Out Of Body Experiences

the article states

Astral travel allows us to have a direct experience of God. It gives one an absolute knowingness that we are not our physical body or even our mind, and travel to the highest planes of consciousness.

From everything i've read in Gurbani and other writing of Saints, and my current experience of Simran so far, this line doesn't quite sit right with me...

Astral travel is just an experience of another of gods creations...it is still a product of the mind...a creation, so it cannot give us the experience of going beyond the mind...and therefore not give you a direct experience of God. you have to remain un-attached to this plane and move beyond it into the mental realm and beyond again etc

Yes, you very quickly realise that physical death is not the end of everything for you...that you continue beyond the death of the physical body, but you now have another body...and that body has a life span also, and from what i gather from experience so far...we can still feel sttachment, ego, desire, anger, greed, lust within that body

Also, from my very limited experience thus far, it seems there are many layers of the Astral Plane...lower layers that are experienced/atracted if your mindset is very negative and dark....and higher planes if you are doing your Simran and making effort to cleanse your mind and 5 thieves...naam Simran and the pull of the inner shabad will act like your express elevator taking you to the penthouse suite.

i have no doubt guru ji could astral travel and used it to show others the vastness of creation...and i have no doubt that Guru Ji can take people beyond creation and beyind the mind, into the formless :)

Edited by chzS1ngh

the article states

Astral travel allows us to have a direct experience of God. It gives one an absolute knowingness that we are not our physical body or even our mind, and travel to the highest planes of consciousness.

From everything i've read in Gurbani and other writing of Saints, and my current experience of Simran so far, this line doesn't quite sit right with me...

Astral travel is just an experience of another of gods creations...it is still a product of the mind...a creation, so it cannot give us the experience of going beyond the mind...and therefore not give you a direct experience of God. you have to remain un-attached to this plane and move beyond it into the mental realm and beyond again etc

Yes, you very quickly realise that physical death is not the end of everything for you...that you continue beyond the death of the physical body, but you now have another body...and that body has a life span also, and from what i gather from experience so far...we can still feel sttachment, ego, desire, anger, greed, lust within that body

Also, from my very limited experience thus far, it seems there are many layers of the Astral Plane...lower layers that are experienced/atracted if your mindset is very negative and dark....and higher planes if you are doing your Simran and making effort to cleanse your mind and 5 thieves...naam Simran and the pull of the inner shabad will act like your express elevator taking you to the penthouse suite.

i have no doubt guru ji could astral travel and used it to show others the vastness of creation...and i have no doubt that Guru Ji can take people beyond creation and beyind the mind, into the formless :)

Chaz Ji I have to disagree with some of what you wrote...

From my experiences with AP / EP while it's true that you are experiencing higher levels through other subtle bodies, there is the whole experience of what lies between those levels. It's not a direct experience... but more the knowledge that the subtle bodies are just more vehicles - but your consciousness remains intact. That means the part of you that is the experiencer, the 'doer' is not those subtle bodies at all. So it's realization through indirectly experiencing it. The direct experience with God comes from the realization that you yourself are formless... that everything is ONE, everything is the same one universal field of consciousness... therefore, the DOER in all of us is one and the same. You can experience this when you go higher (just look up a map to the planes of existence, the higher you go, the more detached and less 'personal' you become... until in the highest of realms, you actually experience ONEness. There was a GREAT diagram made by Tim Duerden based on knowledge from several spiritual paths, linking the subtle bodies to the planes, and showing where the limit of the 'personal self' etc is in the grand scheme of things... His site however is down, and I can't find it again. But there are others that illustrate it.

