Insomnia......

dalsingh101

Paapiman you should get hold of the Sri Gurmat sakhi Pramaan from the early 1800s.  It has the uthanka of 530 shabads. 

Bro, where can I get that from? Does it have more uthankas, than in the kathas by Srimaan 108 Sant Gyani Gurbachan Singh jee Khalsa Bhindrawale or the same?

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Before going to sleep drink some chamomile tea. It's supposed make you feel all warm and fuzzy for sleeping lol. I drink it regularly and the best part is that it's herbal and caffeine free. Also cut out all caffeine out of your system. I weight lift and do Muay Thai so when I go to bed I'm usually out cold in the first 10 mins or so unless if I have something on my mind. Also put gurbani on play the whole night like an akhand paath or some other bani. It really relaxes the mind. I listen to dukh bhanjani sahib and sukhmani sahib on repeat the whole night.

Anyone know any cures for insomnia??

Most appreciated. 

The very simplest exercise for insomnia is: Exhale from crown to toes, and inhale from the toes to the crown ten times. Just practice this for 10-15 times. Personally, I've noticed that most people don't remember when they fall asleep while doing this exercise. That's it.

There is another very potent but detailed exercise which could treat any chronic case of insomnia within 7 days but at the same time should not be used to fall asleep. Here are the details:

Potent Relaxation (Shithali Karana): As taught by Swami Rama

There is no exercise known to be higher and better than this exercise to alleviate stress, hypertension. It can cure any chronic insomnia case. Even though it is great exercise for insomnia but keep in mind that this exercise should NOT used to fall asleep. If you do this exercise, you will find a difference in the quality of your sleep. In 7 days time it completely changes the whole cycle and anatomy of sleep; the quality of sleep increases and the duration of sleep decreases. Usually you do not really get a deep sleep so that your body is fully rested; you have aches and pains and inertia in the morning. If you do this exercise you will not experience those any longer.

This exercise is also very good for either mentally based or physically based depression. If you do this exercise before meditating, you will find a difference in the quality of your meditation. Practice this exercise for a long time and perfect it. You should have mastery over this exercise and do it accurately. Find out where you are committing mistakes, and then correct your mistakes. You should train your body to follow your mental instructions by doing this exercise. Use pillow under the head for this exercise because otherwise the finer gases from the digestive system can come up and disturb your heart.

Do not retain the breath in this exercise. There should be no jerks, or noises, and the breathing should not be shallow. 2nd chakra is excluded from this exercise. This exercise will drop the pulse rate drop and heart muscle able to rest. The involuntary system also rests; the pumping station that pumps blood to your brain slows down.

1. To begin, the room should be made dark, quiet, and the eyes should be closed. Make sure that you lie on ground or with a thin sheet on ground; never use bed or mattress as it will make your spine curved.
  2. Lie down on your back with a soft pillow (not too big or small, just normal) under the head, with your feet spread and space between two legs, the toes pointed outward, the hands a little bit away from the body, palms up, eyes and lips gently closed, and the tongue relaxed at the roof of the mouth.
  3. First, breathe diaphragmatically 5 times; 5 complete exhalations and 5 inhalations. As you exhale let your abdomen contract, allowing the lungs to expel carbon dioxide. Let the abdominal muscles gently relax when you inhale.
  4. Exhale from the crown of your head to the toes, and inhale from the toes up through the ankles, knees, hip joints, and spinal column and coming back to crown. Do this 10 times.
  5. Exhale from crown to ankles, and inhale from ankles up to crown. 10 times.
  6. Exhale from crown to knees, and inhale from knees up to crown. 10 times.
  7. Exhale from crown to perineum, and inhale from perineum up to crown. 5 times.
  8. Exhale from crown to navel, and inhale from navel up to crown. 5 times.
  9. Exhale from crown to heart center, and inhale from heart up to crown. 5 times.
  10. Exhale from crown to throat, and inhale from throat up to crown. 5 times.
  11. Exhale from crown to bridge between nostrils, and inhale from bridge between nostrils up to crown. 5 times. If one of your nostril is blocked, ask your mind to open it and if it is your friend, then it open it.
  12. Exhale from crown to space between eye-brows, and inhale from space between eye-brows up to crown. 10 times. Here breath will become very short but it is fine breathe. It is not really shallow, but actually deep and fine.
  13. Exhale from crown to bridge between nostrils, and inhale from bridge between nostrils up to crown. 5 times.
  14. Exhale from crown to throat, and inhale from throat up to crown. 5 times.
  15. Exhale from crown to heart center, and inhale from heart up to crown. 5 times.
  16. Exhale from crown to navel, and inhale from navel up to crown. 5 times.
  17. Exhale from crown to perineum, and inhale from perineum up to crown. 5 times.
  18. Exhale from crown to knees, and inhale from knees up to crown. 10 times.
  19. Exhale from crown to ankles, and inhale from ankles up to crown. 10 times.
  20. Exhale from crown to toes, and inhale from toes up to crown. 10 times.
  21. Then gently get up. Throughout this entire exercise relax your whole body and let it inhale and exhale in a natural manner.

