Why Sikhi failed to spread

amardeep

Do you know the percentage of Sikhs, compared to world population? Sikhs are not even 1% of world's population.

From a worldly perspective, our community has no chance to come into power and most likely, our numbers will stay low.

Bhul chuk maaf

thats not really answering the point though is it. which scenario gives us more of a chance? 5 lions votes vs 6 sheep votes?

Paapi Ji, Sikhs never recognise terms such as "hopeless" in relation to our Panth.

In the new internet age, it is the big religions which will see their followings evaporate the most as knowledge of their lies spreads.

Ask yourself if every child and young adult in the world could freely choose between Hinduism, Islam, Christianity & Sikhi what would they likely choose (if Amritdhari Maryada was not obligatory upon them)?

Read the post again. It mentions - "worldly perspective".

Then how come Islam is spreading in the world? Correct me if Daas is wrong, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.

Paapi Ji i sincerely believe Islam is ideologically bankrupt in comparison to the truth of Sikhi.

I believe if all 7.35billion of the global population were imparted knowledge about the character of Dhan Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj (as one of ten examples) to compare and contrast with the immoral life of Prophet Muhammad (slavery, paedophilia, terrorism etc), I believe the overwhelmingly majority of neutrals and indeed even a majority of Muslims (freed from any fear of death for apostacy) would accept that Sikhi is clearly the Truth in comparison to the clear falsehoods of Islam.

The reason why the Muslim population globally is growing bigger is because their historic empires and enslavement enabled the Muslims to convert the vast majority of the ancestors of their present day population. And if we look at the 21st century the contrast with Sikhs is clear in pragmatic terms. 

Muslims seek to convert as many to their fold as possible. Sikhs since 1950 have self-defeatingly chosen to exclude as many as possible from the Panth. To become a Muslim one need only utter the shahada. In contrast, we Sikhs often term tens of millions of faithful Gurdwara Sangat as non-Sikhs. Muslims are told that a high birthrate is vital for numerical domination. When our Jathedar points out that Sikh fertility levels are below the replacement level, many more are more concerned about not dividing family wealth between too many offspring.

The Muslims translate the provably false and immoral teachings of the Quran into all global languages. In contrast, we Sikhs have not yet managed to even translate Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj into Urdu or Arabic just to cite two large languages spoken by over half a billion people (let alone all Indian or African languages that we should urgently prioritise). Given that one of our Panj Piare was from Odisha it's shocking to me that it took a Bengali academic called Sadhna Kumari Patri to privately translate Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj into Odisha bhasha (and giving up her own job to do this seva). It goes without saying that Sadhna Patri Ji is a Sikh though many I'm sure would label her as a non-Sikh.

In the Diaspora, the number of Muslim parentage women who would wish to experience gender equality by marrying a Sikh male is huge - the response of many in our community would be to protest such a marriage. In contrast, the opposite would be celebrated and financially rewarded in the Muslim community. So it isn't any surprise why the Muslims grow faster as a consequence. Nevertheless, I firmly believe that if we adjust our thinking to include as many people as possible within the wider overall Sikh Panth (whilst keeping the Khalsa Panth niyara) then Sikhi can grow a lot faster and it is our duty to do that for Sarbat da Bhala as only with a bigger population can we achieve greater positive actions. Furthermore, I believe Islam can only prosper when knowledge of it and it's founder's reality is hidden from general public knowledge. As the Internet enables the faster flow of information I believe it can be a great leveller in losing Islam and Christianity many followers whereas smaller faiths such as Sikhi and Buddhism can gain more adherents in contrast (so long as we do not set the initial bar too high and willingly accept those sehajdhari non-Punjabi's who feel that their convictions align with Sikhi).

Edited by mrsingh

"In the Diaspora, the number of Muslim parentage women who would wish to experience gender equality by marrying a Sikh male is huge"

Are you sure about that? I have heard that way more Sikh men have converted to marry their Muslim partners than the other way round.