The way I explain OBEs: Nothing is leaving anything at all. YOU ARE. Imagine you are a radio. Only the radio is formless... basically you are pure consciousness. All that exists is pure frequency (even the physical... Einstein even said that matter is merely energy vibrating at a slow frequency) So you, the radio, are focused on only one radio station at a time... the physical, the etheric, the astral etc. You never left anything, you only 'tuned' into a higher frequency station. All stations, all frequencies however are ALWAYS received by the antenna... it's the tuner that choses the station. In our case in the physical world, as Einstein stated, low frequency = slow vibration = matter. The higher frequency you go, the higher 'stations' you tune into, you get more complex structures but less matter (for example, plasma, gases etc are higher frequency than solids). Watch an oscilloscope though as you change a pitch higher, the faster a wave vibrates, the closer the peak and trough become until you reach a point where it appears there is no more vibration, only one discrete frequency... it looks like a straight line instead of a wave. So eventually you go high enough to just experience the pure frequency itself = ONEness = God realization.

This is just a way I try to get the idea across... using a radio as comparison makes sense to me when we are talking frequency....

Chaz

I agree with you in that astral world is just another world. However you have to be on a certain spiritual level, to get there. So it's not the same as this world.

And I agree it's not a piece of cake to meet God in the astral world and it shouldn't be marketed that way. However it is possible.

I wana point you to the book Journeys out of the Body. In this book, Robert Munroe talks about seeing God on his journey of astral travelling.

He never learned to astral travel, it just hit upon him one day and all of a sudden he could astral travel. And he talks about his journeys out of the body and all the events that took place. He documented these in his diaries and then published it as a book.

Chaz

I agree with you in that astral world is just another world. However you have to be on a certain spiritual level, to get there. So it's not the same as this world.

And I agree it's not a piece of cake to meet God in the astral world and it shouldn't be marketed that way. However it is possible.

I wana point you to the book Journeys out of the Body. In this book, Robert Munroe talks about seeing God on his journey of astral travelling.

He never learned to astral travel, it just hit upon him one day and all of a sudden he could astral travel. And he talks about his journeys out of the body and all the events that took place. He documented these in his diaries and then published it as a book.

i will read the book...sounds interesting..

however lets agree to disagree here...

i will hold my opinion that the 'complete' experience/darshan of Waheguru (the formless) cannot be comprehended nor fully experienced in the 'form' for which the Astral realm is still part of...one must go beyind all form to have darshan of waheguru in formless (and the formless is the true aspect of waheguru that will not come to an end ever...

so all these wonderful books of people describing the Astral Realm with great detail and clarity and thinking they have experienced the complete 'truth' 'waheguru' in the Astral realm, i will always refuse to believe that.

I ask you this...all the juicy stuff in Gurbani...Guru Ji exploding with joy, bliss, love when darshan of Waheguru is described...why do you think they couldn;t describe this in great detail?

Astral travellers do a great job in describing their travells, write these amazing books full of detail...but Guru Ji couldn;t describe darshan of waheguru in all His spledour to us in great detail...

That should give us a hint...where the shabad will take us i am guessing, cannot be described...you cannot describe the formless with language and descriptions. Therefore giving people the idea that they can experience the complete truth in the Astral alone in my opinions is false...

like saying on my journey from the midlands to london, i can stop off in Oxford and exerience London...people start to think about oxford too much, and forget that is not where they will experience london...and if you're having trouble in getting to london...ask a friend to come up and show you the way down (shabad Guru)

Edited by chzS1ngh

Okay, I want to know are there any dangers of astral travel? Isn't it possible that the travel may psychologically affect the 'traveler'?

And are there any cases of possession? (I dont know If possession is even real, just saw it in the movie 'Insidous' :P)

two people with different mindsets can have very different views and experience whilst occupying the same street, town, city...

someone paranoid sitting in the same room as someone that isn't will generate a completely different experience of that same situation...

so do you think your mindset, state of mind will impact what you experience there?

a place where they say in many astral travel journals and books that your thoughts manifest waaaay faster than here on earth...what will manifest around you...what will you attract..what will you see...

therefore my friend...Naam Simran...and daily control of your 5 thieves and actions..

Naam Simran will open everything up for you, and you will be in the right frame of mind to advance and experience all that God has created and beyond..

