Handwritten Bir of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji @ Gurdwara Mattan Sahib, Kashmir

CdnSikhGirl

First time in months you have brought anything worth of note to this forum. And very beautiful it is too. Keep it up.

Re the numbering, the old handwritten saroops only have the portfolio numbered whereas the printed standardised versions have each page numbered.The old saroop in my village gurddwara has 890 folio/1780 pages.

Edited by chatanga1

First time in months you have brought anything worth of note to this forum. And very beautiful it is too. Keep it up.

Re the numbering, the old handwritten saroops only have the portfolio numbered whereas the printed standardised versions have each page numbered.The old saroop in my village gurddwara has 890 folio/1780 pages.

I truly believe equality (read: equal treatment and oportunity regardless of our differences) of all Sikhs is very worthy. You may not, because the issue doesn't affect you being a Singh, but many Singhnis are affected by it and frustrated at being told "no" over and over... especially when they may really desire to do seva and serve the panth on equal level to the Singhs (and not be seen as 'simple minded' 'homely' 'domestic' 'incapable' etc. by those same Singhs).  So it is very worthwhile and worthy to me to support empowerment of Singhnis (as well as Singhs, not in lieu of).

But photography is my hobby... and I have been traveling around Kashmir last year and this year taking photos of historical gurdwaras there... Last year I got to photograph Gurdwara Pathar Sahib just outside Leh... where the huge rock is that has the imprint of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, from when the Demon threw it, it melted like wax around Guru Ji's body.  I got to touch that rock... the locals there (Buddhist) still refer to Guru Nanak Dev Ji as "Nanak Llama" and they too visit the Gurdwara regularly to pay respects... anyway I have photo series I took there last Sept. I'll post them later...

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Satkirin Kaur: How many of the kashmiri Sikhs would you regard to be indiginous kashmiris? And in Leh - are they local Sikhs are descendands of Punjabi Sikhs?

Please do post those pictures also

Most are Punjabi descendent, though maybe some are indiginous Kashmiri.  Even for those who are Punjabi background, many their families have been there for generations, so the younger generation for all intents and purposes are kashmiri since they were born and raised there.  In Srinagar there is a huge population and another rge population of Sikhs in Baramulla.  In Leh being a small town, not that many but still there are some, and two Gurdwaras I know of, Pathar Sahib and Datun Sahib (where a tree that Guru Nanak Dev Ji himself planted still grows there). I have photos of there as well.

I was lucky last year as I got to follow the same route (silk route) that Guru Nanak Dev Ji followed on part of his travels.  Over Khardung La to Nubra Valley, and also the Chang La pass to Pangong Tso Lake where he also visited on border of China / Ladakh.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Most are Punjabi descendent, though maybe some are indiginous Kashmiri.  Even for those who are Punjabi background, many their families have been there for generations, so the younger generation for all intents and purposes are kashmiri since they were born and raised there.  In Srinagar there is a huge population and another rge population of Sikhs in Baramulla.  In Leh being a small town, not that many but still there are some, and two Gurdwaras I know of, Pathar Sahib and Datun Sahib (where a tree that Guru Nanak Dev Ji himself planted still grows there). I have photos of there as well.

I was lucky last year as I got to follow the same route (silk route) that Guru Nanak Dev Ji followed on part of his travels.  Over Khardung La to Nubra Valley, and also the Chang La pass to Pangong Tso Lake where he also visited on border of China / Ladakh.

Surnames like Raina , Mattoo , Hukku are of kashmiri origin..there are many of them ...

i have been on this route and to the Gurdwaras too back in 2008

I truly believe that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Since you believe that Guru Gobind Singh Ji directly instructed women to see and serve men as Gods over them ( since you advocate DDTs RM as direct words of Guru Ji himself) then I am not surprised that you don't advocate women equality / equal treatment and not surprised by your accusations that I have no idea what I'm talking about. You probably see me as a lowly inferior female who dares to speak her mind to you ...a male ...who is vastly superior to me? How scandalous huh? As a female I should shut up and obey men right?

You probably see me as a lowly inferior female who dares to speak her mind to you ...a male ...who is vastly superior to me? How scandalous huh? As a female I should shut up and obey men right?

not at all. I see you as a confused person, quite ignorant of certain aspects of Sikhi.

I am not superior to anyone, and where has anyone told you to "shut up and obey men"?

Rather than bring vitriol to the forum, bring something exciting such as the photos you have. This is much more interesting than peddling your confusion and ignorance here.

All I can say is that my mother and sister have never felt left out when it comes to doing Sewa of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. They do it whenever they want, no restriction. Issues of 'masik dharam' never came up. My grandmother/Naani ran the gurudwara by herself, after she moved from Pakistan. My female elders and relatives have never felt any discrimination when practising Sikhi. No one tells them what to do and what not to do. They do as their heart desires.

So when I hear about unequality and discrimination of SIkh women,  the idea feels very foreign to me. 

All I can say is that my mother and sister have never felt left out when it comes to doing Sewa of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. They do it whenever they want, no restriction. Issues of 'masik dharam' never came up. My grandmother/Naani ran the gurudwara by herself, after she moved from Pakistan. My female elders and relatives have never felt any discrimination when practising Sikhi. No one tells them what to do and what not to do. They do as their heart desires.

So when I hear about unequality and discrimination of SIkh women,  the idea feels very foreign to me. 

It gives me hope to read these things, that not everyone things like how some on here (Paapiman) think... 

Dear oh dear.

Answer me one question, SInce none of the Gurus were females, do you beleive that Waheguru directly instructed Guru Ji to see women as inferior?

Thanks

Of course not!  Since Gurbani says the same divine light is in all of us equally and more than that tells us to TREAT everyone equally... Gurbani can not be in disagreement with the Gurus!  The Gurus also encouraged full participation by women and spoke against discriminatory practices against women!  

However, my question still stands regarding DDT's RM.  Because you believe DDTs RM is THE RM directly from Guru Ji's mouth, ineffable and unchanged since Guru JI's time, and since DDT's RM specifically says for women to see (and serve) men as God - and does not have the same instruction for men to see and serve women as God.  Then you have to believe that since this RM is THE word of Guru ji, that he specifically instructed women to see and serve men as Gods over them (inferior position). 

Either you believe Guru Ji said that, or you can't say DDT's RM is THE unchanged and ineffable words from Guru Ji himself.  

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Because you believe DDTs RM is THE RM directly from Guru Ji's mouth, ineffable and unchanged since Guru JI's time, 

I do not believe that Guru Sahib handed down only one maryada. The maryadas for the samprdayes are different.

I do believe that the maryada of the Taksal was started by Guru Sahib himself.