Absolutely Chatanga Paji, i strongly believe in the point you have queried. It's just shows how weak our mindset is if a man is so emasulated that he would convert to the (false) faith of a female. I would surmise that the males in question were raised with a biraderi identity as their foremost identifier with knowledge of the Sikh identity being a distant second. What you point out may have been the case in the past but in 2015 i think it's swinging around pendulum wise and if Muslim women were freed from the threat of honour killings there would be a huge number of them wishing to escape the gender discrimination inherent in Islam to experience the gender equality that is central to Sikhi. In Canada (more so than the UK) especially there are numerous couples where the wife was from an erstwhile Muslim family background.

Edited by mrsingh

Absolutely Chatanga Paji, i strongly believe in the point you have queried. It's just shows how weak our mindset is if a man is so emasulated that he would convert to the (false) faith of a female. I would surmise that the males in question were raised with a biraderi identity as their foremost identifier with knowledge of the Sikh identity being a distant second. What you point out may have been the case in the past but in 2015 i think it's swinging around pendulum wise and if Muslim women were freed from the threat of honour killings there would be a huge number of them wishing to escape the gender discrimination inherent in Islam to experience the gender equality that is central to Sikhi. In Canada (more so than the UK) especially there are numerous couples where the wife was from an erstwhile Muslim family background.

Don't forget that on here quite a few of the Singhs on this forum do not believe Sikhi has (or ever was supposed to have) gender equality...

True Satkirin Kaur Ji. I'm very proud of the Nova Scotia Sangat for the following, that you pointed out previously below in the www.sikhchic.com interview:

We should emphasise the difference in terms of gender equality between Sikhi & Islam, where in certain Mosques women aren't even allowed to pray due to their supposed "impurity", whilst in our Gurdwaa's we are proud to have an all female executive chosen on the basis of their greater competence.

Islam is a religion which condones slavery in the Quran and where Prophet Muhammad owned black slaves. Sikhi in contrasts asserts that slavery is immoral and that slaveowners deserve death. Remarkably, however, Muslims manage to convert millions of African Americans as we Sikhs in contrast are too insular and don't have the flexibility to realise that kangha need not be made a ritualistic necessity for those with long dreadlocks.

http://www.sikhchic.com/people/taking_the_bull_by_the_horns

Taking The Bull By The Horns

An Interview of KANWAL KAUR SIDHU

The Maritime Sikh Society ("MSS") was founded in 1968 to serve the needs of the sangat in Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada).

In 1992, it made history by becoming the first gurdwara in North America - and possibly the world - to have an all-women executive committee to manage its affairs.

In December 2009, the members of the society once again selected an all-women executive team to manage the gurdwara, including president Kanwal Kaur Sidhu.

"I am honoured and privileged to be given this opportunity to serve the Sikh community. I am humbled by the trust and faith placed upon us," says Kanwal Kaur.

She has a deep connection with this gurdwara going back to her father, Gurcharan Singh, who in April 1968 had invited Sikhs from all over the region to celebrate Vaisakhi at his home. It was there that the notion of a formal Sikh organization was tabled, a committee formed and the Maritime Sikh Society conceived.

Kanwal's mother, Surjit Kaur, also served as president in 1993-94. In fact, since its inception, women have played key roles and have participated fully in all affairs and activities of the society.

When India's high commissioner, S. Gurdial Singh Dhillon, once saw a woman leading the ardas ceremony in the gurdwara, he said, "This is the first time I have seen a woman performing an ardaas in a gurdwara. You have given them the equal rights they deserve."

We spoke with Kanwal Kaur about the role of women at MSS and the status of women in society today.

What kind of feedback have you received to having an all-women executive?

Kanwal Kaur ["KK"]: So far we have received only positive comments and a lot of support! It has been very encouraging. India's Sikh cabinet minister, Sardar M.S. Gill, commented in The Tribune that the "SGPC (Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee) should emulate Halifax's example". Hopefully, this story will encourage more women to take leadership roles in gurdwaras and men will be more accepting of the idea.

What are some key roles women play in the gurdwara?