Just my thoughts ji... a Very interesting subject indeed:)

Edited by chzS1ngh

two people with different mindsets can have very different views and experience whilst occupying the same street, town, city...

someone paranoid sitting in the same room as someone that isn't will generate a completely different experience of that same situation...

so do you think your mindset, state of mind will impact what you experience there?

a place where they say in many astral travel journals and books that your thoughts manifest waaaay faster than here on earth...what will manifest around you...what will you attract..what will you see...

therefore my friend...Naam Simran...and daily control of your 5 thieves and actions..

Naam Simran will open everything up for you, and you will be in the right frame of mind to advance and experience all that God has created and beyond..

Just my thoughts ji... a Very interesting subject indeed:)

Hmm..true that.

Chaz Ji I have to disagree with some of what you wrote...

From my experiences with AP / EP while it's true that you are experiencing higher levels through other subtle bodies, there is the whole experience of what lies between those levels. It's not a direct experience... but more the knowledge that the subtle bodies are just more vehicles - but your consciousness remains intact. That means the part of you that is the experiencer, the 'doer' is not those subtle bodies at all. So it's realization through indirectly experiencing it. The direct experience with God comes from the realization that you yourself are formless... that everything is ONE, everything is the same one universal field of consciousness... therefore, the DOER in all of us is one and the same. You can experience this when you go higher (just look up a map to the planes of existence, the higher you go, the more detached and less 'personal' you become... until in the highest of realms, you actually experience ONEness. There was a GREAT diagram made by Tim Duerden based on knowledge from several spiritual paths, linking the subtle bodies to the planes, and showing where the limit of the 'personal self' etc is in the grand scheme of things... His site however is down, and I can't find it again. But there are others that illustrate it.

The way I explain OBEs: Nothing is leaving anything at all. YOU ARE. Imagine you are a radio. Only the radio is formless... basically you are pure consciousness. All that exists is pure frequency (even the physical... Einstein even said that matter is merely energy vibrating at a slow frequency) So you, the radio, are focused on only one radio station at a time... the physical, the etheric, the astral etc. You never left anything, you only 'tuned' into a higher frequency station. All stations, all frequencies however are ALWAYS received by the antenna... it's the tuner that choses the station. In our case in the physical world, as Einstein stated, low frequency = slow vibration = matter. The higher frequency you go, the higher 'stations' you tune into, you get more complex structures but less matter (for example, plasma, gases etc are higher frequency than solids). Watch an oscilloscope though as you change a pitch higher, the faster a wave vibrates, the closer the peak and trough become until you reach a point where it appears there is no more vibration, only one discrete frequency... it looks like a straight line instead of a wave. So eventually you go high enough to just experience the pure frequency itself = ONEness = God realization.

This is just a way I try to get the idea across... using a radio as comparison makes sense to me when we are talking frequency....

thanks for the reply Satkirin,

Always a pleasure to read your posts...

some quick questions when you get a moment.

you said "The direct experience with God comes from the realization that you yourself are formless... that everything is ONE, everything is the same one universal field of consciousness... therefore, the DOER in all of us is one and the same" " It's not a direct experience... but more the knowledge that the subtle bodies are just more vehicles"

In all of your OBE's and Astral Travelling...have you experienced that formlessness? and therefore direct experience of GOD/your higher self? No...as you said it is NOT a direct experience but just helps in knowledge...creating a deeper theory into what might lie ahead...we still don;t know what lies ahead..but it gives us a small amount of insight...

So Astral travel plays a part...but not to the extent that Bhagat ji is stating...that one can have direct experience of God there...

you also said "You can experience this when you go higher (just look up a map to the planes of existence, the higher you go, the more detached and less 'personal' you become... until in the highest of realms, you actually experience ONEness."

So in reality you have stated yourself that you cannot experience formless reality (god/higher self) in the Astral realm...Astral realm is only a part of the journey ahead...

and through your OBE's and astral travelling...how do you intend to get to these higher realms where you will become even more subtle until finally you dip into the ultimate reality, your higher self...and the formless forever existing God Consciousness?

