Contribution of Overseaz Sikhz to Sikhizm...

Guest BikramjitSingh

I go to Delhi every year.

Gurfateh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

As a footy fanatic looks like 1-0 to Gurpreet Kaur Ji. Would have said 5-0 but Gurpreet Kaur is a Man U fan :)

Sardu I agree with your point that the usual stuff we here about Sikhi on the wane in India is not the case everywhere in India just in some areas of Punjab.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no veere!!! i (we) didn't ( never) mean to say that!! NRIs have definetly done great service to the religion and to the nation (?).

Why this Question Mark Dear :roll:

The source you use to get the information is what.. a web site?? what is the authenticity?

Exactly :twisted:

There are many problem within the relgion here, but, than, where it is not?

Very Much True

and we generally don't discuss about those problems because we (want to) know very lillte about them.

India is way way different than the countries , you guys, live in. India is not an easy place to live as compare to your developed countries.. but We live here and we live Proudly.

:D ...

No matter how difficult the life here, we enjoy it. One day we may have argument with hindu or muslim brother but other day we will be celebrating some festival togther, greeting each other, hugging each other. Positive side is, at least we can argue, we can raise voice.. or demand. Outside.. is that possible? where one has to go to court so that he can wear "Pagh" officially at work. Brother(s), Sister(s) and Friend(s), from outside the problems here may look BIG or serious... but for us these are not big deals.. we can and we do tackle with them easily. We didn't let the religion DIE here.. We just didn't show our concern and spoke. We have kept the religion in "Chadhi Kala".

Gr8 Analysis :D

Go to any city of north India, talk to people, Sikhs has reserved the respect of being "Most hard workers" and "most lively ones" Everywhere.

I think Sikhz are recognized as Hard Worker thourgh our this Globe.

I can't say anything about the Respect and Place in the scoiety earned by NRIs in Their respective countries/cities, for the reason that i am not aware. I certainly hope for a distinct reputation of sikh community in those coutries.... because after all we all are sikhs.. we leave our impression of hard work and royality where ever we go.

Yup !!!

And when we question the contribution of NRIs' contribution to sikhism it is out of the quest to know what we don't know? Its certainly not finer pointing without full information or half information received through web-site or other means. We actually want to know what is the position/ respect/recognization we sikhs have out there. But, Sadly this is what you get in response...

Please Discuss

Now the following goes towardz the contribution of NRI Sikhz... :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../11/ixhome.html

The launch of the first political party solely for British Sikhs is being accompanied by a warning that the Government could cause huge damage in Labour heartlands unless the wishes of Sikhs are taken more seriously.

The Sikh Federation (UK) will set up branches in each major town and city with a sizeable Sikh population. It will not initially put up its own candidates for local, national and European elections, but it intends to back any party that best represents its members.

Dabinderjit Singh, its spokesman, said Sikhs were angry that, despite promises from the Government, they felt consistently let down over issues of identity.

Although there are 700,000 Sikhs in Britain, making them the country's third largest faith, they are still monitored and categorised as "Indians".

Mr Singh complained that there had been a failure to address security issues since the September 11 attacks, after which a number of Sikhs were attacked as hostilities towards ethnic minorities in some areas increased.

He said: "I can name a dozen Labour ministers who have a large number of Sikhs in their constituencies and what the Sikh Federation is there for is to say that unless you start helping us and taking our issues seriously we will not vote for you.

"The Conservatives have been very helpful and very willing to listen, more so than the Government." Mr Singh criticised the Government for failing to send a minister to the National Sikh Convention in Wolverhampton this week. The gathering is expected to attract 10,000 people.

Details of when the federation will begin its work will be announced at the convention.

What's this "NRI Sikh" crap? Sikhs are not "Indians", they are Punjabis or nationals of the countries where they have citizenship. There are no such things as "NRI Sikhs", only British Sikhs, American Sikhs, German Sikhs, French Sikhs etc.

FF

A person who could not become a Indian Sikh... How could he become a American Sikh or a French Sikh ?

The term "NRI Sikhz" coverz all these identities combined...

in the uk, there is allot of promotion of sikhi amongst youths, there are regular camps and discussion meetings, lectures at universitys, etc etc

the main thing is that the poeple in certain parts of the world concentrate on the area they are situated in rather then trying to make a huge contribution to sikhi as a whole

for example, teach children about sikhi in their area, settin up small classes such as these around the country.. if other sikhs around the world do the same then that would be best contribution altogether

forgive me if im wrong, but in india do they have such camps? cos ive never seen or heard of one.. to me it seems like there is a huge attraction towards sikhi amongst older generations, and less with the younger

maybe ideal singh or sardu veer would like to shed more lite onto this :D

I agree with Bhaji Steel Bangle, this is what I was saying previously, I see many older Sikhs who are passionate but the younger generation is becoming so westernised, and this is not just Delhi, but Punjab too.