We actually don't have a professional granthi here in the Halifax gurdwara. All the seva is done by volunteers in the sangat. In addition to preparing langar, women perform many of the other duties at the gurdwara. For example, it is mostly women that recite ardas, do kirtan and recite the lavans at weddings. They are free to take vaaks, administer oaths to the incoming executive or address the congregation. Currently, Sardarni Satpal Kaur Sodhi is doing a series of lectures on the lesser known Gurus of Sikhism. She is highly knowledgeable in Sikh traditions, culture and religion. She has published several books on various aspects of spiritual life and Sikhism.

Our gurdwara would definitely not be able to run without our female members of the sangat!

The male members of the Maritime Sikh Society fully support the aforementioned roles that women take on in our gurdwara. We are very fortunate that our gurdwara enjoys a harmonious relationship between the men and women, and the men play just as important a role in the smooth operation of the gurdwara. They always support and encourage the women to come forward and serve in any capacity, including serving on the executive.

What inspired you to get involved and run for President?

I have been a part of our Sikh community here since I was a young child. The Maritime Sikh Society was founded in 1968 in my parents' house. There were only about 27 Sikh families at that time here in the province of Nova Scotia.

For the first 10 years, the Maritime Sikh Society held gatherings in rental halls or school gyms. My father, S. Gurcharan Singh, served in various capacities for the first eight years of this Society. As a young child, I was involved in all the activities, whether it was helping carry heavy carpets for the floor or washing dishes after a service. My father was a very spiritual man who had a deep love for gurbani. He embodied all that our Gurus taught us. He was a very humble, kind, compassionate man who showered all those he knew with lots of love. His friends belonged to all faiths as he did not see any divisions between people. He only saw humanity. You could say my father was most influential in me developing a deep love for my culture and my Sikh faith. Gurbani kirtan played in our house continuously. My mother, Surjit Kaur, is also a very learned and devout woman. She was the force behind my father, silently doing seva for years on end and never looking for recognition. She has also served as the president of MSS. I took on this seva to honour my parents and to carry on my father's legacy.

What are some of your goals with MSS?

My main goal is to serve this community to the best of my ability while keeping in mind the tenets of Sikhism. I hope to be a positive role model to the young women here while teaching them that in Sikhism, we are all equal. Not just in terms of gender, but in terms of race, caste, class, etc.

Why do you think more women are not involved in these types of roles at other gurdwaras?

This is likely because Sikh women are still suffering under traditional prejudices, bias and challenges. While the Rehat Maryada clearly states the equality of men and women, including while doing seva in the gurdwara, many times we don't see women participating because of cultural ideas that don't see women as equal. These are the same cultural chains the Gurus worked so hard to get rid of.

Gender equality is enshrined in the Sikh religion but has that translated to equality in the Punjabi community?

It is very unfortunate that many of the progressive teachings of the Sikh Gurus, which were 500 years ahead of their time, have been forgotten.

However, Sikhism did originate and develop in India, which is a male-dominated society.

In most developing societies where educational resources are limited, girls are treated differently and more poorly than boys. Social pressures, chauvinistic attitudes, and essentially forgetting what the Sikh Gurus taught us, have resulted in the position of Sikh women being hampered.

Fortunately, though, the situation is improving. In a recent study, Jutt (Rural) Sikh Women: Social Transformation Changing Status and Lifestyle, 2010, the author Amarinder Sandhu finds that education among the girls in Punjab is on the rise. With education, economic empowerment and an analytical look back at the teachings and lives of the Gurus, the study of Sikh Scriptures has reawakened Sikh women as well as Sikh men. They are now conscious of rights of women as equal partners in human progress, and citing the Holy Scriptures, they are fighting back for these rights. Sikhism promised an equal place to women but unfortunately the practice fell far short of the preaching.

What are some areas where you'd like to see more action on gender equality in our society?

I would definitely like to see action taken in the area of domestic violence against women. I believe education is the key to empowering young women who are often the victims of domestic abuse. A lot of these women are unaware that there is a way out and continue to suffer silently.

Female infanticide is also undoubtedly a serious problem that needs to be rectified. Although Indian culture has improved with regards to respecting women, we still do not place women on an equal level with men, leading to many female abortions. It isn't only the men that devalue women, but the women as well. I do think, though, that the situation is getting better and the issue is being picked up and addressed by the Punjab government, Sikh clergy and the media.

