Timeless Wisdom

harsharan000

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."

- Buddha

"In separateness lies the world's great misery, in compassion lies the world's true strength."

- Buddha

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

- Pablo Picasso

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

- Epictetus

"Let go of your attachment to being right, and suddenly your mind is more open. You're able to benefit from the unique viewpoints of others, without being crippled by your own judgement."

- Ralph Marsto

Don't focus on making the right decision, focus on making the decision the right one."

- Unknown

"Most of the shadows of life are caused by standing in our own sunshine."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."

- Marcel Proust

"It is very easy to forgive others their mistakes; it takes more grit to forgive them for having witnessed your own."

- Jessamyn West

"Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification."

- Martin Fischer

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."

- Carl Jung

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

- André Gide

"Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness."

- Sophocles

"Something opens our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us: We taste only sacredness."

- Rumi

"If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand."

- Unknown

"To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly."

- Henri Bergson

"Bodily exercise, when compulsory, does no harm to the body; but knowledge which is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind."

- Plato

A SMALL TRIBUTE TO A  MOTHER

This is a truly BEAUTIFUL piece please read this at a slow pace, digesting every word at leisure...do not hurry....this is a treasure...

For those lucky to still be blessed with your Mom, this is beautiful

For those of us who aren't, this is even more beautiful. For those who are moms, you'll love this.

The young Mother set her foot on the path of life. "Is this the long way?" she asked. 

And the Guide said:  "Yes, and the way is hard. And you will be old before you reach the end of it.

But the end will be better than the beginning." But the young Mother was happy, and she would not believe that anything could be better than these years. 

So she played with her children, and gathered flowers for them along the way, and bathed them in the clear streams; and the sun shone on them, and the young Mother cried,

"Nothing will ever be lovelier than this." 

Then the night came, and the storm, and the path was dark, and the children shook with fear and cold, and the mother drew them close and covered them with her mantle, and the children said, 

"Mother, we are not afraid, for you are near, and nothing can harm us."

And the morning came, and there was a hill ahead, and the children climbed and grew weary, and the mother was weary. 

But at all times she said to the children," A little patience and we are there." So the children climbed, and when they reached the top they said,

"Mother, we would not have made it without you." 

And the Mother, when she lay down at night looked up at the stars and said,"This is a better day than the last, for my children have learned fortitude in the face of hardness. 

Yesterday I gave them courage. Today, I've given them strength." 

And the next day came strange clouds, which darkened the earth, clouds of war and hate and evil, and the children groped and stumbled, and the mother said: "Look up. Lift your eyes to the light."

And the children looked and saw above the clouds an everlasting glory, and it guided them beyond the darkness. And that night the Mother said,

"This is the best day of all, for I have shown my children God."

And the days went on, and the weeks and the months and the years, and the mother grew old and she was little and bent. 

But her children were tall and strong, and walked with courage. And when the way was rough, they lifted her, for she was as light as a feather; and at last they came to a hill, and beyond they could see a shining road and golden gates flung wide. 

And Mother said,"I have reached the end of my journey.

And now I know the end is better than the beginning, for my children can walk alone, and their children after them."

And the children said, 

"You will always walk with us, Mother, even when you have gone through the gates." 

And they stood and watched her as she went on alone, and the gates closed after her.  And they said: 

"We cannot see her but she is with us still.

A Mother like ours is more than a memory.  She is a living presence......" Your Mother is always with you.... 

She's the whisper of the leaves as you walk down the street; she's the smell of bleach in your freshly laundered socks; she's the cool hand on your brow when you're not well. 

Your Mother lives inside your laughter. And she's crystallised in every teardrop.

She's the place you came from, your first home; and she's the map you follow with every step you take. 

She's your first love and your first heartbreak, and nothing on earth can separate you.Not time, not space... not even death!

• 3 weeks later...

