Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I need guidance, recently I feel down. I'm having problems with balancing Sikhi and normal daily tasks. 

Currently I am in my last year at university and have a lot of work, I also have OCD/Pure-O which means I get messed up thoughts and sometimes they really do get to me. I have quite a few problems so will try and shorten them down. 

• I find it hard to do any path, even the shortest bania will take me a long time to do and whenever I do complete the bani instead of feeling at peace I get headaches. I would say it takes me 40 minutes to do Japji Sahib and 10 minutes to do Kirtan Sohila. It really annoys me that I can't do it my bania quicker, I have been doing this for two years and don't think I can carry on this the rest of my life.  I just keep stopping and repeating some tuks over and over again because I feel I have pronounced it wrong and feel like Guru Ji is going to tell me off. 
  •  Because of my OCD I find it hard to make a decision, I will spend a lot of time considering whether what i'm going to do is the best choice for my Sikhi. I just end up thinking about it all the time and just feel down and exhausted after. 
  • I can't control my kaam, every week I just end up going on the internet and doing bad stuff. After I feel sick and I feel I don't deserve to be a Sikh. 
  • I get some many bad thoughts, but Guru Ji kirpa I've learnt to live with them, but it kills me inside and makes me worried whenever I get a bad thought about Guru Ji, a mahapurkh or a Shaheed. When I sit down in the sangat it is more hard, my mind just says so many bad stuff about people. Also because of my OCD my mind is messed up, for example sometimes when looking up and where I look happens to be a girl, i automatically think I've done something bad. 
  • The time i do bania, are all over the place. I don't wake up at amrit vela and my evening path I sometimes do at 10/11pm. When I go uni sometimes I would reach home round 6/7 but I'm to tired and hungry to straight away to do my Rehras Sahib Ji, so i end up doing it late, sleep late and wake up late. I listen Rehras sahib Ji when travelling from back to uni but I feel guilty, and end up doing it later at home. 
  • Because of my OCD, I wash my hands alot and my skin gets bad after a few days. I also live in family which drinks and has meat, so I feel like stuff is contaminated.  

Currently i am not Amritdari and to be honest I hardly do any simran. 

My morning routine is: 

When I go uni  I start path at 8

When i don't go uni start path about 11/12

• Japji Sahib
  • Jaap Sahib (listen and follow along as much as I can) 
  • Tav prasad savaiye
  • Chaupai Sahib (listen and recite along) 

• Anand Sahib (listen but when doing worldly things if at home or on the train) 
  • Hukamnama (if i have uni i will read it in the night) 

Evening Routine: 

• Rehras Sahib Ji

Night: 

• Kirtan Sohila
  • Hukamnama Katha 
  • Simran (10 minutes if lucky) 

I feel all over the place at the moment, and not even studying much because I can't find the right balance. 

Please forgive me if i said anything wrong, offensive or wasted your time. 

Sat Sri Akaal

10 minutes ago, singh11 said:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I need guidance, recently I feel down. I'm having problems with balancing Sikhi and normal daily tasks. 

Currently I am in my last year at university and have a lot of work, I also have OCD/Pure-O which means I get messed up thoughts and sometimes they really do get to me. I have quite a few problems so will try and shorten them down.

Bro, the most important and critical thing - Have you gone to a Doctor, regarding OCD? If so, what did he /she say?

Bhul chuk maaf

14 minutes ago, singh11 said:

Currently i am not Amritdari and to be honest I hardly do any simran. 

Bro, go and take Amrit asap. Talk to Panj Pyaray about your OCD medical problem. They might do an Ardaas for you. The Ardaas of Panj Pyaray is very strong, as compared to a regular Ardaas.

Bhul chuk maaf

18 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Bro, the most important and critical thing - Have you gone to a Doctor, regarding OCD? If so, what did he /she say?

Bhul chuk maaf

Nope I feel the doctor won't understand my problem, as my OCD is mainly impacting my Sikhi mainly.

