Is My Parakh Going On ?

WJKK WJKF,

Hi all,

I have been visiting sikh awareness from quiet a while now and need to ask some experts about parakh going on in my life.

We were a very normal sikh family and everything was going good, I use to go to a gym, study and got a decent job in an MNC in India. Back in 2008, my elder brother took amrit and asked me too take it too, but I was hesitant on taking it because it would block me from doing bad deeds (there is discipline, Rehat in a sikhs life which is difficult to follow). One day in 2008, I was going home on my two wheeler and met with a accident and felt the near death experience. Not a single scratch on me but scooter was almost ruined, that day I felt that this could have been my last day and Jamdoots would have taken me to dharamraaj.

In a week's time , I took amrit and started the wonderfull Nitnem daily, 5 banis without taking amrit are difficult to recite, but with power of amrit you start a liking for it. We bought a new home. Me , my elder bro, my father were 3 members earning now...chardikalla was in now, my mother being the house wife. at this time only my mom was not an amritdhari.

We were amritdharis, but not pakke guru ke singhs, some times I missed my nem, listened to songs, I m young n unmarried and naturally liked making new friends and was inclined towards sunder roop, but not in a bad way, just in a normal way.

till 2012, everything in my life was going exponentially well. But things started rolling down, My mother was diagnosed with Kideny failure, she took amrit a year before her problem.....she lost her senses for 1.5 months , her hemoglobin went down to 4.5, and we took her ICU 2 times till now, she undergoes painfull dialysis 2 times a week till now.

My elder bro, recently married was diagnosed with TB, which blocked his food pipe and he was not able to swallow raw food, he is still undergoing his treatment and his problem is 80% cured with Guru's grace.

My father, being a old guy is taking care of expenses for my mother, which is like much more than my monthly salary, with my salary, I can bearly take care of my self. but money is not a problem here.

All this streesed me out and I am a hypertensive guy now, I recently developed a high heart rate problem. Doing night shifts and a stressfull job is taking toll on me. Watching my mothers left arm, which takes two 4 inches long and a wide needle 2 times a week (very painfull) , chops off my desire to live. All relatives have run away, they are just mere spectators now.

I continously devolpe some pain in my body, I am used to it now, Hospital is not a new thing for me now. But all this prompted me towards guru, I listened to Giani thakur singh ji's guru granth sahib katha, watched all mahapurukhs videos on youtube. Took my mom to darbar sahib once, been there 7 times in last year. after all this I realised that our condition halted, its not going bad anymore, but still its not going positive. We are in a loop, I will feel stressed till my mom is not well, which is almost impossible.

One imp thing : Since my childhood, our family used to visit a mahapuruk, Sant narayan singh ji moni, u can search for him on youtube, he is pooran sant like a Son of guru gobind singh ji. some times sant ji comes in my dreams and assures that everything will be good. But when I wake up, everything is same, I also used to get dreams of shaheed singhs.

I also went to Hansalli sahib and had darshan of Mahapurukh Ajit singh ji, but I was not able to tell him my issues , just did ardass there and came back home.

My point is that I am fed up now, some times I feel I can do sava lakh mool mantar (which i have just started) n save my family, but whom to save, I am myself a suffering from depression now. I know this path is difficult, but sometimes you dont have the answer and have to jus bow down to Hukam of akal purakh ji. please do ardass payreo......Fateh

Dear Veer,

I am sorry to hear about the difficult times you are going through in your life and may Waheguru bless you with good times away from the troubles of day to day life. Like yourself my life is also going through some difficult times and like you I also question, why me? Am I being tested? Even my own mother will ring me up and tell me I'm having an examination from Waheguru and to be honest I don't find those kind of remarks very consoling. Why this parakh/examination? Are they saying the problems we are going through are temporary and waheguru will eventually have pity and wave a magic wand and they will be taken away or are we being tested whether we accept the bad times and remember him. It is only natural when no one else can help you that one turns to the Creator because the only hope left for anyone is him and his prayer. It is easier if one is already doing some kind prayer before hand otherwise people can really drown in all the pain and suffering.

I was listening to a mahapursh only a few days ago he said something that sparked a light within me when I too was drowning in this life and finding it all too difficult to deal with and cope. The worry, stress and difficulties I was going through were starting to take there toll on my own health and I could see myself going downhill. I will share his teaching with you hoping that it sheds some light in your path in the times of darkness.

He said when we wake up in the morning we can choose what clothes we want to wear. One item of clothing is Sukh and the other is Dukh. These are not clothes in the literal sense but clothes we choose to put on our mind. We can either let our mind run free and be engulfed in all the day to day troubles, stresses, worries, anxieties hence wearing the kapra of dukh, or we can bring the mind into some control and focus it on the remembrance of Waheguru. Therefore not giving it time to be occupied by negative thoughts which cause us problems. By dedicating more time to this marg your mind will be given less time to be affected by the troubles and with guru's grace they won't seem so bad and you will sail through these trying times. That is the key difference between a Gurmukh and a Manmukh.

I then took it one step further a did a search for the word "dukh" in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and you will see the same guidance coming through. Below are a few pangti's that emphasize this very approach. I hope it helps you dear brother.

hukmee utam neech hukam likh dukh sukh paa-ee-ah.

