Disappearing Daughters: India's Female Feticide

mamta mohan

......I was forced to believe earlier on India is a number one country in everything by Sher and Amandeep Hindustani by the way they glossed over all the evils that still exist in this shitty country! These two idiots need to wake up and taste the garam masaala and onion bhajee. May be they have been eating too many vindaloos.

People without countries can easily say that. It's like a bum looking into the window of a small apartment. Not that you can do any better you've already turned Vancouver, Toronto and England into crap holes. You would have done the same in Punjab unless a certain lady decided to lay the smack down and restore the sanctity of the harmandir. After that it's been all surrender for you guys.

A book from the mid-19th century Indian infanticide: its origin, progress, and suppression By John Cave-Browne clearly states that the tradition of killing daughters in Sikh goes back to the days of Baba nanak. Bedis/Bedees would kill each and every girl born in their sub-caste.

Are you effing serious?

A book written at the same time as the dubious 'annexation' of Panjab by white kootay (which just so happens to disparage a community that has been attacked) is being used uncritically as evidence!!

And if Bedis were up to this stuff, it just shows you how enlightened Baba Nanak's comments on females were given this context!

Screw John Cave-Browne, that phudhoo needs to look closer to home at the abuses of poor orphans and whatnot in the UK, (most of the females of which became prostitutes!). Read some Dickens and fill yourself in.

Edited by dalsingh101

You should open up your eyes:

Whilst these people (wasps) were jumping around in India lecturing; they had enough evils of their own going on at home.

Workhouses for the poor with the most horrific conditions. Orphanages where abuses were rampant. Child labour and child prostitution was all going on in England at the same time they were 'civilising' us and lecturing about our savagery.

Look at how TODAY, they've been turning a blind eye to rampant sexual abuse of vulnerable girls, even covering it up:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/missing-rotherham-abuse-scandal-files-fuel-public-suspicion-of-a-deliberate-coverup-9802307.html?origin=internalSearch

I'm just warning you not to take white man's comments on face value. There is usually ulterior motives and hypocrisy behind everything they say and do.

That all being said: all of us, Hindus and Sikhs should be ashamed of female infanticide. It's straight fudhoo to point at another community doing it when you have it going on in your backyard as well.

what was happening in whitey's world in mid 19th century is irrelevant in my op. what is happening in today's WASP world, again, is as irrelevant as are the developments in Iraq and Syria.

Well you carry on burying your head in the sand. All things are interlinked. So before you start quoting x, y and z European source, put it in context.

we (punjab aharyana Rajasthan) are world's worst kurrimars and there is absolutely no excuse for that. We had/have a serious problem worsened by ultra-sound technology. Earlier we had female infanticide and now we ALSO have female foeticide.

These are long standing problems related to all manner of issues like land inheritance, twisted aspects of honor culture, dowry, patriarchy, even twisted matriarchs!

This problem crosses over religious boundaries too.

Until we stop seeing females as a liability, it's going to continue. On the flip side the (increasingly apparent) vulnerability of females in male dominated societies (even ones pretending not to be - like England!) doesn't appear to be anything that is going to resolve itself soon.

Until there is an 'uncoupling' of the concept of family honor with the female vagina, females are likely to continue to be seen as liabilities. Frankly speaking, given what I've seen in the UK with rampant abuse, the idea that girls are susceptible and vulnerable to predatory, devious, malicious males isn't one without foundation.

If having girls is seen as a 'headache' by some, we need to work collectively to alleviate this.

"warning", prolly you would like to rephrase.

What the hell does that mean?

Edited by dalsingh101

This practice comes from a time when we sent our vulnerable men and boys to die en masse in battlefields.

So we do need to look at it in context of the circumstances at the time.

From the article, I find this statement particularty interesting:

Because of infanticide's intrinsic private nature (occurring within the women's quarters of households, and performed by midwives and family matrons),

Notice how it's kshatriyas/warrior clans, whose women are killing their girls. It sounds to me like a way of balancing the population of boys and girls amongst warrior families.

I find it interesting that we are all happy to denounce killing of girls but I find noone is denouncing the killing of boys. And there is no help for depressed young men. Suicide rate is the highest amongst our Indian boys.

http://ncrb.nic.in/CD-ADSI-2012/suicides-11.pdf

Edited by BhagatSingh

No Sher, that Dharam Chand portion doesn't explain anything. How does insult to brothers lead to him calling for infanticide? There is no connection present in the quoted portion. It's either missing parts of the story or made up to insult Guru Nanak Dev ji.

Let's assume he said it.

At a time when everyone is doing it already, his words literally have no power. So whether or not he says it, doesn't mean anything if everyone is already doing it. Catch my drift?

So it sounds like it is made up to insult Guru Nanak Dev ji... which is exactly what we'd expect from Christian missionaries of the time. They attacked everything Indian, as much as they could. This is what Dally was trying to tell you.

Anyway, back to the article.

Aspects of hypergamy, associated with sanskritization....

Wrong.

Hypergamy is embedded in the female nature. it has nothing to do with sankritization. This is a strong need in women. They are not attracted to men who have less resource, or earn less than them. Hence they won't marry such men below them on the social ladder. they only marry up.

The modern women in the west are experiencing exactly this, without any influence from hindu culture. We are witnessing a surge of either single mothers (who husband is the rich state) or unmarried women who "cannot find a good man", in western countries. Western divorced women tend to marry up, their new partner tends to be richer than the previous one. (Whereas divorced men tend to marry down.)