13 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Bro, go and take Amrit asap. Talk to Panj Pyaray about your OCD medical problem. They might do an Ardaas for you. The Ardaas of Panj Pyaray is very strong, as compared to a regular Ardaas.

Bhul chuk maaf

I want to take Amrit, but currently I don't think is the best time with all my work load from uni and my kaam problem. I finish uni by June, so hopefully I should be preparing my self to take it. 

7 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Have a look at this:

Bhul chuk maaf

Thank you for the Jaap, but I can't read Gurmukhi is that Ang 818 of Guru Mahraj. Also thank you for replying back

Edited by singh11

Nope I feel the doctor won't understand my problem, as my OCD is mainly impacting my Sikhi mainly.

At some stage you might want to see a doctor about it.

Have you been officially diagnosed by a doctor btw? 

1 minute ago, dalsingh101 said:

No, but previously my condition was really bad was into superstitions and everything. Like I used to do everything a certain number of times otherwise i felt something bad will happen. And I used to wash my hands for more than 5 minutes. Someone suggest I had Pure-O, which is the exact some thoughts I get that people online have describe/written about.  

3 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Dear OP,

It is very important that you make an appointment with your family physician. He will set you up with a Psychiatrist, They are the ones to make the diagnosis. Please, do not make the diagnosis on your own. OCD not only affects your Sikhi , it can also affect your daily life.  Don't worry they wont start you on pills right away. They can guide you to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy & Meditation Sessions. This will also help with mind control. Also, does your family know about it. OCD is very real, please do not delay a doctors visit.

You can also look up CBT on your own, if you like.  There are many techniques that will help you. But please do see a psychiatrist.

Just now, singh11 said:

No, but previously my condition was really bad was into superstitions and everything. Like I used to do everything a certain number of times otherwise i felt something bad will happen. And I used to wash my hands for more than 5 minutes. Someone suggest I had Pure-O, which is the exact some thoughts I get that people online have describe/written about.  

Look I'm suspicious of pharma too, but it might be a good idea to get officially diagnosed. It might help later at work. 

If you don't mind me asking, does the condition affect your ability to do your coursework/exams? 

1 minute ago, Gunahgar said:

Dear OP,

It is very important that you make an appointment with your family physician. He will set you up with a Psychiatrist, They are the ones to make the diagnosis. Please, do not make the diagnosis on your own. OCD not only affects your Sikhi , it can also affect your daily life.  Don't worry they wont start you on pills right away. They can guide you to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy & Meditation Sessions. This will also help with mind control. Also, does your family know about it. OCD is very real, please do not delay a doctors visit.

You can also look up CBT on your own, if you like.  There are many techniques that will help you. But please do see a psychiatrist.

I had anxiety before my OCD, and saw a doctor for some period of time. But when she suggested referring me, my parents said no. 

Just now, singh11 said:

I had anxiety before my OCD, and saw a doctor for some period of time. But when she suggested referring me, my parents said no. 

Referring you to who? 

Just now, singh11 said:

I can understand , it is a great stigmata.

How old are you ? Even if you are young, you can see the doctor on your own, it will stay confidential.

1 minute ago, dalsingh101 said:

Look I'm suspicious of pharma too, but it might be a good idea to get officially diagnosed. It might help later at work. 

If you don't mind me asking, does the condition affect your ability to do your coursework/exams? 

At first it did, but I have to say OCD is the main reason that brought me to Guru Ji. After that Guru Ji done kirpa and sorted it came under some control. 

Just now, dalsingh101 said:

Referring you to who? 

most likely a Psychiatrist. They are the ones who deal with anxiety/OCD. These issues come under the domain of Psychiatry. That is why Desi families suffer through these problems silently all their life without getting help.

2 minutes ago, singh11 said:

Ask your family doc, if she can suggest Cognitive Behavioral Therapy without sending you to a psychiatrist.

56 minutes ago, singh11 said:

Bro, you need to listen to your body. 

Try this:

Take the Ayurvedic medication as mentioned above and do the Jaaps. Try it for like 2-3 months. If your situation does not improve, then go to the Psychiatrist.

Bhul chuk maaf