What You Guys Reading These Days?

dalsingh101

22 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

Have started today on "Sri Gur Sobha" by Kavi Sainapati. I have read the 1st chapter (attempting to read one every day in Gurmukhi and English). I have to say I really enjoyed reading it.

Kulwant Singh of IOSS has done a translation of it, as with Panth Parkash, and it looks really good. Still a few typos though.

What translation you reading? Ami's or Kulwant Singh's?

I don't know but I hope he gets it checked over for english spelling by a westerner.

I found it very interesting that Kavi Sainapati says he was asked by someone to write "Sri Gur Sobha", rather than it being an exercise of his own initiative. Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangu also wrote "Sri Gur Panth Parkash" at Capt Murrays' behest.

Chatanga:

See how Kulwant translates the following lines (of Ami's version), post it if you can: 

ਭਏ ਤਯਾਰ ਹਿਥਿਆਰ ਪਾਚੋਂ ਕਸੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਤਿਹ ਠਉਰ ਬਨ ਬੇਗ ਆਏ। 
ਏਕ ਸੋ ਏਕ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸੂਰਾ ਸਰਸ ਟਾਂਕ ਦੁਇ ਤੀਨ ਆਫੂ ਹੜਾਏ। 599

Ami translates it as:

Armed with five weapons they were ready and the Singhs arrived at that place promptly.

Each and every brave warrior had some opium with him.

^^^ Don't trouble yourself too much Chatanga.... lol

Making my way slowly through Dickens's Bleak House right now. 

On 02/01/2016 at 5:41 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Chatanga:

See how Kulwant translates the following lines (of Ami's version), post it if you can: 

Ami translates it as:

Haven't been well over the week so apologies to all my fans.

Kulwant Singh writes:

Armed with 5 arms did they get ready, quickly did the Singhs arrive in all readiness

Each warrior being mightier than the other, two three doses of opium did they partake.

27 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

Haven't been well over the week so apologies to all my fans.

Kulwant Singh writes:

Armed with 5 arms did they get ready, quickly did the Singhs arrive in all readiness

Each warrior being mightier than the other, two three doses of opium did they partake.

Thanks for that. 

What do people make of that? A purportedly contemporary source of Guru Gobind Singh ji, referring to opium taking by Singhs? 

Get well soon Chatanga. 

Yeah, I hadn't got that far in the granth, but that thought did go through my mind as well, as it often thought it was a later development.

Also I wish Kulwant Singh had taken the time to have his book proof read.

In his Panjabi writing, it says "ek sau ek" meaning 101, rather than "ek so ek" which means something different.

Also I wish Kulwant Singh had taken the time to have his book proof read.

That's considered an (unnecessary) optional extra in Indian publishing. lol

• 5 months later...

Have finished reading "The Maharajah's Box" by christie Campbell.

It is such a sad story to read about Maharajah Duleep Singh and his family. I haven't read a book like for a long time. The guy was played like a sucker right from the start of his childhood through to his death by the british.

There are some revealing details about Maharajah Duleep Sinhgh as well, that even after taking pahul, he carried on drinking heavily and did sometime after keeping his beard, trimmed it.

When i came to the final page, I was quite overwhelmed at his life and struggle.  Very sad indeed.

• 4 months later...
Guest Penguin
On 11/20/2016 at 4:31 AM, Premi said:

Anyone read any interesting books recently?

Just finished Energy Anatomy by Caroline myss. Worth checking out if somebody's interest in chakra and how we operate according to what chakra and what tribe we belong to. Just ordered more books from thriftbooks ( a website to buy used books, which are in awesome condition and each book is like 4$ or something, I just discovered It few weeks ago ). So anybody who wants to have a library, website is worth checking out. I am now reading The Four agreement. Never tried to pick that book up thinking it might be some Christian based book and I did not want to fill my mind with but it's a book about universal agreements we make .

I finished a book I started a long time ago called "The Proudest Day" about the partition of India, written in great detail about the political side of the whole affair. It is a very good book with great info on all parties and participants involved.

I have started a book by Ian talbot and Gurharpal Singh called " The partition of India". 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finshed reading "The Proudest Day". It is a very balanced book about the movement for India's indepedence and I would recommend it to everyone. It deals with all the background political ongoings, and not to much with the actual partition itself.

I have started to read "The Blood Telegram." It's about Bangladesh and the creation of it in 1971. It deals with the Indo-Pak war through a geo-political angle, and truly I'm amazed at how certain countries but esp USA under Nixon operated thir foreign policies, and the aligned movement, and all the paranoia, suffering and lack of empathy for the common man. Even India's participation in the war, is not as straightforward as you would think.

Still the whole episode further exposes how the british foollishly accepted the 2-nation theory which didn't even last 25 years.

I've been reading quite a lot lately - amongst these a rereading of the Sarkutavali Granth as well as Western literature and philosophy as my gore collegues say i'm too focused on Indic literature lol.

I recently joined a literature club that meets once a month where we are to read various literature. This will widen my horizon so I dont just read stuff I pick myself.