This is not just a random occurrence. This is due to women's tendency to be hypergamous.

an anomalous situation of unmarried girls at the very top of the social hierarchy

And so it seems like female infanticide was catering to the female need to marry up in the social ladder.

Which explains why the older females, the mid wives are killing off their young girls. It is a selfish process designed to resolve the problem of unmarried women at the top of social ladder.

At the bottom of the pile too, where men did not find brides

We have a similar situation... albeit more worse for men. That is slavery and manual labour for those at the bottom of the social ladder. Both slavery and manual labour involve dangerous life-threatening work. In the west, we see thousands of men die in dangerous workplaces e.g. coal mines, construction and fishing.

Again I would like to repeat.

I find it interesting that we are all happy to denounce killing of girls but I find noone is denouncing the killing of boys.

We are sensitive to one topic but completely desensitized to the latter. Why is that Sher?

Honour in Punjabi society, as in many others, has the peculiar quality of being embedded in women’s bodies while augmenting male pride

What's missing from this equation is sexual selection.

Would a woman want to marry into a house whose men don't preserve honour? Is it entirely male pride without any influence from women? I don't think so. Women are the epicenter of these traditions in so-called "male dominated societies".

Their need for resources, for safety, ie for a secure nesting ground, and their power in sexual selection, puts them in charge of many of these traditions.

The men writing these articles are not aware that it's a back and forth, a yin and yang. These guys cannot see this, they have a lop-sided view of reality.

i m wasting time trying to encourage fanatics to use logic and research data to argue their point.

These guys have scored a self-goal and are busy celebrating it with gusto we often associate with unlettered idiots.

Read

Son Preference: Sex Selection, Gender and Culture in South Asia

By Navtej K. Purewal

female foeticide and infanticide is centuries old tradition in sikhs and punjabis. A book from the mid-19th century Indian infanticide: its origin, progress, and suppression By John Cave-Browne clearly states that the tradition of killing daughters in Sikh goes back to the days of Baba nanak. Bedis/Bedees would kill each and every girl born in their sub-caste.

This link gives you the recorded history of Khatri sikhs killing their daughters

http://www.global.ucsb.edu/punjab/journal_12_1/5_major.pdf

Go through this and then we would gradually move to the 21st century where Punjab continues to be the worst offender (except some very small states or Union territories) in female foeticide and infanticide.

You don't need books and research paper for every topic. Use your brain. If majority of sikhs or Punjabi's were killing daughters in 1850s then how come Punjab's population was increasing. From where the female population who use to give birth was cominjg. may be 5-10% were involved in killing their daughters but rest did nothing

You don't need books and research paper for every topic. Use your brain. If majority of sikhs or Punjabi's were killing daughters in 1850s then how come Punjab's population was increasing. From where the female population who use to give birth was cominjg. may be 5-10% were involved in killing their daughters but rest did nothing

Solid point.

But I'd think people would still make a big deal out it.

an anomalous situation of unmarried girls at the very top of the social hierarchy

I wonder if these 5-10% of people are from very top of the social hierarchy

Fair point, it could be migrant workers coming to Punjab from other states.

Also, population of Indian has been increasing over the years. 17.5% of the world population live in India, compare that to the U.S., 4.43%.

Asia

Asia is home to 60 percent of global population. China and India account for more than half of Asia’s total population. China’s total fertility rate is a very low 1.5 children per woman. Should China become concerned about population aging and relax its strict “one-child” policy, projections of China’s population may have to be raised. In India, the TFR has fallen from about 5.5 children in the past to 2.4 today. But doubts about the future course of the birth rate in India’s heavily populated and impoverished northern states make projections challenging. Nonetheless, India is projected to pass China in population size in about 15 years, becoming the world’s most populous country, about 1.5 billion people.

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2013/2013-world-population-data-sheet/data-sheet.aspx#map/world/population/2013

All I know on the topic, is my starch pagg wearing comrade king tarkhans, emperors of the forest and all its trees never practiced this despicable tradition.

It was only the phuddu so called high castes, if they don't want their daughters why not marry them to a real tarkhan like me?

Why do Jatt get all the bahmanis?

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by starchpagg47

SSA

Das looking for good deal on maava. Have ju got any connection from kenya ?

VJKK VJKF

All I know on the topic, is my starch pagg wearing comrade king tarkhans, emperors of the forest and all its trees never practiced this despicable tradition.

It was only the phuddu so called high castes, if they don't want their daughters why not marry them to a real tarkhan like me?

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, the dalsingh101 have berry good connection.

SSA

TARKHANISTAN ZINDABAD

JAI RAMGARHIA

PUTT TARKHANA DE BHANN DE MAVVAY DE OI PAGGRAYYY

OII BRUAHHHH

Edited by starchpagg47

What's missing from this equation is sexual selection.

Would a woman want to marry into a house whose men don't preserve honour? Is it entirely male pride without any influence from women? I don't think so. Women are the epicenter of these traditions in so-called "male dominated societies".

Their need for resources, for safety, ie for a secure nesting ground, and their power in sexual selection, puts them in charge of many of these traditions.

The men writing these articles are not aware that it's a back and forth, a yin and yang. These guys cannot see this, they have a lop-sided view of reality.

If the women of your family, have to implore you to defend your honor, you should stop calling yourself a Jatt.

Go become a Christian

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾ । ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ । ।

Nothing wrong with being christian. We are all equal. I'll convert to whatever religion who give me job. OLnly goal is money.

If the women of your family, have to implore you to defend your honor, you should stop calling yourself a Jatt.

Go become a Christian

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾ । ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ । ।