Gagandips Killers Guilty; Mahil Done For Gbh

Verdict on the murder that enthralled the Sikh media in the UK.

Gagandip doesn't come out of it smelling of roses either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106063/Gangsters-set-TV-executive-left-dead-burning-car-tried-rape-medical-student-honeytrap-killing.html

Lured to his death: Female medical student got two thugs to battered and set fire to TV executive she claimed had tried to rape her

• Mundill Mahil wanted 'justice' against Gagandip Singh after attempted rape
  • She recruited Harvinder Shoker and his friend Darren Peters, who beat and tied up TV executive
  • Pair then left Singh to die in boot of burning car last February

By Chris Parsons

Last updated at 10:28 PM on 24th February 2012

article-2106063-11E59AE3000005DC-313_306x558.jpg

Honeytrap: Mundill Mahil, 20, lured Gagandip Singh to her university home in Brigthon before he was attacked by two men and left to die

Two men have been found guilty of beating a TV executive unconscious and leaving him to die in a burning car in a vicious 'vengeance' attack.

Mundill Mahil lured Gagandip Singh to her university house in Brighton, where he was set up by two of her friends as 'justice' for trying to rape her six months previously.

While medical student and charity worker Mahil, 20, claimed to police she only lured Singh to her house so he could be given 'a slap and a lecture', he was instead beaten unconscious and driven to his death.

Harvinder Shoker and Darren Peters, who were waiting for Singh as he was lured to Brighton, 'played God' by viciously beating him, bundling him into the boot of a car and driving it to Blackheath, south east London.

The pair then set the car alight with Singh still in the boot wrapped in Mahil's duvet, leaving him to burn to death.

Shoker, 20, was today convicted of murder while Peters was found guilty of manslaughter and Mahil of causing grievous bodily harm.

Police today condemned Mahil, 'a student embarking on a career in the caring profession' for 'portraying herself as the victim' when she lured Singh to Brighton knowing Shoker and Peters were going to attack him.

Prosecutors said that although Mr Singh 'may have deserved some punishment' for the attempted rape of Mahil, there was a 'grotesque turn of events' when she got Shoker and Peters involved.

Mahil had confided in Shoker about the attempted sex attack, and he recruited Peters to help him in the plot against 21-year-old Mr Singh.

Mahil insisted that she had no idea that Mr Singh would be hurt, instead believing the two men were going to take him to see an older man called Sonny to be lectured about religion and how to treat women.

Mr Singh and Mahil had a brief relationship after meeting on Facebook in 2009.

He wooed her with gifts, while she provided him with emotional support - particularly when his father was murdered on a visit to India in September 2009 - and would spend hours chatting with him on the phone and internet, the court heard.

However, the pair separated following the sex attack in August of the following year.

article-2106063-11E52DF5000005DC-269_306x423.jpg

article-2106063-11E52DF9000005DC-448_306x423.jpg

Killers: Shoker (left), and Darren Peters (right) beat Sigh unconscious before bundling him into a car boot and setting the vehicle alight

The attack, described by the defence as an attempted rape, was never reported to the police but Mahil later underwent counselling.

In February last year - six months after the sex attack - Mahil asked Singh to come and see her so she could talk to him alone.

article-2106063-11E59ADF000005DC-625_306x554.jpg

Gagandip Singh, 21, had become infatuated with Mahil after the pair met online in 2009

The TV executive drove to the south coast in his sister's silver C-class Mercedes, not knowing Shoker and Peters were waiting for him in her bedroom.

After hitting him round the head and beating him with a camera tripod, the pair bundled him into the car's boot inside Mahil's duvet and drove towards the capital.

They even stopped on the A23 towards London to open the boot and tie Singh up using the power cable from a Sat Nav device.

They later arrived in a quiet side street, Angerstein Lane, before pulling over at the side of the road.

Aftab Jafferjee QC, prosecuting, said: 'Petrol was poured onto the car, including onto him as he lay either still unconscious or on any view completely helpless inside the boot.

'It is scientifically clear beyond any doubt that he was still alive at that point.

'The car was then set alight with him in the boot and that is how his life was ended.'

The two killers later blamed each other for the murder, while Mahil claimed she had only ever intended for Mr Singh to be 'lectured' about his attitude to women and had no idea they would set upon him with such ferocity.

