What You Guys Reading These Days?

dalsingh101

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished this. Couldn't put it down. It is even better than the first. PLus it REALLY is pertinent to our lot abroad as it covers human trafficking and how the state can cover this up. 

Definitely recommended. 

9781906694159-uk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Sajjan_Thug said:

You will find this 94 page thesis paper interesting.  It's called 

Problematizing the problematic: The Nihangs within the great Sikh court of 19th century India

By Sharanjit Kaur Sandhra

You can download it here 

https://www.scribd.com/document/77005226/Ubc-2008-Fall-Sandhra-Sharanjit-Kaur

Can you upload this thesis onto this topic.  It won't let dass download from scribd

Also, Nihang Singh publish a magazine.  Here is one issue 

https://www.scribd.com/document/324164526/Nihang-Sandesh

Can someone also upload or attach this to this topic.  

Kaur pdf was blank. Heres the second. scribd.vdownloaders.com_nihang-sandesh.pdf

3 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

I don't want to plot spoil, but I'll try and explain. It's about a young talented girl who is labelled insane and  institutionalised in order to cover up for a political purpose. It shows how political agendas sacrifice vulnerable people `and how police corruption plays a part in this. It's also about resilience and people who are courageous enough to take on the establishment for what is right, and how far the establishment can go to try and cover up their own illegal actions through coordinated misinformation via social services apparatus and compliant media.

These issues seem familiar to you from what you've learnt about how Sikhs have been treated in the UK? lol   

@HSD

I think you need to read these. They also weave in the cold war and neo-nazis into the narrative. 

Given what I heard years ago on the street grapevine, there is likely to be more behind this narrative than just fiction. The sudden way in which the author died shortly after supplying his manuscript to his publishers  (and before publication) is spooky and shockingly ominous given some of the plots in the story. 

On 2/11/2023 at 1:35 PM, dalsingh101 said:

@HSD

I think you need to read these. They also weave in the cold war and neo-nazis into the narrative. 

Given what I heard years ago on the street grapevine, there is likely to be more behind this narrative than just fiction. The sudden way in which the author died shortly after supplying his manuscript to his publishers  (and before publication) is spooky and shockingly ominous given some of the plots in the story. 

Hehehe I already read them a few years ago but I didn’t get through them as quick as you did! It’s one of the most realistic thrillers I’ve read and the author wanted to write ten books on the subject so you’re right about them silencing him. The Swedish far-right were meant to be instrumental in sending supplies to fascists for Operation Gladio as they hoped Sweden’s neutrality would prevent them being dragged into a hot war. This is similar to how they acted in WW2. There were probably a bunch of other things he would have come out with too.

The Lisbeth character was probably based on a real person too, the way she is treated just for knowing things she shouldn’t is how right wing persecution works. Nordic countries like to have a squeaky clean image but a lot of weird things happen there, like the Jennifer Fairgate case.

Any Sikh who reads these books shouldn’t just presume that this sort of thing doesn’t happen in their own country because it sounds unpalatable. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across this author. A former UK GP/family medicine doctor

many interesting titles. Surprised I’ve never heard of him before

(From Amazon Uk)

• 4 months later...

I saw the film years ago, but actually just read the book a few days ago. It was a good read. 

9780099628712 Sleepers

Reading this now: 

1*2Za85D5wR-BKNCvMY3tfDw.jpeg

Very different to the previous book I read, Sleepers. 

• 4 weeks later...

Picked this up. I previously made a thread about Omissi's other book which was made up of translated extracts from ww1 soldier's letters. This book looks a lot more dense than that one. 

Page 1

• 2 months later...