Yeah, never heard of Gurmat camps in India :? :shock:

a gurmat camp is a event more or less organised by younger sikhs for other youth

a remote area is chosen which includes living quarters, a darbar hall, and langar hall.. people get a chance to mingle with other sikhs of same age and learn about their religion

gurmat camps include discussions between the visitors, lectures from various guests, kirtan sessions, physical sports etc etc

Guest Javanmard

Ideal Singh wrote

A person who could not become a Indian Sikh... How could he become a American Sikh or a French Sikh ?

The term "NRI Sikhz" coverz all these identities combined...

well maybe somepeople would not like to be termed as NRI because it implies a relationship to India that is not necesseraly that strong. I doubt very much that decond generation SIkhs would qualify themselves as NRI Many were born in UK, France, USA, Canada and find that it's more correct to qualify them as American or British etc SIkhs.

I think the term Sikh diaspora is more appropriated as it is not an Indian administrative term :D

Guest BikramjitSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

There are many Gurmat camps in India. The Sikh Missionary College holds Gurmat camps in many places as does other Sikh organisations like Guru Gobind Singh Study Circle. They also hold Gurmat Classes in many villages and bastis in the towns.

NRI is a term used by Indian Government to gain political leverage in other countries. In the UK when the Sikhs asked for separate monitoring as an ethnic category and not as 'Indians' it was the Indian media that raised a hue and cry over what was basically an internal affair for the Sikhs and the British Government.

The GOI has now come up with a 'PIO' person of Indian origin. This is another attempt to hoodwink Sikhs abroad into thinking they are 'indians'.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

in the uk, there is allot of promotion of sikhi amongst youths, there are regular camps and discussion meetings, lectures at universitys, etc etc

the main thing is that the poeple in certain parts of the world concentrate on the area they are situated in rather then trying to make a huge contribution to sikhi as a whole

for example, teach children about sikhi in their area, settin up small classes such as these around the country.. if other sikhs around the world do the same then that would be best contribution altogether

forgive me if im wrong, but in india do they have such camps? cos ive never seen or heard of one.. to me it seems like there is a huge attraction towards sikhi amongst older generations, and less with the younger

maybe ideal singh or sardu veer would like to shed more lite onto this :D

This is nice.. hat eforts in other countries are being made for the good of sikhi. So far, India is concern, yes lots of things (activity)happen .. apart from other activities, sikhi is taught in school/colleges..

What's this "NRI Sikh" crap? Sikhs are not "Indians", they are Punjabis or nationals of the countries where they have citizenship. There are no such things as "NRI Sikhs", only British Sikhs, American Sikhs, German Sikhs, French Sikhs etc.

FF

Bro/Sis.

If they are not Indian.. how can they be Punjabis :? !! Sikh religion was born in india.. so it belongs to India.. all gurus belongs to india.. every gurusikh "should" one way or other belongs to India.. our roots are in India.. and so on and so forth!! :)

Guest Javanmard

DEar Sardu you are kind of right if by India you mean the Indian sub-continent including Pakistan and Banglasesh, nepal and Bhutan. If it's India as a nation-state plus government then clearly NO :twisted:

Guest BikramjitSingh

wat the hell!

sikhi does not belong to india...and definately guru jis do not belong to india

that makes me cringe..

did ne1 watch 'goodness gracious me' and that guys dad who said everyone was indian....

sardu i see him in you praavah!!

In Gurbani Guru Nanak only refers to Hindustan once which at that time was the northern Indian empire of the Lodhis. Bhai Gurdas refers to Punjab in his Vars. Too many people project present day India which only has ahistory as a political entity of 50 odd years back into the times of the Gurus. Using the faulty logic of some of the Indians on this forum then technically doesn't Guru Nanak belong to Pakistan since he was born in Nankana Sahib and spent the last 20 years in Kartarpur Sahib ?.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

DEar Sardu you are kind of right if by India you mean the Indian sub-continent including Pakistan and Banglasesh, nepal and Bhutan. If it's India as a nation-state plus government then clearly NO :twisted:

Obiviously.... Pakistan/bangladesh are included. No doubt!!:D.

wat the hell!

sikhi does not belong to india...and definately guru jis do not belong to india

lol.. you are lying..!! :P . They belong to this sacred soil..they will always belong to India/Bharat. Roots of Sikhism belongs to this sub-continent..

In Gurbani Guru Nanak only refers to Hindustan once which at that time was the northern Indian empire of the Lodhis. Bhai Gurdas refers to Punjab in his Vars. Too many people project present day India which only has ahistory as a political entity of 50 odd years back into the times of the Gurus. Using the faulty logic of some of the Indians on this forum then technically doesn't Guru Nanak belong to Pakistan since he was born in Nankana Sahib and spent the last 20 years in Kartarpur Sahib ?.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Agreed on last line... when i was refering to India.. i actually meant. Indian Sub continental.. i.e.India Including Pakistan and Bangladesh. And please You guys don't tell me That North India is seperate entity.. Bikramjit veere.. When you mention guru nanak jis' birth place.. why don't you mention other guru's birth place too? Where is Anandpur Sahib... China? Where is Hemkund Sahib ... Italy? Where is Sheesh Ganj Gurudwara.. London? Where is Harminder Sahib... South hall? And if you guys have some objection on the name India,(Which obiviously i also have since this name was given by british... ) Change it to Bharat or ( i won't prefer though)- Hindustan.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed on last line... when i was refering to India.. i actually meant. Indian Sub continental.. i.e.India Including Pakistan and Bangladesh. And please You guys don't tell me That North India is seperate entity.. Bikramjit veere.. When you mention guru nanak jis' birth place.. why don't you mention other guru's birth place too? Where is Anandpur Sahib... China? Where is Hemkund Sahib ... Italy? Where is Sheesh Ganj Gurudwara.. London? Where is Harminder Sahib... South hall?