By His Command, some are high and some are low; by His Written Command, pain and pleasure are obtained.

gaavee-ai sunee-ai man rakhee-ai bhaa-o.

Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

dukh parhar sukh ghar lai jaa-ay.

Your pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to your home.

gurmukh naadaN gurmukh vaydaN gurmukh rahi-aa samaa-ee.

The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.

man bairaagee ghar vasai sach bhai raataa ho-ay.

If the mind becomes balanced and detached, and comes to dwell in its own true home, imbued with the Fear of God,

gi-aan mahaaras bhogvai baahurh bhookh na ho-ay.

then it enjoys the essence of supreme spiritual wisdom; it shall never feel hunger again.

too daree-aa-o daanaa beenaa mai machhulee kaisay ant lahaa.

You are the River, All-knowing and All-seeing. I am just a fish-how can I find Your limit?

jah jah daykhaa tah tah too hai tujh tay niksee foot maraa. ||1||

Wherever I look, You are there. Outside of You, I would burst and die. ||1||

na jaanaa may-o na jaanaa jaalee.

I do not know of the fisherman, and I do not know of the net. (Reference here to troubles effecting the mind)

jaa dukh laagai taa tujhai samaalee. ||1|| rahaa-o.

But when the pain comes, then I call upon You. ||1||Pause||

too bharpoor jaani-aa mai door.

You are present everywhere. I had thought that You were far away.

manmukh mohi vi-aapi-aa bairaag udaasee na ho-ay.

The self-willed manmukhs are engrossed in emotional attachment; they are not balanced or detached.

sabad na cheenai sadaa dukh har dargahi pat kho-ay.

They do not comprehend the Word of the Shabad. They suffer in pain forever, and lose their honor in the Court of the Lord.

ha-umai gurmukh kho-ee-ai naam ratay sukh ho-ay. ||1||

The Gurmukhs shed their ego; attuned to the Naam, they find peace.

gurmukh sadaa sohaaganee pir raakhi-aa ur Dhaar.

The Gurmukh is the happy and pure soul-bride forever. She keeps her Husband Lord enshrined within her heart.

mithaa boleh niv chaleh sayjai ravai bhataar.

Her speech is sweet, and her way of life is humble. She enjoys the Bed of her Husband Lord.

sobhaavantee sohaaganee jin gur kaa hayt apaar. ||2||

The happy and pure soul-bride is noble; she has infinite love for the Guru. ||2||

poorai bhaag satgur milai jaa bhaagai kaa ud-u ho-ay.

By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.

antrahu dukh bharam katee-ai sukh paraapat ho-ay.

Suffering and doubt are cut out from within, and peace is obtained.

gur kai bhaanai jo chalai dukh na paavai ko-ay. ||3||

One who walks in harmony with the Guru's Will shall not suffer in pain. ||3||

gur kay bhaanay vich amrit hai sehjay paavai ko-ay.

The Amrit, the Ambrosial Nectar, is in the Guru's Will. With intuitive ease, it is obtained.

jinaa paraapat tin pee-aa ha-umai vichahu kho-ay.

Those who are destined to have it, drink it in; their egotism is eradicated from within.

naanak gurmukh naam Dhi-aa-ee-ai sach milaavaa ho-ay. ||4||13||46||

O Nanak, the Gurmukh meditates on the Naam, and is united with the True Lord.

man mayray kartay no saalaahi.

O my mind, praise the Creator.

sabhay chhad si-aanpaa gur kee pairee paahi. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Give up all your clever tricks, and fall at the Feet of the Guru. ||1||Pause||

dukh bhukh nah vi-aapa-ee jay sukh-daata man ho-ay.

Pain and hunger shall not oppress you, if the Giver of Peace comes into your mind.

kit hee kamm na chhijee-ai jaa hirdai sachaa so-ay.

No undertaking shall fail, when the True Lord is always in your heart.

jis tooN rakheh hath day tis maar na sakai ko-ay.

No one can kill that one unto whom You, Lord, give Your Hand and protect.

sabh si-aanpaa chhad kai gur kee charnee paahu. ||1||

Give up all your clever tricks, and grasp the Feet of the Guru. ||1||

man mayray sukh sahj saytee jap naa-o.

O my mind, chant the Name with intuitive peace and poise.

aath pahar parabh Dhi-aa-ay tooN gun go-ind nit gaa-o. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Twenty-four hours a day, meditate on God. Constantly sing the Glories of the Lord of

the Universe. ||1||Pause||

tis kee sarnee par manaa jis jayvad avar na ko-ay.

Seek His Shelter, O my mind; there is no other as Great as He.

jis simrat sukh ho-ay ghanaa dukh darad na moolay ho-ay.

Remembering Him in meditation, a profound peace is obtained. Pain and suffering will not touch you at all.

sadaa sadaa kar chaakree parabh saahib sachaa so-ay. ||2||

Forever and ever, work for God; He is our True Lord and Master. ||2||

tiseh Dhi-aavahu man mayray sarab ko aaDhaar. ||1||

Meditate on the One, O my mind, who is the Support of all. ||1||

gur kay charan man meh Dhi-aa-ay.

Meditate within your mind on the Guru's Feet.

chhod sagal si-aanpaa saach sabad liv laa-ay. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Give up all your clever mental tricks, and lovingly attune yourself to the True Word of the Shabad. ||1||Pause||

dukh kalays na bha-o bi-aapai gur mantar hirdai ho-ay.