What about the role of women in Sikh religious institutions?

In the time of Guru Amar Das, three of the appointed masands (regional preachers) were women.

These women were put in charge of spreading the message of Sikhism, handling sangat issues and the administration in their communities. Throughout history, Sikh women have always stood side-by-side joining in all panthic seva. We have had a history of Sikh women being head of Sikh congregations, and leaders in Sikh battles and misls (confederations) .

It is a tragedy that today, there is even an issue of Sikh women not being able to partake in early morning seva and kirtan seva at Darbar Sahib or other gurdwaras. Can you imagine not allowing Mata Gujri to do seva? In our ardaas, we daily speak of the Sikh men and women who have given their ultimate sacrifice for the seva of the panth. Guru Gobind Singh solidified the concept of equality with the introduction of the ONE Khalsa of Kaurs and Singhs.

It is very sad that whereas in the times of our Sikh Gurus we saw Sikh women in leadership roles in the clergy, today there seems to be no remnants of women occupying such positions.

What do you do in your gurdwara to help educate people on the equality of women?

Well, I think our community here in Halifax is quite fortunate in that the members are all quite highly educated. This extends to the community's views on gender equality and the valuable position women occupy in society. Women in our community are highly valued members of the congregation and greatly contribute to the running of the gurdwara.

What do you think Sikh parents can do to help interest their children in the religion?

It is very important for parents to take their children to gurdwara on a regular basis. The children should be encouraged to become important participants in all forms of seva at our religious institutions. This develops an important connection to our religion and also cultivates friendships with other Sikh children, especially in smaller communities such as ours.

Sikh parents should teach their children how the tenets of Sikhism (such as seva, equality and love for all) correlate to their day-to-day lives. The best teacher always leads by example. Children learn best when behaviours are modelled for them. They should be made aware of what a beautiful faith we have and how it is one of the most progressive religions in the world.

What advice do you have for young Sikh women in general?

First and foremost I would encourage all young Sikh women to strive toward getting a good education. Education is power and it opens minds. They should follow their passion, whatever that happens to be. They need to stay connected to their roots and their faith. We all need an anchor in our lives and it is our faith that sustains us in time of adversity. Our heritage is one that is so rich and diverse. We have a goldmine that the western culture is only now discovering.

I would also encourage all young women to get involved in their community and give of themselves in some way - volunteer at the local gurdwara, help the homeless, any charitable activity.

Edited by mrsingh

Don't kid yourselves folks!

I live and have grown up around Muslims, their women are a lot more content than many apneean, even with all the so-called 'inequality'. 

Satkirin is a nutjob btw. Only a few weeks ago she agreed that in reality many people (both male and female) preferred to be in a relatively subordinate role in relationships - (debunking her own white, feminist bullshit in the process), and that MANY females actually CHOOSE and PREFER to live in a way that others might label or perceive as 'oppressive', because they can't see beyond their own subjective feelings.

There is the perspective that the familiarity/ predictability of the more traditional gender roles is comfortable for many females compared to the more modern lifestyle espoused by Cosmopolitan magazine/mainstream white media and the likes. 

Truth is that some of these modern, successful 'have it all' career women are infinitely more deeply, dissatisfied with life than many hijabed up housewives! lol

I have to add: if western models of gender equality was what women really sought, there wouldn't be so many conversions by western females to Islam. Simples. So, whatever the reasons for Sikhi not spreading as wildly as some might like, I don't think the gender thing is the issue. Not that this justifies anyone oppressing females.  

None of this isthe point dalsingh101... the point is, does Sikhi have gender equality or not?? Are women in Sikhi given the same rights when it comes to religious duties, family etc as men? Or are they given less? And if they ARE given less rights and freedoms, is it Sikhi that is somehow teaching this, or is it culture??

