History Behind Nishaan Ashtbhuja?

SAadmin

I found very interesting picture on facebook of gyani sher singh ji holding Budda dal Asth Bunga. I would really appreciate if someone gives us some deep insight of symbolism of it and history behind this symbolism. Is it correct to say this is our khalsa puratan nishan sahib?

Here is the picture:

post-3-0-46800800-1394286975_thumb.jpg

There is information on this in Niddar and Singh's book on Hazoor Sahib.

That's a great image, btw.

One of my nephew's reading it right now, but will do when I get it back.

I don't want to push him too much! Just about got him to start reading any Sikh related stuff! lol

Edited by dalsingh101

This is replicated from The original asth Bhuja dhuja at hazoor sahib. That one has its asth(8) arms that slightly swivel.

Fro the lines and markers This looks like a copy made from the printed design on the shastarvidiya website.

It is said to have been given to the guru by Chandi mata when he did the havan before the creation of the Khalsa.

Nice to see Sikhs/ nihangs realising what their original symbols and signatures were.

If you read paramjit singhs and aman deep madras golden temple book you will see nihangs with other variations of the above and the khanda on their dumallas. These are no longer seen today.

Would be good to see the young kids who proudly wear dumallas adorn it with these. Shouldn't be to hard to get it made from local blacksmiths. (Or even learning 'smith skills themselves. )

Edited by SURYADEV

This is replicated from The original asth Bhuja dhuja at hazoor sahib. That one has its asth(8) arms that slightly swivel.

Fro the lines and markers This looks like a copy made from the printed design on the shastarvidiya website.

It is said to have been given to the guru by Chandi mata when he did the havan before the creation of the Khalsa.

Nice to see Sikhs/ nihangs realising what their original symbols and signatures were.

If you read paramjit singhs and aman deep madras golden temple book you will see nihangs with other variations of the above and the khanda on their dumallas. These are no longer seen today.

Would be good to see the young kids who proudly wear dumallas adorn it with these. Shouldn't be to hard to get it made from local blacksmiths. (Or even learning 'smith skills themselves. )

i would love to wear ash bujha on dumalla :)

many nihangs in past wore them

• 2 weeks later...

Guru gobind Singh ji never prayed to no devi.

What does gyani sher singh views on the origins of asthbunga ? ...I had a chance to talk to him in details many things...i took him to my house as we invited him for langar he does not down play anything.... he should be good source to validate stuff as he does not downplay anything but also gives gurmat tat of everything.!!

What does gyani sher singh views on the origins of asthbunga ? ...I had a chance to talk to him in details many things...i took him to my house as we invited him for langar he does not down play anything.... he should be good source to validate stuff as he does not downplay anything but also gives gurmat tat of everything.!!

i will call and ask him , and update this latter

• 1 year later...

Comes in dasam bani few times-

ਆਠ ਭੁਜਾ ਕਰਿਕੈ ਅਪਨੀ ਸਭਨੋ ਕਰ ਮੈ ਬਰ ਆਯੁਧ ਲੀਨੇ ॥ ਜ੍ਵਾਲ ਨਿਕਾਸ ਕਹੀ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਰਿਪ ਅਉਰ ਭਯੋ ਤੁਸਰੋ ਮਤਿ ਹੀਨੋ ॥
आठ भुजा करिकै अपनी सभनो कर मै बर आयुध लीने ॥ ज्वाल निकास कही मुख ते रिप अउर भयो तुसरो मति हीनो ॥
This maya manifested herself assuming eight arms and holding her weapons in her hands; the flames of fire were coming out of her mouth, she said, "O foolish Kansa ! your enemy has taken birth at another place;

ਦਾਮਨ ਸੀ ਲਹਕੈ ਨਭਿ ਮੈ ਡਰਕੈ ਫਟਗੇ ਤਿਹ ਸ਼ੱਤ੍ਰਨ ਸੀਨੇ ॥ ਮਾਰ ਡਰੈ ਇਹ ਹੂੰ ਹਮਹੂੰ ਸਭ ਤ੍ਰਾਸ ਮਨੇ ਅਤਿ ਦੈਤਨ ਕੀਨੇ ॥੭੩॥
दामन सी लहकै नभि मै डरकै फटगे तिह श्त्रन सीने ॥ मार डरै इह हूं हमहूं सभ त्रास मने अति दैतन कीने ॥७३॥
Saying this much, and crating fear in the hearts of the enemies, she began to wave like lightning in the sky and all the demons became fearful thinking that she may kill all of them.73.

ਸ੍ਰੋਣੰਤ ਅਚਿੰਤੀ ਅਨਲ ਬਿਵੰਤੀ ਜੋਗ ਜਯੰਤੀ ਖੜਗ ਧਰੇ ॥
स्रोणंत अचिंती अनल बिवंती जोग जयंती खड़ग धरे ॥
Thou art the drinker of blood, emitter of fire (from the mouth), the conqueror of Yoga and wielder of the Sword.

ਜੈ ਜੈ ਹੋਸੀ ਮਹਿਖਾਸੁਰ ਮਰਦਨ ਪਾਪ ਬਿਨਾਸਨ ਧਰਮ ਕਰੇ ॥੫॥੨੧੫॥
जै जै होसी महिखासुर मरदन पाप बिनासन धरम करे ॥५॥२१५॥
Hail, hail, O Slayer of Mahishasura, the destroyer of sin and originator of Dharma. 5.215.