Suffering, agony and fear do not cling to one whose heart is filled with the GurMantra.

aas andaysaa door kar i-o mal jaa-ay samaa-ay. ||4||

Let your hopes and anxieties depart; thus pollution is washed away. ||4||

sukh ka-o maagai sabh ko dukh na maagai ko-ay.

Everyone begs for happiness; no one asks for suffering.

sukhai ka-o dukh aglaa manmukh boojh na ho-ay.

But in the wake of happiness, there comes great suffering. The self-willed manmukhs do not understand this.

sukh dukh sam kar jaanee-ahi sabad bhayd sukh ho-ay. ||5||

Those who see pain and pleasure as one and the same find peace; they are pierced through by the Shabad. ||5||

satgur bhai kaa bohithaa nadree paar utaar. ||4||

The True Guru is the only boat on this terrifying ocean. His Glance of Grace carries us across. ||4||

ik til pi-aaraa visrai dukh laagai sukh jaa-ay.

If I forget my Beloved, even for an instant, suffering overtakes me and peace departs.

jihvaa jala-o jalaavanee naam na japai rasaa-ay.

Let that tongue be burnt in flames, which does not chant the Naam with love.

bin sabdai jag dukhee-aa firai manmukhaa no ga-ee khaa-ay.

Without the Shabad, the world wanders lost in pain. The self-willed manmukh is consumed.

sabday naam Dhi-aa-ee-ai sabday sach samaa-ay. ||4||

Through the Shabad, meditate on the Naam; through the Shabad, you shall merge in Truth. ||4||

man har har japan karay.

O mind, chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

har gur sarnaa-ee bhaj pa-o jindoo sabh kilvikh dukh parharay. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Hurry to the Sanctuary of the Lord, the Guru, O my soul; all your sins shall be taken away. ||1||Pause||

har har naam japahu man mayray jit sadaa sukh hovai din raatee.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; it will bring you eternal peace, day and night.

har har naam japahu man mayray jit simrat sabh kilvikh paap lahaatee.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; meditating on it, all sins and misdeeds shall be erased.

har har naam japahu man mayray jit daalad dukh bhukh sabh leh jaatee.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; through it, all poverty, pain and hunger shall be removed.

har har naam japahu man mayray mukh gurmukh pareet lagaatee.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; as Gurmukh, declare your love.

jit mukh bhaag likhi-aa Dhur saachai har tit mukh naam japaatee. ||13||

One who has such pre-ordained destiny inscribed upon his forehead by the True Lord, chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||13||

naam rasaa-in man tariptaa-in gurmukh amrit peevaaN jee-o. ||3||

The Nectar of the Name satisfies my mind. As Gurmukh, I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar. ||3||

dukh sukh pi-aaray tuDh Dhi-aa-ee.

In suffering and in comfort, I meditate on You, O Beloved.

pooray gur kai sabad aDhaaraa.

The Shabad of the Perfect Guru is my Support.

naanak naam milai vadi-aa-ee dukh sukh sam kar jaanni-aa. ||8||10||11||

O Nanak, one who obtains the Greatness of the Naam, looks upon pain and pleasure as one and the same.

dukhee-ay nit fireh billaaday bin gur saaNt na paavni-aa. ||6||

These miserable people wander endlessly, crying out in pain; without the Guru, they find no peace. ||6||

jin keetay so-ee biDh jaanai.

The One who created them, knows their condition.

aap karay taa hukam pachhaanai.

And if He inspires them, then they realize the Hukam of His Command.

Nanak naam chardi kala tere bhane sarbat da bhala...

Edited by Sat1176

God will goes not yours, dukh sukh are part of life, relax puts some keertan on and leave it all at the Guru's door

Man up stop whinging like a b**t**

thnx Sat and Jaikara veer ...

@ Pal 07 - veere easy to say....I m not expecting u to help,,,I jus wann my fellow singhs to be aware of tests we can encounter (I know its my fight bro)

Dear Veer,

I am sorry to hear about the difficult times you are going through in your life and may Waheguru bless you with good times away from the troubles of day to day life. Like yourself my life is also going through some difficult times and like you I also question, why me? Am I being tested? Even my own mother will ring me up and tell me I'm having an examination from Waheguru and to be honest I don't find those kind of remarks very consoling. Why this parakh/examination? Are they saying the problems we are going through are temporary and waheguru will eventually have pity and wave a magic wand and they will be taken away or are we being tested whether we accept the bad times and remember him. It is only natural when no one else can help you that one turns to the Creator because the only hope left for anyone is him and his prayer. It is easier if one is already doing some kind prayer before hand otherwise people can really drown in all the pain and suffering.

I was listening to a mahapursh only a few days ago he said something that sparked a light within me when I too was drowning in this life and finding it all too difficult to deal with and cope. The worry, stress and difficulties I was going through were starting to take there toll on my own health and I could see myself going downhill. I will share his teaching with you hoping that it sheds some light in your path in the times of darkness.

He said when we wake up in the morning we can choose what clothes we want to wear. One item of clothing is Sukh and the other is Dukh. These are not clothes in the literal sense but clothes we choose to put on our mind. We can either let our mind run free and be engulfed in all the day to day troubles, stresses, worries, anxieties hence wearing the kapra of dukh, or we can bring the mind into some control and focus it on the remembrance of Waheguru. Therefore not giving it time to be occupied by negative thoughts which cause us problems. By dedicating more time to this marg your mind will be given less time to be affected by the troubles and with guru's grace they won't seem so bad and you will sail through these trying times. That is the key difference between a Gurmukh and a Manmukh.

I then took it one step further a did a search for the word "dukh" in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and you will see the same guidance coming through. Below are a few pangti's that emphasize this very approach. I hope it helps you dear brother.

hukmee utam neech hukam likh dukh sukh paa-ee-ah.

By His Command, some are high and some are low; by His Written Command, pain and pleasure are obtained.

gaavee-ai sunee-ai man rakhee-ai bhaa-o.

Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

dukh parhar sukh ghar lai jaa-ay.

Your pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to your home.

gurmukh naadaN gurmukh vaydaN gurmukh rahi-aa samaa-ee.

The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.

man bairaagee ghar vasai sach bhai raataa ho-ay.

If the mind becomes balanced and detached, and comes to dwell in its own true home, imbued with the Fear of God,

gi-aan mahaaras bhogvai baahurh bhookh na ho-ay.

then it enjoys the essence of supreme spiritual wisdom; it shall never feel hunger again.

too daree-aa-o daanaa beenaa mai machhulee kaisay ant lahaa.

You are the River, All-knowing and All-seeing. I am just a fish-how can I find Your limit?

jah jah daykhaa tah tah too hai tujh tay niksee foot maraa. ||1||

Wherever I look, You are there. Outside of You, I would burst and die. ||1||

na jaanaa may-o na jaanaa jaalee.

I do not know of the fisherman, and I do not know of the net. (Reference here to troubles effecting the mind)

jaa dukh laagai taa tujhai samaalee. ||1|| rahaa-o.

But when the pain comes, then I call upon You. ||1||Pause||

too bharpoor jaani-aa mai door.

You are present everywhere. I had thought that You were far away.

manmukh mohi vi-aapi-aa bairaag udaasee na ho-ay.

The self-willed manmukhs are engrossed in emotional attachment; they are not balanced or detached.

sabad na cheenai sadaa dukh har dargahi pat kho-ay.

They do not comprehend the Word of the Shabad. They suffer in pain forever, and lose their honor in the Court of the Lord.

ha-umai gurmukh kho-ee-ai naam ratay sukh ho-ay. ||1||

The Gurmukhs shed their ego; attuned to the Naam, they find peace.

gurmukh sadaa sohaaganee pir raakhi-aa ur Dhaar.

The Gurmukh is the happy and pure soul-bride forever. She keeps her Husband Lord enshrined within her heart.

mithaa boleh niv chaleh sayjai ravai bhataar.

Her speech is sweet, and her way of life is humble. She enjoys the Bed of her Husband Lord.

sobhaavantee sohaaganee jin gur kaa hayt apaar. ||2||

The happy and pure soul-bride is noble; she has infinite love for the Guru. ||2||

poorai bhaag satgur milai jaa bhaagai kaa ud-u ho-ay.

By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.

antrahu dukh bharam katee-ai sukh paraapat ho-ay.

Suffering and doubt are cut out from within, and peace is obtained.

gur kai bhaanai jo chalai dukh na paavai ko-ay. ||3||

One who walks in harmony with the Guru's Will shall not suffer in pain. ||3||

gur kay bhaanay vich amrit hai sehjay paavai ko-ay.

The Amrit, the Ambrosial Nectar, is in the Guru's Will. With intuitive ease, it is obtained.

jinaa paraapat tin pee-aa ha-umai vichahu kho-ay.

Those who are destined to have it, drink it in; their egotism is eradicated from within.

naanak gurmukh naam Dhi-aa-ee-ai sach milaavaa ho-ay. ||4||13||46||

O Nanak, the Gurmukh meditates on the Naam, and is united with the True Lord.

man mayray kartay no saalaahi.

O my mind, praise the Creator.

sabhay chhad si-aanpaa gur kee pairee paahi. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Give up all your clever tricks, and fall at the Feet of the Guru. ||1||Pause||

dukh bhukh nah vi-aapa-ee jay sukh-daata man ho-ay.

Pain and hunger shall not oppress you, if the Giver of Peace comes into your mind.

kit hee kamm na chhijee-ai jaa hirdai sachaa so-ay.

No undertaking shall fail, when the True Lord is always in your heart.

jis tooN rakheh hath day tis maar na sakai ko-ay.

No one can kill that one unto whom You, Lord, give Your Hand and protect.

sabh si-aanpaa chhad kai gur kee charnee paahu. ||1||

Give up all your clever tricks, and grasp the Feet of the Guru. ||1||

man mayray sukh sahj saytee jap naa-o.

O my mind, chant the Name with intuitive peace and poise.

aath pahar parabh Dhi-aa-ay tooN gun go-ind nit gaa-o. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Twenty-four hours a day, meditate on God. Constantly sing the Glories of the Lord of

the Universe. ||1||Pause||

tis kee sarnee par manaa jis jayvad avar na ko-ay.

Seek His Shelter, O my mind; there is no other as Great as He.

jis simrat sukh ho-ay ghanaa dukh darad na moolay ho-ay.

