The Ringing Sound (Anhad Shabad; Sound Current)

2 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

With meditation, it is all about fixating your attention on one point. So if you are doing a chakra meditation, then you pick a chakra, any chakra, and you fixate your attention on that. Your attention may wander, just reel it back in everytime.

It doesn't have to be a chakra though, you could do the same with another technique. Picking 1 sensory stimulus in that technique, like the sound of Ram naam in naam simran, and fixating your attention on that.

I don’t do chakra meditation. But when I do simran I put my attention between eyebrows because that’s what I find the most easiest way to focus or maybe it’s because now  I’m so use to concentrate on third eye... if I try to focus on heart chakra or anywhere else it wanders easily thn have to bring it back there. But so many people say one shouldn’t focus on third eye. 

I'm starting to realize how important sangat is. I'm trying to go at least once a week. I came home last night and heard sounds while asleep again. It feels so good everytime it happens. Experiences like these really push you towards working towards the next milestone. I'm hoping it stabilizes and becomes a daily occurrence. 

Guest Soul Searcher.

When doing this type of meditation (focusing on inner sounds) the inside of my ears seem to become strained even though the sounds are heard throughout my head.  This naturally occurs - I don’t focus at the ears.  Please can someone help in alleviating this strain - or is it meant to be?

13 hours ago, Guest Soul Searcher. said:

When doing this type of meditation (focusing on inner sounds) the inside of my ears seem to become strained even though the sounds are heard throughout my head.  This naturally occurs - I don’t focus at the ears.  Please can someone help in alleviating this strain - or is it meant to be?

I also felt like that when I tried focusing on the tones. My ears started feeling sore when I never had any issues before. It passes after a few days but take it slow and easy. After a few days you will notice that the sound is not coming from the ears but that region and sometimes from above the ears. You will also become more aware as the sounds come on during the day. 

I tried meditating with earplugs today. You definately feel more centered and internal. You realise how much surti was escaping via the ears when eyes are shut. I could also hear my heart beating faintly in the background.  Good way to work on romrom simran as I struggled finding the pulse.  

Guest Soul Searcher.

I hear the sounds constantly as I meditate like this.  I hear my heartbeat and hear a beating sound from around belly button area too.

Everything is well it’s just that the strain behind  my ears that frustrates me.

I would also like help and a jugti to help with staying focused and not getting caught up with the minds thoughts during meditation.

22 hours ago, Guest Soul Searcher. said:

I would also like help and a jugti to help with staying focused and not getting caught up with the minds thoughts during meditation.

That is why it is good to become adept at focusing on a mantra first and stilling the mind. It helps build concentration stamina in reducing the thoughts. You begin to appreciate why so much focus is given on mantra jaap first because if you can't do that, then listening to sounds is even more difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello brothers! I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread and I hope you can provide me some insight.

A quick background, I followed many meditative paths throughout my life. One of the was a Sant Mat(Rhadoswami Path). One day, while meditating, the sound current, spontaneously started in my left ear. I was overjoyed, until some members told me that was Kal, etc. etc. and it freaked me out, because it freaked me out so much I kept my attention on it constantly monitoring(my subconscious saw this as a huge threat so it was constantly checkin, checking, etc, etc. I'm also prone to OCD and have had considerably childhood trauma). *Note I was able to centralize the sound when I worked with it but I gave up as I was frustrated, fearful and hadn't had the equanimity of mind. I struggled with it for a while until, I focused on life and ultimately found another teaching and forgot about the sound, didn't hear it for many years.

I was very zealous about meditation. This one in particular I would meditate for many hours a day and go on extended retreats. I suffered so much with my mind throughout my life that I was actually using meditation as a drug of sorts.  Fast forward many years of head based practice and I had a spontaneous kundalini awakening and my crown chakra open. I felt my entire life force get pushed out of the top of my head and out of the chakra at the back of the head. Life was miserable for many years(and still is to a degree) I was disorientated and felt like I was going to lose my mind. I was so ungrounded and dissociated constantly I could barely function and my saintly wife more or less took care of me and my affairs.

Literature and some teachers advised me to ground my practice, which I did. I started a downward, body-scan type meditation and focusing on my breath at the belly, going for long walks, focusing attention at my feet. I practiced rather vigilantly. I started feeling better. I could connect to the world, to my wife, to my children, I felt like I was waking up from some sort of coma. I was delighted. 

