Seva Challenge - Chatanga1

CdnSikhGirl

I have a challenge for you Chatanga1. 

You seem very passionate about those who convert to Sikhi must know Punjabi. As I already pointed out, there are no good resources beyond the Gurmukhi alphabet.  Anyone can find the alphabet online and learn the letters in a few days.  However you can read the alphabet 1000000000 times and not be any closer to understanding the language. You might be able to read and pronounce it but not having any vocabulary or sentence structure etc you will be no closer to actually understanding what it is you are reading.

My challange to you, is if you truly care about this cause, then show me what type of person you are.  Teach me Punjabi! We can do it through email etc.  

Show me how much you truly care to have people understand it by your actions and do this seva.  Please teach me Punjabi. 

Good to see that you wish to increase your Panjabi knowledge. But I am not the person best suited to this job because learning a language through email is not very good. When I wanted to learn some basic Persian/Kurdish, I looked on youtube. There should be some good videos there.

Have a look at this and read some of the comments as well.:

Videos are a good way to start. once you start repeating it properly then you can try it with other. If there was a shortqage of Sikhs in Canada, then fair enough, I would oblige.

I used to teach a young man from Canada the "Dilruba" via skype, but that was only because the class nearest to him was over 200 miles away.

I'm sure you won't have that problem finding a Panjabi speaker.

Edited by chatanga1

Why don't you just give her a couple of pointers via the forum Chatanga? 

A couple of basic sentences. 

I'm serious. It's not a trap.

I want to learn Punjabi, and there is no good resource here (edit: here as in locally where I am in Canada).  His posts show he so passionate that all Sikhs need to be fluent in Punjabi... so I want to see him show his true character by doing this seva.  

I want him to redirect this frustration and negative energy he has for non Punjabi Sikhs - instead of ridiculing me for not knowing Punjabi and trying to make me feel miserable about it, I want him to use that energy to instead do something positive and teach it to me.

There is no trap... and if he does teach me some Punjabi, I will actually be appreciative.  

I suggested this because there is only one thing I hate in this world... and that is hatred itself.  I was hoping through interacting in this way, we could resolve some differences. 

Note: I have roughly 30 mins each night to talk to my husband. That's it.  And we spend most of it catching up on the day... so it's not possible to do over the phone. I am nowhere even close to being able to talk to him in Punjabi for those 30 mins. Though I do know one phrase... (main tenu pyare kardi haan) and I think kidda is how are you and tikka is ok? Thats about my limit... 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

thats cute, but I am sure you can do better than that. lol

I know food items like matar paneer, and aloo matar (aloo being potato and mater being peas and paneer is cheese).  Rotis obviously.  And I know the word for water only because I was in Kashmir when the flood happened last year (for real I was in Srinagar - I must have took over 100 photos of the flood at ground 0 so to speak) so water is pani - they would always update the levels.  And I can count to 5.  ik do tin char panj.  I knew satya was truth, and kiran ray of light.  I think "or" means "and"??? I hear it in a lot of sentences... so it must be a word like to or and one that is used a lot to join parts of sentences... hmmm pyar is love. Ok I think that's my entire Punjabi vocabulary.  Oh and masala chai because I order it a lot at Starbucks. 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Okay, So trusting that he won't abuse it, I have sent Chatanga1 my personal email address. Next step is his.  If he helps me to learn at least a little bit of Punjabi, I will be greatful to him for that. If he does not, then I don't want to see any more posts from him complaining that I can't speak Punjabi.  Because if he is totally unwilling to teach someone something for which he has the skills, then he should not be degrading people for not possesing those same skills. It's like saying, I know how to ride a bike, and you don't so you should feel super crappy that you don't know how to ride one, go spend some time learning how to ride a bike - That negative energy could have much better been used to just show the other person how to ride a bike!

This is his chance to channel turn negative (his obvious anger and hatred of non-Punjabis) into something positive (instead of tearing people down for what they don't have, build them up by teaching it to them - not demeaning them) while also doing some seva which will be good for his soul.   He doesnt have to like me at all in order to do this.  Though I was hoping that through this interaction, he would come to see I am really not at all how he thinks of me, and that we could resolve our differences. 

