Define KAAM (Lust or Desire?) ?

Kaam is sometimes confused with love..................Kaam is just wanton sexual gratification for the sake of it..............it is sex without love...........peverse sexual fantasies....etc it does not mean it is a condemnation of people who have sex but are in true Love with each other................Kaam can lead to people lusting after other peoples partners.............or having sex with people that is "immoral"...........................Kaam again leads inevitably to suffering...........

there was a guru granth sahib quote that said love for another person is false and a dellusion........maybe someone knowledgable here can remember it and quote it

I think you are talking about attachement to loved one's................you can love someone.............but not to the extent you lose all your sense of reasoning................

1. i havent got that dictionary :(

2. im not a bahman so i wouldnt use it...lol

nah i think all type of love is wrong really.....love is attatchment....and sikhs must stay in the midst of the impure society totally unattatched

What about Love for God KS?.......you ever seen Star Wars...........in that they talk about loving someone is Ok......so long as you are not attached............

Khalsa Soulja:

2. im not a bahman so i wouldnt use it...lol

What's being a "bahman" got to do with using a Sanskrit dictionary?Please explain.There's nothing wrong in you using any kind of dictionary, be it Sanskrit or Swahili.

A fair understanding of Sanskrit will hold you in good stead in your Gurbani studies.There are many Sanskrit, Prakrit, Pali (related to Pali, Buddhist vocabulary) words in Gurbani.You shouldn't be closed minded.It resrticts you otherwise.Teri marzi Khalsa Ji. :roll:

• 1 month later...

SGGS about Kaam : (hay kaamaN narak bisraamaN baho jonee bharmaavneh.O sexual desire, you lead the mortals to hell; you make them wander in reincarnation(in this life ATMAK DEATH) through countless species. chit harnaN tarai lok gam-yaN jap tap seel bidaarneh.You cheat the consciousness, and pervade the three worlds. You destroy meditation, penance and virtue. alap sukh avit chanchal ooch neech samaavneh.But you give only shallow pleasure, while you make the mortals weak and unsteady; you pervade the high and the low. tav bhai bimuNchit saaDh sangam ot naanak naaraa-ineh. ||46||Your fear is dispelled in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, O Nanak, through the Protection and Support of the Lord. ||46|| p-1358)

Lust is the origin of sin.

I M quoteing a conversation between Lord Krishna & Arjuna during

Mahabharat to explain my viewpoint on the subject & for some conceptual proof...

Arjun said: O Krishn, what impels one to commit sin as if unwillingly and forced against one’s will? (3.36)

The Lord Krishna said: It is lust (Kaam), born out of passion (Rajo Guna), that becomes anger (when unfulfilled). Lust is insatiable and is a great devil. Know this as the enemy. (3.37) As the fire is covered by smoke, as a mirror by dust, and as an embryo by the amnion, similarly Self-knowledge (BrahmJnaan) becomes obscured by lust. ( 3.38 ) O Arjun, Self-knowledge (Brahm-jnaan) becomes covered by this insatiable fire of lust, the eternal enemy of the wise. (3.39) The senses, the mind, and the intellect are said to be the seat of lust (Kaam). Kaam --- by controlling the senses, the mind, and the intellect --- deludes a person by veiling Self-knowledge (Jnaan). (3.40) Therefore, O Arjun, by controlling the senses first, kill this devil of material desire that destroys Self-knowledge and Self-realization. (3.41)

How to control lust

The senses are said to be superior to the body; the mind is superior to the senses; the intellect is superior to the mind; and Atma (Spirit) is superior to the intellect. Thus, knowing the Self (Atma) to be superior to the intellect, and controlling the mind by the intellect (that is purified by spiritual practices), one must kill this mighty enemy, lust (Kaam).

So it is quite logistic & possible that we can control our lust if we have control on our mind & senses.

JOY(ce)

Guest Javanmard

What's so wrong with human love. Wouldn't be more honest to talk of human loves. Some "human"loves go to such a high degree that God can be experienced even there. To equal that with lust is a bit too simplistic!

What's so wrong with human love. Wouldn't be more honest to talk of human loves. Some "human"loves go to such a high degree that God can be experienced even there. To equal that with lust is a bit too simplistic!

Ahem...I didn't actually say there is anything wrong with human love.

:roll: