The Matrix

Guest Javanmard

Guest Javanmard

The Matrix has more to offer than just fantastic fighting scenes. It has a deep philosophical aspect to it. There seem do be two main inspiration: Nietzsche (Will to Power, Zarathrusta, ABove Good and Evil) and Indian Philosophical thought (mainly Buddhism, Vedanta etc.)

How do we as Sikhs read this movie?

As a film, I think The Matrix is average.It's got it's real emotive moments, like the end where Neo comes back to life, I really connected with that.He comes back to life after "dieing," just like an aspirant of Truth has to "die" to live, as in LIVE.

It is said that the mind confuses death (falsehood, incarnation into duality/Maya) for life (Reality), and life for death, this is what we see in The Matrix.

But, one thing about The Matrix is that it plagiarises Mystical/Spiritual doctrine so much, and doesn't give any credence to the sources (Eastern Mysticism, Gnosticism etc).You don't have to delve that deeply either to understand the films "deeper" message :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Well, I hope it inspired many ignorant people to become interested in spiritual pursuits, maybe even read on Eastern Mysticism.

Imagine if there was a film that used Sri Guru Granth Sahib as it's main source, maybe not blatantly, but the credits would show Guru Granth Sahib as the source.Sikhi really needs to break into the mainstream world like this.Look at all the poeple who became Buddhists after watching Hollywood films with a Buddhists theme (I forget which films :oops: ).We need a film like this, with a Sikhi theme.I reckon in time we will have one or two or more :D Peoples minds will be blown at the Truth of Sikhi.We need to expose ourselves more!!We EXIST!

"The Matrix",is simply one illusion seen from another illusion that is equally as unreal...

..so what makes it so appealing?

Does the "Real" reality possess Samsung cell phones too? :LOL:

LOL @ Samsung mobile phone.

The matrix.

Take the red pill and stay in the dark. Take the blue pill and You will see the truth. What is the pill related to nowadays.......

Once you in the Matrix, things mess up even more, is what you are studying real, or just a figment of you imagination. Are you really in the matrix, Are you being played by the matrix or is the matrix playing you.

Whos in control. Do the rules Apply, Are there any Rules??? Can you do anything?? Without the matrix you are a robot, but once in the matrix are you still a robot or a free spirit. To all others you seem like a robot, but you know that you and some selected others know that you arnt.

Who's the Robot?? Me or You...

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

good topic...

I was recently lucky enough to speak to some Sikhs and one of them was talking about the film 'The Matrix' and like lalleshvari ji has said it has a deep philosophical aspect to it and after listening to a Singh talk about it I also agree.

The Matrix is like Kalyug. It feeds from the brains of humans (or whatever else it feeds of, can't remember :? ) and us as humans on this earth are in essense in a matrix, kalyug represents the matrix and kalyug is feeding from us. The more we give into the 5 vices (kaam, krodh etc etc) the stronger this kalyug matrix becomes...

When a person who has done their Paath/Bhagti/Simran is blessed with salvation (may not be the best word to use but can't think of another one :? ) they like Neo in the film they are able to leave the kalyug matrix.

Now when this person is able to leave it, like Neo he/she is able to tell/inform other people how this is done much like the Sants and Mahapursh's who are present in our kalyug matrix. So in essense one liberated soul can show another one the way.

In the film, there are agents present who are there to stop people leaving the matrix, because as people leave it, thats one less person that the matrix can get energy/power from and there are agents to put a stop to this. In a similar way, in our kalyug matrix we have agents in the form of the 5 vices. They tempt you and more so that you won't leave the matrix.

I'm not sure if this is answering the actual topic of the post but I'd thought I'd share this with you all and I hope it makes sense :P

Remeber in Matrix Reloaded, wen Neo finds a hiddern door? Dis kidda relates 2 sikhi aswell. Remeber dat der r 10 tresures of da Human Body, but da 10th treasure is kept hiddern!! U kno, dis is were u can b 1 wid da Architect (Or in non Matrix film form, God).

Also in Matrix Reloaded, U know Neo was fighting Smith and he kept on multiplying. Well now tink of Neo as bring u trying 2 get mukti, and Smith is ur ego ("Yes, Me, Me, Me"), fighting ur ego is really hard!

• 4 weeks later...

The Matrix has more to offer than just fantastic fighting scenes. It has a deep philosophical aspect to it. There seem do be two main inspiration: Nietzsche (Will to Power, Zarathrusta, ABove Good and Evil) and Indian Philosophical thought (mainly Buddhism, Vedanta etc.)

How do we as Sikhs read this movie?

Waah... One of my favourite topic of discussion with friends once!!! I watched only the firstg part and second part..well.. i will be making some arrangements soon. I appriciate you for this post. Thiugh, so far, i have not mixed sikh religion angle in my thoughts/views on this movie. T

his movie may be very close to the reality.. This world is nothing but a Matrix (Mritulok or MayaLok), We human being are nothing but energy boxes made up of many elements ( say like, water,earth,fire,air etc). This world like, Matrix, is illusion and we human being are programmed. Everybody has a code and executes that code.. takes in or takes out the energy. That code is our destiny and its bound to happen. Also, This code has some variables.... whose values are decided on run-time.. and That is where.. "Karma" comes in.. one can change his code(destiny) a little bit , by efforts(Karm) but thats very difficult. One can't change much of the code execution and hence.. birth, death etc are not in one's hand. Now are there some agents too??? yes.. But not the BAD one.. He/She is Almighty... sab se upper.. He/she is nothing but a BIG enery controller/source.. so when guru ji tell us that we are part of that almighty.. he means we small energy boxes and that BIG energy source.

There are some people who had/has BUG in their code, Which is intentionaly put in.. but the code writer.. the GOD. Saints!! They understand the matrix... And try to get out.

ohhh noo.. I have to stop here.. call for a office meeting... Sorry for writing so much.. and that too a boring one... i saw the topic and couldn't stop myself... i might be not very clear... my poor choice of words.... but still i hope.. we can have a good disscussion on this topic..

Regards

Sardu