British Female Jihadis In Syria

"Maryam" is a British woman who has moved to Syria to join the anti-Assad rebels. She can use a Kalashnikov and would like to fight, but has had to settle for the life of a jihadi's wife.

She's a tall young woman, dressed in a hijab, complete with face veil, firing a gun. She speaks with a London accent, and calls herself "Maryam".

It's not her real name, but her commitment to the jihad is real enough: "These are our brothers and sisters and they need our help."

Maryam shoots a Kalashnikov for the camera, and then fires off a revolver. She'd like to fight, to become what she calls a martyr. But she's not a frontline fighter. She's a fighter's wife, with weapons for her own protection.

The latest pictures from Syria reveal a new insight into the lives of British citizens who've travelled to join the campaign inside rebel-held territory in the country's north.

Exclusively obtained by Channel 4 News, they were filmed by Bilal Abdul Kareem, an American Muslim convert who's living among western jihadi fighters and their families inside Syria, documenting their lives.

He says he wants to show the reality of the lives of these foreign jihadis.

Maryam's marriage to her fighter husband, Abu Bakr, was arranged by his mother three months ago. She didn't meet him until after they were married.

He's Swedish, and born a Muslim. She's British, and converted to Islam four years ago.

'Sacrifice'

"I couldn't find anyone in the UK who was willing to sacrifice their life in this world for the life in the hereafter... I prayed, and Allah ruled that I came here to marry Abu Bakr."

Until her recent departure from the UK for Syria she lived what she describes as an okay life.

When she was younger she liked to watch football on TV. She studied psychology and sociology at college, and says compared to others on her road she was rich, although by British standards she was poor.

She says her parents know she's travelled to the war-torn country, but they don't know the detail of what she's doing.

Hers is a choice she wants other Muslims to make: "You need to wake up and stop being scared of death... we know that there's heaven and hell. At the end of the day, Allah's going to question you. Instead of sitting down and focusing on your families or your study, you just need to wake up because the time is ticking."

23_jihadwomen2_w_LRG.jpg

She and her husband are raising a child together, and are now expecting another. They appear at ease together on camera, talking over who should do the cooking, squabbling over who has the better Kalashnikov.

But they agree on the big picture. Their long-term objective is what they see as the liberation of Syria, followed by the establishment of an Islamic caliphate.

Abu Bakr fights with the Sunni jihadi militia known as Katiba al Muhajireen - the battalion of migrants - an active fighting force.

They fight alongside bigger Islamic groups such as Ahrar al-Sham and the al-Qaeda affiliated Jabhat al-Nusra. He's a full-time fighter. He lists the victories his militia has won.

Atrocities

But this is Syria. There are not only victories but defeats, and serious atrocities.

President Assad's forces are fighting here to take back rebel-held territory from groups they regard as terrorists. By night, from the building where the family live, they can hear the government forces' heavy weapons and see the flash of firing on the horizon.

Maryam says the sound of the fight doesn't bother her. Instead, she says it makes her feel like "victory is near. God willing my son will join them. Maybe I'll join them. They are honoured to be there, unlike me. I'm in the house, but, at least I'm here".

Another British family is here as well. They live downstairs.

"Aisha" (not her real name) says she only arrived a month ago with her husband, who's joined the same band of foreign fighters as his neighbour. They have a daughter.

Aisha says she was a little unhappy at first, but now she and her daughter are settling in: "I think children adapt very quickly, so she’s been okay.

"The first few days, she was saying she wants to go back home. She wants to go to England. But now she's okay. She loves being outdoors, being able to play."

23_jihdwomen1_w_LRG.jpg

The two women have the use of a car, and drive to the supermarket along the rough dirt roads. Noting Maryam's hair-raising speed, someone describes her as driving like a "mujahid" or holy warrior.

She wears motorcycle gloves for modesty, and describes the gloves her sisters wear as too feminine.

At the supermarket, they buy nappies, bread, a bucket, the kind of thing you'd normally buy on a shopping trip.

British food

Maryam admits she misses British food, especially cakes, junk food, and her mother's cooking.

She says her parents know she's in Syria, although they're unaware of the full detail of her situation, and that her father has offered to send money. Her husband earns roughly $150 a month.

Maryam says she has no plans to return to the UK, ever, even if her new husband is killed in battle.

"I will stay here because I didn't come here for him. I wouldn't like to go back to the UK. I'll stay here, raise my children, focus on the Arabic language to communicate with the Syrian people.