Are there road signs in the Astral Realm? where to go? how will you get there? and why have you not got there already?

so as Gurbani says, your faith, dyaan, attention, focus must be on the Shabad...on Naam Simran...on your interanal Guru / Guide...as the Shabad is the ONLY thing that can take you beyond physical, Astral, Causal, and whtever else there may be...because it comes from the SOURCE...it already knows the way home.

So for all the excitement and possibility of OBE's and Astral travelling...we cannot through our own efforts wandering in these realms find our way to the SOURCE by ourselves...only GURU can take us there.

And this is the reason why gurbani keeps things very clear and concise...surrender Ego to Waheguru, and put our minds on the Shabad via Naam Simran which will be our Sat Nav. that should in my opinion be our only aim and effort...to put our arm out and surrender in the hope Guru Ji (shabad) comes and pulls us up...

wandering in the Astral Realm without our Guru/Guide will not get us any closer to Waheguru...in Fact we are more likely to get lost just like in this world without Guru/Guide because we are still influenced by the 5 thieves there also :)

Edited by chzS1ngh

Chaz JI, you are referring to the Astral level only, when there are many more above it... Physical -- etheric -- astral -- mental --

So to say that the Astral realm is limited --- well yes it is... because the astral level is only a small portion of what exists. You can't experience ONEness in the astral level, but you can in levels much higher.

How do you ascend to higher levels? You have to raise your frequency to detune the astral level and tune into a higher level. And remember that consciousness is pure frequency so you have it within you. Also remember that love / caring etc are emotions which have a higher brainwave frequency... while anger and jealousy and fear cause lower brainwaves... so that is a starting point and also why seva helps. Its why those who are angry and fearful and jealous have much trouble progressing spiritually at least until they resolve the conflict.

And yes, I have experienced at least briefly the feeling of ONEness before, and while connected in that state, I lost connection to any sort of form. It was like I was the smallest pin point of consciousness, but at the same time I was everywhere. However it was very brief... I did experience the level above astral once... but never again after that one time.

Also, you ARE part of that source! YOU already know the way there.... you are NOT something separate from the creator. THAT'S the illusion...

you said "The direct experience with God comes from the realization that you yourself are formless... that everything is ONE, everything is the same one universal field of consciousness... therefore, the DOER in all of us is one and the same" " It's not a direct experience... but more the knowledge that the subtle bodies are just more vehicles"

In all of your OBE's and Astral Travelling...have you experienced that formlessness? and therefore direct experience of GOD/your higher self? No...as you said it is NOT a direct experience but just helps in knowledge...creating a deeper theory into what might lie ahead...we still don;t know what lies ahead..but it gives us a small amount of insight...

So Astral travel plays a part...but not to the extent that Bhagat ji is stating...that one can have direct experience of God there...

you also said "You can experience this when you go higher (just look up a map to the planes of existence, the higher you go, the more detached and less 'personal' you become... until in the highest of realms, you actually experience ONEness."

So in reality you have stated yourself that you cannot experience formless reality (god/higher self) in the Astral realm...Astral realm is only a part of the journey ahead...

and through your OBE's and astral travelling...how do you intend to get to these higher realms where you will become even more subtle until finally you dip into the ultimate reality, your higher self...and the formless forever existing God Consciousness?

Are there road signs in the Astral Realm? where to go? how will you get there? and why have you not got there already?

so as Gurbani says, your faith, dyaan, attention, focus must be on the Shabad...on Naam Simran...on your interanal Guru / Guide...as the Shabad is the ONLY thing that can take you beyond physical, Astral, Causal, and whtever else there may be...because it comes from the SOURCE...it already knows the way home.

So for all the excitement and possibility of OBE's and Astral travelling...we cannot through our own efforts wandering in these realms find our way to the SOURCE by ourselves...only GURU can take us there.

And this is the reason why gurbani keeps things very clear and concise...surrender Ego to Waheguru, and put our minds on the Shabad via Naam Simran which will be our Sat Nav. that should in my opinion be our only aim and effort...to put our arm out and surrender in the hope Guru Ji (shabad) comes and pulls us up...

wandering in the Astral Realm without our Guru/Guide will not get us any closer to Waheguru...in Fact we are more likely to get lost just like in this world without Guru/Guide because we are still influenced by the 5 thieves there also :)

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Chaz JI, you are referring to the Astral level only, when there are many more above it... Physical -- etheric -- astral -- mental --

So to say that the Astral realm is limited --- well yes it is... because the astral level is only a small portion of what exists. You can't experience ONEness in the astral level, but you can in levels much higher.

