Majhi Dialect

johnyork

What is the best way to tell a Punjabi speaker, "I speak Majhi dialect."

1) ਮੈਂ ਮਾਝੀ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹਾਂ।

2) ਮੈਂ ਮਾਝੀ ਉਪਬੋਲੀ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹਾਂ।

3) ਮੈਂ ਮਾਝੀ ਉਪਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹਾਂ।

4) (you create a better sentence for me)

Would you, as a Punjabi speaker understand this if a non-native Punjabi speaker said this to you? Or would you be confused if someone said this to you?

Great question!

Straight up, I didn't know of any Panjabi words that corresponded to the English word 'dialect' before I read the sentences you gave above...... lol

If my ignorance is common (don't know if it is?) - then it might be a good idea to simply refer to the area that relates to the Panjabi you speak i.e.

ਮੈਂ ਮਾਝਾ ਇਲਾਕਾ ਵਾਲੀ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹਾਂ

or

ਮੈਂ ਮਾਝਾ ਇਲਾਕਾ ਦੀ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹਾਂ

i.e. I speak the Panjabi from the Majha region

Bear in mind I am second generation raised in the diaspora, with little contact with Panjab itself, so I'm sure there may be better ways to express this - I could have also made mistakes, my Panjabi is getting a bit rusty.

Being brought up in the diaspora I having been exposed to many different dialects growing up. I doubt I have a set one, mine is probably a kitchori of dialects.

ਮੈਂ ਮਾਝੀ ਇਲਾਕੇ ਦੀ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹਾਂ

The ੇ is added because the person, object, idea, language, etc belongs to it.

"Main maajhe/duabe/ maalwe di bolli bolda haan."

This would be:

ਮੈਂ ਮਾਝੇ/ ਦੋਆਬੇ/ ਮਾਲਵੇ ਦੀ ਬੋਲੀ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹਾਂ

ਮਾਝੀ ਦੋਆਬਾ ਮਾਲਵਾ become ਮਾਝੇ ਦੋਆਬੇ ਮਾਲਵੇ

Edited by BhagatSingh

Johnyork

I think the spelling 'Panjabi' more accurately reflects native pronunciation than the 'Punjabi' variant.

Personally, I would prefer if you used the 'a' version myself. Just a request btw.

Dal Singh Ji, I agree that "Punjabi" may not be the best representation for the pronunciation of ਪੰਜਾਬੀ. The first syllable contains a nasalized mukta sound which is better represented by "an" than "un". The sound would be more accurately represented with a nasalized schwa "ən" or even better "ə̃".

Even, when I spell it in Shahmukhi

پنجابی

it has a nasalized zabar that produces a sound which I agree is better represented with "an" than with "un".