"As long as I have a car, I'll be able to go shopping and do as I'm doing now."

http://www.channel4.com/news/syria-rebels-jihad-british-foreign-assad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkdUQ5FZAOg&feature=youtu.be

As shocking as this may be to some, I find it unsurprising. What I did find unbelievable was the sense of entitlement. She's not even Syrian but she was squatting in some poor family's house and pretending like it was for the good of the people of Syria. Unbelievable. But that's fundamentalists for you.

One day we will be fighting these kinds of people in East Punjab itself.

Edited by HSD1

I disagree.

If you've joined the 'collective borg' then it's probably best you play an active part in it.

What is shocking about that?

Plus why you give a shite about this crap when our own thing is going down the toilet whilst you point your fingers aghast at Abdul?

Eh? What you disagreeing about now old man?

I said it would be shocking to our own lot who have a rather simplified image of what women are like and who wouldnt expect this. I'm not surprised, some sulliah are just as bent as their menfolk. What annoyed me was the brazen attitude of the jihadni and how she was living in some family's house whilst going on about what's best for Syria. What does that stupid littel girl know about the people there or their history, culture, wants and needs? How can they rail against what the West or Israel does, when the jihadis act like an occupying force themselves? Dont tell me you're not shocked by the lack of decency of these supposedly holy people.

And what's going down the toilet now? We've been floating around down here so long it's hard to tell if we're getting flushed or we'll pop back up again. But the implications of this are obvious. People in Britain are being supported in Jihad by the British government. If they didnt want her to go, they would have stopped her. Our lot love to think that Britain is our eternal ally in the face of Jihad, when in reality the Brits love breeding these useful idiots for use in their foreign policy when they cant send their own people. Also, the large muslim immigration to East Punjab along with the possibility of refugees from Pakistan if the Taliban decide to create problems after 2014 will lead to a similar situation. One of the reasons Syria has such a violent insurgency is due to their open door policy to refugees from warzones in the Middle East over the last 10 years. They thought they were letting in fellow muslims, turns out the Sunnis werent so into a universal Muslim brotherhood.

The joke of it is that having 'supported' the anti Assad 'rebels', the Brits are now mouthing about intervention to stop the very people they've been supporting (who now suddenly turn into Al Qaeda bogey men) from getting access to (I think) nuclear weaponry. Even Sun readers are seeing through that one!

So you support a group....... and then go to war to stop that very group later on.......what the f.......?????

And I don't get you. You read Sikh history in Bhangu's second book, he essentially says the same thing happened in Panjab with all manner of adventurous youngsters wanting in on the Khalsa in the 1700s.

Dont tell me you're not shocked by the lack of decency of these supposedly holy people.

I don't get what you are seeing. She married and is supporting her husband? They think the existing leader of the country is a tosser and want to oust him. This doesn't effect Sikhs one bit.

The joke of it is that having 'supported' the anti Assad 'rebels', the Brits are now mouthing about intervention to stop the very people they've been supporting (who now suddenly turn into Al Qaeda bogey men) from getting access to (I think) nuclear weaponry. Even Sun readers are seeing through that one!

So you support a group....... and then go to war to stop that very group later on.......what the f.......?????

Well at least you figured that out at least. But unfortunately a lot of Sikhs still see this as a war 'to help muslims' rather than seeing the tactics and political implications. The way in which the British Government has used Jihadis to their own ends shouldnt need explaining.

And I don't get you. You read Sikh history in Bhangu's second book, he essentially says the same thing happened in Panjab with all manner of adventurous youngsters wanting in on the Khalsa in the 1700s.

But women though? From London of all places?

I don't get what you are seeing. She married and is supporting her husband? They think the existing leader of the country is a tosser and want to oust him. This doesn't effect Sikhs one bit.

She's from Britian, we're from here too. She lived a normal life in London before she went all Four Lions. I know some Sikhs are so one dimensional they can only handle one issue at a time but this isnt a 'oh look its the sulleh again' type thread. If I had come across an interesting piece on anyone else I would have posted that too. You know how our lot like to put women on a pedestal. This shows different attitudes amongst others, doesnt that interest you? It's not as if learning about this is forcing something else out of your brain.

