The Disaster/catastrophe

chatanga1

The palestinians have labelled the time they lost palestine to the israelis as the "naqba day" which is arabic for day of disaster/catastrophe.

We the Sikh nation have gone through a similiar "naqba" in 1947 when we were forced from west panjab, leaving over historical 180 gurdwaras to decay. This is the naqba of the Sikhs, and the whole world knows about the palestinians remembering the naqba, but we have even forgotten our naqba, even in my local gurdwara, they have never said anything about it , as far as i can remember.

We should be looking at remembering 14th August(pakistan independence day) and 15th august (indian independence day) as our own naqba, and letting firstly our people know, and secondly the world know, about it.

The closest panjabi word i could find for disaster at the moment is :

musibat, shaamat, bad naseebi or afat. lets have your input brothers and sisters.

heres what i pulled off the net:

noun

• ਸੰਕਟ (m)
  • ਗਜਬ (m)
  • ਮੁਸੀਬਤ (f)
  • ਤੁਫਾਨ (m)
  • ਕਿਆਮਤ (f)
  • ਬਰਬਾਦੀ (f)
  • ਆਫ਼ਤ (f)
  • ਬਿਪਤਾ (f)

Synonyms

calamity, cataclysm, catastrophe, tragedy

im thinking that maha-barbadi, the "great disaster" would be more apt.

We have to educate the Sikhs about this event.

Islam calls for the spread of Islam and to make war with kaffir. 1947 was the huge tilt in spread of Islam, muslims had lost to Sikhs by Banda Singh Bahadur up until Ranjit Singh they had been under control and they worked hard to revoke and control the empire. Iqbal called to label the weakness of Muslims for the loss which he spread in the hope they will regroup and invade India destroying it putting it under the slogan of Islam to convert the hinuds and Sikhs. They tried 3 times to invade India calling it an enemy saying India are against muslims hurt them etc. They put every act of aggression and terror they commit onto the other, muslims don't know what is happening and believe the propoganda.

The jews getting Israel was there own right for a homeland after what hitler did for muslims it was an insult that Islam was stopped, Israel vs Palestine is modern day crusades that muslims start to spread Islam. People abuse a philisophy that a common person understands of self-defence in which they fabricate or twist history, current affairs and things to look like they get attacked, they attack and provoke people and if anyone in an act of defence or national security does anything due to the wide spread propaganda it sparks up people to attack. The israelis are being attacked and raped by Palestinians they twist everything. The same problem is in Africa as well.

Right now to attack is dangerous and stupid you fuel a fire which is being fueled of hatred and spitefulness it is like going to stomp a snake which has venom you think it's one snake but it is loads of them and they will bite and spread.

Let snakes be snakes but fill yourself with truth and knowledge, the snakes can only be redeemed with great power of love. As for attacks acts of self-defence must be done carefully.

Edited by JatherdarSahib

Gazab is baat kee hai kai voh vakhat guzar chukaa voh mard pad chuka hai voh din fanah ho chukaa hai par tum nai is ko zinda kar chukaa hai......vakht kai saat mard bhe badaltai hai par asool vohee achaa vohee zindaa hai jo mard ko mard mai pyaar faylata hai.....arzz hai kai judaa hum kuch bhe nahi, judaa hum kuch bhee nahi, saath ham sabh kuch hai sabh kuch chukaa saktai hain...

What I think is that by putting on such labels we create thoughts/emotions of blame and responsibility for the other side.

I fear by going down such path we will create such hate within ourselves against muslims/pakistan.

We just have to look at the palestinian children who, from a young age, are indoctrinated with intense hate for the jew/israel.

I don't believe its a good example to use palestinian methodology for anything as a guide.

What I think is that by putting on such labels we create thoughts/emotions of blame and responsibility for the other side.

Blame and responsibility well-deserved though in my opinion. What im trying to address is the state of the panth, losing half its valued possesions, leaving aside the human cost, the cost of Nanakana Sahib, and 180 other historical religious places, which are decaying, some gone forever. This is our naqba, the seperation of the panth, from its beloved sacred lands and places.

I once asked an old man who had been through it, what he thought of partition, and he replied " sadde kaum da lakk bhan ditta si " the event broke the back of our nation.

Why we cant remember this as a tragedy/disaster i dont understand.

Edited by chatanga1

Dal Bhaji, what word do you think fits "disaster" aptly in this case?

Let me have a little think about that bhai ji. I'm sure we can find a good word. I haven't come across many of the ones in your list by the way.