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Gourree Mehalaa 5 ||

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ਜੀਅਰੇ ਓਲ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਨਾਮ ਕਾ ॥

Jeearae Oulhaa Naam Kaa ||

Hey, soul: your only Support is the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

ਅਵਰੁ ਜਿ ਕਰਨ ਕਰਾਵਨੋ ਤਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਭਉ ਹੈ ਜਾਮ ਕਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Avar J Karan Karaavano Thin Mehi Bho Hai Jaam Kaa ||1|| Rehaao ||

Whatever else you do or make happen, the fear of death still hangs over you. ||1||Pause|

ਅਵਰ ਜਤਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਪਾਈਐ ॥

Avar Jathan Nehee Paaeeai ||

He is not obtained by any other efforts.

ਵਡੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਈਐ ॥੧॥

Vaddai Bhaag Har Dhhiaaeeai ||1||

By great good fortune, meditate on the Lord. ||1||

ਲਾਖ ਹਿਕਮਤੀ ਜਾਨੀਐ ॥

Laakh Hikamathee Jaaneeai ||

You may know hundreds of thousands of clever tricks,

ਆਗੈ ਤਿਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਨੀਐ ॥੨॥

Aagai Thil Nehee Maaneeai ||2||

But not even one will be of any use at all hereafter. ||2||

ਅਹੰਬੁਧਿ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਨੇ ॥

Ahanbudhh Karam Kamaavanae ||

Good deeds done in the pride of ego are swept away,

ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਬਾਲੂ ਨੀਰਿ ਬਹਾਵਨੇ ॥੩॥

Grih Baaloo Neer Behaavanae ||3||

Like the house of sand by water. ||3||

ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੈ ॥

Prabh Kirapaal Kirapaa Karai ||

When God the Merciful shows His Mercy,

ਨਾਮੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲੈ ॥੪॥੪॥੧੪੨॥

Naam Naanak Saadhhoo Sang Milai ||4||4||142||

Nanak receives the Naam in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||4||4||142||

We all look to be better human beings and return in our origiin Waheguru. In this beautiful Shabad of Fifth Patshahee, the secret of that our desire to merge in Him truly is described in simple words with full clarity.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.

• 4 months later...

THE PREGNANT DEER - such a beautiful story ! 

In a forest, a pregnant deer is about to give birth. 
She finds a remote grass field near a strong-flowing river. 
This seems a safe place. 
Suddenly labour pains begin.

At the same moment, dark clouds gather around above & lightning starts a forest fire. 
She looks to her left & sees a hunter with his bow extended pointing at her. 
To her right, she spots a hungry lion approaching her.

What can the pregnant deer do? 
She is in labour! 

What will happen? 
Will the deer survive? 
Will she give birth to a fawn? 
Will the fawn survive? 
Or will everything be burnt by the forest fire? 
Will she perish to the hunters' arrow? 
Will she die a horrible death at the hands of the hungry lion approaching her? 

She is constrained by the fire on the one side & the flowing river on the other & boxed in by her natural predators.

What does she do? 
She focuses on giving birth to a new life.

The sequence of events that follows are:

- Lightning strikes & blinds the hunter.
- He releases the arrow which zips past the deer & strikes the hungry lion.
- It starts to rain heavily, & the forest fire is slowly doused by the rain.
- The deer gives birth to a healthy fawn.

In our life too, there are moments of choice when we are confronted on αll sides with negative thoughts and possibilities. 

Some thoughts are so powerful that they overcome us & overwhelm us. 

Maybe we can learn from the deer. 
The priority of the deer, in that given moment, was simply to give birth to a baby.

The rest was not in her hands &  any action or reaction that changed her focus would have likely resulted in death or disaster.

Ask yourself,
Where is your focus?
Where is your faith and hope? 

In the midst of any storm, do keep it on God always. 
He will never ever dissapoint you. NEVER. 

Remember, GOD neither slumbers nor sleeps..

ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਸਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵਹਿ ਤਾ ਸੁਖ ਲਹਹਿ ਮਹਲੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Nij Ghar Vasehi Anmrith    Peevehi   Thaa Sukh Lehehi Mehal ||1|| Rehaao ||

Within the home of your own inner being is the Ambrosial Nectar;  drink it,  and you shall attain the Peace in  His  Mansion 

• 3 weeks later...

Just as  one can not  stop the waves, but one can learn to surf.

In a similar way, one can not stop the reactions of the karmas, but through His bhakti, one can go above them, without losing balance.

Such is His apaar kirpa, His Daya Meher.

SSA.

4 hours ago, harsharan000 said:

Just as  one can not  stop the waves, but one can learn to surf.

In a similar way, one can not stop the reactions of the karmas, but through His bhakti, one can go above them, without losing balance.

Such is His apaar kirpa, His Daya Meher.

SSA.

Yes veer ji you are 100% right as this is the best message i have read today. 

Its always best to increase simran nitnem banis as you have mentioned veer ji.

Found a series of  beautiful and  lovely  articles on the net by a gursikh named Mokam Singh, and thought of sharing them  with the sangat here, in order to derive benefits from the Sat bachans of  6th Patshahee Sree Guru  Hargobind Singh Maharaj: 

Jattu Tappa Updesh Sri HargobindJi Maharajh Patshai 6th.
Raas 5th , Adaiy 45th.

Jattu Tappa.

In Jonpur lived a mahan (great) tappa (physical endurance etc.). He came to do the darshan of Sri Guru Hargobind Ji. (1)

He did bandana (paying respect) with clasped hands and made a benti (request) whilst sitting down.

“Have heard your bhari sarasht juss (mighty praise) , lakhs (hundreds of thousands) of manukh (mamnkind) have adopted bhadi matt (sins/anti social behaviour etc.)” (2)

“Hey kirpa nidhan (treasure trove of blessings) ! I have come to your sharan please give me updesh (teaching/guidance) so that I can reach kalyan (liberation)”.

Upon hearing this Guru Ji said “do shantki tap”. (3)

“Utter Waheguru’s naam on a daily basis , by stopping your indraeh (thought process) absorb naam in your mann (mind).” Afterwards the tappa asked “some of sarasht matt (of great wisdom) say.” (4)

“That it is not possible to attain gatti (liberation) without gyan (knowledge) , the ved’s give parman (instruction) on this.” Upon hearing this Guru Ji said “understand that if your desire is for gatti (liberation).” (5)

“Those who engage in Naam Japp in their minds day and night , they achieve the four davaray (enterance). Through which mukhti (living liberation) can be entered and as such Waheguru can be met.” (6)

“Just as there are 4 entrances to Sri Harmander Sahib , whichever entrance one steps through , for them that is uttam (highly). Jog , virag , bhagti , and gyan are achieved in hand through Naam Simran.” (7)

“Focus the attention in a sundar (good/beautiful etc.) manner , do simran of Satnaam with prem (love). Then the phall (divine gift/fruition) of jog is achieved. With simran the mann (mind) becomes stable.” (8)

“Then vairag (detachment) from Vishay (sinful thoughts/actions) takes place which is the mool (foundation) of bhagti (devotion) , then manukh (mankind) becomes accustomed to simran. By engaging in this maha prem (great love) develops with Prabhu (Waheguru Ji). Day and night Ik (Waheguru ji) is absorbed in the mind.” (9)

“Whosoever is the recipient of Waheguru Ji’s kirpa (blessing) , they acquire livv (concentration). Then gyan is produced in the hirdah (heart). Only consider the atmah (soul) to be puran (complete) , recognise the true self (i.e. atmah within body) and extinguish bandan (attachments etc.).” (10)

“These are the four asray (pillars/supports) of Satnaam , which are achieved upon engaging in Simran. “That is why if you desire the four , then associate yourself with Naam.” (11)