In short the summary is:

1. Exhale from crown to toes, and inhale from the toes to the crown ten times.
  2. Do the same with the ankles and knees.
  3. Then 5 times to perineum, navel, heart center, throat, bridge between the nostrils.
  4. Then from space between eyebrows to bridge between nostrils at least 10 times.
  5. Then reverse the process, coming back to the toes.

Edited by das

Pappi and Dalsingh veers ..what i do is i put on katha while sleeping ..and stable speakers like Giani Maskeen ji and Giani Inderjeet singh ji Raqbe waale and Giani Thakur singh ji mostly. No high pitch kathakaars who excite you ..choose the katha which is like based on deep thoughts ..mool mantar katha or anything similiar.

New thing I''m trying: (well old thing really)

Boiled milk with soaked cus-cus and almonds, a few pistas, a walnut or two, some sugar free syrup and ghee (blended in smoothie maker before boiling). 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems sorted now.

Anyone suffering from this, try going vegetarian for a while and see if that helps. 

• 4 months later...

This Shabad can be recited, if one is having troubles to sleep.

ANG 1136

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ ੫

Bhairao, Fifth Mehl:

ਊਠਤ ਸੁਖੀਆ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੁਖੀਆ ॥

Standing up, I am at peace; sitting down, I am at peace.

ਭਉ ਨਹੀ ਲਾਗੈ ਜਾਂ ਐਸੇ ਬੁਝੀਆ ॥੧

I feel no fear, because this is what I understand. ||1||

ਰਾਖਾ ਏਕੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥

The One Lord, my Lord and Master, is my Protector.

ਸਗਲ ਘਟਾ ਕਾ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀਰਹਾਉ ॥

He is the Inner-knower, the Searcher of Hearts. ||1||Pause||

ਸੋਇ ਅਚਿੰਤਾ ਜਾਗਿ ਅਚਿੰਤਾ ॥

I sleep without worry, and I awake without worry.

ਜਹਾ ਕਹਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਤੂੰ ਵਰਤੰਤਾ ॥੨

You, O God, are pervading everywhere. ||2||

ਘਰਿ ਸੁਖਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

I dwell in peace in my home, and I am at peace outside.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ

Says Nanak, the Guru has implanted His Mantra within me. ||3||2||

Bhul chuk maaf

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, sarabatam said:

May be it's too early to tell but I think my insomnia issues are coming to end. Everyone is different but I find full long nitneem done by gyani thakur singh ji patiala wale extra soothing. Last night in 15 mins I am out. I will try again today.

Veer ji thats terrible that you have got insomnia. Hope you get very soon as its a terrible problem to have. Its really good that gurbani helped last night for helping you to sleep veer ji.

Have you seen the doctor about this problem veer ji ?