About 6 months ago, I started feeling heat(chi) around my left ear and next. I would also notice swirling energy in that area. I thought nothing of it and thought of it as something positive. This heat and swirling continued randomly for a couple more weeks. Then one morning I woke up and my left ear was screaming, EEEEEEEEEEEEEE, accompanied by little tinker bells in the exact area of the hear, again, I thought nothing of it and more or less continued with my life trying to function with this noise. I even went to a chiropractor that did an adjustment and I felt that flow of warm heat down my left ear, down my neck and into my shoulder. I again thought this was a positive sign of some energy channel opening.  When I would meditated with this noise it seemed it became louder and encompased my head like a halo.

Fast forward A couple of weeks past and it really lost it's intensity, but I foolishly decided to venture into the internet to read about what this was. I came across stories of poor souls who just had some of the darkest, darkest stories about their battle with tinnitus(I wont go into details), etc, etc... and that was the hook, that's all it took. I then became immensely afraid as well. I started having panic attacks, the noise would get louder, the bells would get more intense, I would get more panic stricken, a really vicious cycle. I would go days without sleeping and I was literally letting this noise drive me crazy(all the trauma from the kundalini, my fight or flight system was geared for the worst). I would check "it" first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. It consumed me, I literally spent 90% of my thought about it, and I would perpetuate my suffering by reading these awful stories online. I was so hyper-vigilant I would focus on it, all the little sounds(I called it alien morse code) and could not stop myself.  All the crisis lead me to start dissociating again, an interesting side note when I become totally dissociated, there was just pure silence.... it was very interesting and I believe it might be meaningful in some way.

What do you all think about it? Is it sound current, is it tinnitus? At one point I convinced myself it was sound current and guess what(it dissapeared) but that didn't last and my mind took me down the damn same rabbit hole again.  So, here I am, still reeling, found this thread and thought it might be a good idea to check in with you all. 

Waheguru and love
John

13 hours ago, John K said:

Fast forward many years of head based practice and I had a spontaneous kundalini awakening and my crown chakra open. I felt my entire life force get pushed out of the top of my head and out of the chakra at the back of the head. Life was miserable for many years(and still is to a degree) I was disorientated and felt like I was going to lose my mind. I was so ungrounded and dissociated constantly I could barely function and my saintly wife more or less took care of me and my affairs.

Do you have kesh (uncut hair) tied in a knot at the top of your head (please see below)?

Do you cover your head while meditating?

image.jpeg.82d41020d792dc6c97442821d259f4c3.jpeg

Bhul chuk maaf

On April 7, 2018 at 11:26 AM, John K said:

Hello brothers! I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread and I hope you can provide me some insight.

A quick background, I followed many meditative paths throughout my life. One of the was a Sant Mat(Rhadoswami Path). One day, while meditating, the sound current, spontaneously started in my left ear. I was overjoyed, until some members told me that was Kal, etc. etc. and it freaked me out, because it freaked me out so much I kept my attention on it constantly monitoring(my subconscious saw this as a huge threat so it was constantly checkin, checking, etc, etc. I'm also prone to OCD and have had considerably childhood trauma). *Note I was able to centralize the sound when I worked with it but I gave up as I was frustrated, fearful and hadn't had the equanimity of mind. I struggled with it for a while until, I focused on life and ultimately found another teaching and forgot about the sound, didn't hear it for many years.

I was very zealous about meditation. This one in particular I would meditate for many hours a day and go on extended retreats. I suffered so much with my mind throughout my life that I was actually using meditation as a drug of sorts.  Fast forward many years of head based practice and I had a spontaneous kundalini awakening and my crown chakra open. I felt my entire life force get pushed out of the top of my head and out of the chakra at the back of the head. Life was miserable for many years(and still is to a degree) I was disorientated and felt like I was going to lose my mind. I was so ungrounded and dissociated constantly I could barely function and my saintly wife more or less took care of me and my affairs.

Literature and some teachers advised me to ground my practice, which I did. I started a downward, body-scan type meditation and focusing on my breath at the belly, going for long walks, focusing attention at my feet. I practiced rather vigilantly. I started feeling better. I could connect to the world, to my wife, to my children, I felt like I was waking up from some sort of coma. I was delighted. 

About 6 months ago, I started feeling heat(chi) around my left ear and next. I would also notice swirling energy in that area. I thought nothing of it and thought of it as something positive. This heat and swirling continued randomly for a couple more weeks. Then one morning I woke up and my left ear was screaming, EEEEEEEEEEEEEE, accompanied by little tinker bells in the exact area of the hear, again, I thought nothing of it and more or less continued with my life trying to function with this noise. I even went to a chiropractor that did an adjustment and I felt that flow of warm heat down my left ear, down my neck and into my shoulder. I again thought this was a positive sign of some energy channel opening.  When I would meditated with this noise it seemed it became louder and encompased my head like a halo.