I kind of agree with Sardu...

I would say just one thing: Whatz in the Name? Naan'ch kee rakhyaa? Sikhism is for everyone in this world... :D

to be blunt....sardu ur talkin out <admin-cut>

how does sikhi belong to india!! wat kind of stupid logic is that!!!

sikhi belongs to noone but Guru Ji's and Akal Purakh...

1st of all im glad that im nt a singh in india....at the moment its a disgrace to sikhi...my brother went 2 india just now and at the local gurdwareh there was never anyone there...and the lack of singhs was upsetting...

how can sikhi belong to such a place?? it doesnt and never did....and ne1 who says it does is just talking crap...

sorry to be so harsh but all this indians are best coz sikhi started here attitiude pissed me off

I agree with Jassa Bhaji. I don't like the attitude of Sikhs in India when they claim 'ownership' to Sikhi and exclude everyone else. Grow up :roll:

'Manas ki jaat sabhey ek pehchaan bo'<----Hello?!

Gurfateh

to be blunt....sardu ur talkin out <admin-cut>

:twisted: .. lol!! koi nah..

I agree with Jassa Bhaji. I don't like the attitude of Sikhs in India when they claim 'ownership' to Sikhi and exclude everyone else. Grow up :roll:

'Manas ki jaat sabhey ek pehchaan bo'<----Hello?!

Gurfateh

Exclude eveyone elase?? :shock: .. Now what should i say on this my friend. You are Intelligent.. ur posts have reflected that. Still.. u r saying/thinking like that. Where did u notice this? Did my post say so at any point of time.. No body "owns" sikhi.. no body can... and who anyone is to exlcude someone from sikhi?? And Mate, if u think that only by saying anyone can/will become good or bad sikh.. Here i say.. You people are the best Sikhs ever.... All of you....including them who support "Hate" between religions.. Every one of you.. you are the owner.. I am only a "Sewek" and I am pretty happy... Ownership.. Huh??? Before i proceed.. Let me "Re-post" my own post(s)..

Bro/Sis.

If they are not Indian.. how can they be Punjabis :? !! Sikh religion was born in india.. so it belongs to India.. all gurus belongs to india.. every gurusikh "should" one way or other belongs to India.. our roots are in India.. and so on and so forth!! :)

Obiviously.... Pakistan/bangladesh are included. No doubt!!:D.

.In my post i just said.. That punjabis are who lives in Punjab and Punjab is in India.. and hence there exist a term called "NRI Sikhs".. Now Where was i wrong?? :? .. Please give a logical answer... Please.!!! it was metter of where did sikhi originally belongs to.. not the ownership part.. and i agree with ideal.. Its everywhere....

And yes.. Thanks!! :D

Reagrds

sardu

praavah i dont care about NRI indians...im def. nt a proud indian but i wont go into that(and i find it hard to believe any sikh is after the way they treat us)...wat i was shocked to read was this...

Sikh religion was born in india.. so it belongs to India.. all gurus belongs to india.. every gurusikh "should" one way or other belongs to India

sardu i dont know if its a matter of we not on the same wavelength and you say sometihng and me understanding another thing....but small things you say like Khalistan is pointless really hurts some ppl...i mean i didnt realy pay atention...but think of al the singhs that died for khalsitan...and inadvertently you've described it as pointless...

Guest BikramjitSingh

praavah i dont care about NRI indians...im def. nt a proud indian but i wont go into that(and i find it hard to believe any sikh is after the way they treat us)...wat i was shocked to read was this...

sardu i dont know if its a matter of we not on the same wavelength and you say sometihng and me understanding another thing....but small things you say like Khalistan is pointless really hurts some ppl...i mean i didnt realy pay atention...but think of al the singhs that died for khalsitan...and inadvertently you've described it as pointless...

I really don't understand people like Sardu and Ideal Singh. How can any

self respecting Sikh ever call himself an Indian ?. How many Jewish survivors of the holocaust refer to themselves as 'German' Jews even though they have been born in Germany or lived there during their childhood ?. What these two guys don't realise is that a significant number of Sikhs abroad don't refer to themselves as 'Indian' or like to claim to belong to a country called 'India'. At work whenever we get the ethnic monitoring questionaires around I put down 'Sikh' as my ethnic category. I would never classify myself as an 'indian'. When ever someone asks me where my family is from originally from, I say 'Punjab' because that is the region we come from, a region with which we have strong ties which we do not have the 50 odd year old political entity called India.

No doubt these guys will be shocked but a growing number of Sikhs are seeking to de-link their origin or the origin of their religion from 'India'.