As for the wider implications of the Syria conflict, it will affect Sikhs eventually. If Syria falls, the Shia Line from Iran to Lebanon is broken. That means a war against Iran is on the cards, which would affect the Sikhs living there if what happened to Sikh people and places in Iraq and Afghanistan is anything to go by. With a fundamentalist Syria, you can expect another war in the Caucasus. Would that mean that the mujis from Afghanistan go there when NATO leaves? Or would they increase attacks in Kashmir to try and get more of the limelight? What would be the implications for Sikhs in East Punjab now they are having problems with muslim immigrants, just as ordinary Syrians had problems with refugees from the War on Terror before it all kicked off in their country? Also, here we have Muji Marys training with Kalashnikovs whilst our prats brag about their swords and what great Nihangs they would have been if it was the 17th century. Now do you get what I am getting at?

Well at least you figured that out at least. But unfortunately a lot of Sikhs still see this as a war 'to help muslims' rather than seeing the tactics and political implications. The way in which the British Government has used Jihadis to their own ends shouldnt need explaining.

Yeah we know they do this but in this case this could be an independent move from the jihadis outside of the governments radar?.

But women though? From London of all places?

She's from Britian, we're from here too. She lived a normal life in London before she went all Four Lions. I know some Sikhs are so one dimensional they can only handle one issue at a time but this isnt a 'oh look its the sulleh again' type thread. If I had come across an interesting piece on anyone else I would have posted that too. You know how our lot like to put women on a pedestal. This shows different attitudes amongst others, doesnt that interest you? It's not as if learning about this is forcing something else out of your brain.

I'm from from East London dude, mofos have been going jihads in Lebanon, training in Pak for decades. If it weren't for the government lockdown LOADS more would go now. Maybe in the countryside where you live this is news but to be frank this is kind of pedestrian to my mind.

So the womens got balls to fight. whippee! Looks a black women got herself some dreamy Arab fighter. Good for her!

As for the wider implications of the Syria conflict, it will affect Sikhs eventually. If Syria falls, the Shia Line from Iran to Lebanon is broken. That means a war against Iran is on the cards, which would affect the Sikhs living there if what happened to Sikh people and places in Iraq and Afghanistan is anything to go by. With a fundamentalist Syria, you can expect another war in the Caucasus. Would that mean that the mujis from Afghanistan go there when NATO leaves? Or would they increase attacks in Kashmir to try and get more of the limelight? What would be the implications for Sikhs in East Punjab now they are having problems with muslim immigrants, just as ordinary Syrians had problems with refugees from the War on Terror before it all kicked off in their country? Also, here we have Muji Marys training with Kalashnikovs whilst our prats brag about their swords and what great Nihangs they would have been if it was the 17th century. Now do you get what I am getting at?

What, that our people are twats who haven't got a clue? I'd say any apnay getting caught out in sullay warzones now are morons given that we all know what's happened in Afghanistan.

Anyone with a brain has known that Kashmir was on a hiatus until the war on commonsense wound down.

I don't know of any Muslim problem in E. Panjab?

Pray do tell.

Edited by dalsingh101

Yeah we know they do this but in this case this could be an independent move from the jihadis outside of the governments radar?.

They wouldnt have made it pass Dover or Heathrow if they didnt have Haguey boy's blessing.

I'm from from East London dude, mofos have been going jihads in Lebanon, training in Pak for decades. If it weren't for the government lockdown LOADS more would go now. Maybe in the countryside where you live this is news but to be frank this is kind of pedestrian to my mind.

So the womens got balls to fight. whippee! Looks a black women got herself some dreamy Arab fighter. Good for her!

Ok ok, so you may have to use a surfboard to get around the sea of jihadis in East London but for some of us the interviews above are very interesting. The candid discussion, the exposure of motivation, mentality, attitudes, actions etc are all very revealing and novel.

What, that our people are twats who haven't got a clue? I'd say any apnay getting caught out in sullay warzones now are morons given that we all know what's happened in Afghanistan.

Just because you or me can see it doesnt mean everyone can. You know how elders keep their heads in the sand and force everyone to tow the line in the hope it all goes away. The women, youngsters and kids in these places cant be blamed for their dumb old men having the wool over their eyes.

Bare in mind that wars in Kashmir, the Middle East and Caucasus wont deter Sikhs from back home running abroad to work in brothels and building sites. But that doesnt mean that those who already live in places around there should be just told to go suck eggs cos we are safe.

Anyone with a brain has known that Kashmir was on a hiatus until the war on commonsense wound down.

'Nah man, we and da mussis is best blads naw, ya dont know! We iz all brown yer get me, we live in peace and smoke da herb together!'

