Benefits of Parikarma

All though i rarely have done pakarima myself  i have done it once in pure devotion. This is great sargun bhagti devotional ritual towards our living guru- sri guru granth sahib ji it re-affirms our commitment towards sri guru granth sahib message of sat (truth-naam) and devotion to sri guru granth sahib ji.

This is also part of nine types of bhagti towards sri guru granth sahib ji-

SGGS Ang- 71 

Bhagat Navaie Parkara.
There are nine forms of devotional worship 

Baba Tirath Singh Nirmala in his translation of Pundit Gulab Singhs Bhavrasamrit (p42-44) mentions the nine limbs of Bhakti which are referred to in the Sikh tradition as the Nvai Parkar (Nine methods):

1. Sravan - hearing the divine* praises.
2. Kirtan - singing the praised of the divine.
3. Simran - remembrance of the divines name.
4. Padsevena - service and offerings at the divines feet.
5. Archana - worship the divine.
6. Bandana - prostration before the divine.
7. Dasyam - developing feeling or emotion of being the divine's servant.
8. Sakhyam - cultivating the emotional bond of friendship.
9. Atma Nivedana - surrender of the self to the divine.

All though i rarely have done pakarima myself  i have done it once in pure devotion. This is great sargun bhagti devotional ritual towards our living guru- sri guru granth sahib ji it re-affirms our commitment towards sri guru granth sahib message of sat (truth-naam) and devotion to sri guru granth sahib ji.

This is also part of nine types of bhagti towards sri guru granth sahib ji-

SGGS Ang- 71 

Bhagat Navaie Parkara.
There are nine forms of devotional worship 

Baba Tirath Singh Nirmala in his translation of Pundit Gulab Singhs Bhavrasamrit (p42-44) mentions the nine limbs of Bhakti which are referred to in the Sikh tradition as the Nvai Parkar (Nine methods):

1. Sravan - hearing the divine* praises.
2. Kirtan - singing the praised of the divine.
3. Simran - remembrance of the divines name.
4. Padsevena - service and offerings at the divines feet.
5. Archana - worship the divine.
6. Bandana - prostration before the divine.
7. Dasyam - developing feeling or emotion of being the divine's servant.
8. Sakhyam - cultivating the emotional bond of friendship.
9. Atma Nivedana - surrender of the self to the divine.

Daas was looking for something else, but anyways, thanks brother. A separate post will be made on Navda Bhagtee.

Parikaram is also a type of seva, of Maharaaj. Please listen to the katha below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD2ZixbiDZ4

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

• 1 month later...
Guest Tina Kaur
WJKK WJKF 

prakhrama ! Something I'd love to dive deeper into. 

Questions I'd really appreciate insight on is 2 fold of tying any thread for rituals or ceremonial purposes.

1. Is it correct that tying of threads is prohibited due to following Brahmin rituals ? In order to define no one is purer (soocha)? 
Sadly some baptised Sikhs don't even shake hands or eat from my plate in guru ghar - is this not also going with Brahmin rituals? 
So why do we look at things from one specific angle versus holistically? 

2. We need to look deeper into what prakhrama means and what Laavan means .... Not just a marriage ritual or ceremony. Always wondered as Anand Karaj are beautiful Shabad - of which a soul merges by steps to Eikh On Kaar. These verses where picked by Guru Amar Das Ji - to represent Laavan. Prior to this we had Laavan of going around fire.  Is it possible for a single person to do Laavan around Guru Granth Sahib  Ji in Anand Karaj ceremony ? In the same way a prakhrama is done around SGGS Ji when we do darshan? What is the correlation between prakhrama & Laavan deeply embedded? As both feel like a deep connection of love regardless of whether a marriage ceremony is being performed. 

WJKK WJKF 

prakhrama ! Something I'd love to dive deeper into. 

Questions I'd really appreciate insight on is 2 fold of tying any thread for rituals or ceremonial purposes.

1. Is it correct that tying of threads is prohibited due to following Brahmin rituals ? In order to define no one is purer (soocha)? 

Wearing of certain threads might have some significance, but for Sikhs, we have been given five kakkars by Satguru jee. Therefore, there is no need for a Sikh to wear any type of threads.

Sadly some baptised Sikhs don't even shake hands or eat from my plate in guru ghar - is this not also going with Brahmin rituals? 
So why do we look at things from one specific angle versus holistically? 

A Sikh should have no problem is shaking hands with anyone of the same gender, but we are not allowed by Satguru jee to shake hands with opposite sex. What do you mean, eating from your plate? Sikhs are not allowed to eat jhoota of anyone else, due to hygienic and other reasons. Brahmans are also very strict, with regards to hygiene. Certain concepts are common among people of different religious groups. Sikhs are even similar to Muslims in certain ways.