How do you ascend to higher levels? You have to raise your frequency to detune the astral level and tune into a higher level. And remember that consciousness is pure frequency so you have it within you. Also remember that love / caring etc are emotions which have a higher brainwave frequency... while anger and jealousy and fear cause lower brainwaves... so that is a starting point and also why seva helps. Its why those who are angry and fearful and jealous have much trouble progressing spiritually at least until they resolve the conflict.

And yes, I have experienced at least briefly the feeling of ONEness before, and while connected in that state, I lost connection to any sort of form. It was like I was the smallest pin point of consciousness, but at the same time I was everywhere. However it was very brief... I did experience the level above astral once... but never again after that one time.

Also, you ARE part of that source! YOU already know the way there.... you are NOT something separate from the creator. THAT'S the illusion...

agree with everything you say..

but we must pay very close attention to the following:

'Without the True Guru, no one has found Him; reflect upon this in your mind and see'

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=112

Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, the Lord is found; without the Shabad, people wander, deceived by doubt.

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=110

So although 'deep down' we already know the way there, under the deep illusion we are in, the way cannot be seen. The Ego sense is so strong in all of us even the ones doing Astral travelling, that one cannot find their way themseves...only the Shabad Guru from our original source has the power to take us to the primal state, nothing else...the moment we think we can do this ourselves, it is a sure sign we are still very much in Ego existance.

We will spend years trying to go higher under Ego illusion...getting frustrated, having some joy, then more frustration...in the end only inner complete surrender (destruction of Ego) will allow us to hear the shabad that will literally 'pull' us through all layers...shabad is all by His grace and by His grace only...

• 2 weeks later...

For the past many days, I've been trying very hard for Out-Of-Body experiences; but it seems like some Spiritual energy is blocking me for those experiences. Obviously, I was not happy and was complaining to my Guru in my mind.

And then since yesterday, I started seeing answers to my questions/frustrations via some Spiritual Kathas I was listening to. You can call it coincidences but in my understanding, there are no coincidences, it's someone (God's forces) helping you to understand something by placing you at the right time and right place and then offering you the understanding.

So, I understood that what I had already experienced twice is NOT the same what I'm trying to experience for the past couple of days. There's a big difference in those.

What I was trying now is to be out-of-body and travel places, but in this technique a silver cord (or some thread) is attached between the physical body and the body which is outside; it means that one has to take care of that cord as it should not break otherwise I can't get back to body. Secondly, I need to understand that the physical body needs to be protected from negative forces while I'm away on my travels.

But there is another out-of-body experience which does not involve the silver cord and there is no fear of losing the thread and/or body. But it is possible NOT with the force or hard-work, it is the raising of the consciousness and is dependent on the Guru's Kirpa/Grace.

Now, it finally made sense to me why I was blocked from my experiments. So, the lesson learnt is: There is 2 out-of-body experiences: One is real out-of-body where we actually come out-of-physical body but still attached to it via some cord/thread; Another is where we (may be Soul or may be some astral body or may be mind) actually travels to some other place but here there is no physical connection between the body who travelled with the physical body.

It has happened in the past also. There were many times in the past, when I try some risky/dangerous techniques/knowledge but I was always either blocked and then taught the right OR simply got instructions to stop. I love to take risks because I believe that the Guru is watching over me and will stop me going to wrong direction. But it seems like I should be careful because Guru's main concern is our Spiritual progress and if we always chose risk, Guru might choose to end our current life and give us another life where we would not do risky things as a habit, but in the process the current family member suffers.

Just sharing something that came to my mind.

I read all.It seems very interesting.I have never experienced like this.I usually experience somethings which are very strange.I feel as it is happening and at same other time i realise no it's only a dream.Then i say in my mind that no!,nothing happened..i dont know anything about it.anyways..