Next move is his.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

chatanga dont fall into the trap ,

I know exactly what she is up to.

I'm serious. It's not a trap.

Like I would beleive that.

Okay, So trusting that he won't abuse it, I have sent Chatanga1 my personal email address. Next step is his.  If he helps me to learn at least a little bit of Punjabi, I will be greatful to him for that. If he does not, then I don't want to see any more posts from him complaining that I can't speak Punjabi.  Because if he is totally unwilling to teach someone something for which he has the skills, then he should not be degrading people for not possesing those same skills. It's like saying, I know how to ride a bike, and you don't so you should feel super crappy that you don't know how to ride one, go spend some time learning how to ride a bike - That negative energy could have much better been used to just show the other person how to ride a bike!

This is his chance to channel turn negative (his obvious anger and hatred of non-Punjabis) into something positive (instead of tearing people down for what they don't have, build them up by teaching it to them - not demeaning them) while also doing some seva which will be good for his soul.   He doesnt have to like me at all in order to do this.  Though I was hoping that through this interaction, he would come to see I am really not at all how he thinks of me, and that we could resolve our differences. 

Next move is his.

First you offered to send my your email, and then sent it anyway. Have you forgotten the lies you told about our first and only conversation via PM?

Why on earth did you think I would want to communicate that way again? I have no intention of communicating with you via PM. Next time if you volunteer something, at least wait for an answer. If you had some fears about mistrust why send it? To make yourself look like the innocent willing party? Your post above tells me exactly why I can't help you. My "hatred" of non-Panjabis, ? Then you say I may see you for what you really are? Don't think so high of yourself. I may be thick but I can see you for what you are.

My next move is to reply to you exactly what I said yesterday. I hope I don't have to repeat it tomorrow. You have the resources around you or on the internet. Don't be so lazy that you can't search them out. 18 years of studying Sikhi, but only 10 words of Panjabi. Then I tell you, that anyone who wants to make a serious study of Gurmat needs a good understanding of Panjabi, to help with the more deeper stuff, and suddenly I am the one who has to teach you? What a joke.

Stop playing the victim.

chatanga dont fall into the trap , you submit to the challenge you lose , its a trick, haha, jus kidin

What she is doing is pretending that I am the only one who can help her, and asking me, knowing full well that I will refuse to do it, therefore making me the unreasonable party and her the innocent victim.

Next move is his.

amardeep are you going to allow blatant lies on the forum?

Chatanga1: Actually, I really was hoping that you would do it... Okay so you have no right to put people down anymore then for not knowing Punjabi, since you are unwilling to help them. 

Anyone else: If anyone else has some free time, please PM me.  I can not learn by reading by myself and just seeing the alphabet with a few words.  I need someone to actually explain language concepts etc to me and give examples etc.  So if anyone is interested to help a Canadian girl out, pls PM me.  Thanks. 

You can find speeches from sant Jarnail Singh  ji on youtube with english subtitles. Of course, then you might end up in josh after every lesson! I find Gyani Thakur Singh ji's punjabi to be fairly easy to understand, depending on your starting point. Just look words up with punjabi-english dictionary. Also, Sikhnet has great resources. Many of Yogi Bhajan's speeches have been translated to English. listening to these, along with using your other methods, you can build up your understanding of Punjabi at a reasonably decent speed.

I guess some people were just destined to keep themsleves at the bottom. Not anyone else's fault but their own.  I don't look down on you for it. I just feel pity for you. That you would waste valuable time in frivolous activity when you could be learning Panjabi to help you more with Sikhi.

I guess some people were just destined to keep themsleves at the bottom. Not anyone else's fault but their own.  I don't look down on you for it. I just feel pity for you. That you would waste valuable time in frivolous activity when you could be learning Panjabi to help you more with Sikhi.

For someone who considers himself such an expert at Sikhi, you have not even learned how to be a proper decent human.  

Knowing a specific language is not required for spiritual progression...or even for liberation itself, but humanity and compassion most definitely are. 

It's me who feels pity for you...

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur