It rather upsets me that homosexuality is criminal in India. Conversely, America has made great progress regarding same-sex marriage. But here's my question -- what are the opinions on it in the Sikh community? I really want to believe that it's accepted in Sikhism, and that there is no stigma or hate regarding it...but I have a feeling that I'll only be let down. Thoughts?

I really want to believe that it's accepted in Sikhism, and that there is no stigma or hate regarding it...but I have a feeling that I'll only be let down. Thoughts?

You've guessed right. You will be let down.

Though we have closet gays like all communities, open homosexuality is unheard of.

No stigma or hate in Sikhism but the mass uneducated 'Sikh' community will crucify you for it and justify their actions with imaginary laws they've invented.

Having said that the sikh way is to attack 5 thieves, which includes desire, subset of which is sexual desire. But that applies to everyone whether you're homo, hetero, bi or like sticking things in sheep.

Edited by ragnarok

No stigma or hate in Sikhism but the mass uneducated 'Sikh' community will crucify you for it and justify their actions with imaginary laws they've invented.

Having said that the sikh way is to attack 5 thieves, which includes desire, subset of which is sexual desire. But that applies to everyone whether you're homo, hetero, bi or like sticking things in sheep.

You should maybe refrain from using the term Sikhism and use Sikhi instead?

I think Sikhism is the more modern Anglo-influenced construct, whereas Sikhi is the way of life and worldview propagated by our Gurus.