Or whatever the legions of useful idiots out there would say.

I don't know of any Muslim problem in E. Panjab?

Pray do tell.

Well certainly old boy. Shut the door and have a seat wont you.

The 'industrialisation' of East Punjab (in the loosest sense of the word) has led to a lot muslims coming to East Punjab.

A former top cop, some muslim, decided to build or renovate mosques for them. As well as having murdered thousands of Punjabis during the 80s, he decided to use money from the Badals and abroad to pay for the conversion of Sikh orphans, poor Punjabis and lower castes to Islam.

These muslims have used their clout to demand land for burials, more respect to be shown to their beliefs, a blind eye to be turned to the trafficking of Sikh women abroad, shaming locals to not allow for parts of Punjabi history to be told etc. Muslims have been found to be carrying large amounts of weapons in transports and stockpiling them in Jalandhar and Ludhiana.

Even the Americans have taken notice, here is a leaked cable found in the Wikileaks revelations:

US politician and Obama's first ambassador Timothy Roemer, a keen observer of demographic trends, rather dramatically describes the changes taking place in the Indian state of Punjab due to immigration from Eastern India and Bangladesh.

Based on his interaction with social and political leaders from the state, Roemer also noted that the Islamic religion -- swept out from Punjab during the Partition -- was also making a return with the migrants.

"Mosques in Punjab, once padlocked after the partition of Indian in 1947 and the ensuing mass exodus of Punjabi Muslims into Pakistan, are reopening and thriving," he said, quoting Pradeep Kashyap, the Vice-Chairman of the US-based American India Foundation.

"It will bear watching how the Punjabi population (and the state government) react if the Muslim call to prayer becomes more pervasive across the state in the years ahead," Roemer said in the February 2010 cable published by Wikileaks.

He was writing to Washington soon after violent clashes between 'locals' and 'outside laborers' in Punjab in December 2009.

Quoting others, Roemer pointed out that if it was the (mostly Dalit) workers from UP and Bihar who came in the first wave of immigration to agricultural Punjab, they are now being replaced by the even cheaper Bangla-speaking Muslims, presumably from Bangladesh.

For now, he points out, it is the economics, rather than religious prejudice, that seems to be winning, going by the acceptance of these laborers in a state that had the bloodiest history of Hindu-Muslim violence during the Partition of India.

"Punjab, on both sides of the border, experienced what we would call ethnic cleansing today. There were almost no Muslims left in Indian Punjab, today, that is no longer true. Partition based on religion seems irrelevant in the face of economics," Roemer quoted Kashyap.

Many Punjabi business owners are grateful for cheap labor, praising migrant laborers for becoming "the backbone of both industry and agriculture in Punjab" after each instance of violent clashes in Punjab, Roemer went on.

"According to the Chamber of Industrial and Commercial Undertakings, Ludhiana alone has 700,000 migrant workers. For Punjab as a whole, the numbers comfortably run in the millions. According to media reports, most of these laborers make between USD $80-$130 a month, and live in dingy rooms with eight to ten occupants to save money.

"Avtar Singh, general secretary of the Chamber of Industrial and Commercial Undertakings said that industry in the city is already facing a 25% labor shortage because migrants had left Punjab fearing increased violence. Industrial and agricultural organizations joined forces and urged greater security for migrant workers from state government officials," Roemer reported.

However, not everyone in Punjab is happy about the change as Roemer also found out.

"Herkawaljit Singh, of the Punjabi language Ajit Group, echoed the discomfort many Punjabis feel with the rise of Muslim and Dalit migrant communities. He told PolOff that the migrants were "culturally different" from Punjabis and did not integrate into mainstream Punjabi society," he pointed out.

Now Badal proposes a 'New Chandigarh' built in East Punjab to house all our muslim brothers. New Sirhind more like. Haryana are laughing their pants off as it allows them to claim Old Chandigarh all to themselves. As usual the older Sikh generation seem oblivious to being outmaneuvred and rush ahead to stitch up the younger generation.

As Badal proposes this, mixed death squads roam villages and try to kill anyone they can get their hands on.

http://youtu.be/7u5wJt6bBd4

So who knows, maybe Muji Mary will turn up in East Punjab one day. Better to get to understand them now. Lights on, get back to it.

Edited by HSD1

Many Punjabi business owners are grateful for cheap labor, praising migrant laborers for becoming "the backbone of both industry and agriculture in Punjab" after each instance of violent clashes in Punjab, Roemer went on.

