Kavi Santokh Singh

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

I got nothing to add to this thread 'cept this - It's Jap ji, not Japu ji. The Aunkarh on Jap indicates that it is a noun (as opposed to a verb), thus it is not pronounced.

Japu is not a word. Perhaps a nickname for those with the name Jap.

Sorry. Habit of mine. Not sure where I got it from.

14 hours ago, amardeep said:

Kavi Santokh Singh is bad bad bad:

"I had the urge to take each and every verse of Anandghan's commentary and refute them, but the fear of writing too bulky a granth stopped me from doing so".

lol. ouch!!!

Bhaji from what little I've seen of both teeka-s it seems that the main difference between are that Anandghan's teeka is much less detailed than Kavi Santokh Singh's. Also Anandghan wrongly states that the avatar-s are equal to Akal Purakh and Guru Nanak in all respects, so that saying the name of Brahmaji is equal to saying Waheguru. I personally have nothing against this but this is difficult to relate to the larger message of Gurbani. Kavi Santokh Singh's teeka also has a Vedantic feel to it which Anandghan's teeka doesn't have as it is much more literal and straightforward.

2 minutes ago, Jatro said:

Bhaji from what little I've seen of both teeka-s it seems that the main difference between are that Anandghan's teeka is much less detailed than Kavi Santokh Singh's. Also Anandghan wrongly states that the avatar-s are equal to Akal Purakh and Guru Nanak in all respects, so that saying the name of Brahmaji is equal to saying Waheguru. I personally have nothing against this but this is difficult to relate to the larger message of Gurbani. Kavi Santokh Singh's teeka also has a Vedantic feel to it which Anandghan's teeka doesn't have as it is much more literal and straightforward.

Singh it is good to have you here on the page sharing your knowledge with us.

The Vedant take is very common in nirmala literature. What is your view on this - is vedant a foreign element imposed onto Sikhi or has vedant been integral to Sikhi since the early beginning ? (as the nirmalas claim).

45 minutes ago, amardeep said:

The Vedant take is very common in nirmala literature. What is your view on this - is vedant a foreign element imposed onto Sikhi or has vedant been integral to Sikhi since the early beginning ? (as the nirmalas claim).

I think there are many similarities between Gurmat and Vedanta, but there are differences too. For instance in Sankara-s Advait Vedanta primacy is given to Gyan and Bhakti has little, if any, role to play. Ramanujan's school does integrate Bhakti in a big way and is most similar to Guru Nanak's core message. But Gurmat can be interpreted in a "secular" non-Vedantic manner also which will have more in common with moral philosophy and philosophy of the self which is prevalent today. This is a part of the greatness of Gurbani, it makes sense at countless levels.

Kavi Santokh Singh mentions Sankara, Patanjali, Ramanujan etc. in different places of the Japji Sahib teeka, i'll take a closer look to see how he uses their theories in his commentary of the japji sahib.

It is interesting that the sewa panthis also saw Sikhi through Vedantic lenses. Tsingh who was a nirmala and used to write on this forum many years ago was of the opinion that vedanta is an integral part of Gurmat.

Vedant is taught at DDT too.

20 minutes ago, Jatro said:

But Gurmat can be interpreted in a "secular" non-Vedantic manner also which will have more in common with moral philosophy and philosophy of the self which is prevalent today. This is a part of the greatness of Gurbani, 

Excellent point above.

Bhul chuk maaf

8 hours ago, Jatro said:

Also Anandghan wrongly states that the avatar-s are equal to Akal Purakh and Guru Nanak in all respects, so that saying the name of Brahmaji is equal to saying Waheguru.

This is not the case.

Kavi Kalya ji also says this, which is recorded in Guru Granth Sahib.

7 hours ago, Jatro said:

But Gurmat can be interpreted in a "secular" non-Vedantic manner also which will have more in common with moral philosophy and philosophy of the self which is prevalent today.

This is not the case.

Vishisht Advait will always remain part of Guru Granth Sahib. It is inseparable. It's always in your face throughout the scripture.

The interpretations that are prevalent today are lacking information. They are ignoring bits of Guru Granth Sahib. They do not understand what belief system Gurus had.

On 4/3/2016 at 10:03 AM, Jatro said:

Bhaji from what little I've seen of both teeka-s it seems that the main difference between are that Anandghan's teeka is much less detailed than Kavi Santokh Singh's. Also Anandghan wrongly states that the avatar-s are equal to Akal Purakh and Guru Nanak in all respects, so that saying the name of Brahmaji is equal to saying Waheguru.

You are right Paaji. How can one compare a river to an ocean?

Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Rai Dev Bedi jee Maharaaj is the incarnation of the Almighty Waheguru and is the greatest.

For more details, please have a look below:

Bhul chuk maaf

Guest sikhkosh
On 03/04/2016 at 4:08 PM, amardeep said:

some early sources debunk the hindu sanatan and nirmala myths. sikhs in 1700s had no regard for vedas etc. mind you this was prior to the vedanti-hindu-fication of sikhi by the 1800s.

dabistan i mazahib shows sikhs had no regard for sanskrit even prior to dasam pita. the instruction of guru gobind singh maharaj to learn sanskrit have to be taken in another context, rather than them being sanskrit upashaks (lovers).

many persian and english sources of 18th century confirm sikhs believed in one god and did not pay any respects to brahma, vishnu etc (tiefenthaller, crauford et al).

fact is also that early sources always have simple names for god, i.e. chaupa singh rahat as opposed to more pronounced devi worship in latter 1700 / 1800s sources.

Develop self-awareness, and thus awareness of your ignorance.

Be aware.

Realize that stuff you may take to be knowledge may also be ignorance.

Be ignorant.

Most people are not being ignorant, even though they are. They are pretending to know things they don't really know. Thus they are not being honest.

Be honest.

Then some people become honest about their comfort with ignorance and the facade of knowledge they have put up so intimately in their mind. Don't get comfortable in ignorance and the false webbing of the mind.

Be uncomfortable.

Some people become uncomfortable again and again, trying to push the limits of their knowledge. They either get drained. Or resign back to comfort. The only solution to that is meditation on God. Developing a trust in God.

Be trusting of God.

Trust in God comes from awareness.

Be aware.

They are pretending to know things they don't really know. Thus they are not being honest.

You ever find yourself doing this Bhagat? 

10 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

You ever find yourself doing this Bhagat? 

Yes, I pretend to know God but I don't actually know.

I just enjoy it.

Like a blind kid being shown all these pictures, and he likes what he sees and uncontrollably giggles and laughs, but he doesn't know what he is looking at because he can't see it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 9:10 AM, paapiman said:

Gyani Gyan Singh jee wrote in his writings that Sri Satguru jee (Tenth Master) used to consume Afeem. 

Reason - He himself used to consume Afeem. He was caught red handed by a Gurmukh consuming it. This is mentioned in Amir Bhandar teeka too.

Having said that, it is possible that Singhs used to consume Afeem for medicinal purposes or while in a battlefield.

Bhul chuk maaf

Gyani Gyan Singh jee exposed in Amir Bhandar Teeka. Please have a look below:

Gyani Gyan Singh.jpg

@Sajjan_Thug - Apologies for the delay brother.

Bhul chuk maaf