Which Is The Actual Shape Of Our Turban?

sat sri akal ji,
I am new to this forum. So i would like to discuss a query related to the shape of the turban wore by sikh brothers at the present era of time. As we all are aware of today's style of wearing turban as there are various shapes and styles of wearing it. So, being a youth a question arises in my mind that 'which is the actual style and shape of the turban ordained by sikh gurus ?' And are we following that ?
I searched a number of turban training tutorials on web, and mostly all the results were showing the modern style dastaar which is also called 'Thokvi Pagg'. On the contrary,when we take a look at pictures of our sikh gurus they are not wearing the turban which is being wore by today's generation, instead they are wearing round turban.
So don't you think that we are neglecting the shape of turban which our guru sahibs used to wear ?
See the attachment also.
PLEASE DO REPLY. Sat Sri akal... Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh
please have a look of this picture and think

post-10314-0-34297700-1397584682_thumb.j

sat sri akal ji,
I am new to this forum. So i would like to discuss a query related to the shape of the turban wore by sikh brothers at the present era of time. As we all are aware of today's style of wearing turban as there are various shapes and styles of wearing it. So, being a youth a question arises in my mind that 'which is the actual style and shape of the turban ordained by sikh gurus ?' And are we following that ?
I searched a number of turban training tutorials on web, and mostly all the results were showing the modern style dastaar which is also called 'Thokvi Pagg'. On the contrary,when we take a look at pictures of our sikh gurus they are not wearing the turban which is being wore by today's generation, instead they are wearing round turban.
So don't you think that we are neglecting the shape of turban which our guru sahibs used to wear ?
See the attachment also.
PLEASE DO REPLY. Sat Sri akal... Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh
please have a look of this picture and think

In terms of historical tradition the mainstream turban is the Nok Pagh worn for centuries, and Saints would wear a Gol pagh. The Dumalla dastaar comes from the Panth Akali Nihangs. Then there is the recent Patiala/Shahi dastar AKA Sinteoo Pagh which the Maharajas used to tie.

Irrelevant question IMHO but this picture shows the various types .

post-2591-0-24806600-1397600980_thumb.jp

Edited by PAL 07

• 4 weeks later...

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki fateh

The shape of one turban does not indicate his/her spiritual status, it does not matter as such, but dumalla has benefits, like it keeps the head more stable and gives a overall protection, whereas the modern day Pagg, starts to pinch on the top (The point where we turn the pagg to give it "Thikhi/sharp" shape), and from that a wound could develop, the dumalla has a history behind it, please do refer the link below.

http://sarbattkhalsa.weebly.com/what-is-a-dumala.html

post-10329-0-57620500-1399696322_thumb.j

but dumalla has benefits, like it keeps the head more stable and gives a overall protection

BS. It depends on the individual turban.

the modern day Pagg, starts to pinch on the top

It can but any Pagri that doesn't have the characteristic -overlapping of larhs above the forehead - can avoid the pinch.

• 6 years later...
On 4/17/2014 at 2:27 PM, BhagatSingh said:

There's no right shape of a turban. It just depends on what the trend is. For example the modern Dumalla looks and ties nothing like the Dumallas that Mughals and Guru Sahibs used to wear.

Stop lying just cuz you can't wear a dumalla and you wear a normal pagg. 

Dumalla is the best, and looks the best if you do it right.