Sounds curiously like what certain politicians have been saying about migrants over here when the right complained. Except its more true here as the NHS testifies (and increasingly the IT sector in London for that matter).

So Panjabis are expert at producing lazy children who don't want to get their hands dirty (unless on a building site here!), what the eff else is going to happen!??!

Strange I see identical parallels with E Panjab and England. lol

The is death squad crap is some new shite I can't even get my head around. Who the hell is behind this? And why??

Edited by dalsingh101

Sounds more like Denmark to be honest, were they actually did better after getting rid of the immigrants.

Biharis and Banglas are fairly different. It's more recent waves causing issues. Either way it's not like we invaded them, deposed their Royal Family, effed up their religion, deindustrialised their economy, brainwashed them into hating certain countries before winding them up and letting them loose on the battlefield, segregated them along religous lines, committed massacres, rapes and other police state style brutality before tearing them in half for no other reason than to get some airbases. With so many poor Sikhs in Africa and other parts of India not getting a look in, it's almost as if this was done deliberately. SIkhs here also pay a lot in taxes, we dont line the pockets of those who dont want to pay a living wage in the UK. When these 8-10 musis per room are wound up enough by the difference in living conditions and their notorious persecution complex, oh boy! will the rich w*nkers wish they had just paid for machines or reasonable wages. Mind you they'll probably just leg it and leave the poor to fend off the invasion.

It would be better if the banglas went abroad and the Punjabis stayed at home. But that will never happen. Badal's got the multicultural bug and is desperate to model East Punjab as some kind of retarded pindufied version of his idea of what the West is like.

Punjabi kids are filled with all kinds of bigotted crap. A lot of it is from their relatives over here, telling them how great it is and how wonderful it is when they actually live in a two up, two down in Southall. When I was over there I came across this bloke who was bragging about he was so rich he invested in a house in Luton. His uncle had said it was a good investment (or 200k down the drain if you ask me) but he was having problems getting anyone to rent it and wanted to know if I knew the area. Cos I came from England and have been to Luton once as a kid..... With that kind of stupidity combined with the idea that all Sikhs are chalak whilst those abroad are whiter than white, it's no wonder they would rather be porn stars or builders abroad. But you know as I do that has more to do with their mentality than real conditions there. They dont work like that in EP because they think that working for anyone else or working too hard is doing someone else a favour. Where as when they are abroad they think they are free and part of some big family so they sink to any low to look like productive members of society.

The new violence is the result of increasing awareness of the agenda of others. It is an attempt at intimidation and forcing Sikhs not to support anyone outside the mainstream or to hate the police as they are projecting themselves as rescuers after recent revelations about the 80s. It's an attempt by those who make money out of muslim immigration to cleanse the Punjab of all those who dont agree with them. Either way they are playing with fire. Even if they win, the muslims will just bide their time like they did in the 19th century. Then..... KABOOM!!! Oh well. Dont say I never warned ya.

Edited by HSD1

We've got grief coming to us everywhere.

Maybe we should just see it as another periodic purging. Survival of the fittest.

What does that stupid littel girl know about the people there or their history, culture, wants and needs?

Also, the large muslim immigration to East Punjab along with the possibility of refugees from Pakistan if the Taliban decide to create problems after 2014 will lead to a similar situation.

The little girl knows that islam is above cultures, languages and history. we saw that in the creation of pakistan and after.

i dont think many pakis would want to come to e panjab. or india for asylum either, that would be too shameful for them.

now this is the result of the crazy desperado migration in legal or illegal way to far of countries like Greece and Georgia to work as laborers , when we don't like out fields someone else will like them and want them.

Exactly, just like here in England.Where hordes of migrants do the jobs the indigenous are either unwilling or incapable of doing and then turn around and start crying about immigration.

Truth is that Sikhs could be doing the jobs that are being given to migrants but consider themselves above it.

now this is the result of the crazy desperado migration in legal or illegal way to far of countries like Greece and Georgia to work as laborers , when we don't like out fields someone else will like them and want them.

The problem is that no one wants to farm but they still want the farm land as some kind of insurance. If we have a frank discussion about agriculture and it's role and offer some kind of ideas, there will be no way forward. The fact that so many NRIs and recent emigrants cling onto land while people there dont have a field to crap in shows how hollow our ideas of equality are. The fact that the population of East Punjab has increased six times over since 1947 whilst EP has stayed the same should have set alarm bells ringing. Unfortunately people dont think about that, they just want more land to be magicked out of thin air. It's about time farming was left to those who want to farm rather than those who are in politics or abroad or who want to act like their ancestors did. So who's got some ideas then?

