moms too? I take it your mum is from back home, I thought you was 3rd generation with vlathee parents before. Now I understand!

nindran is hindi for sleep, we say in punjabi neend

Okay I'll listen again later tonight more carefully and check.

it just sounds like jajja instead of chacha, but i could be wrong.

See above.

Now you're scaring me!

Don't be scared. It's not any gay shit! lol

I was talking about compulsively pursuing a subject ala Freud - Read this.

Edited by dalsingh101

By the way:

Your transcription attempt: -

ਚਾਹ ਕਹਿੰਦੀ ਪੈ ਗਈ ਏਨੀ ਮਾਈ ਭੱਗੋ, ਮੇਰੇ ਮੱਗਰ ਤਗਾਣੇ,

ਤਾ ਮੇਰੇ ਸੁਰਖੀਆ ਭਰਦੇ ਜਿਹੜੇ, ਉਹੋ ਲੋਕ ਸਿਆਣੇ,

ਮੇਰਾ ਹੁਸਨ ਪਛਾਨਨ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਦਿਲ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਠਗਾਂ,

ਮੇਰਾ ਰੰਗ ਕਲਿੱਖਨ ਉੱਤੇ ਲਈਲਾ ਵਰਗਾ ਲੱਗਾ

Here's mine:

ਪੈ ਗਈ, ਪੈ ਗਈ ਇਹ ਨੀ ਮਾਈ ਭਗੋ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਗਰ ਤਗਾਣੇ, ਤੇ ਮੇਰੀਆਂ ਸੁਰਕੀਆ ਭਰਦੇ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਉਹੁ ਲੋਕ ਸਿਆਣੇ।

ਮੇਰੇ ਹੁਸਨ ਪਚਾਣਨ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਦਿੱਲ ਮੈਂ ਓਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਠੱਗਾਂ, ਮੇਰਾ ਰੰਗ ਕਲਿਕਰ ਉੱਤੇ- ਲੈਲਾਂ ਵਰਗੀ ਲਗਾਂ।1.38

ਤੇ ਪਿੰਡੇ ਦੀ ਮੈਂ ਪੀੜ ਗਵਾਵਾਂ ਜਦੋਂ ਥਕੇ ਮੈਂ ਪੋਰਾਂ, ਤੇ ਠਰੇਆਂ ਹੋਏਆਂ ਚੂਸੇਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਮੈਂ ਮਿੱਠੀਆਂ ਕਰਾਂ ਟਕੋਰਾਂ।1.43

ਤੂੰ ਇਹ ਕੰਘ, ਜ਼ੁਕਾਮ ਤੇ ਨਜ਼ਲਾਂ ਕੀ ਮੈਂ ਗਿਣ ਗਿਣ ਦੱਸਾਂ, ਮੇਰੇ ਨਿਗੇ

This is just a heads up for later. Finish your Gurmukhi transliteration it, but we wont get into verse 2 fully until we've nailed verse 1!

We'll do this systematically.

I finding this a very good way to increase vocabulary myself (especially colloquial terms). This way seems more productive than what we were doing before with randomly listing unconnected words in that vocabulary thread we had going on a while back. What you think?

Edited by dalsingh101

Okay, our latest joint version of verse 1:

ਲੱਸੀ ਚਾਹ ਨੂੰ ਕਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ:

ਮੈਂ ਸੋਹਣੀ, ਮੈਂ ਗੋਰੀ ਗੋਰੀ, ਤੂੰ ਕਾਲੀ ਕਲਵਟੀ! ਮੈਂ ਨੀਂਦਰ ਦਾ ਸੁਖ ਸਣੇਓੜਾ – ਤੂੰ ਜਗਰਾਤੇ ਪੱਟੀ।

ਤੇ ਜਿਸ ਵੇਲੇ ਮੈਂ ਚਾਈਂ ਚਾਈਂ ਚੰਨੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਛਲਕਾਂ, ਕਿਹੜਾ ਸਾਂਭੇ ਮੇਰੀਆਂ ਲਿਸ਼ਕਾਂ, ਕੌਣ ਸੰਭਾਲੇ ਡਲ੍ਹਕਾਂ।

ਜਿਹੜਾ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਰਿੜਕਣ ਬੈਟੇ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਵਾਰੀ ਜਾਵਾਂ, ਕੜਕੇ ਢੋਲ ਮਧਾਣੀ ਵਾਲਾ, ਮੈਂ ਵਿਚ ਭੰਗੜੇ ਪਾਵਾਂ।

ਮੈਂ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੇਹਤ ਬਣਾਂਵਾਂ, ਓਹ ਤੂੰ ਵੀ ਸੇਹਤ ਬਿਗਾੜੇ, ਮੈਂ ਭੀ ਠੰਢ ਕਲੈਜੇ ਪਾਵਾਂ ਤੂੰਭੀ ਸੀਨੇ ਸਾੜੇ॥

Lassi said to tea:

I’m beautiful, I’m fair, so fair. You are a dark misery. I’m the peaceful message of sleep – whilst you uproot throughout the night – not sure of how to translate patti here?

