Sri Charitropakhian Sahib jee Series - Charitar #8

paapiman

22 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Anthriv Arths

• The police can possibly represent the Jamdoots of Sri Dharam Raaj jee.
  • The lady (as discussed above) can possibly represent God or Jeev Aatma (which is part of Parmatama)

What can the four men represent? 

• There are four types of desires - Kaam, Arth, Mokh and one more.
  • There are four types of Muktis - Sameep, Saroop, Sadhuj and one more.
  • There are four Khanis - Andaj, Jayraj, Saytaj and Uthbhuj

Any connections?

Bhul chuk maaf

Could also mean two pairs, like Janam/maran and Harkh/sog

Also there is this Salok of Bhagat Kabir Ji

ਕਬੀਰ ਏਕ ਮਰੰਤੇ ਦੁਇ ਮੂਏ ਦੋਇ ਮਰੰਤਹ ਚਾਰਿ ॥ਚਾਰਿ ਮਰੰਤਹ ਛਹ ਮੂਏ ਚਾਰਿ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੁਇ ਨਾਰਿ ॥੯੧॥

You could check an old sampardayi teeka about what '4 purakh' means

2 hours ago, amardeep said:

Fire as a means of execution was not allowed in the early Islamic territories as it was considered the punishment of God only.

They still feel this way. Sikhs have a lot of trouble performing agan sanskar as part of antim sanskar in Afghanistan. Even a Pakistani said he thought that Sikhs were Hindus because we prefer cremation.

By burning the house, the lady was able to accomplish two goals:

• She killed the men, which would imply that no one could accuse her of a bad character, even though she was kind of a slut (had sexual relations with 4 men) .
  • She burned all the evidence, which could have indicted her for magic crimes. These people, who are into magic, usually keep some items (feathers, masks, bracelets, signs, symbols, etc) which point towards their profession/hobby. 

Bhul chuk maaf

7 minutes ago, paapiman said:

By burning the house, the lady was able to accomplish two goals:

• She killed the men, which would imply that no one could accuse her of a bad character, even though she was kind of a slut (had sexual relations with 4 men) .
  • She burned all the evidence, which could have indicted her for magic crimes. These people, who are into magic, usually keep some items (feathers, masks, bracelets, signs, symbols, etc) which point towards their profession/hobby. 

Bhul chuk maaf

It's cute when you use the word slut haha

1 minute ago, amardeep said:

I dont know if I believe there are any spiritual teachings to be found in the Charitro Pakhyan. It's a sansaari bani and is known in the tradition as such.

Bro, keep an open mind towards it. Once you listen to the entire katha of SSGGSJ (especially by Vidya Martand Srimaan 108 Sant Gyani Gurbachan Singh jee Khalsa Bhindranwale), you will, most likely, get a feeling that these Charitars have anthriv arths.

Bhul chuk maaf

12 minutes ago, amardeep said:

I dont know if I believe there are any spiritual teachings to be deduced from the Charitro Pakhyan. It's a sansaari bani and is known in the tradition as such.

Hehe bhul chuk maaf but I think this is the 405th Charitar, the missing one, which is being played on the reader

Isn't the 405th the Sri Chaupai Sahib?

I haven't seen it myself but i've heard from numerous people that the Sikhaan Di Bhagatmala contains some verses wherein it is written that the Dasam Granth is divided into three forms of bani. Amrit Bani (Jaap Sahib, Akal Ustat etc), Yudh Mai Bani (Chabis avatar, Bachitar Natak, Chandi Charitras etc) and Sansaar di bani (Charitro pakhyan).  As such, there is very little spiritual teachings to be found within the Charitro Pakhyan and likewise very little battle narrations and techniques to be found within the Sri Akal Ustat and Jaap Sahib etc.

Edited by amardeep

17 minutes ago, amardeep said:

Isn't the 405th the Sri Chaupai Sahib?