ਅਘ ਓਘ ਨਿਵਾਰਿਣ ਦੁਸਟ ਪ੍ਰਜਾਰਿਣ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਉਬਾਰਿਣ ਸੁੱਧ ਮਤੇ ॥
अघ ओघ निवारिण दुसट प्रजारिण स्रिसटि उबारिण सु्ध मते ॥
Thou art the effacer of all the sins, the burner of the tyrants, Protector of the world and possessor of the world and possessor of pure intellect.

ਫਣੀਅਰ ਫੁੰਕਾਰਿਣ ਬਾਘ ਬੁਕਾਰਿਣ ਸਸਤ੍ਰ ਪ੍ਰਹਾਰਿਣ ਸਾਧ ਮਤੇ ॥
फणीअर फुंकारिण बाघ बुकारिण ससत्र प्रहारिण साध मते ॥
The snakes hiss (on Thy neck), Thy vehicle, the lion roars, Thou operatest arms, but are of saintly disposition.

ਸੈਹਥੀ ਸਨਾਹਨਿ ਅਸਟ ਪ੍ਰਬਾਹਨਿ ਬੋਲ ਨਿਬਾਹਨਿ ਤੇਜ ਅਤੁਲੰ ॥
सैहथी सनाहनि असट प्रबाहनि बोल निबाहनि तेज अतुलं ॥
Thou earnest arms like `saihathi` in Thy eight long arms, Thou art True to Thy words and Thy Glory is Immeasurable

ਜੈ ਜੈ ਹੋਸੀ ਮਹਿਖਾਸੁਰ ਮਰਦਨ ਭੂਮਿ ਅਕਾਸ ਪਤਾਲ ਜਲੰ ॥੬॥੨੧੬॥
जै जै होसी महिखासुर मरदन भूमि अकास पताल जलं ॥६॥२१६॥
Hail, hail, O Slayer of Mahishasura! Pervading in earth, sky, nether-world and water.6.216.

ਦਾੜ੍ਹਵੀ ਪ੍ਰਦੰਤੇ ਜੋਗ ਜਯੰਤੇ ਮਨੁਜ ਮਥੰਤੇ ਗੂੜ੍ਹ ਕਥੇ ॥
दाड़्हवी प्रदंते जोग जयंते मनुज मथंते गूड़्ह कथे ॥
Thy teeth are like grains of pomegranate, Thou art the conqueror of the Yoga, masher of men and Deity of profound principles.

ਕਰਮ ਪ੍ਰਣਾਸਣਿ ਚੰਦ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸਣਿ ਸੂਰਜ ਪ੍ਰਤੇਜਣਿ ਅਸਟ ਭੁਜੇ ॥
करम प्रणासणि चंद प्रकासणि सूरज प्रतेजणि असट भुजे ॥
O the Goddess of eight long arms! Thou art the destroyer of sinful actions with moonlike light and sunlike Glory.

The ast bhuja or * arms all signify different aspects of battle tactics.

Thats interesting veer, now the next question would be whats are different aspects of battle tactics? Is this knowledge widely available or I reckon its only kept gupt in nihang dals ( understandably so) due to sensitive nature of tactical knowledge?

Is there any khalsa dharam yudh maryda written in form of rehitnama or hakunnamas? Here is compilation list one of singh managed to compile from sri dasam granth

Along with bikramjit singh's post; Here are some of them in point forms.

Here are some rules to remember and regulated by guroo gobind singh maharaj during dharam yudh-

Literally, it means waging a war of righteousness or securing freedom and justice. Guru Hargobind Ji raised an army to fight against Mughal and Hindu oppression and injustice. Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji amplified the Sikh concept of Dharam Yudh as under:

1. War to be waged should be without aggression or feeling of emnity and revenge.

2. Before war is begun, all peaceful means of dialiogue, arbitration and negotiation should have been tried but without any success.

3. The soldiers should be volunteers devoted to the cause.

4. The defeated enemy should be treated with consideration and compassion. No women or children be captured or maltreated.

5. That minimum force be used for subduing the enemy and as a last resort.

6. No territory is to be annexed, no looting or wilful bloodshed is permitted. The army for Dharam-Yudh must observe these conditions, for they have to set an example as Saint-Soldiers.

This was written by Guru Ji himself for all Singhs to emulate. I personally believe that these rules also serve as an excellent guide for life. Think about them along these:

1. Have no hatred towards anyone

2. Try to be reasonable and understanding, but let anyone walk over you!

3. Be devoted to your Guru and always aim to serve your Guru

4. Recognise everything you see around you as that of Vahiguru, love everything. Even people who maltreat you should be treated with Love, to show that whatever they do or say, the only thing that really matters in this world is Vahiguru.

5. Never try to be over-zealous and make sure that what you are doing is for the benefit of YOU and your Guru and that you DO NOT hurt the people who surround you when you are trying to achieve your goals.

6. Do not hurt anyone (physically or mentally) and do not take or receive anything that does not belong to you.

Reference: Some of these teachings come from Guru Gobind SIngh's Charitropakhyan.!

• 6 years later...
On 3/14/2014 at 2:39 AM, savinderpalsingh said:

4EB7152C-6A9F-4C4E-928F-DDDD5813EFF0-470x352.jpeg.4f353374fd5bb1474adafde95bd1e468.jpeg

On 3/14/2014 at 2:39 AM, savinderpalsingh said:

Singh Ji, you still can but smaller search it up [Dumalla Sahib Astbhuja Shastar]

• 3 weeks later...