I Want To Take Amrit

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!

Bruv I am wanting to take amrit I can feel guru ji calling me, but I have certain issuse that my mann can't over come!

Q: I love singhs the way they are, how they look etc, but I have difficulties wanting to grow my kesh simple because (forgive me for saying this) but its because of sex I'd feel wrong to have sex with my partner unless its to concive a child. My partner is backing me saying its not a problem, but for me it really is. I just feel wrong. Please help and im sorry for the headache of a question

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if I fully understood your concern. If you are assuming that Amritdhari Sikhs can have sex only to conceive, then that assumption is wrong. The Rehat Maryada requires only that you not have sex outside your marriage. Sex is a natural thing created by God. Like many other gifts in our life, loving relationship involving sex is a gift from God.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਰੰਗ ਰਸ ਭੋਗ ॥ ॥ By His Grace, you enjoy tastes and pleasures (SGGS 269)

The Guru wants us to use these gifts to bolster our love for God by being thankful to God when we enjoy these gifts. The only reminder we get from our Guru is to not get so engrossed in the gifts that we forget the giver.

ਦਾਤਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਵਿਸਰਿਆ ਦਾਤਾਰਾ ॥ He loves gifts, but he forgets the Giver. (SGGS 676)

Sikhism grew up in a culture where people held the belief that denying comfort or torturing one's body will bring one closer to God. Sikhism does not support this belief, however, the past cultural influences are still prevalent in our thinking. It's based on this flawed thinking, some people still believe that denying sex to our body is a virtue. Sikhism promotes "sehaj" (natural effortlessness) path. God is our father. It is every father's desire to bestow comfort on his children. We do not make our father happy by making ourselves uncomfortable; we make him happy by loving him and by appreciating his care for us.

If you have thirst for amrit in your mind, I suggest that you go ahead and take the pahul, and not worry about these little things. Don't forget that once we take amrit, we become Guru's responsibility. If you take one step towards the Guru, the Guru will take millions of steps to welcome you (Bhai Gurdas ji).

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

• 5 weeks later...

Brief points:

1. Kaam (desire/lust) has been counted as the first one amongst the five enemies of the jeev-aatma. Kaam is lust for anything NOT just sex. The word comes from Kaamna, desire.

2. Another enemy is 'Moh' or attachment. This refers to the feeling of taking this world, the possessions and people to be true and everlasting and not wanting to let go of them. It also refers to forgetting that we ourselves are impermanent and dying every moment (physical)

3. Sexual relationship apparently fosters both of these enemies. But saying it as a matter of fact, after some time of married life, interest in sex settles down to a comfortable level naturally once you are over the excitement of it.

4.Although Kaam is to be overcome, there is no need to abstain from sex forcefully. When you adopt a spiritual attitude in life and you connect more and more with Gurbani, it shall go down naturally, it is not to be forced.

5. As far as taking Amrit is concerned, one should never hurry it up. One should first start living the lifestyle, get up at amrit vela, do Nitnem, do Naam Jaap, get acquainted with various Baanis. After at least a year or so of this lifestyle when you are sure you can live it up, then go for it.

6 The focus should not be on abstaining from sex and being worried over krodha or being worried that you shall develop attachment. The focus should be to connect with Gurbani more and more and to do Simran more and more.

• 1 month later...

Hey just to share( if you already dont know this). There are only 4 things you cannot do if you want to take amrit

1) cannot cut , pluck pull or do and type of beadbi to your kesh

2) cannot commit adultary( have sex before marrige or have sex with another women other then your spouse.)

3)cannot do nashe ( drugs alcohol cigerattes)

4) this is a contriversial one You cannot have kutha meat(halal). But this generally means you cannot have meat at all. Its upto you , i dont want to start a discussion on this.

And here my opinion or what i have learnt:

Nobody is perfect. So by taking amrit you do not become perfect , and you cant be perfect before taking amrit. BY TAKING AMRIT YOU HAVE WALKED ONTO THE PATH OF BECOMING PURE. YOU LEARN AND BECOME BETTER EVERYDAY.

And whos seen tommorow, what if your not hwre tommorow. This is what inspire me to take amrit:

I was a bit like you , but i had excuses , i kept on delaying by saying im not ready and i was told this True story:

A person had been wanting to take amrit for 10 years , the day .his family decided they will take amrit . The day before they were meant to take it , their sons arm broke and they had to go hospital:

My point being , anything can happen so dont delay it , if youve thought you want to then do it.

Sorry if ive said anything wrong .

• 1 year later...

VaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

Brother, Guru Ji has nothing against us enjoying such things with our partners.

To my knowledge it was the Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji who advised His son Guru Gobind Singh Ji (approx age 11) before His own martyrdom that 'while you have breath in you, increase your love with your wife everyday but do not even in your dreams go to another woman's bed'. That is not an exact quote obviously but Guru Ji wants us to have love with our partners and obviously this also includes a physical relationship. Guru Ji has told us we should have a normal family life whilst living a good spiritual life. Obviously part of a normal family life is husband and wife being together physically.

Things like abstinence are not required as per Sikhi, to my knowledge these have been rejected.

Do not worry bro.

The main things you got to look at is are you ready to give your head to Guru Ji. Are you willing to live and die for Guru Ji if necessary. AmritDhari Sikhs consider themselves already dead as they have given their head to Guru Ji and therefore they belong completely to Guru Ji.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions you can ask.

VaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

• 9 months later...