Fast forward A couple of weeks past and it really lost it's intensity, but I foolishly decided to venture into the internet to read about what this was. I came across stories of poor souls who just had some of the darkest, darkest stories about their battle with tinnitus(I wont go into details), etc, etc... and that was the hook, that's all it took. I then became immensely afraid as well. I started having panic attacks, the noise would get louder, the bells would get more intense, I would get more panic stricken, a really vicious cycle. I would go days without sleeping and I was literally letting this noise drive me crazy(all the trauma from the kundalini, my fight or flight system was geared for the worst). I would check "it" first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. It consumed me, I literally spent 90% of my thought about it, and I would perpetuate my suffering by reading these awful stories online. I was so hyper-vigilant I would focus on it, all the little sounds(I called it alien morse code) and could not stop myself.  All the crisis lead me to start dissociating again, an interesting side note when I become totally dissociated, there was just pure silence.... it was very interesting and I believe it might be meaningful in some way.

What do you all think about it? Is it sound current, is it tinnitus? At one point I convinced myself it was sound current and guess what(it dissapeared) but that didn't last and my mind took me down the damn same rabbit hole again.  So, here I am, still reeling, found this thread and thought it might be a good idea to check in with you all. 

Waheguru and love
John

I don't know what it is.

But I'll tell you the general principle for all meditation. Just keep focused on the meditation and let whatever sensations  / experiences you have be. They will come, whatever is gonna happen will happen, and then they will go. I have found that the the body has energy channels which have blockages, these blockages become opened up *automatically* during meditation. During the process of them opening up, we experience sensations. But these sensations are not the goal of the path, but rather side effects of unblocking. Hence the instruction to stay focused on your meditation. 

Generally, my feeling is if something happens that might be a health issue we should get it checked out. In kaljug most people don't have a great avastha so stuff that comes up is usually health related rather than spiritual advancement. BUT, keep in mind that sometimes disease is buried deep, and as our body gets cleaned out, we experience colds etc which is garbage coming out of the body. So it's actually a good thing. 

Finally, if you still are unsure, go meet a sant. The internet cannot give you an accurate diagnosis but a sant who has a high avastha can probably help guide you further as needed. If you let us know which city you live near, we might be able to guide you to a sant. 

On 4/8/2018 at 3:07 PM, Xylitol said:

I don't know what it is.

But I'll tell you the general principle for all meditation. Just keep focused on the meditation and let whatever sensations  / experiences you have be. They will come, whatever is gonna happen will happen, and then they will go. I have found that the the body has energy channels which have blockages, these blockages become opened up *automatically* during meditation. During the process of them opening up, we experience sensations. But these sensations are not the goal of the path, but rather side effects of unblocking. Hence the instruction to stay focused on your meditation. 

Generally, my feeling is if something happens that might be a health issue we should get it checked out. In kaljug most people don't have a great avastha so stuff that comes up is usually health related rather than spiritual advancement. BUT, keep in mind that sometimes disease is buried deep, and as our body gets cleaned out, we experience colds etc which is garbage coming out of the body. So it's actually a good thing. 

Finally, if you still are unsure, go meet a sant. The internet cannot give you an accurate diagnosis but a sant who has a high avastha can probably help guide you further as needed. If you let us know which city you live near, we might be able to guide you to a sant. 

I live in Chicagoland area. Thank you!

8 hours ago, John K said:

I live in Chicagoland area. Thank you!

Does anybody know of any sants who go to this area? I don't. 

Generally when you regularly go to the larger Sikh temples once in a while a sant will come to visit. You can then ask them for help. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry and just keep doing bhagti in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, Xylitol said:

Does anybody know of any sants who go to this area? I don't. 

Generally when you regularly go to the larger Sikh temples once in a while a sant will come to visit. You can then ask them for help. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry and just keep doing bhagti in the meantime. 

Personally don't know of any puran mahatmas however area does have quite a few abhiyaases.  I believe Simar Singh from mysimran is from the area.

Thank you my friends for all your correspondence. 

I was afraid maybe this was a disease state because I have some physical maniafestations such as the fizzle(crackle) and feelings of fullness. Sat1176 you mentioned that the sound current does have physical manifestations, reading that did ease some fears  

Would you believe this is more of an energetic phenomenon rather than an organic one? I will follow up with the resources you have given me. Thank you. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post a quick update since it's been a while. I've started hearing a conch shell and a chimta type noise. The peace felt from it is insane. I cannot put it into words. My entire body just relaxes. Only happens at night/early morning and the mind needs to be extremely quiet. Baby steps but slowly moving forward.