“By attending the Dharamsal Satguru (satsangat/place of worship) a mighty phall (gift/fruition) is achieved by taking each step. Listen to the shabad by removing hankaar (ego) and making the mind humble , the Upashana (devotion) of Prabhu (Waheguru Ji) will be attained.” (12)

“Do ishnaan (washing) pishli raat (Amrit vela/early hours) , this shantki tap is saresht (above all) and mahan (great). With Satnaam Simran phall (fruition) is acquired. Focus on the belief meh tann nahi haih (I am not body).” (13)

“I was not born when my physical body was born , I will not die when the body physically dies. My roop (form) is Satt Chetan Anand , slowly but surely this sukhan da mool (foundation of all happiness) is achieved.” (14)

Navla and Nihala were Guru Ji’s Sikhs , whose abode was in Patna and they lived there. They always spoke the truth , made an honest living and always yearned for truthful company. (15)

Whichever Sikh would engage in bhajan (Waheguru Ji’s praises) with prem (love) , they would do their seva with utmost enthusiasm. They came to do the darshan (seeing) of Satguru Ji , they bowed their heads after placing bhet (offerings) according to their samratha (ability). (16)

After staying with Guru Ji for some days , one day they made a benti (humble request) whilst sitting near Guru Ji. “Guru Gareeb Nazaaz (bestows powers to the poor) , Mukhti Datay (bestows liberation)! please give us mahan (great) updesh (instruction/guidance).” (17)

“Which causes everything to be accomplished by doing , leaving nothing unachieved.” Guru Ji said persistently do the Upashana (devotion) of Satnaam.” (18)

At that point Nihala said “some with saresht matt (great minds) say that as long as there is dwaht (duality) in the heart of man then tripti (the coalition of Upas , Upashana , and Upashak) remains.” (19)

First there is Upas , secondly Upashna , and third Upashak. Just as Thiatha , theh , and thian. In the same way gyatha , gyan , and gey is. (20)

When Advaytah is achieved then these three are not seen. It becomes Parbrahm Saroop (Waheguru) , just as a drop of water becomes part of the ocean. (21)

When Namee , Naam , and Jaapak are not , then see your entire saroop (form). Upon hearing this Guru Ji said ,”Bhagti (devotion) is of four kinds.” (22)

“with many kamnavah (desires) in the mind , they engage in Satnaam Simran day and night and does the seva of Sants. Whichsoever bachan (instructions) they give , they agree to it.” (23)

“Their kamnavah (desires) become fulfilled , then a beautiful devotion for Prabhu (Waheguru) arises in the heart. Secondly there are those who become bhagats because they are Atar (antagonised) , when enemies cause abundant dukh (pains etc.).” (24)

“Some feel much pain as a result of a rog (illness/disease etc.) , they engage in Simran as a result. They become sukhi (happy) from enemies , the ailments disappear and become mighty strong.” (25)

“Their sharda (faith) has increased , they do perpetual simran because of this. Thirdly there are those who adopt Upashna on a daily basis , they do the Simran of Satnaam (who removes paaps/sins).” (26)

“The daas considers their Prabhu to be the karta (creator) , we are like istri (female) and Parmeshvar (Waheguru) is akin to the patti (husband). The antar indreh (mindset) becomes nirmal (pure) , then Brahm Gyan (divine knowledge) is attained.” (27)

“Fourth Gyani are vishal (broad) bhagat , they only see the one Parmeshvar in everyone and desire to see as well. Just as there is akash (sky light) in Ghada (clay pot) and kohta (high building) , in the same way Ik Brahm (Waheguru) gives parkash light in everyone.” (28)

“By understanding it in this way they engage in perpetual simran of Prabhu (Waheguru)

, then Uttam Atam-Gyan (highest divine knowledge) is absorbed in the heart. Climbing from the chauthi bhoomka (fourth stage etc.) then fifth and sixth , they then rest in the seventh.” (29)

“That is why you should do Satnaam Simran , and whilst remaining nishkam (without desires) do the seva of Sants. Lose the ego pride and keep the mind low (humble) , then this will give rise to your kalyan being acquired in a very simple method.” (30)