Remembering Him in meditation, a profound peace is obtained. Pain and suffering will not touch you at all.

sadaa sadaa kar chaakree parabh saahib sachaa so-ay. ||2||

Forever and ever, work for God; He is our True Lord and Master. ||2||

tiseh Dhi-aavahu man mayray sarab ko aaDhaar. ||1||

Meditate on the One, O my mind, who is the Support of all. ||1||

gur kay charan man meh Dhi-aa-ay.

Meditate within your mind on the Guru's Feet.

chhod sagal si-aanpaa saach sabad liv laa-ay. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Give up all your clever mental tricks, and lovingly attune yourself to the True Word of the Shabad. ||1||Pause||

dukh kalays na bha-o bi-aapai gur mantar hirdai ho-ay.

Suffering, agony and fear do not cling to one whose heart is filled with the GurMantra.

aas andaysaa door kar i-o mal jaa-ay samaa-ay. ||4||

Let your hopes and anxieties depart; thus pollution is washed away. ||4||

sukh ka-o maagai sabh ko dukh na maagai ko-ay.

Everyone begs for happiness; no one asks for suffering.

sukhai ka-o dukh aglaa manmukh boojh na ho-ay.

But in the wake of happiness, there comes great suffering. The self-willed manmukhs do not understand this.

sukh dukh sam kar jaanee-ahi sabad bhayd sukh ho-ay. ||5||

Those who see pain and pleasure as one and the same find peace; they are pierced through by the Shabad. ||5||

satgur bhai kaa bohithaa nadree paar utaar. ||4||

The True Guru is the only boat on this terrifying ocean. His Glance of Grace carries us across. ||4||

ik til pi-aaraa visrai dukh laagai sukh jaa-ay.

If I forget my Beloved, even for an instant, suffering overtakes me and peace departs.

jihvaa jala-o jalaavanee naam na japai rasaa-ay.

Let that tongue be burnt in flames, which does not chant the Naam with love.

bin sabdai jag dukhee-aa firai manmukhaa no ga-ee khaa-ay.

Without the Shabad, the world wanders lost in pain. The self-willed manmukh is consumed.

sabday naam Dhi-aa-ee-ai sabday sach samaa-ay. ||4||

Through the Shabad, meditate on the Naam; through the Shabad, you shall merge in Truth. ||4||

man har har japan karay.

O mind, chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

har gur sarnaa-ee bhaj pa-o jindoo sabh kilvikh dukh parharay. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Hurry to the Sanctuary of the Lord, the Guru, O my soul; all your sins shall be taken away. ||1||Pause||

har har naam japahu man mayray jit sadaa sukh hovai din raatee.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; it will bring you eternal peace, day and night.

har har naam japahu man mayray jit simrat sabh kilvikh paap lahaatee.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; meditating on it, all sins and misdeeds shall be erased.

har har naam japahu man mayray jit daalad dukh bhukh sabh leh jaatee.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; through it, all poverty, pain and hunger shall be removed.

har har naam japahu man mayray mukh gurmukh pareet lagaatee.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; as Gurmukh, declare your love.

jit mukh bhaag likhi-aa Dhur saachai har tit mukh naam japaatee. ||13||

One who has such pre-ordained destiny inscribed upon his forehead by the True Lord, chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||13||

naam rasaa-in man tariptaa-in gurmukh amrit peevaaN jee-o. ||3||

The Nectar of the Name satisfies my mind. As Gurmukh, I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar. ||3||

dukh sukh pi-aaray tuDh Dhi-aa-ee.

In suffering and in comfort, I meditate on You, O Beloved.

pooray gur kai sabad aDhaaraa.

The Shabad of the Perfect Guru is my Support.

naanak naam milai vadi-aa-ee dukh sukh sam kar jaanni-aa. ||8||10||11||

O Nanak, one who obtains the Greatness of the Naam, looks upon pain and pleasure as one and the same.

dukhee-ay nit fireh billaaday bin gur saaNt na paavni-aa. ||6||

These miserable people wander endlessly, crying out in pain; without the Guru, they find no peace. ||6||

jin keetay so-ee biDh jaanai.

The One who created them, knows their condition.

aap karay taa hukam pachhaanai.

And if He inspires them, then they realize the Hukam of His Command.

Nanak naam chardi kala tere bhane sarbat da bhala...

Sat veere, thnx fr such a detailed reply, I agree that dukh brings you closer to god and he can be seen only by a bairagi heart, heart which longs for him, I have seen him giving a pause status to all my pains, otherwise things could get worse.

Fateh

Pal 07 - veere easy to say...

Trust me you don't know the kind of shyyt iv'e been through. Think of the sakhi of that garreb singh who shared half of one roti with a visitor and still thanked akaal pursh for his great blessings. Ruff times don't always last through time it will go. Ketiia dukh bukh sad maar, eh be daat tere dataar

• 5 months later...

To brother Raman,

and to all those are going through bad periods, and to those any of us who can go through it any time without previous notification, I can only say something which I have learned from Gurmat, and that is, whatever happens in life, it is our very karma, and this karma is not thrwon upon us indiscrimately, but it is a microscopic part of our very countless earnings(karmas).