In 1st para you wrote ,"i was not happy and complaining to my guru in mind".Here i got excited.what did you mean as guru there?I mean really you have such approach.i know it's not right to question this.But i want to know about it..

• 3 weeks later...

That must've been scary!!!

One of my fears with OBE is my fear of heights. It makes me shudder just thinking about it...

Any fear will prevent you from from having a full OBE...the fear will bring you back.

but like any fear..it dissolves once you've tried something a few times...you get used to it...

i get scared before getting on a roller coaster...the second time it's less scary...and then after it's not scary at all...as you get used to the sensations..

Also...maybe your fear of height is due to a sum of your physical senses? you might not feel those same sensations when you OBE with your astral body. Simran is 'remembering'... so if we need to 'remember' something it means we have forgotton something...something that we used to do before...

so you will surely get the hang of it...because you've done it before...but have just forgotton :)

My fear of heights is in thoughts. It does have a root in my body, because my body will respond to the thoughts. E.g. shudder or feel uncomfortable.

Yeah that's probably how it is,like roller coasters.

PS has anyone tried meditating on a roller coaster, to see what that feels like. Get really sensitive to the body and then ride a big one...

My fear of heights is in thoughts. It does have a root in my body, because my body will respond to the thoughts. E.g. shudder or feel uncomfortable.

Yeah that's probably how it is,like roller coasters.

PS has anyone tried meditating on a roller coaster, to see what that feels like. Get really sensitive to the body and then ride a big one...

urm, i think i'll just stick with the 'sitting on the couch' meditation lol

sometimes that is also like a rollercoaster :)

Haha same. Couch meditation is scary enough as it is.

It's all about getting clarity. I remember when I rode a rollercoaster, at that moment, the mind became quite clear. As the feeling of being so riding so high and being shaken about with such force, while riding, overwhelmed my thoughts, and in those moments I was empty.

It's a very crude method for obtaining clarity however. Instead of stilling the mind to achieve a greater aliveness in the body, it's the other way around. You shaken up the body and make it obvious to the mind, that the body is alive, and overwhelm the mind with all those sensations, that it has no option but to let go for a moment to take it all in.

I can share my grandfathers out of body experience here..suddenly when meditating and japping he started hearing a loud noise like wind or helicopters sound..then he could felt as if something is pulling him up in air..he got scared and opened his eyes and what he saw was his body down at bed sitting in a meditative pose..and after that he just felt like he was pulled up at a fast speeed when he was a experiencing a kind of tunnel sensstion and then he saw a small white light expanding and coming near towards him.and then he totally entered into the light and he could feel as if he became that vast expansive white light all over..few minutes and suddenly felt a falling like sensation and bhumm..he was back into the body.. he opened his eyes and he could see his dark room (lights closed) Full of light..this light started fading after a minute and everything got normal..he often says that this cant be dream..he could feel the whole of that experience very real and he still remembers evry bit of it

That sounds like dasam duar was just about to open, but the fear bringing the person away.

This is why it is imperative to have the shabad as the only single dhyian.

That must've been scary!!!

One of my fears with OBE is my fear of heights. It makes me shudder just thinking about it...

It's not as scary as you think !..............

The experience is a little different because you are in control of your elevation.

When you are scared of heights(I am too!!)...... we get scared because of whatever we are standing on for support, creates doubt. It feels as though we lose the sense of stability and the height or altitude seems to over ride the senses instead.

When hovering in your weightless form, you feel quite stable as you know there is not enough body weight for gravity to pull you down.

It's probably the knowing about the height and fall that can occur due to gravity that creates a fear.

Also when having an OBE, as soon as you create a fear or start thinking about anything to do with your ego and the maya illusion...then you immediately shoot back into your physical body without notice.

This is because fear and thoughts of anything structural produces negative vibrations. I would say that these negative vibrations are like weight that hold you down and prevent you ascending.

The most positive vibration is the shabad connection and gurmantar jap.

Edited by Lucky