I must say one thing though - if you notice our people, they have a very FUNNY attitude towards disasters. It's like a mixture of hardcore stoicism and denial. They don't seem to like to dwell on such things - they seem to prefer to emphasise Sikh 'robustness' in the face of such things. That might effect what you plan?

Satya-naas?

But that may mean complete destruction beyond repair.

yes complete destruction.

Funny, growing up (according to my mum) I was alway doing some form of 'satya naas' or another........... I must be Vishnu or something!

I must say one thing though - if you notice our people, they have a very FUNNY attitude towards disasters. It's like a mixture of hardcore stoicism and denial. They don't seem to like to dwell on such things - they seem to prefer to emphasise Sikh 'robustness' in the face of such things. That might effect what you plan?

You must mean the 'British stiff upper lip' that we have

You must mean the 'British stiff upper lip' that we have

How dare you connect us to those dirty, slave mongering, control freak bastards!

I'd say it is more 'Panjabi image consciousness' - a dislike to perceive ourselves as weak, which has its positives and negatives - a BIG negative being that we keep our mouths shut when we bleed and suffer, or when our brothers or sisters do.

Edited by dalsingh101

You mean to say that we aren't dirty, slave mongering controlfreaks ourselves??

There is a thread already open about it: the homeless problem. If they aren't victims of slave traders and owners then i dont know what is.

The only difference is that we as are sooo inept and disorganised and disunited that we cannot manage it on the grand scale that the Europeans did hundreds of years ago.

Though the false self image is also a big factor too

You mean to say that we aren't dirty, slave mongering controlfreaks ourselves??

There is a thread already open about it: the homeless problem. If they aren't victims of slave traders and owners then i dont know what is.

That is very different from the organised, elaborate nonsense whitey did for a long while. Whilst I do believe that some [many??] Sikhs of Jatt background have that slave master inclination, I don't think that tendency is one that is conspicuously 'Sikh' like it is say English.

The only difference is that we as are sooo inept and disorganised and disunited that we cannot manage it on the grand scale that the Europeans did hundreds of years ago.

I don't believe nonJatt SIkhs have the power hunger and desire to dominate that is the first cause of the manifestation of organised, systematic control over other races/communities. Many Jatts do like to try it though but it doesn't come off because they aren't sophisticated and other Panjabis are testy people.

Though the false self image is also a big factor too

We are an extremely egocentric people from what I have experienced, which is pretty weird considering the whole faith resolves around the 'taming' of instincts like this??

Maybe we just need to grow up and accept that people very rarely live up to grand, noble principles when it actually comes to ground level?

Chatanga veer

I had a little think about it and personally I feel the word ਨੁਕਸਾਨ would be better suited to your needs.

Also you need to factor in a good few things before and whilst you proceed. The first thing was the previously mentioned Sikh propensity to ignore injuries. Also consider more current trends to, like the nascent but growing attempts to bridge the gap between Pak Panjabis and our lot.

I was thinking about Suryadev's comment on the supposed 'stiff upper lip' of our people, and I sort of began to think that it isn't that, it's as much (if not more) of a case of our people having the memories of goldfish and being unable to recognise those who show us enmity and bear us ill will, or want to simply manipulate us for their own purposes.

We get shafted and quickly forget about it. Probably because someone else then usually comes along and starts to try and shaft us straight afterwards.

lol.

I should also tell you (my experience) I used to try and warn my nephew about partition and its lessons. Later, his grandparents came over and undermined it all by saying how well they got on with so and so etc. It probably helps that we were from a Sikh majority area and sullay had no chance against apnay there. They were the ones in danger actually and experienced retaliatory wrath for what happened in Pakland (from what I hear).

Edited by dalsingh101

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I am surprised at the huge amount of ass-kissing of pakistanis by sikhs in wishing them happy anniversary.

I'm surprised you're surprised; arse-kissing outsiders (even when they've wronged us) seems to be a specialty of many apnay.

I'm surprised you're surprised; arse-kissing outsiders (even when they've wronged us) seems to be a specialty of many apnay.

I thought there may have been 1 or 2 on FB, but there were loads. What is wrong with them?

Today, after all the muck we have been through living in india, its the same.

I thought there may have been 1 or 2 on FB, but there were loads. What is wrong with them?

Today, after all the muck we have been through living in india, its the same.

You could turn around and say the same about apnay arse-licking Anglos too. They set up the chain of events that led to our current situation but you talk to some idiots, they think they are the best thing since rotis in packets.