At that point upon hearing this outstanding updesh bhai Navla and Nihala became Gurmukhs (adhering to Guru Ji’s teachings). Soorbeer (warrior) Jaaht Jeht was a big Pehalvan (wrestler). His duty was gate keeper at Guru Ji’s entrance. (31)

Always remained stationed at the gate and none could enter without his permission. One day while Guru Ji were sitting sehaj subah (generally) he asked. (32)

“Some say that when gyan is attained , then what is the purpose of bhgati (devotion) ? When gyan gives rise to bibek (pleasure/knowledge etc.)” (33)

“Guru Ji imparted a shub marg (auspicious technique) , without bhagti gyan does not show shoba (elegance/grace). Just as there is a lot of strength in butter , if it is mixed in food then that becomes very svaadi (tasty).” (34)

“If someone suffering from kuff (phlegm etc.) is given butter then this will play havoc in their chest by causing congestion. Their mouth will feel bland day and night , a nasty cough will develop and there will be a loss of appetite.” (35)

“If the taseer (constitution) of the body is that of pitt (very heated) then that person will develop diarrhoea and many unpleasant ailments will be given rise to.” (36)

“If the butter is mixed with missri (crystalised sugar etc.) then the consumption of this will lead to pleasure. In the same way the characteristics of gyan is such that if it is taken individually i.e. meh brahm huh ( I am Brahm) then this is neither elegant or graceful.” (37)

“The person listening to this will become very angry , will go to narak (hell) , will not see swarg (paradise). If a hankari (egoistic) person adopts gyan in their heart then they will consider themselves very big.” (38)

“Neither will they do seva in Satsangat and neither will they show nimratha (being humble) towards anybody. This is on a par to the chesty congestion in the previous scenario , they will go to narak (hell) in a terrifying manner.” (39)

“If a vishey (lustful) person listens to just gyan then he will engage in the bhog of pariee istri (adultery) etc. and also develop other anti-social habits. This is on a par to the diarrhoea scenario , and will endure the torture of narak (hell).” (40)

“That is why Brahm-Gyan (divine knowledge) should be taken in conjunction with bhagti (devotion) , this is the kalyan of everyone.

Meh pabhu da daas huh (I am the servant of Waheguru Ji) will sound beautifully elegant and graceful from their mouth.

In that way Ahangbrahm (Pramatmah) i.e. Waheguru ji’s Gyan will take parkash (enlightenment) in the heart.” (41)

“That is why everybody needs to do Naam Simran , with prem (love) adopt the Sukha da Dharam (Waheguru Simran). 

That is why kushk (arid/dry) gyan is not good.

If Naam Simran is done along with it then the jeev (human beings) will achieve that state of kalyan (life liberation)”. (42)

Bhanu Bel Updesh SriGuruHargobind Sahib Ji 6th Patshahi.
Bhanu Behl.

Raas 5th, Adaiy 46th.

In Rajmahalpur lived a Sikh named Bhanoo Behl , he adopted Sikhi with great love and would engage in his duties according to Guru Ji’s matt (instructions). (1)

He meditated upon Satnam Waheguru; he shared his food before eating it himself. He came to Sri Hargobind Ji and upon placing offerings he bowed his head. (2)

He asked the ocean of knowledge (Guru Ji) “Shaastars contain many teachings, some praise Tapp (endurance) and Tirith (holy sites) and some say engage in Vart Nem.” (3)

“Some do Jugg Horm , some say make donations but in the house of Satguru the greatness is only achieved through the simran of Satnam.” (4)

“What is the difference between them? explain this. In what way is the Mehmah (greatness) of Satnam more?”. Upon hearing this Guru Ji imparted a mahan jugti (great technique). (5)

“Consider Satnam to be the mathematical number one, all other actions are on a par to zero. Write number one first, then by following it with a zero its value has increased by tenfold”. (6)