Bhul chuk maaf

Wearing of certain threads might have some significance, but for Sikhs, we have been given five kakkars by Satguru jee. Therefore, there is no need for a Sikh to wear any type of threads.

A Sikh should have no problem is shaking hands with anyone of the same gender, but we are not allowed by Satguru jee to shake hands with opposite sex. What do you mean, eating from your plate? Sikhs are not allowed to eat jhoota of anyone else, due to hygienic and other reasons. Brahmans are also very strict, with regards to hygiene. Certain concepts are common among people of different religious groups. Sikhs are even similar to Muslims in certain ways.

Bhul chuk maaf

For centuries Sikhs have tied threads during wedding ceremonies (red gana) which happens till this day. How come we advocate and socially ban one thread tying ceremony (rakhee) over another ? It seems illogical. I have never seen a protest or ban on thread tying at a sikh wedding (karmyai, vaatna, mehndi ..)

shaking hands with same gender I have come across. As well as eating langar and sharing a ladoo the baptised Sikhs will eat from each other but not from a non baptised. Does this not signify brahmaic rituals?

More so the prakhrama question above is what I'd love to get insight on?

Sikh and Muslim religions are zaaman asmaan da farak. Don't dilute the two. 

Can someone please state the benefits of doing Parikarma of SSGGSJ?

As far as I remember (might be wrong), Gyani Thakur Singh jee talked about them in a Katha.

Bhul chuk maaf

To my knowledge the tradition of parikrama started with Ganesh, Kartikey and Bhagwan Shiv Ji and Mata Parbati. Both sons were tested to see how fast they could traverse the world they live in. Kartikey flew off to traverse the universe, whilst Ganesh did parikrama around Bhagwan Ji and Mata Ji. To Ganesh, his parents were the world. ie. they were his everything.

For centuries Sikhs have tied threads during wedding ceremonies (red gana) which happens till this day. How come we advocate and socially ban one thread tying ceremony (rakhee) over another ? It seems illogical. I have never seen a protest or ban on thread tying at a sikh wedding (karmyai, vaatna, mehndi ..)

Do you know, what is the significance of the red gana?

shaking hands with same gender I have come across. As well as eating langar and sharing a ladoo the baptised Sikhs will eat from each other but not from a non baptised. Does this not signify brahmaic rituals?

This is maryada and it is based on hygiene. A non-Baptized person (born in a Sikh family) is classified as a Nigura (without guru), who is looked down upon in Gurbani. Please have a look at the Gurbani tuks in the link below, which talks about Niguray.

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/16675-who-is-sehajdhari-sikh/?page=1

Sikh and Muslim religions are zaaman asmaan da farak. Don't dilute the two. 

There are similarities between Islam and Sikhism. Please do more research on Islam, if you are unaware of it.

Anyways, we are going off-topic. Can you please start new topics, if you have other questions (other than the ones related to Parikarma)?

Bhul chuk maaf

Always wondered as Anand Karaj are beautiful Shabad - of which a soul merges by steps to Eikh On Kaar. These verses where picked by Guru Amar Das Ji - to represent Laavan. Prior to this we had Laavan of going around fire.  Is it possible for a single person to do Laavan around Guru Granth Sahib  Ji in Anand Karaj ceremony ? In the same way a prakhrama is done around SGGS Ji when we do darshan?

What is the correlation between prakhrama & Laavan deeply embedded?

As both feel like a deep connection of love regardless of whether a marriage ceremony is being performed. 

Do you know, what is the significance of the red gana?

This is maryada and it is based on hygiene. A non-Baptized person (born in a Sikh family) is classified as a Nigura (without guru), who is looked down upon in Gurbani. Please have a look at the Gurbani tuks in the link below, which talks about Niguray.

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/16675-who-is-sehajdhari-sikh/?page=1

There are similarities between Islam and Sikhism. Please do more research on Islam, if you are unaware of it.

Anyways, we are going off-topic. Can you please start new topics, if you have other questions (other than the ones related to Parikarma)?

Bhul chuk maaf

red gana signifies Shagun - for centuries this has been tied at wedding gatherings till today. Places on the wrist.

Are you staying 90% of sikh population are Niguru - since we are not baptised. Another thread needed for this. Briefly, like myself a non baptised sikh our guru is The living SGGSJi. Which itself contains 22 languages to master (currently I'm learning Gurmukhi) ultimately larivaar with kirpa. So to state non baptised Sikhs are Niguru is incorrect & egotistic. 

islam I have read the quoran sharif about and first hand lived through Muslim community experiences. again a separate thread. 