So we should never ever blame anyone for it, not even to our beloved Wahiguru, to whom almost the whole world accusses, when in reality He does nothing as such, to make us feel pain or make us miserable.... how dare we do that? It is out of agyanta, man blames Him

He is softer than the softest....

So as said, life is based on karmas, which we can not alterate. We know we may be poor or sick, and have no wealth, neither scope maybe, but one thing is sure, we have something which is the most valuable thing is this creation, of which, even billions of dollars or pounds can not buy even 1 gramme of it. And that is our "swaasa dee poonjee", the wealth of the number of remaining breaths we have to take yet. This precious wealth, we can waste it like that in a useless manner, or we can use it, in a useful manner to make ourselves a spiritual emeperor.

Yes, yes, you are listening well, a spiritual emperor.

Now, who is a spiritual emperor?

Naturally, the answer is Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

Here comes now the beant greatness of Wahiguru. Our destiny is only due to our karmas as said before, but by His daat of swaasa dee poonjee, we can reach the highest. For that we have to do some sort of bussiness, in which we have to give something valuable, so to get in return something valueless, means something which even gods can not give us....

So, the bussiness is, to give one breath, and in exchange purchase Nam for it, as simple as that; it is not costly nor difficult for anybody, irrespective of gender, class, health, political or economic issues....

Have we ever asked, why do we like to gather money? Mostly it is because, we want to insure our future, to live happily and with dignity.

But , we tend to forget, that we are not going to live here for ever...life is short and uncertain; moreover any type of wealth accumulated here, in the end is nothing but a handful of dust, just as our very own body, which we love so much and take it as our real identity.

So, if live is uncertain here, and we do not want to come back either in this valley of pain and tears, there is only one option left.

And that option is, to use the wealth of our breaths, to obtain and achieve the highest, and this can only be done, if we gather the wealth of Nam with each breath, whether in walking, eating, sitting or in any other daily activity of ours, in which the attention of mind is not required much.

So Sant Janas, Mahapurkhs, advise us, that while you can not change your destiny, you can change the future, which in due time wil become your destiny.

And that divine change, only we can make it, nobody can do that for us, each one has to do it for himself/herself. And that divine change is possible, as assured by Gurmukhs, who are the very embodiment of Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

This is the very reason, why the Bani is made and left for us humans, so that we understand ourselves, understand Him, and try to change the course of our future, by directing it to Sach Khand, His abode of eternal Truth, bliss and happiness.

And all this is only possible, if only we become aware of our true nature which is spiritual, that we belong to Him, and not to world full of "koorr".

Only when we become aware of this reality of ours, then only can we take the second step, which is to do something to achieve it, and that something is nothing than His Simran, as much as possible at all times, so that when we go from this world, Kal has nothing to tax, as he can only tax us on something gathered by maya, means karmas; but he can not tax us on the wealth which is far from his reach, which is the wealth of Naam.

So let us now think, is not Wahiguru all Dayalu?

With our efforts and inteligence, we collect dirt and dust of karmas, on the other side, with His Grace, by means of Naam Simran alone, we become a spiritual emperor like Him, by merging in Him.

Is this not the best thing Wahiguru can do for us His souls, irrespective of our good or bad karmas?

Why do we fail then to understand His utter Daya Meher on us?

When are we going to stop blaming Him?

We are moorakhs, mughads ...

He is attee Sundar, attee Ooouch, Apaar, Beant, Soami.

The most beautiful, the highest, beyond reach, limitless, the Lord of all.

Waheguru.

dear brother harsharan ji... all things u r saying are true but just want to know if every thing was written by god even before birth thn why do we work hard... just live at mercy of god... if he has written food in the life of individual thn he will get... second thing bro one can only understand these things if he is not hungry... world biggest reality is hunger... apart from this every body recites or meditate for personal reasons... some bdy for brahmgian , others for higher spiritual level, and low persons like me for getting lif on track. i just dont want anything .. just need my life on track before i loose my health or my parents.. my age is 26 and i have depression problem and cant sleep widout pills... same wid my mother... during extreme situations suicide seems to much easier than life.... no friend or relative is ready to stand wid me... bro in these conditions who will think of karmas... if we cant change them thn its better to die once rather thn daily.. sorry if said anything offensive .... wrote wat was in my mind....

Sat Sree Akal Jee,

dear brother harsharan ji... all things u r saying are true but just want to know if every thing was written by god even before birth thn why do we work hard... just live at mercy of god...

In my humble opinion, karmically everything is not written by God, but by Dharam Rai, who is dispenser of justice or administrates justice in the creation below Parbraham

if he has written food in the life of individual thn he will get...

Again we say if He has written food in life of the individual .... No, that is not correct . It is one´s karmas, which has written that paricular menu for each one of us. Remember, not He.

In the times of Krishna, the king Dhritrashtara who was bilnd since birth, once in the company of Krishna told him that with his yog taap, he had been able to go up to 99 lives back, and in none of them he could see any such karma for which he was blind in this life. So Krishna with his shakti, took him 5 lives still farther than his reach, and showed him how, that in that life, while he was a lad and playing near a pond, took someting pointed and took out the eyes of an insect ....

So you see, how and when karmas get worked out, that we shall never understand, untill we reach a certain stage of a consciousnness level. The thing is, everything, every action has a reaction, this is the principle on which the creation works on, but from a higher view, even this principle is filled with His grace.

