Can an android/A.I be a Sikh?

Hari

Can an android/A.I be a Sikh of Sri Guru Granth Sahib?  

1. 1.

• YES
    • NO
    • DON'T KNOW

The way technology is going nowadays, it won't be long before we'll be talking to our computers.I'm serious.Imagine telling your computer to open a program, and then dictating to it.Telling it what you want done etc.And it talking back and making suggestions!This future is not that far off I think.10-15 years I reckon.

What I described above is A.I (artificail intelligence).Combine A.I with an anthropomorphic robotic body, and you have an android.

android /an-droyd/ .n (in science fiction) a robot with a human appearance.

- ORIGIN from Greek aner 'man'

That's the Oxford English dictionary definition of android.It says "science fiction".Believe me it's not science fiction any more.There's some really great android projects out there.Check out:

http://www.androidworld.com/

http://www.androidworld.com/prod01.htm

Will A.I get so sophisticated that it will want to follow religion.Will there be an android in 20-30 years time that will want to become a Sikh? :shock:

Will there a highly intelligent android/A.I that will read Sri Guru Granth Sahib and be moved by what it reads?I think that would be really awesome.We all know that Guru Nanak Dev was way ahead of His time, in terms of science and cosmology.

So what do you think?Can an android become A Sikh.Can an A.I become a Sikh?Your views please Sadh Sangat Ji.Sat Sri Akal.

a robot with a human appearance.

- ORIGIN from Greek aner 'man'

Robot is machine so whatever it does we program so in that case it is not human not related to GOD. Human need salvation and true path not robots...

are we robots.....

We do whatever we are told (gurus hukam) so according you your statement truthsingh, in our case were not related to God.

Notice to Normal People, Above statements Might not make perfect sense so i put the same post up in a different manner so that normal people can understand my twisted trail of thoughts.

Robot is machine so whatever it does we program

We are machines cos whatever god says we do. I.e God programs our lives.

in that case it is not human not related to GOD

oh well, no need to pray.

Human need salvation and true path not robots...

Human = robot.

here is my take on this whole thing

the ffact that you started this thread suggests one of three things

1) either you really have no lives

2) you guys need jobs, or extra-curricular activities or SOMETHING

OR

3)the city in which you live is sooooooooooo boring, that you need to start topics about androids in sikh forums.....

LOL>...dis is such a ridiculous topic..

Discussing something is not going harm but tomorrow in society if we ever come across question same as this then we know what to say.... :) And this is the reason that we allow all views and any question which exist in human mind.

if u think about it - its a really interestin thought

this robot/machine would be able to recite gurbani all day long because you could put some wicked memory in it... SGGS off by heart :wink: it would be able to do naam simran all day long - and as machines are made to be focused upon one task fully it wud never get distracted

the internal timer would automatically switch the android at amrit vela and it would be awake fully straight away... it wudnt be able to have an ishnaan tho - prolly get electricuted :twisted: unless it was made out of emimetapoly alloy :wink:

it would be a wicked siphai cos no one wud be able to kill it.. sava lak naal ek larawoo :wink: :P

it could be taught all the raags :D teach it how to play instruments and sing kirtan :)

man endless possibilities... *runs to his shed to start building one with sticky back plastic and cardboard A Team stylee :wink: :twisted: 8) *

let's face it....it'd just be like playing the role of god..making something to do what you want it to do, and it leading the life of the ideal Gursikh....you'd be playing the role of God, which definitely is NOT right.... after all

Dukh Daaroo Sukh Rog Peya, Ja Sukh Taam Na Hoee

Too karta karna MAI NAAHI Jaa Ho Kari Na Hoee

Dear jsb Ji, you said:

let's face it....it'd just be like playing the role of god..making something to do what you want it to do, and it leading the life of the ideal Gursikh....you'd be playing the role of God, which definitely is NOT right.... after all

I don't think it would be playing the role of this "God" you speak of.If by "God," you mean Vahiguru, then I would say that nobody can ever "play" the "role" of Vahiguru.

You should all stop thinking of Vahiguru in the terms of a Judaic god, who looks "down" on us and doesn't want us to do certain things which might upset "him".

Vahiguru is not a god, Vahiguru is beyond the concept of God.Think about it.I think some of you have been too influenced by Western Christian notions of religion and "God".

Man will do what man will do, all under the Hukam of Vahiguru.What is good?What is bad?In 20-30 years time we will have highly sophisticated A.I that will be able to think for it's self, which will in turn lead to more intelligent A.I.

There are interesting times ahead indeed.Don't be scared now :cry: :cry:

You should all stop thinking of Vahiguru in the terms of a Judaic god, who looks "down" on us and doesn't want us to do certain things which might upset "him".

Vahiguru is not a god, Vahiguru is beyond the concept of God.Think about it.I think some of you have been too influenced by Western Christian notions of religion and "God".

Good points Hari Ji :)

Gurfateh

To know whether an Android can be a SIKH or one, one wud have to define wat a Sikh is..

Example 1

According to SGPC, it would have to take amrit, not eat halal, carry 5 k's, do its nitnem, etc etc

Example 2

According to AKJ, it would have to take amrit, wear a keski, not read Raagmala, eat from Sarbloh etc etc.

Example 3

Japji Sahib, would have us believe, a Sikh, a disciple of Sach (Truth), the Android would have to promote righteousness, conteplate on truth, and develop further within itself, contribute posiively to society, etc.

It appears Guru Maharaj's defintion of what makes a Sikh (ie, by virtues) even extends to Androids.