Lets focus on above prakhrama correlation with Laavan 

WJKK WJKF 

Guest jee - Can you please explain the above statement?

Bhul chuk maaf

tying a thread is a thread. Whether it be a gana on wedding ceremony or a Rakhi.

yet we Sikhs make a huge noise and create a  ban on wearing Rakhi (thread) yet we say nothing on Gana. It's double standards. why so is Rakhi tying bad And gana tying not bad ? 

tying a thread is a thread. Whether it be a gana on wedding ceremony or a Rakhi.

yet we Sikhs make a huge noise and create a  ban on wearing Rakhi (thread) yet we say nothing on Gana. It's double standards. why so is Rakhi tying bad And gana tying not bad ? 

Sister, there is no need for a Sikh to wear a Gana or a Rakhi. Even if one wears it, it is not a sin.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Are you staying 90% of sikh population are Niguru - since we are not baptised. Another thread needed for this. Briefly, like myself a non baptised sikh our guru is The living SGGSJi. Which itself contains 22 languages to master (currently I'm learning Gurmukhi) ultimately larivaar with kirpa. So to state non baptised Sikhs are Niguru is incorrect & egotistic. 

Sister, baptism is the mandatory requirement for a person to become a Sikh. People, born in Sikhs families and who have not taken Khanday da amrit are Niguray. Facts cannot be changed. We have to accept the orders of Satguru jee. Do you want us to change the basics of our religion?

Most likely, 60-70% of the so-called Sikhs, also commit the cardinal sin of cutting kesh. Do you know that cutting kesh is as sinful as incest, for a Sikh?

One is not born a Sikh, but becomes one.

islam I have read the quoran sharif about and first hand lived through Muslim community experiences. again a separate thread. 

There are good and bad people in every community. Quran is a good source of knowledge.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

More information on Rakhri:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/16438-origin-of-rakhri/#comment-144517

Bhul chuk maaf

Sister, baptism is the mandatory requirement for a person to become a Sikh. People, born in Sikhs families and who have not taken Khanday da amrit are Niguray. Facts cannot be changed. We have to accept the orders of Satguru jee. Do you want us to change the basics of our religion?

Most likely, 60-70% of the so-called Sikhs, also commit the cardinal sin of cutting kesh. Do you know that cutting kesh is as sinful as incest, for a Sikh?

One is not born a Sikh, but becomes one.

There are good and bad people in every community. Quran is a good source of knowledge.

Bhul chuk maaf

Brother.  what is the definition of a Sikh ? 

You are incorrect in your statement going against SGPC and akal taqt definition of a sikh ... 

Plus Reading and applying SGGS ji first ( followed by learning Farsi, Sanskrit, pashtuo, hindi plus 15 other languages ) can only enable a person to read, veechar and apply SGGSJi - given kirpa of Waheguru. Then subsequent reading /veechar of dasma Granth & Sarlobh Granth. 

Given that - how many Sikhs (baptised) speak 22 languages, know martial arts to carry & use Shree Sahib? 

The only folks in the panth who come close to this are Nihangs. as they are all well rounded & well read & apply these poetic philopshes. 

Have you read / veechared SGGS Ji ? 

Again original question on prakhrama and Laavan you've ignored. Shows your minds intentions - egoistic battering others. 

Beginning to think Nihang singhs can possibly only help answer my question on parkarma & Laavan as I've asked on many social media forums ....and in guru ghar 

Definition of sikh. source SGPC. 

Which does not state have to be baptised - but believe in baptisim. 

Note : I don't use the word Amrit Dharia as this means Pure person and only purity exists in Waheguru - it's Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. 

So stop hijacking words to twist to what you want. Like Gays hijacking rainbow symbol. 

Khalsa is an Arabic word literally meaning Pure. 

Amrit is a Gurmukhi word means nectar. Which exists in every person soul. 

image.jpg

You are incorrect in your statement going against SGPC and akal taqt definition of a sikh ... 

Plus Reading and applying SGGS ji first ( followed by learning Farsi, Sanskrit, pashtuo, hindi plus 15 other languages ) can only enable a person to read, veechar and apply SGGSJi - given kirpa of Waheguru. Then subsequent reading /veechar of dasma Granth & Sarlobh Granth. 

Given that - how many Sikhs (baptised) speak 22 languages, know martial arts to carry & use Shree Sahib? 

The only folks in the panth who come close to this are Nihangs. as they are all well rounded & well read & apply these poetic philopshes. 