“If the number one is not placed before the zeros then just zeros by themselves are valueless. These zeros hold no value in counting etc. Since it remains nothing.” (7)

“In this way without Satnam everything is veyarth (waste). There are some Punn Karam (good deeds) whose phall (reaction) is from beginning to end, i.e. diminishes. If one is not followed by zero then it cannot become tenfold but will remain one in itself it will not diminish.” (8)

“All other Dharam (faiths) are of the previous yugs (eras) , they can only be accomplished if man is very strong and has plentiful wealth. I Kalyug only Satnam is prominent , from this sukhah da ghar (happiness/liberation) can be attained.” (9)

“Freedom cannot be attained without Naam , with committing other karam hankaar (ego) is given rise to. With Hari Simran (Waheguru meditation) the mann (mind) becomes snimar (humble) , the end time is filled with sukh (pleasure).” (10)

“This is the difference , recognise this in the mind , this is without hankaar (ego).” Bhanoo Behl filled with happiness upon hearing this. He accepted Guru Ji’s words and took them to heart. (11)

Badli Sodhi and Seht Gopal always stayed with Guru Ji. They perpetually worked hard. Once they asked Guru Ji a question. (12)

“Give us updesh (Divine knowledge) which will give us Param Kalyan (highest liberation).” Guru Ji replied “You will remain very sukhi (happy) if you adopt humbleness towards everyone.” (13)

“Just as we see the water in a Fuharah (fountain) , the lower it goes the higher it rises. The dust of the feet is at the lowest point i.e. bottom of the feet, and because of this it blows onto everyone’s heads.” (14)

“The little finger on the hand is the one adorned with a beautiful ring. The smallest of all trees is the Chandan tree, it’s fragrance is taken by all the tress nearby.” (15)

“The higher the Padhvi (status) one requires , the more humble they should keep their mind. Vishnu is considered the greatest because he is more humble than everybody else.” (16)

“When Prighu Rishi kicked Vishnu in order to wake him , Vishnu started gently massaging Prighu Rishi’s feeet with utmost humility and considered himself blessed for being touched by a Brahmin (holy person). In the yagg (food service) of the Pandhavs he washed the feet of the Rishi’s. The other actions of Vishnu Bhagwan are all carried out with utmost humility. He does not adopt hankaar (ego).” (17)

“As a result of receiving high Padhvi (status) , he is of humble mind , there is no hankaar (ego) whatsoever. Always desires defeat from Gursikhs , does not ever want to defeat them.” (18)

“The victor ultimately loses , the defeated is the victor. They become magical.” (19)

“Whosoever thinks that “I have climbed high” he will have to come down. The one’s who desires to be low will suddenly reach height.” (20)

“The victor is the defeated and the defeated is the victor , in the way there is a reciprocal practice in Sikhs. Always remain humble in Satsangat, utter sweet words when meeting Sikhs.” (21)

Hearing the divine words from Satguru, he humbly attained Param Padhvi (high status). There was a handsome Gursikh named Chadda who’s house was in Agra. (22)

Sikhs would gather in the dharamsala (place of worship) , do Kirtan and Naam Simran. Wherever he saw Bhajan (Waheguru’s praises) being performed, he would do abundant seva there. (23)

He would come to Sri Guru Hargobind Ji and did seva with great love. One day whilst sitting by Guru Ji , with clasped hands he humbly requested. (24)

“Heh Satguru Ji by which method do you save Sikhs? By imparting gunn (good habits) and eradicating Augunn (vices etc.)?”