And when I cheerfully spill forth in the moonlight, who will care for my glitter, who will preserve my lustre? Sounds like chien chien to me plus the meaning corresponds to the earlier use of liskhaan!

And my complexion is like butter, my form too is pure. Milk and cream are my father and mother – my pedigree is exalted

I am a sacrifice to those who sit and churn me; the drum of the churning stick booms and I dance within – not sure of vari jaavaan here, used ‘vari jana’ as in ‘a sacrifice to’ from the PU online dictionary

I make folks healthy, O where you ruin health, I bring a coolness to the heart, whereas you’ve scorched bodies – I think kaleja can also mean liver

I’m beautiful, I’m fair, so fair. You are a dark misery. I’m the peaceful message of sleep – whilst you uproot throughout the night – not sure of how to translate patti here?

I am a sacrifice to those who sit and churn me; the drum of the churning stick booms and I dance within – not sure of vari jaavaan here, used ‘vari jana’ as in ‘a sacrifice to’ from the PU online dictionary

I make folks healthy, O where you ruin health, I bring a coolness to the heart, whereas you’ve scorched bodies – I think kaleja can also mean liver

Patti means to uproot, or disturb, here i think the kavi is saying that tea dsitrubs the sleep, hence the jagrata, staying up all night.

vari jana, is sacrifice

kaleja means heart .

remember that punjabi song:#

Cool! Looks like we are on track with verse 1! As for the word kaalja, I agree it means heart here, but it can also mean liver. Check on the online dictionaries if you don't believe me! As for THE (old school and slightly sleezy song) which popularised the word over the more often used 'dil' in the UK, cop a load of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0lA3loQ7bI

Ahhh.....memories......more innocent times...

Anyway shera, we'll come back to fine tuning verse later (maybe when we go over teh whole thing again at the end?).

Now on to verse 2! Which I took the liberty of completing (as you were so slow! lol).I took feedback off your partially completed one and adjusted mine accordingly. Unknown words are in red:

ਚਾਹ ਕਹਿੰਦੀ:

ਪੈ ਗਈ, ਪੈ ਗਈ ਇਹ ਨੀ ਮਾਈ ਭਗੋ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਗਰ ਤਗਾਣੇ, ਤੇ ਮੇਰੀਆਂ ਸੁਰਕੀਆ ਭਰਦੇ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਉਹੁ ਲੋਕ ਸਿਆਣੇ।

ਮੇਰੇ ਹੁਸਨ ਪਛਾਣਨ ਜਿਹੜੇ, ਦਿੱਲ ਮੈਂ ਓਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਠੱਗਾਂ, ਮੇਰਾ ਰੰਗ ਕਲਿੱਖਨ ਉੱਤੇ- ਲੈਲਾਂ ਵਰਗੀ ਲਗਾਂ।1.38

ਤੇ ਪਿੰਡੇ ਦੀ ਮੈਂ ਪੀੜ ਗਵਾਵਾਂ ਜਦੋਂ ਥਕੇ ਮੈਂ ਪੋਰਾਂ, ਤੇ ਠਰੇਆਂ ਹੋਏਆਂ ਚੂਸੇਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਮੈਂ ਮਿੱਠੀਆਂ ਕਰਾਂ ਟਕੋਰਾਂ।1.43

ਤੂੰ ਇਹ ਕੰਘ, ਜ਼ੁਕਾਮ ਤੇ ਨਜ਼ਲਾਂ ਕੀ ਮੈਂ ਗਿਣ ਗਿਣ ਦੱਸਾਂ, ਮੇਰੇ ਨਿਗੇ ਕੋਟੂ ਤਾਰਨ ਚੜ੍ਹੀਆਂ ਹੋਈਆਂ ਕੱਸਾਂ।

ਤੇ ਕੱਜੀ ਰਹੋ ਤੂੰ ਕੁਜੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਤੇਨੂੰ ਕੀ ਤਕਲੀਫਾਂ, ਜੇ ਮੈਂ ਸੋਹਣੀਆਂ ਮੇਜ਼ਾਂ ਉਤੇ ਰਖਾਂ ਪਈ ਤਸ਼ਰੀਫ਼ਾਂ॥