The little girl knows that islam is above cultures, languages and history. we saw that in the creation of pakistan and after.

i dont think many pakis would want to come to e panjab. or india for asylum either, that would be too shameful for them.

Well it wasnt a few centuries ago when our Guru Nanak walked amongst the ancestors of the average Middle Easterner in their bustling advanced cities.

If you know pakis, they dont shame unless their noses are rubbed in it. Plenty of them in the UK who dont like the Brits. I've come across Brits who've travelled abroad for work and hated the people they lived with but kept stumm so they could earn enough to eventually return here rich. The real world isnt quite as logical as some Sikhs like to think it is. Think of it another way, did the sulleh think it shameful to side with the Brits in ASW2 or to kill their neighbours during Partition?

Exactly, just like here in England.Where hordes of migrants do the jobs the indigenous are either unwilling or incapable of doing and then turn around and start crying about immigration.

Truth is that Sikhs could be doing the jobs that are being given to migrants but consider themselves above it.

The thing is that the Poles are a class apart from the English. When you get served by a Polish (or most other E.Euro) person in a shop they might speak with an accent but you can understand them and are incredibly polite. They know enough maths or decency to not attempt to shortchange you and give an overall pleasant experience. English kids are borderline feral. I cant understand some of them and they always try to forget things or need you to speak slowly so they can understand you. Business leaders even alude to this when asked about it. The Poles get paid the same as the English. They just do a better job. These immigrants in EP get paid much less and as it's not their home dont care how they foul up the place. Mind you, with the retarded mentality of our lot, they treat EP like crap too whilst staring doe eyed at whiter countries. I say we kick out the coconuts and let the place be modelled on how Maharaja Ranjit Singh's kingdom would have developed rather than let it turn into a fundo shithole or Badal's disneyfied multiculti vision of the West. If you want to live muslims, move to a muslim country. Being a minority in other parts of the world hasnt exactly done Sikhs any favours.

Look Dal, I know racism in the UK has been shitty. I know that you have come across some really retarded Jatts with their tongues so far up cold Angrezi arse that they think they are licking chocolate ice cream. But you cant really compare what's going on in the UK to back home.

In the UK all we hear about is how great this country is. You dont see English people fleeing abroad to act as brickies or prossies in Singapore/Dubai/New York/Shanghai. Britain is a dominant power and it's immigrant policy is well thought out, even you know that it is about projecting Britain's image. The English lower classes just dont want to work. Anywhere. The SIkh emigrants want to work, just not in East Punjab. They are taught to be chalak and selfish, but when they go abroad they give it there all to do the most criminal or basic tasks. We are a colonised people unlike the English.

If you want an analogy, it's like the Native Americans and the colonists. The Natives are too busy living off past glories or defunct social ideas that are limitting their perception of the new threat. Our chiefs are too busy hiding the hatchets or guzzling fire water or selling out for anything that they think makes them like the people who are colonising them. Look at the Americans today, they always go on about how their ancestors fought for the land, worked hard, didnt rape squaws but that Native women were easy, that they deserve the land as the locals werent using it. Muslims and other immigrants will say the same after they have finished in East Punjab. It's time to break out of the reservation and teach the scumbags, internal and external, a lesson.

What about realism Harj?

What we can even attempt to achieve can only be small and grassroots at this time.

Like I said to you before, sure, some of you may have live links back home, but I tell you, a lot of the diaspora don't. Many who do, don't want to touch it as a poison chalice.

As for the idea of ethnic cleansing in E. Panjab (again). We're still reeling from the 'knock' of 1984. No one wants that. I said to you before economic considerations trumps all else and whilst migrants allow farmers and factory workers to prosper they will be welcomed. These sick 'death squad' dogs might be something that actually unites pendus - for a change.

Our best best is cross alliances with Canadian, Malaysian, Singaporean, US diasporic communities. If we really want to survive I think the focus needs to be on the 'glue' that will bind us as a global community and sorry 'Jat and Juliet' type movies or uncreative pendu navel gazing as literature doesn't cut it. That is what creates a sense of community these days more than anything else. We need to put a lot of focus on that.

Edited by dalsingh101