The Bani says: only that heart and body is considered as low, in which there is no love for Wahiguru and His Naam.

second thing bro one can only understand these things if he is not hungry... world biggest reality is hunger... apart from this every body recites or meditate for personal reasons... some bdy for brahmgian , others for higher spiritual level, and low persons like me for getting lif on track. i just dont want anything .. just need my life on track before i loose my health or my parents..

All these reasons which you mention for the different purposes, are full of selfish motivations. Our realtion with Wahiguru, should be like the relation of a helpless child with its mother, that child knows none other, recognizes none other as its very own.

Tell me one thing, does one love one´s parents, because of that they can give you somethings, or is it because it is a natural flow of one´s heart towards them?

Does anyone need to teach us how to love one´s parents?

The answer is no.

Then why do we look at our heavenly Father with other motives? Why do not we realize, that it is our being away from Him, which is the very reason for all our miseries. He is not away from us at all, it is we who are away from Him, by turning our faces away from Him.

We look for Him in the skies, in waters, in the woods, in stones, in bricks, in papers, in metals.... in one word, in all lifless and perishable things, which have no spark of His.

It is within us according to Gurmat, where He is to be found, but alas, there nobody looks for Him.

So natrually inspite of having Him so near us, we are away of Him, then too, we blame Him for all our shortcomings, when we are the only ones at countless faults.

Just look at yourself, you are a living example in your present conditions, you have parents, they gave you life, but they can not do anything for you, but does that mean, you will stop loving them?

I can see your love for them, so then, if He has created us, is He not our Father? But, we think, we are wise, we know everything, and tend to forget Him, except when we are in distress. But the fact is, we are utter moorakhs.Our life is a mess due to our own merits, then too we turn away our faces from Him.

The thing is we tend to look at Him, like the genie of Aladino´s lamp, that He comes out and solves all our problems. That is not the right attitude. One fails to understand, that the creation works under certain laws, and these laws can not be modified by our choices or wills, as we corrupted people do in this world.

He is Perfect, and the laws which govern this creation, are also perfect, it is only we, who are imperfect by being so petty minded, and this is not because one is rich or poor, but because we turn away our faces from Him.

And this has a solution, it is to turn our faces towards Him, by His bhakti which is Naam Simran.

The Bani says: Sarab rog ka aukhad Naam. And this is verily true.

But we say, no no, let me get well first, then only I will take the medicine.

Is that not moorakhta?

So the thing is, love and devotion at His Lotus Feet are not difficult at all. Instead of just sitting, and having negative thoughts, why do we not take the better option and tell the mind, I will not follow you, because you make me feel miserable, rather I will think and meditate upon Him, who is the foutain of unlimited bliss and happniness.

It does not cost anyting, instead of being negative, just replace the idle and negative thoughts by doing His Simran, that is it, that much simple.

my age is 26 and i have depression problem and cant sleep widout pills... same wid my mother... during extreme situations suicide seems to much easier than life.... no friend or relative is ready to stand wid me... bro in these conditions who will think of karmas... if we cant change them thn its better to die once rather thn daily.. sorry if said anything offensive .... wrote wat was in my mind....

Do not feel sorry at all, because none of us can take as offensive, what you have said above. We fully understand you.

Do not even think of suicide, that is big sin. Think if while being alive, you are so fed up with your karmas, what will be the cosequences if you suicide?

It means, those karmas will not be erased by killing yourself, plus a new heavy sin will be added on your head, then your pain and anguish will be unbearbale; so be wise, and do not do any such nonsense.

So what if one dies? One has to die sooner or later one day. All wordly relations are nothing but karmic settlements, once they are paid off, each one goes his / her way.

The thing is, to do something while alive, without having to move about anywhere, or do anything physically hard, nor the need of any material items for His devotion, because the Simran has to be done by the mind.

If one is steady on this true devotion, than according to the pure paviter Bani of our Guru Sahibans, all type of hungers shall be satiated. These are their words, which are everlasting Truth.

If He wants, He can keep you alive on air alone, without any food or water, but of course, for that we have to do His Bhakti accordingly.

But again it should be clear in our minds, we should do His bhakti, not for the positive consequences, but for the sole purpose of loving Him.

Just tell Him one thing: Sachay Patshah, I do not ask any other thing from You, but that much I will surely ask You, that in whatever condition I may be, just do a little kirpa on me, that I may not be such shamefull, that I forget You, or even deny You, and leave Your door.

Waheguru.

May God bless you.

Edited by harsharan000

The main point in this thread, is the pain due to one´s karmas ....

But according to the Bani, though stated above already, some soothing words of Sachay Patshah Dhan Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj in Raag Sorath, filled with nectar , are brought in front of the sangat, for the purpose of treasuring them in our very minds and hearts, so that we may take the full advantage of them, by applying them in a practical way in our lives, not otherwise.

Here they are:

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਰਣ ਕਾਰਣ ਸਮਰਾਥਾ

Prabh Karan Kaaran Samaraathhaa

प्रभ करण कारण समराथा

God is Almighty, the Cause of causes.

ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਸਭੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਲਾਥਾ

Har Simarath Sabh Dhukh Laathhaa

हरि सिमरत सभु दुखु लाथा

Remembering the Lord in meditation, all pains and sorrows vanish.