Don't mix up what I suggested before... that some people male and female choose to be in a dominant / submissive relatinship. Ever hear of BDSM? Some people willingly enter into a relationship as a 'slave' for whatever reason and it excites them sexually etc. to be controlled.  Men do it as well btw.  Some men also even pay to be the submissive!!! I was suggesting that maybe (whether they openly admit it or not) have some of the same attraction to being told what to do, when to do it etc. and not have to ever think on their own... This however, is NOT the ideal!!!!

My stance is and has always been, that NOBODY should be pigeonholed into roles based on their gender.  If a man wants to stay at home with the kids let him... if she has the higher paying career etc... and if a woman wants to work and have a career and feels more fullfilled contributing to society then let her.  It's not hurting you so why should you care? It worls for them... But nobody should be told they 'are not allowed' do something because they have a vagina (or a penis).  Especially in religious / spiritual affairs.  If women want to lead spiritually, let them... if they feel the calling to pursue leadership positions in the sangat then let them explore those roles.  Men don't always have to lead and women don't always have to be submissive followers.

How can anyone ever consider this thinking to be 'nutjob'???

A nutjob would be someone who forces another into a role they despise and make their life miserable... in the name of 'gender roles'.  And this goes both ways...male and female.

btw this makes me an equalist not a feminist.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

My stance is and has always been, that NOBODY should be pigeonholed into roles based on their gender.  If a man wants to stay at home with the kids let him... if she has the higher paying career etc... and if a woman wants to work and have a career and feels more fullfilled contributing to society then let her.  It's not hurting you so why should you care? It worls for them... But nobody should be told they 'are not allowed' do something because they have a vagina (or a penis).  Especially in religious / spiritual affairs.  If women want to lead spiritually, let them... if they feel the calling to pursue leadership positions in the sangat then let them explore those roles.  Men don't always have to lead and women don't always have to be submissive followers.

Okay I get your point here.

To me it looks like there was better equality in the physical lifetimes of the human Gurus. In relative terms, many Panjabi women also appear to have been infinitely less shackled by society in the Lahore Sikh kingdom than their white counterparts in Victorian England too. Rani Jindan was shockingly outspoken (and threatening) to the white men that encountered her. M. Ranjit Singh's Muslim wife demonstrated an open belligerence towards the monarch that doesn't find parallel in British society.   I think annexation possibly played a part in strengthened patriarchy. The Brits obviously didn't like dealing with women and excluded them from power, patronising the rural segment who are notoriously patriarchal.

Today, the lucrative lure of the golak contents also makes dubious people hawkish and exclusionary to protect financial interests. 

That ALL being said, don't discount the impact of having a LONG period of brutal warfare, where women were targeted by the enemy as purely sexual objects and financial assets, in the way that Yahzdi women are being sold and used today in the mid-east. However tough you might feel camping out in your submarine, Sikh men in the past had to deal with day to day realities of war that highlighted the vulnerability of women. 

Anyway, I don't see anything in Sikhi that would bar a women from leadership positions in the sangat myself. It's people doing it for their own interests or based on their own personal opinions.

Edited by dalsingh101

Addition:

I think it is important to note  - overt gender inequality isn't preventing Islam spreading is it...  especially in nations that boast about their 'gender fairness'.  What's that telling us.

Do you think that things like this might have anything to do with it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10061217/Imams-promote-grooming-rings-Muslim-leader-claims.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_sex_gang

or more relatedt Sikh girls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPqvVvhnZE

http://dailysikhupdates.com/young-girls-become-targets-of-sexual-grooming-at-nagar-kirtans-in-uk-video/

p.s. - I was elected treasurer this year at our Gurdwara... guess who controls the golak here? ;) And it goes straight from the gurdwara to the bank and all deposit receipts are maintained. (And there are always two of us counting it as well, and both sign the book so that no one person can ever be accused of anything). 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

I don't get your point?

It's saying a lot that despite all of this - and the continual demonisation of Islam in mainstream media - it's still growing...

Let me spell it out for you: rampant gender inequality OBVIOUSLY doesn't prevent a religion spreading.  

Edited by dalsingh101

I don't get your point?

It's saying a lot that despite all of this - and the continual demonisation of Islam in mainstream media - it's still growing...

Let me spell it out for you: rampant gender inequality OBVIOUSLY doesn't prevent a religion spreading.  

I agree especially when said religion spreads by force..... (or forced conversion after sexual grooming etc. ) 

Gurfateh

I'd like to open a discussion on why Sikhi failed to spread significantly as a religion and failed to attract large numbers of converts outside Punjab. Even in Punjab, Sikhs probably never made up more than 10-20% of the population. Indeed, "small" pockets of converts can be found outside Punjab in Afghanistan, Bihar, Maharashtra etc. The latest Indian census reports reveal that Jammu and Kashmir has a Sikh population of some 200,000 (with most in the Jammu area and not in the remote Kashmir valley). Maharahstra likewise has some 250,000 while Bihar has a ridicilousily small number of only 20,000 (consider that Sikhi has been represented in this area for more than 300 years!!)... Rajastan has some 800,000 Sikhs while Madya Pradesh has 150,000 (which I find quite interesting to look further into). While these figures might sound astonishing to some, one just has to compare to the number of Christians in India - there are more Christians in India than there are SIkhs worldwide! Likewise there are more Muslims in Uttar Pradesh than there are Sikhs worldwide! To add insult to injury, there are almost double as many Muslim Punjabis as there are SIkh punjabis!

Untill British colonisation, large Sikh communities was not really to be seen outside lands that had'n been under Mughal sway. There were very small communities of Sikhs across the Asian continent (in Arab lands) but Sikhi never did manage to attract a large number of devotees. It is also noteworthy that many of the Sikh communities outside Punjab in many cases descend from Punjabi immigrants. As such, these are not indigenous converts of the land.

What do you think is the reason Sikhi failed to spread?

If Sikhkhoj is planning to write in this topic - keep it civil and keep all personal attacks aside!

I hope my answer does not offend anyone, if it does, then let me apologize in advance.

The religion of the sikhs has failed to spread for many many reasons.  Illiteracy amongst the sikh people is very high.  If you ever visit India, particularly, Punjab like i do you will soon find out what i mean.  There you will find so many sikhs who can't even read or write Punjabi, so how do you expect them to recite the gurbani? 

The people of India whether they be from Punjab or elsewhere in India are the most reluctant people to listen to others.  Their egos are bigger then their bank accounts.  They simply do not take pride in who they are.  The Punjabis hate the Tamils, the Tamils make fun of those originating from Gujrat,  the Gujrat people don't understand what the bengalis are saying and so on and so forth.  People of india are alienated from each other in such a way that it will take a major God's WILL to bring them together and UNITE.  Alienation of the people of India from one another is so great that it is almost difficult to express it in words.  Words fail me. No one understands anyone let alone respect each others differences.  Lets face it how many people in bengal eat makki ki rotti with saag and drink homemade lassi?  How many punjabies eat dosas, idlies and barras on regular basis and know how to say hello in tamil?  No one knows anything or much about each others' customs and culture let alone each others' lingo. When are all the regions of India going to unite and get to know, love and respect each other?  We are now facing a huge problem of sikhs in punjab and what they have to suffer on day to day basis just because they are sikhs.

Gurfateh

I'd like to open a discussion on why Sikhi failed to spread significantly as a religion and failed to attract large numbers of converts outside Punjab. Even in Punjab, Sikhs probably never made up more than 10-20% of the population. Indeed, "small" pockets of converts can be found outside Punjab in Afghanistan, Bihar, Maharashtra etc. The latest Indian census reports reveal that Jammu and Kashmir has a Sikh population of some 200,000 (with most in the Jammu area and not in the remote Kashmir valley). Maharahstra likewise has some 250,000 while Bihar has a ridicilousily small number of only 20,000 (consider that Sikhi has been represented in this area for more than 300 years!!)... Rajastan has some 800,000 Sikhs while Madya Pradesh has 150,000 (which I find quite interesting to look further into). While these figures might sound astonishing to some, one just has to compare to the number of Christians in India - there are more Christians in India than there are SIkhs worldwide! Likewise there are more Muslims in Uttar Pradesh than there are Sikhs worldwide! To add insult to injury, there are almost double as many Muslim Punjabis as there are SIkh punjabis!