Upon hearing this Guru Ji said “Satguru char parkaar de hunday hunn (there are four types of Satguru).” (25)

“Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji is the foremost amongst the four , whose naam being just heard causes the Jamm (grim reaper) to let go. One Guru is akin to Titli (butterfly like) , it takes any category of Keedah (insect)”. (26)

"Upon keeping them safe in its house for a long time , the keedah (insect) too becomes a titli. It transforms any variety of keedah into its own form , but it can be seen that not all keedah become titli it only selects one kind to transform into a titli." (27)

"One Guru is like Paras (touchstone), if any one type of metal comes into contact with it then it will turn it into gold but cannot make the metal into Paras (touchstone) itself. It will not impart its power to anyone/anything etc." (28)

"One Guru is like Bavan Chandan (fragranced tree), during a particular season it will fragrant all the trees that are nearby it. This can only be done during a particular season and not all the time." (29)

"One Satgur is on a par with a diva (candle like device), if another diva comes into contact with it then it can light that up too provided that the diva comes to it with tel (oil) and batti (wick)." (30)

"Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji is Param Kirpaloo (supreme blessings), if anyone becomes a Sikh with Sharda (faith), reads and listens to Satguru Ji's Bani then he/she will slowly become a Brahm Gyani (having divine knowledge)." (31)

"Their Atmah becomes Anand May (blissful), if they wish they too can make others like them. There is no technique required other than meeting with Satsangat (holy congregation)." (32)

"From this Kalyan (liberation) is attained, the bandan (shackles) of births and deaths become naash (destryoyed)." Handsome Chaddha became an eager devotee of Satsangat after hearing this beautiful Updesh (teachings). (33)

A Sikh named Mohan lived in Decca who desired the attributes of Gursikhi in his heart. He came from far to do the Darshan (seeing) of Guru Ji. He gave bheta ( offerings) to Guru Ji according to his samratha (ability). (34)

Upon placing his head at Guru Ji's feet he felt a great sense of Anand (bliss). He stayed with Guru Ji with great love. One day whilst sitting near Sachay Patshah (true king i.e. Guru Ji) he made a benti (huble request). (35)

"Birth and death is a big kasht (pain), hey Kirpaloo (compassionate) Guru Ji, please eradicate this kasht." Guru Ji then replied , "you have not recognised yourself, without recognising oneself this mahan (tremendous) kasht (pain) does not finish." (36)

"Tell us this which roop (form) do you consider yourself?, in which your chit (mind) remains rangya (coloured)?" Upon hearing this Bhai Mohan said "we have seen tann roop (physical human body), hey Sachay Patshah (true king) we are your Sikhs." (37)

Upon hearing this Guru Ji said " know this that all sareer (bodies) are made of panj tatt (five elements). Panj tatt were present before taking birth, when the sareer becomes nasht (finished) the panj tatt will still remain." (38)

"That is why the tann (physical bodies) of Guru and Sikh are saman (equal). Parmatmah (Waheguru Ji) in any way is not less in either. Bhaav (in other words) just as the bodies of Guru and Sikh are made of the five elements, in the same way Viapak Parmatmah (all present Waheguru Ji) in both is brabar (equal). Parmatmah is neither born nor dies, remains Ik saman (constant) in Sakhi roop (always present)." (39)

"The bhed (difference) of the mann (mind) between Guru and Sikh is very big. The mind of Guru Ji is Ujjal (brilliant white etc.), the mind of the Sikh is Kala (black/stained etc.) One is shudh (pure), the other is ashudh (adulterated). When the Sikh comes the sharan (sanctuary) and engages in Pooja (Waheguru Ji's devotion)." (40)

"Walks the path of Gurbani by listening to it, takes into the heart with sthiratah (stability). Gradually remove the mahal (filth/dirt etc.) from the mind, make it ujjal (brilliant white/clean etc.) and free from dirt etc." (41)

"Then the Sikh should recognise their roop (form), distance all the sareer hankaar (body/self/ego etc.)The laksh (property) of the Jeev (being) and Ishvar (Waheguru Ji) is the same Sat Chitt Anand (eternal bliss)." (42)

"The bani (words) of both is separate , the bani of the jeev (beings) is very little. The bani of Ishvar (Waheguru Ji) is sarab viapak (everywhere) , whosoever knows this well is gyanvaan (with knowledge)." (43)