I haven't seen it myself but i've heard from numerous people that the Sikhaan Di Bhagatmala contains some verses wherein it is written that the Dasam Granth is divided into three forms of bani. Amrit Bani (Jaap Sahib, Akal Ustat etc), Yudh Mai Bani (Chabis avatar, Bachitar Natak, Chandi Charitras etc) and Sansaar di bani (Charitro pakhyan).  As such, there is very little spiritual teachings to be found within the Charitro Pakhyan and likewise very little battle narrations and techniques to be found within the Sri Akal Ustat and Jaap Sahib etc.

The signature  statement of a charitar ending doesn't come after the Chaupai, will check on the Bhagatmala bit

51 minutes ago, Jatro said:

ਕਬੀਰ ਏਕ ਮਰੰਤੇ ਦੁਇ ਮੂਏ ਦੋਇ ਮਰੰਤਹ ਚਾਰਿ ॥ਚਾਰਿ ਮਰੰਤਹ ਛਹ ਮੂਏ ਚਾਰਿ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੁਇ ਨਾਰਿ ॥੯੧॥

You could check an old sampardayi teeka about what '4 purakh' means

The four Purakhs could mean

• Padarath (Items) of four loks (Matlok, Paataal, Braham lok and Indar lok)
  • Raag, Duash, Sukh and Dukh
  • Harakh, Sog, Janam and Maran

Bhul chuk maaf

I dont mean to go off-topic but just thought i'd post this regarding the view on Dasam Granth in 19th century Punjab.

It is written by Pandit Sharda Ram in 1866 in his Sikha ka Raj Ka Vithiya:

"The Guru wished to compose a scripture by which the Sikhs could learn politics, martial skills, and by such intelligence be able for war. On that day, a large scripture was completed in september 1696. It was called the scripture of the tenth sovereign."

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

The lady's full name is  ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਨੁਰਾਗ ਮਤੀ ਕੁਅਰਿ

The word ਕੁਅਰਿ means a prince. The word "Kaur" is derived from it.

Any ideas why this particular word was used by Maharaaj?

Bhul chuk maaf

Maybe just simply  indicating a 'high status' for the character? 

On 28/02/2016 at 9:47 PM, amardeep said:

I dont mean to go off-topic but just thought i'd post this regarding the view on Dasam Granth in 19th century Punjab.

It is written by Pandit Sharda Ram in 1866 in his Sikha ka Raj Ka Vithiya:

"The Guru wished to compose a scripture by which the Sikhs could learn politics, martial skills, and by such intelligence be able for war. On that day, a large scripture was completed in september 1696. It was called the scripture of the tenth sovereign."

Any more info about this writing Amardeep Singh Ji?

On 27/02/2016 at 8:40 PM, chatanga1 said:

However if you look at these groups, within Indian Islamic society they are elite groups: the Sayeds- descendants of the Mohammad, Sheikhs- learned arabic and islamic scholars, moghals - the ruling muslim elite and afghans - semi-divine islamic ghazis.

After reading the chapter on Sri CharitroPakhyan Granth in "Poetics of Dasam Granth" by Dr Darshan Singh, what I wrote above is corroborated there. Dr Sahib has written that the characters of the stories revolve mainly around people from the higher strata of society. This reflects the household where the whole scenario is taking place : a King's palace.

In the quote above the four men also belong to the elite of Islamic society in India. The woman was also the daughter of a King (as the actual women in the story was also a King's daughter).

19 hours ago, amardeep said:

Unfortunately not. The book was commisioned by the British to write a history of the Sikh religion and rise to power. I think its a farsi granth

@amardeep

Amardeep, the original "Sikha de raj di vithiya" was translated into English by Major Henry Court in 1888 and published. I have this book, bought it in India at around Rs 200. Very cheap.

You can read it here :

http://panjabdigilib.org/webuser/searches/displayPageContent.jsp?ID=6812&CategoryID=1&Searched=W3GX

if you don't already have it. I have checked my book and the quote is there.

To read the above quote in the book on PDL it is on page 135. On the same page at the top is a reference to reading Japji Jaap Sodar and Sohila.