She told the court she initially believed he had committed suicide, with her barrister adding that she expected him to be given 'a few slaps' at most.

Self-confessed car thief Peters, who is said to have likened the return trip to London to a scene from action film 'The Transporter', claimed Shoker had recruited him only to steal Mr Singh's Mercedes.

In his closing speech, prosecutor Aftab Jafferjee QC told jurors: 'Gagandip had his share of faults. There is no doubt about it. He may have deserved some punishment.

'But for a group of youngsters to decide that they are the custodians of Sikh virtue and play God on the subject of religious duty and moral obligation is a grotesque turn of events.

'The reality is this was vengeance for a sexual predator, which was the way they liked to portray the man who died. Everybody gets into this way of believing that this is an evil man who got his just desserts.'

article-2106063-11E599E6000005DC-281_634x352.jpg

Scene of death: Singh was driven to a quiet alley in Blackheath, south east London, where the car he was in was set alight and he was left to die

Mahil, from Chatham, Kent, Shoker, from Greenwich, and Peters, from Blackheath, both south east London, will all be sentenced next Wednesday.

Judge Paul Worsley said all the defendants would be given long sentences.

But he allowed Mahil to remain on conditional bail until Wednesday's sentencing. He told her: 'I regard a long custodial sentence as virtually inevitable.'

Mahil had shaken her head and swayed when she was found guilty.

Outside court, a statement was read on behalf of Mr Singh's family, including his mother Tajinder and sister Amandip Singh.

It read: 'Words are not enough to express the great loss of our son and brother. On a day to day basis there is a gap in our lives and a sense of loneliness.

'Gagandip was always a happy person trying to make us laugh.'

They said that this week has been particularly hard because this weekend is the first anniversary of Mr Singh's death.

The statement went on: 'For Gagandip's mother life has ground to a halt and will never be the same again.'

True. thats the power of PR and having good media relations.

But at the end of the day it wasnt enough to save him from two semi-psychos who wanted to deal a lot of damage. I cant help but to think that if he was a bit more butch they wouldnt have taken it so far with kicking his head in. Hell, if he was hench he wouldnt have needed to be such a greasy slimeball to get close to girls.

But at the end of the day it wasnt enough to save him from two semi-psychos who wanted to deal a lot of damage. I cant help but to think that if he was a bit more butch they wouldnt have taken it so far with kicking his head in. Hell, if he was hench he wouldnt have needed to be such a greasy slimeball to get close to girls.

Well apparently these days if a guy is 'butch' or 'alpha-male' or even a 'geezer' he cannot be considered a 'tyay bar tyar naam abiyasi gursikh, full of pyar'! It quite so often seems to me that to be a proper sikh guy requires quite a bit of effeminacy.

Well apparently these days if a guy is 'butch' or 'alpha-male' or even a 'geezer' he cannot be considered a 'tyay bar tyar naam abiyasi gursikh, full of pyar'! It quite so often seems to me that to be a proper sikh guy requires quite a bit of effeminacy.

It's all about the equality. Men become effeminate, women grow their facial hair and we all meet somewhere in the middle. The 21st Century Khalsa will be the most equal ever! lol

I'm not surprised in one way, if someone tried to rape a girl and her relatives beat the crap out of him, most people I know wouldn't think much of it. What is surprising is that they never just left it at a severe beating but actually offed the guy. ???

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have heard, again not 100% as with everything. Mahil was told to make that claim of rape to get off lightly, which has worked.

I know alot of people that knew gagandip and they all say she is lying. but he is dead and all we have is her word against a deadmans.

Another interesting thing is, that a group of thugs forced his mum to sell sikh.tv (for around £90,000) to them and then they closed it.

Well i may not know the ground reality but so far what i have read from three different articles, this is what i think:

The day accused/Victim attempted to rape her. She should have went to authorities, got him charged with attempted rape. But she waited for a right moment took the law in her own hands and came up with master mind plot by involving Shoker and Darren Peters to pre-meditated murder of an accused of attempted rape.

Whilst accused of attempted rape already paid higher price for his attempted rape crime. It's the potential victim turn to face the justice for viciously murdering the accused and taking laws in her own hands. All three should be charged "first degree murder" as this is pre-meditated.