First of all He is telling us, that we have to rely only on one Wahiguru Akal Purukh, none else, because He is the cause of all causes.

Secondly, He is telling us, that, our karmas, our destiny may be dirty and heavy, but if we turn our faces towards Him, by meditating on Him, through Naam Simran, all our sorrows and pains shall be simply dissolved.

This means, our karmas will not change their course nor purpose, but by putting ourselves at His Lotus Feet, through His Simran, we get His support and strength, to face them cheerfully, without any complaints, they just pass away unnoticed.

This is the mahanta, the wadeeayee of Wahiguru Akal Purukh and His Naam. Guru Jee clearly tells us, do not wait for your life to get straighten by itself because of your crooked karmas, rather take shelter at His Feet, by doing His Simran, only then you can walk with your head uplifted, without getting the terrible blows of your dirty and heavy karmas, because now one is covered with the shield of His Daya Meher.

Karmas will play their role, but His Daya meher will also play the role in a protective way. For that, we need not big nor plenty of words, but just one action, and that is His Simran.

One just gets pleasantly amazed, and a river of bliss starts flowing within, by reading the Bani and seeing, that inspite of so much uncertainity and stress at all levels, but if one as a child just gets hold of His finger(His Simran), He our Father, only then, protects us with His presence, at each and every step of ours.

What else do we need? So much Grace, so much Daya Meher is showered, and still we moorakhs, just complain, that too, when we are totally at fault... Shame on us ....

Waheguru.

Edited by harsharan000

• 1 month later...

Hello friends,i just want to add bout my situation here.I am too suffering from severe pains regarding health and this is really critical.I remember when I was about 14 ,I used to prayer o lord I only remember you when I need you Like when it's the exam time or any little worries.so please,keep me in such state in my entire life that I never forget you.At that time ,I was a kid.I didn't know much about life.Now the fact is I am continously in series of pains.It's been 3 years,I am critically ill at heath.I am suffering with throat problems.Intake of drugs is now for me to get rid of it.I m 19 now.Initially ,when I was diagnosed with such problems I used to get bothered.But then I remembered, No!it's a part of life and it's the waheguru's kirpa that i m getting familiar with the importance of life.Due to my health issues ,I lost my studies for a year.But by his grace,I am well fighting for it.I keep smiling all the time.

My friends dont believe that I am suffering this much.Even my doctor do appreciate me.But as man never gets satisfied,the only problem now is I dont want to take medicines anymore.I am in a situation like I am ignoring my health.I dont care much about it.yes ,It does pain a lot the whole day but Now I am like ok with it.I say let see how much It can persist.I know It can be cured with medicines,but I am not ok with it now.I mean ,I 've learnt how to live with it.I dunno whether I am doing right or not?

Edited by sukrit kaur

Yes,i do appreciate what you said.Thanks for giving me such beautiful example.I'll try to act upon it.May waheguru help me and all ones who are on wrong track in their lives.O lord!never let us to go in wrong direction..waheguru..

• 4 years later...
On 11/6/2014 at 3:40 AM, sukrit kaur said:

Hello friends,i just want to add bout my situation here.I am too suffering from severe pains regarding health and this is really critical.I remember when I was about 14 ,I used to prayer o lord I only remember you when I need you Like when it's the exam time or any little worries.so please,keep me in such state in my entire life that I never forget you.At that time ,I was a kid.I didn't know much about life.Now the fact is I am continously in series of pains.It's been 3 years,I am critically ill at heath.I am suffering with throat problems.Intake of drugs is now for me to get rid of it.I m 19 now.Initially ,when I was diagnosed with such problems I used to get bothered.But then I remembered, No!it's a part of life and it's the waheguru's kirpa that i m getting familiar with the importance of life.Due to my health issues ,I lost my studies for a year.But by his grace,I am well fighting for it.I keep smiling all the time.

My friends dont believe that I am suffering this much.Even my doctor do appreciate me.But as man never gets satisfied,the only problem now is I dont want to take medicines anymore.I am in a situation like I am ignoring my health.I dont care much about it.yes ,It does pain a lot the whole day but Now I am like ok with it.I say let see how much It can persist.I know It can be cured with medicines,but I am not ok with it now.I mean ,I 've learnt how to live with it.I dunno whether I am doing right or not?

Pen Jee,

though your post above is 5 years now, I can tell you that you have a very positive and a brave view about your situation.

It is true that, your pain is due to your past karam, which will go only when it is duely settled, but Pen Jee, Waheguru the all merciful has also given us the chance to mitigate that pain to an extent, so, you may continue taking the medicines, there is nothing wrong in it.

Like, if we are hungry, we go for food; if we are thirsty we want to drink water, in a similar way, if we are in pain we should take medicines.

Not that, Waheguru will come and feed us, or give us water, for that purpose He has given us sense of discrimination to use it in the right manner and for our own benefit.

Waheguru has never to blamed for any of our misfortunes or miseries, for it is  all our past karam, our own sown seeds...

At the same time, we should engage ourselves in doing His real Bhakti, for with it by His apaar kirpa, we may arise to certain consciouss level within, where even while going through heavy karam, we may not feel its effects.

Of course this is a very saintly state, yet we should go for it,  for we have nothing to loose, but at least be receptive to His apaar kirpa.

Stay blessed.

SSA.