Again original question on prakhrama and Laavan you've ignored. Shows your minds intentions - egoistic battering others. 

Beginning to think Nihang singhs can possibly only help answer my question on parkarma & Laavan as I've asked on many social media forums ....and in guru ghar 

what was ur question on prakarama

Gurparsaad, will make a new topic on the definition of a Sikh. The SGPC Rehat Maryada has not been accepted by the panth and has major flaws in it.

JYI - It was formulated during British times, not Satguru's times. Gurparsaad, will make a new topic on it, after consulting with a scholar.

Sister, you were the one who first started talking about off-topic concepts such as threads, Brahmin rituals, soocha, Gana, shake hands, etc, in this thread. 

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

what was ur question on prakarama

again brother for 3rd time pasted question on prakhrama: 

Posted 18 hours ago

Always wondered as Anand Karaj are beautiful Shabad - of which a soul merges by steps to Eikh On Kaar. These verses where picked by Guru Amar Das Ji - to represent Laavan. Prior to this we had Laavan of going around fire.  Is it possible for a single person to do Laavan around Guru Granth Sahib  Ji in Anand Karaj ceremony ? In the same way a prakhrama is done around SGGS Ji when we do darshan? 

As both feel like a deep connection of love regardless of whether a marriage ceremony is being performed. 

Is it possible for a single person to do Laavan around Guru Granth Sahib  Ji in Anand Karaj ceremony ? In the same way a prakhrama is done around SGGS Ji when we do darshan? 

As both feel like a deep connection of love regardless of whether a marriage ceremony is being performed

It's possible you would get weird looks / many would even try to ban it or take it as beadhi as its never been done before but then again we are son and daughters of sri guru nanak dev ji-sri guru gobind singh maharaj who went against social norms of their times...

Regarding anand karaj essence message itself ..i am many celibeate saints who were close to their real self when they listen to anand karaj or read anand karaj i m sure message resonated with them is of unity with real self- supreme soul-paratma.

On 9/1/2015 at 5:44 PM, Tina Kaur said:

2. We need to look deeper into what prakhrama means and what Laavan means .... Not just a marriage ritual or ceremony. Always wondered as Anand Karaj are beautiful Shabad - of which a soul merges by steps to Eikh On Kaar. These verses where picked by Guru Amar Das Ji - to represent Laavan. Prior to this we had Laavan of going around fire.  Is it possible for a single person to do Laavan around Guru Granth Sahib  Ji in Anand Karaj ceremony ? In the same way a prakhrama is done around SGGS Ji when we do darshan? What is the correlation between prakhrama & Laavan deeply embedded? As both feel like a deep connection of love regardless of whether a marriage ceremony is being performed. 

Tina Kaur jee, please listen to the video clip below:

Bhul chuk maaf

It's possible you would get weird looks / many would even try to ban it or take it as beadhi as its never been done before but then again we are son and daughters of sri guru nanak dev ji-sri guru gobind singh maharaj who went against social norms of their times...

Regarding anand karaj essence message itself ..i am many celibeate saints who were close to their real self when they listen to anand karaj or read anand karaj i m sure message resonated with them is of unity with real self- supreme soul-paratma.

veerji - thank you. Reason I ask is a few weeks back the morning Hukamnaama at guru ghar was the 4 Laavan - and I was stunned. As my entire life I thought this was just for marriage - however hearing it that morning r stayed with me circulating till today. 

im no saint Hum toh avgun baths, EiKh gun Na Hei. I'm a mere seeker & learner yearning for the truth. I would not care what people say - I'm past that stage of life - I only care what guru Ji says. For me that is highest order of merging with True Love. 

I don't know any saints - apart from my santhyia teacher (giani preetam Singh) and some katha vaachaks whom come on stage. 

Thinking about it Antam Sanskar - where we recite Kirtan Sohali makes sense to me - since we do this every evening for bedtime prayers. However, I'm still struggling with an answer for circulating on prakhrama & Laavan ceremony as they both mean and feel the same - but one is specifically done for a wedding whilst a prakhrama is done (or should be done) every time w do darshan. 

Sou like Kirtan sohali which is a static prayer done for bed time - prakhrama  & Laavan seem the same. Is that correct reasoning ? 

waheguru Ji ka Khalsa 

waheguru ji Ki Fateh 

Sister, if you want, you can listen to the katha of Sri Laavan Sahib jee. Gyani jee goes into depth too.

Please listen after 13 min.

http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/04-Katha/13-Giani Thakur Singh Ji (Patiala Wale)/Katha Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji/CD10(Ang0748-0885)/0773-Ang-0773-Pankti-01.mp3

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

• 6 years later...