What You Guys Reading These Days?

dalsingh101

19 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

They did. They invited some perverted politicians to sleazy parties and then secretly filmed them doing gundh and then blackmailed them. They also had contacts in the police. 

Veer ji no wonder they had a notorious name repution even until now. 

It just proves the whole system is bad as the kray twins were as they had blackmailed the politians.

18 minutes ago, Soulfinder said:

Veer ji no wonder they had a notorious name repution even until now. 

It just proves the whole system is bad as the kray twins were as they had blackmailed the politians.

Yeah, and some of the politicians involved are still being protected.

Frances Kray: The Tragic Bride - By Jacky Hyams

515zNTE9cVL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just continuing my reading to sort of get behind the myth of the Kray brothers from another angle. It's really interesting to read this from a female perspective. Lately I've realised that as a bloke I've been reading way too much from solely a male perspective so this sort of stuff helps balance that out. It's a story of a young pretty girl thrown into a dark world by a violent boyfriend (Reggie Kray), that ultimately led to her untimely demise. 

^^^

Getting into that book. I'd strongly recommend it for anyone whose grown up in East London. It gives a good ground level account of the area during the war and immediately after WW2. Essentially it tells me what the manor was like just before my grandad landed there. Very interesting. Kids growing up having fights on sites bombed by the Luftwaffe. 

• 4 months later...

Finally got to start reading Kulwant Singh's translation of Sri Gursobha. It's a milestone for me, because it's only now that I feel I can actually read the Gurmukhi original in a half decent way (as in pronunciation - the vocab is still pretty tough and unfamiliar most of the time).

Thanks to all the sangat here that helped with all my amateur translation efforts over the years and gave me encouragement in learning to read my prayers (which was the main thing that made me improve my reading skills). 

Chatanga - big up to you for all the effort you put in with translations, especially that epic Lassi and Cha thing. 

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

Currently reading Bhai Bala Jis Janamsakhi, Dasmesh Darshan written by Vedata Singh Teer, Amir Bhandar Teeka, Saurkutavli and skimming through Gur Kian Sakhiyan, Gur sobha and Sri gur katha

That's a serious list. Post any interesting things you find for discussion if you get the inclination. 

4 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

Currently reading Bhai Bala Jis Janamsakhi, Dasmesh Darshan written by Vedata Singh Teer, Amir Bhandar Teeka, Saurkutavli and skimming through Gur Kian Sakhiyan, Gur sobha and Sri gur katha

Veer ji thats a really good list and may Waheguru Guru Sahib Ji keep doing kirpa on you as its one of the best list i have read from anyone on here.

8 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

That's a serious list. Post any interesting things you find for discussion if you get the inclination. 

One thing i found when i was reading bhai bala jis janamsakhi was the janeyu thing. It says that maharaj then wore the janeyu at the end cause the pandit was basically like “please make it pure etc” and guru sahib was like fineeeee.

11 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

But ya i have too many books and granths i bought so gotta slowly tackle them all down

What's your language skills like right now? Mine never seem adequate to me. 

58 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

What's your language skills like right now? Mine never seem adequate to me. 

Language skills in the sense of understanding them? Like my understanding of brij pasha is like 45 outta 100 but with more reading it gets better. Like i even started nanak parkash for a bit and read with the punjabi translations and a lot of stuff started to make sense even when i was reading without translations. It depends on the time and effort you put in. Like if you read all of nanak parkash and sooraj parkash, you guaranteed can read everything else with ease.

18 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

Like my library is packed completely. I probably have spent over 1000 dollars buying granths and books and its gotten to the point that i have become a hoarder 😂

Where do you buy them from? 

30 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

India, few stores in Canada such as Saucha Sauda. Ill take a pic of my library and send it on dm lol

Why don't you post it here? I don't know about all these younguns dm stuff. lol

On 1/6/2020 at 5:50 PM, Singh123456777 said:

Language skills in the sense of understanding them? Like my understanding of brij pasha is like 45 outta 100 but with more reading it gets better. Like i even started nanak parkash for a bit and read with the punjabi translations and a lot of stuff started to make sense even when i was reading without translations. It depends on the time and effort you put in. Like if you read all of nanak parkash and sooraj parkash, you guaranteed can read everything else with ease.

I was really enjoying going through Charitrio Pakyaan chariter by chariter. It was helping my Brij Bhasha big time. Don't know why Chatanga stopped it. I hope it wasn't because we happened to have a few chariters that implicitly criticised the Jut/Jutti characters within?

Given your reading, you must have thought "Hmmmmm...Brij Bhasha is quite essential to access original Sikh texts," at some point? 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Given your reading, you must have thought "Hmmmmm...Brij Bhasha is quite essential to access original Sikh texts," at some point? 

Brij pasha is really essential when it comes to trying to understand our puratan ithihask granths. Dunno why everyone favoured brij pasha back then 

19 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

Brij pasha is really essential when it comes to trying to understand our puratan ithihask granths. Dunno why everyone favoured brij pasha back then 

I read an interesting text by Shackle and Mandair years ago that suggested that the broadening of lexicon was purposefully done by our Gurus. They claim that there was a gradual widening from Baba Nanak's more tett Panjabi so that when we got to nauvin padshaah, they were writing in Brij Bhasha. That language seems like a middle ground for religious discourse in medieval India - so it would be a method to widen the potential access to Sikhi as well as an engagement with a wider dharmic discourse throughout the country. 

How much an acre of land cost out there Singh? Where are you? The west coast? 

14 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

Im east coast, Toronto side. It depends where the acre is located. Could range from 30k to 200k.

Okay, 30K Canadian is about £18000. Where would you get that? 

1 hour ago, Singh123456777 said:

Further away from the city

That'll be what I want. 

You know anything about building out there Singh?  

4 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

That'll be what I want. 

You know anything about building out there Singh?  

If you have the right permits etc you could build yourself a nice house for 300-400k. We were thinking of building in the future another house on our property but gotta still look at what the city allows etc