No one is above the law.

May be this case, could be our case study, how sikh panth had dealt with such case during sikh monarch or how would it deal with it during this time?

May be the suraj parkash granth, granth by rattan singh bhanju can provide further insight.

N30 Singh Veer Ji, I don't believe for one minute that Gagandip tried to rape her. I believe that she was told to say this as she might get off with a lighter sentence. i.e. the judge might see a female victim, etc But people who know Gagandip know this is rape thing is a LIE.

Unless there is video evidence, CCTV from the uni, etc etc. it is her word against a dead man and unfortunately people will believe lies first and disregard the truth.

No one is above the law, not even a Monarch. Saying that, the Queen in England is above the law, she cannot be taken to any court, in england or anywhere

But it was the prosecution who stated that it was attempted rape, wasn't it?

Granted they (Prosecution) do not represent the murder victim, but still.

DUH...obviously the prosecution will do what it can to get their clients out of the mess they created for themselves.....yeah..but still...

Had she not said he tried to rape her, she would not got off as lightly as she did.

come on yaar, use your logic...

Sad what happened to him and even sadder what happened to his mum afterwards.

• 2 years later...

From what I have heard, again not 100% as with everything. Mahil was told to make that claim of rape to get off lightly, which has worked.

I know alot of people that knew gagandip and they all say she is lying. but he is dead and all we have is her word against a deadmans.

Another interesting thing is, that a group of thugs forced his mum to sell sikh.tv (for around £90,000) to them and then they closed it.

Old topic, I know. But can anyone elaborate on this? I also believe the girl made up the rape claim to get a lighter sentence.

20 March 2012http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17431845 Gagandip Singh murder: Family wants longer sentence

By Dil Neiyyar BBC Asian Network

The family of a murdered Sikh TV boss are demanding tougher punishment for a woman accused of luring him to his death.

Gagandip Singh's mother and sister have asked the attorney general to review the sentence handed to Mundill Mahil.

Mahil, 20, was sentenced to six years for grievous bodily harm.Mr Singh's body was found in a burning car in Blackheath in south-east London in February 2010. He had been violently attacked.

"Other cases involving money and fraud get much more [punishment]," said Mr Singh's sister Amandip, 19.

"This is a life that has been taken. So I believe something more needs to be done."

Speaking to the BBC in the family's first interview since the end of the trial, she said Mahil could be released for good behaviour in three years.

The business studies student said she and her mother have set up an e-petition called Justice for Gagandip calling for a longer sentence.

They wrote last week to the attorney general, who now has 28 days to consider the matter.

f he thinks there are grounds to contest Mahil's sentence he will pass it on to the Court of Appeal to review.

Medical student Mahil was one of three people jailed in February over the death.

Harinder Shokar, 20, from Greenwich in south-east London, was given a life sentence for murder.

Darren Peters, 20, from Blackheath, south-east London received 12 years for manslaughter.

Successful company

The family say Mr Singh, 21, had the world at his feet.

He ran the family's successful packaging company. He also set up and headed a television channel called Sikh TV.

In addition he was the founder of the British Sikh Student Federation. "He had done so much," his mother Tejinder, 45, said.

"I didn't think a 21-year-old would be capable of so much. I'm amazed how much he achieved." But his life was brought to an end when he was lured to Brighton by Mahil. Mr Singh was besotted with her. But their friendship had cooled after he allegedly tried to rape her. She had invited him to her house for what he thought were talks to clear the air. But instead Shokar, a former close friend of Mr Singh's who was also in love with Mahil, was lying in wait for him at her house. He violently attacked him and with the help of Darren Peters bundled his unconscious body into the boot of a car, drove it to Blackheath and set it alight. Mrs Singh said she is devastated by the killing and has struggled to cope.

She said: "In my life there's only a dead end. There's nothing left ahead. The whole story has finished here."

She added: "Mundill wanted to marry Gagan but I told Gagan he couldn't. He was still young and had his whole life ahead of him. Yes this was a revenge attack. "Not for rape. But because I would not allow her to marry him."

It is the second tragedy for the family. Mr Singh's father Charanjit was shot and killed on a visit to India in 2009.