"One jall (water) is ujjal (clean) one together with tal (pool etc.) is dirty. Look at the pratibimb (reflection) of the suraj (sun) in both. In the dirty water it looks dirty. Where the water is clean and ujjal (clear) then the sun there will look ujjal (clear) and clean too." (44)

"Shudh (pure) Satogun is in maya, the aks (reflection) of Brahm (Waheguru Ji) that falls on shudh (pure) maya is Ishvar (Waheguru Ji). The Aks (reflection) of Brahm on maleen (filth) maya , or avidya tamogun in other words , is the Jeev (being)." (45)

"Six attributes can be seen in Ishvar, that is why they are called Bhagwan. Listen to this in deatail." (46)

"Jass, Aishvarj , Viragh , Udartah , Lashmi , and Gyan. The six vikar and jeona (living) , marnah (dying) are the varn of the sareer (body)." (47)

"Bhuk (hunger) and Pyas (thirst) are both between the pran (life force). Kushi (happiness) and Gammi (unhappiness) are between the mann (mind). There is Nirlaep (unblemished) Brahm Saakhi (Waheguru Ji) there, and if recognised one becomes mukt (liberated)." (48)

"Upon hearing this the Sikhs then asked "you have just eulogised Satnaam". Then Satguru Ji replied "try to understand in your minds, just as there is a strong currant in the river." (49)

"Some try to cross it with the strength of their arms, but these are few, think about it. By boarding the baedi (boat) everyone can cross it easily." (50)

"In the same way Satnaam is a mighty Jahaz (ship) , by engaging in Naam Japp all the desires of the mind are fulfilled. In the end Naam becomes a huge sahyik (support). It destroys all the Kasht (troubles) forever." (51)

"There is nothing comparable to this in Kalyug (this era). Do simran on a daily basis. If a person engages in Namm Japp daily then they are Dhan (very great). Prabhu (Waheguru Ji ) also becomes Prasan (pleased) when the livv (concentration) is entered into." (52)

"Whether it be Gristhy (married etc.) or Sanyasi (hermit) wihout Naam Japp then a noose is placed around the neck. Whether it be ucha (high) neeva (low) , rich or poor if Naam simran is accomplished Sehaj Subah (gradually)." (53)

"Then no one is parallel to them , even if a Brahmin engages in countless mahan (of great magnitude) tapp and vart (rituals). That is why perpetually absorb Naam in the Hidah (heart) , he/she crosses to salvation and causes the salvation of Pittar (elders)." (54)

All Sikhs became blissful upon hearing this, they absorbed Satnaam in their hearts. By engaging in simran , millions of Sikhs became liberated. Who can speak of their untt (end)?" (55)

Satguru Ji attached Sikhs to Gurmat , for the love of Sikhi they preached Gurmat."I have spoken of some of the Sikhs in the form of Katha , and the central attributes shown." (56)

That Sikh is of vadhey bhaag (blessed) whosoever has adopted Gurmat , has crossed into salvation for self and their sanghi's (who met with them) had their sorrows eradicated and they too attained salvation. (57)

• 2 weeks later...

Some quotes from Rumi

Patience is the key to joy.

Sit, be still, and listen.

Silence gives answers.

If light is in your heart, you will find your way home.

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.

Dance until you shatter yourself.

Be empty of worrying. Think of who created thought.

As you start to walk on the way, the way appears.

Become the sky. Take an axe to the prison wall. Escape.

Let yourself become living poetry.

Be soulful. Be kind. Be in love.

Be an empty page, untouched by words.

That True Lord is always with you . . .

He Himself shall forgive you, and merge you into Himself; forever cherish and contemplate God. 

Ang 755

One whose heart is filled with His Infinite Light meets with Him, and shall never again be separated from Him.

Ang 56

Compassion for all the creatures is the essence of acts of pilgrimage of sixty eight holy places and charity.

Ang 136

Note: This quote reflects the authenticity of sikhee, which is a simple and an universal path for all mankind.