Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I want to ask, I have listened that, listening bani is same as reading bani, but when listening my mind get uncontrollable, my body is listening and repeating the bani, but my mind is some where else. Like when I work, in the studio i have bani in background, and my ears are listening, my mouth is repeating bani, but my mind is completely disconnected, and doing work.

In these way, am I getting the phal of doing bani or not?

Thanks

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Edited by beginner

I want to ask, I have listened that, listening bani is same as reading bani, but when listening my mind get uncontrollable, my body is listening and repeating the bani, but my mind is some where else. Like when I work, in the studio i have bani in background, and my ears are listening, my mouth is repeating bani, but my mind is completely disconnected, and doing work.

In these way, am I getting the phal of doing bani or not?

Thanks

The phal of listening to Gurbani, katha, keertan simran etc is to feel vairaag.

Kabeer pareah suneh kya hoe ja sehaj na milioh soe

I don't really get the full bliss of listening to kirtan in the background. It's ok but that is probably what I would call the little extra dose !

Anyway, I actually prefer to get the full experience of all music in a real good sound system or a 7.1/ 5.1 set up in your living room.

This way, I like to experience not just the vocals or gurbani, but the feel and experience of every single instrument being played that you can hear coming from all different directions. --NOTE...it' like trying to get the live experience itself but enhancing it even further !

It's difficult to describe it exactly but the experience of live kirtan is probably the ultimate feel for me.

I get to feel the raagi's vocals on my forehead and they penetrate deeper, the tabla beats vibrating all my bones and especially sending little hammers hammering down the spine, the harmonium surs giving the tickling hair sensations on the back of my neck as if the hairs are swaying and then the chainey hitting deep into the back of the neck, somewhere behind the mouth. Then the feeling in your heart of what the shabad is saying gets so deep that I can't even imagine to explain.......(especially if I understand it but I usually have to think or learn it first as my Punjabi is not brilliant being a 3rd generation Brit)

All together it feels Electrifying and makes you feel pure, devoted and completely weightless.

You physically get lost and absorbed in the whole musical experience losing all the perceptions of time, tension and any physical pains one may have (I have a lot of pains and stiffness due to my serious injury and they all diminish completely!)

It's quite hard to really explain but it is pure anand and I'm sure it was the manner that Guru Nanak ji wanted you to feel his gurbani in raag. I believe would be very deeply absorbed in the musical aspects of gurbani and would express it in that manner.

I know that not everyone is that musical or can feel it this way, but the only way I can put it is to ''throw yourself into it instead of just listening through your ears'' if you know what I mean ??

It's probably why I don't really like to watch or listen to music on you tube or similar.

Edited by Lucky

It's also important to actually recite gurbani or even sing along with the kirtan.

Below is some info taken from a Yogi Bhajan lecture that talks about the sound,naad and meridian points in the body.

The Science of Naad and Gurbani

Naad means "the essence of all sounds." All languages contain sounds which relate to one or more of the

five elements of air, fire, water, earth and ether. Gurbani is a perfect combination and permutation of

sounds relating to all the five elements in complete balance. When Guru Arjan Dev, the fifth Guru Nanak,

compiled Siri Guru Granth Sahib in 1604, he only put in those banis which were in naad. These

compositions were called Gurbani.

When we break up the words, "Siri Guru Granth Sahib," into their naad, the syllables of each word tell the

essence of the meaning of Siri Guru Granth Sahib. Every word has a naad, and every naad has a

combination.

How Naad Works In Recitation of Gurbani

There are eighty-four meridian points on the upper palate of a human's mouth. One can feel that upper

palate with the tongue and experience its different surfaces. There are two rows of meridian points on the

upper palate and on the gum behind the upper teeth. The tongue stimulates those meridian points, and

they in turn stimulate the hypothalamus which makes the pineal gland radiate. When the pineal gland

radiates, it creates an impulse in the pituitary gland. When the pituitary gland gives impulses, the entire

glandular system secretes and a human being obtains bliss. This is the science.

Gurbani is the combination of the tongue with the meridian points. When you read and recite Gurbani, it

stimulates your hypothalamus. It is totally different than any scriptures because Gurbani is made in a

scientific way. One who knows the naad, knows the aad, which is the primal creativity. One who knows

the aad is Parameshwar, the supreme God.

The whole language of Gurbani has the power to make a person divine, just in its recitation, if done

correctly. One need not be concerned with the meaning to experience a change in consciousness. Bani has

to be understood by the heart, not by the head. There is no power in the head; it is in the heart. The lead

is for God and the heart is for you. That is why Guru Gobind Singh asked for the head, and not for the

heart. "Whosoever lives with head to God and heart for self, that prayer is complete." (Siri Singh Sahib

Yogi Bhajan)

We know that some people will just parrot paaths and gurbani without understanding anything and they will always feel something just from the recitation alone. I am not promoting this, but we can understand why they feel that way and how the correct pronouncing of the naad can invoke these feelings.

Edited by Lucky

I have experienced this so yes , 100% agree . How much of Jaap Sahib do i understand word to word ..less than half or maybe lesser. However while reciting , i start at normal decibel and then it rises ..i feel the gush ..it makes me feel fearless ..

We know that some people will just parrot paaths and gurbani without understanding anything and they will always feel something just from the recitation alone. I am not promoting this, but we can understand why they feel that way and how the correct pronouncing of the naad can invoke these feelings.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, all your replies are awesome, and really in depth explained, you have told me everything I need.

I am thankfull to PAL 07: "Thanks for giving me the answer of the question"

and I am really thankfull Lucky: "Thanks for explaining me the pleasure of listening kirtan and reading gurbani. Your replies are really awesome because you have explained in depth, and I have got it, well done. I don't have any question any more on this topic, thanks"

Also thankfull to jaikaara: "Thanks, your words, has explained me that what I am doing is not what I should do. Only reading, without knowing what I am saying is not the correct way, I will listen the katha of nitnem banis".

Thanks guys,

Take care,