Panjabi And Gurmukhi Sentence Structures (Grammar)

For brother johny.

You can stick all your queries regarding grammar, syntax here.

That way people can find all related info easily in one place (that's the objective anyway).

ਉਸਨੇ <= Please use this word in a sentence. It is ਉਹ + ਨੇ.

ਨੇ is an ergative marker. It is also used to show emphasis. However, I would like to see an example sentence where it is used as a required case marker. Please explain why it was required in your example sentence.

ਉਸਨੇ <= Please use this word in a sentence. It is ਉਹ + ਨੇ.

ਨੇ is an ergative marker. It is also used to show emphasis. However, I would like to see an example sentence where it is used as a required case marker. Please explain why it was required in your example sentence.

At the danger of 'dumbing it down' considerably I'd venture:

ਉਸਨੇ (I think) is a plural form of ਉਹ + ਨੇ. As you most likely already know, Panjabis use plural forms (even for single individuals) when speaking 'respectfully' - especially with elders for example.

As an example of informal usage, I could say:

ਉਹ ਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕਿਤਾਬ ਦਖਾਈ ਸੀ ।

To me this translates as: 'He had shown me the book'.

If I was talking about an elder, or formally, I could simply change the start:

ਉਸਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕਿਤਾਬ ਦਖਾਈ ਸੀ ।

Maybe consider ਉਹ along the lines of 'that' 'he/she' 'him,her'

whilst ਉਸ, is more like 'they' and 'that' (respectfully i.e. less direct)

ਨੇ is hard to nail, but the context above, it seems similar to 'did' indicating the verb that is later refered to was done by the person being indirectly spoken of:

So when we say ਉਹ ਨੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਸੀ।

We mean 'he/she did it'

Don't know if this is of any help?

ਉਹ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਖਾਣਾ ਦਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ ।

She gives food (to me).

ਉਹ ਮੇਰੇ ਲਈ ਖਾਣਾ ਬਣਾਉਂਦੀ ਹੈ ।

She cooks food (for me).

The above seem fine to me apart from the use of ਦਿੰਦਾ in place of the female ਦਿੰਦੀ in the first example:

It should be:

ਉਹ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਖਾਣਾ ਦਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ ।

Your example is fine but it indicates that you are talking about a male and not a female.

As for:

ਉਹ ਮੈਥੋਂ ਵੈਸ਼ਨੂੰ ਖਾਣਾ ਖਾਦੇ ਹਨ ।

They eat vegetarian food from me.

The ਖਾਦੇ should be replaced with the nasalised ਖਾਂਦੇ in my opinion.

Native speakers please comment. I may well have gotten things wrong!

Edited by dalsingh101

Dally you have everything right except for this:

At the danger of 'dumbing it down' considerably I'd venture:

ਉਸਨੇ (I think) is a plural form of ਉਹ + ਨੇ. As you most likely already
know, Panjabis use plural forms (even for single individuals) when
speaking 'respectfully' - especially with elders for example.

ਉਸਨੇ is ਉਹ + ਨੇ. It can also be said/writtin as ਉਹਨੇ. It is singular.

Plural of ਉਹ is ਉਹਨਾ or ਉਨ੍ਹਾ. Plural of ਉਸਨੇ is ਉਹਨਾ ਨੇ or ਉਨ੍ਹਾ ਨੇ.

So ਉਹਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕਿਤਾਬ ਦਖਾਈ ਸੀ । becomes ਉਹਨਾ ਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕਿਤਾਬ ਦਖਾਈ ਸੀ । when speaking to a respected person.

John,

Continuing from our previous discussion:

ਉਹ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਪੜ੍ਹਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ l He teaches me.
ਉਹ ਮੇਨੂੰ ਪੜ੍ਹਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ l He is teaching me.

ਉਹਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਪੜ੍ਹਾਇਆ ਹੈ l He has taught me.

ਉਹਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਪੜ੍ਹਾਇਆ ਸੀ l He taught me.

Now this is a teacher so you would use the plural tense. Can you convert each sentence so it shows respect?

Edited by BhagatSingh

Good replies and don't be afraid if you are unsure if what you are telling me is 100% correct. I appreciate anyone taking time out to share what they know.

Okay, so here are the modified sentences. Can I get an additional confirmation on whether they are correct now.

ਉਹ ਮੈਥੋਂ ਵੈਸ਼ਨੂੰ ਖਾਣਾ ਖਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ ।

They eat vegetarian food from me.

ਉਹ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਖਾਣਾ ਦਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ ।

She gives food to me.

Both of these sentences are written in present simple.

Edited by johnyork

ਉਸਨੇ is ਉਹ + ਨੇ. It can also be said/writtin as ਉਹਨੇ. It is singular.

Plural of ਉਹ is ਉਹਨਾ or ਉਨ੍ਹਾ. Plural of ਉਸਨੇ is ਉਹਨਾ ਨੇ or ਉਨ੍ਹਾ ਨੇ.

So ਉਹਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕਿਤਾਬ ਦਖਾਈ ਸੀ । becomes ਉਹਨਾ ਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕਿਤਾਬ ਦਖਾਈ ਸੀ । when speaking to a respected person.

Thanks for clarifying.

Excuse me, Sorry, etc.

1. ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ (excuse me, pardon me)

2. ਮੈਂ ਮਾਫੀ ਮੰਗਦਾ ਹਾਂ । (I apologize)

3. ਮੈਨੂੰ ਅਫਸੋਸ ਹੈ । (sorry)

Please share your opinion on usage of these phrases/sentences.

Ex. ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ is for if you bump into someone and you want to say excuse me. What are some other examples you could use ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ for? If you accidentally spill grape juice on someone's carpet, would you use ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ? If not, what would you use? What about getting someone's attention, like for example, "Excuse me, where is the bathroom?".

What's the difference between ਮੈਂ ਮਾਫੀ ਮੰਗਦਾ ਹਾਂ and

ਮੈਨੂੰ ਅਫਸੋਸ ਹੈ as far as usage goes. What situations would you use them.

Also, if you know other phrases or sentences to say excuse me or I am sorry; then share those.

1. ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ (excuse me, pardon me)

I'd agree with the above.

2. ਮੈਂ ਮਾਫੀ ਮੰਗਦਾ ਹਾਂ । (I apologize)

This is 'I am asking for forgiveness'

3. ਮੈਨੂੰ ਅਫਸੋਸ ਹੈ । (sorry)

Not to sure about this one. I think it is along the lines of 'I am in grief' 'I am sorrowful' 'I commiserate'.

Someone desi should clarify. I am sure that the phrase is too strong to use to express a standard 'sorry' as used in English.

Ex. ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ is for if you bump into someone and you want to say excuse me. What are some other examples you could use ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ for? If you accidentally spill grape juice on someone's carpet, would you use ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ? If not, what would you use? What about getting someone's attention, like for example, "Excuse me, where is the bathroom?".

It would probably be better to try and clean up any mess as quick as possible. lol

As for 'excuse me' - I'd simply start by calling the person 'ji', and then asking the question. Amongst desis we'd use phrases like 'Bhai ji' meaning brother to be respectful.

Like: ਭਾਈ ਜੀ, ਏਥੇ washroom ਕਿੱਥੇ ਆ? Brother, where is the washroom here?

And if you are not Pindu then you can replace ਆ with ਐ or ਹੈ lol!

My secrets out!!!!

Do you also pronounce ਛ the same way as ਸ਼? XD

No!!

I know that ਛ is an aspirated 'ch' sound as in 'church' and ਸ਼ is the 'sh' in shirt or sherbet.

1) ਮੈਂ ਠੀਕ ਹਾਂ ।

2) ਮੈਂ ਠੀਕ ਆਂ ।

Both of these sentences mean, "I am O.K./alright/good". However, they are spoken in different areas.

If you heard these sentences; where would you think the speakers were from?

There are no wrong answers because you are just stating your opinion. Just say the first area that comes to mind if you heard these sentences.

I said ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ (معاف کرنا) to say, "excuse me". However, I was corrected and told that I should say ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰੀਓ (معاف کريو).

1) ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ (معاف کرنا)

2) ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰੀਓ (معاف کريو)

Are these just regional variations for "excuse me/pardon/etc.". If so, which region (in general terms) belongs to each variation?

I think it should be ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰੇਓ?

I don't think the differences are regional but rather slightly nuanced in meaning as in:

1) ਕਰਨਾ - to do (immediate and direct)
2) ਕਰੇਓ - more of a request, implies forgiveness not yet granted and could be withheld. Politer.

the root verb here is ਕਰ - do

No!!

I know that ਛ is an aspirated 'ch' sound as in 'church' and ਸ਼ is the 'sh' in shirt or sherbet.

Dude you research in your spare time + You aspirate ਚ to say ਛ = You are not Pindu then or only half Pindu!

Johnyork,

1) ਮੈਂ ਠੀਕ ਹਾਂ । - is grammatically correct. ਹਾਂ, ਹੈ, ਹਨ are correct. But in common discourse you might hear ਆਂ, ਐ/ਆ, ਨੇ instead.

There's more to it, when it comes to telling whether someone is from a certain region.

Dally is correct about 1 and 2. 2 is used for elders and respected folks.

But it should be ਮੁਆਫ਼ ਕਰਿਉ, and it is usually in a sentence, not on its own. ਜੇ ਕੋਈ ਗਲਤੀ ਹੋ ਗਈ ਹੋਵੇ ਤਾਂ ਮੁਆਫ਼ ਕਰਿਉ. On the other hand, ਮੁਆਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ works as "excuse me/ pardon me" on its own, with or without a sentence. You bump into someone and say: ਮੁਆਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ or you want to ask for the washrooms: ਮੁਆਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ ਭਰਾ ਜੀ ਇੱਥੇ ਵਾਸ਼ਰੂਮ ਕਿੱਥੇ ਹਨ ?

You can also say ਮੈਨੂੰ ਮੁਆਫ਼ ਕਰ ਦਿਉ ਜੀ l This also shows more politeness and respect than ਮੁਆਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ l

Edited by BhagatSingh

ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰੀਓ inflected form?

Is "ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰੀਓ" and inflected form of "ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ"?

"ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ" is listed in my ਪੰਜਾਬੀ kosh as a verb meaning to pardon, to excuse, etc..

I am not able to find "ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰੀਓ". So, is "ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰੀਓ" an inflected form of "ਮਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ"? If it is, how is student of ਪੰਜਾਬੀ supposed to know this information? Where can I find this information?