Untill British colonisation, large Sikh communities was not really to be seen outside lands that had'n been under Mughal sway. There were very small communities of Sikhs across the Asian continent (in Arab lands) but Sikhi never did manage to attract a large number of devotees. It is also noteworthy that many of the Sikh communities outside Punjab in many cases descend from Punjabi immigrants. As such, these are not indigenous converts of the land.

What do you think is the reason Sikhi failed to spread?

If Sikhkhoj is planning to write in this topic - keep it civil and keep all personal attacks aside!

Because of bollywood.  It failed to depict or portray the sikhs and their religion in favorable ways. Sikhs have always been made a laughing stock in the bollywood movies and sikhs failed to take aktion.  Illiteracy and alienation are the other two causes for this failure.

Bollywood failed to depict the sikhs and their religion in a favorable way and that is why this religion failed to spread as it should have.  Alienation and illiteracy also play a vital part in the failure.

Nah, that's a really simplistic view that doesn't hold in reality.

The vast majority of converts I've met aren't forced or groomed. 

I hope my answer does not offend anyone, if it does, then let me apologize in advance.

The religion of the sikhs has failed to spread for many many reasons.  Illiteracy amongst the sikh people is very high.  If you ever visit India, particularly, Punjab like i do you will soon find out what i mean.  There you will find so many sikhs who can't even read or write Punjabi, so how do you expect them to recite the gurbani?

The people of India whether they be from Punjab or elsewhere in India are the most reluctant people to listen to others.  Their egos are bigger then their bank accounts.  They simply do not take pride in who they are.  The Punjabis hate the Tamils, the Tamils make fun of those originating from Gujrat,  the Gujrat people don't understand what the bengalis are saying and so on and so forth.  People of india are alienated from each other in such a way that it will take a major God's WILL to bring them together and UNITE.  Alienation of the people of India from one another is so great that it is almost difficult to express it in words.  Words fail me. No one understands anyone let alone respect each others differences.  Lets face it how many people in bengal eat makki ki rotti with saag and drink homemade lassi?  How many punjabies eat dosas, idlies and barras on regular basis and know how to say hello in tamil?  No one knows anything or much about each others' customs and culture let alone each others' lingo. When are all the regions of India going to unite and get to know, love and respect each other?  We are now facing a huge problem of sikhs in punjab and what they have to suffer on day to day basis just because they are sikhs.

Of course we would do well to remember that the first five Amritdhari Sikhs (Panj Piare) were (in no special order):

Gujarati (western India),

Dravidian (southern India)

Odisha (eastern India)

Potohari (present day Pakistan)

Hastinapur (northern India)

Thus, instead of Sikhi being falsely pigeon-holed by our opponents as a Punjabi religion (despite 87% of Punjabi's being Muslims and Hindu's), we need to realise that Sikhi is a world faith that should never be caged within Malwa and Majha but needs to spread far and wide globally to all (via our own efforts and commitment as ordinary Sikhs).

Edited by mrsingh

The original panj piyareys did not go back to their respective regions to bring more people into the sikhi fold.

That might be because they were a tad bit busy taking on the infinitely better resourced, and numerically superior Moghul forces?

The Khalsa was far too superior to those shits that were trying to oppress others. And they weren't just the mughaloos they were also hindoos who were so jealous of the sikhs and the great Khalsa that Guru Maharaj Ji had created.  If you don't have correct knowledge then look it up. 

The Khalsa was far too superior to those shits that were trying to oppress others. And they weren't just the mughaloos they were also hindoos who were so jealous of the sikhs and the great Khalsa that Guru Maharaj Ji had created.  If you don't have correct knowledge then look it up. 

It was mainly 'high-caste' Hindus that were anti-Khalsa for obvious vested interest reasons. The later, widespread generalised anti-Sikh stance from Hindus became normalised under colonialism. 

And it is silly to suggest that the Moghuls were some pushover for the Khalsa; they pushed Singhs hard; if you don't have correct knowledge look up Bhangu's Panth Prakash and read for yourself. 

Edited by dalsingh101