• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 12:30 AM, Premi said:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/feb/18/a-disease-caste-discrimination-in-australia-is-on-the-rise-but-some-are-fighting-back

‘A disease’: Caste discrimination in Australia is on the rise – but some are fighting back

Fri 17 Feb 2023 19.00 GMT

When Rakesh Kumar migrated to Australia from Punjab in India 16 years ago, the discrimination followed him. Before he could even enter the house he would be staying in he was asked: “What is your caste?”

“I said I’m Chamar,” Kumar says. The term is a Punjabi equivalent of the Dalit caste.

With India now the third most common birthplace of Australian residents, according to the 2021 census, and with migration from south Asia on the rise, many are worried about caste discrimination escalating in Australia.

The Hindu caste system, which is assigned at birth and determines occupations and social status, is made up of four tiers, with Brahmins or priests and teachers at the top and Dalits at the bottom. Dalits are often tasked with scavenging and street cleaning, are considered “untouchable” and are outcast from Indian society.

Questions about Kumar’s caste followed him into his career. He now manages a team at a Melbourne logistics company.

In 2013, Kumar says, he bought a car with a number plate that read chamar “so that no one asks me”.

Kumar, who has a career as a logistics manager, subverted a trend among upper-caste south Asians who flaunt their status on Australian number plates: “When I tell them my caste with pride, people feel ashamed, they realise they did something wrong.”

Rakesh Kumar in his living roomKumar has experienced discrimination at work. Photograph: Penny Stephens/The Guardian

Despite his professional success he has still been discriminated against. He once overheard a colleague suggesting that he had only progressed so far because his mother or grandmother must have slept with someone from a higher caste.“That was the worst experience I had,” Kumar says.

It was after this incident that Kumar’s organisation received an email from an unknown source, requesting that the company only hire people of higher castes.

For others, the discrimination is not so direct.

Aparna Ramteke, a Sydney recruitment consultant, has been in professional situations where those around her engage in banter about castes. If someone is excluded from a conversation they might say: “Am I an untouchable? Don’t treat me like an untouchable.”

“They don’t know that I belong to that community, or that there might be others who might be from the community,” she says. “So even though they might be just joking around it’s actually singling out the community.

“It really puts you down. You feel a bit guilty about your identity.”

South and central Asian countries now form the largest group of new migrants to Australia, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. In 2018-19 and 2021-22 the region accounted for 28% and 32% of new arrivals respectively.

A professor of law at Melbourne University, Beth Gaze, says: “With the expansion of our subcontinental community I think it’s inevitable that [caste discrimination] is going to turn into a major problem in Australia. And I don’t think we can address other forms of racism without taking account of that.”

Vaibhav Gaekwad, a sustainability professional, says the reason there is little awareness about caste in Australia is because the south Asian community is dominated by upper or oppressor castes who deny the existence of discrimination.

“They occupy key decision-making positions in public and private sectors,” Gaekwad says. “They will always claim that this type of discrimination does not exist.

See. Chumars!!! Jk