UK citizen marrying an Indian national

I can't say for UK for sure but I can speak about Canada but the process will be the same. I was just married in India in Sept 2015.  

If you are gori (Caucasian) and marrying a Punjabi Sikh under anand Karaj you will first need to change your name officially in your documents to last name Kaur. This is because of a hukamnama from 2007 from SGPC.  They want to be sure that anyone not born into Sikhi is actually serious about following Sikhi because anand Karaj can only be between two Sikhs. 

Also make sure you register your marriage right away with the registrar of marriages where you are (under new anand marriage act --- unless Jammu Kashmir then it's a bit more complicated. You will require this proof of marriage - both the marriage agreement (registration) and the marriage certificate. You get the certificate after the agreement is registered.  Without this paperwork UK will not give your spouse permanent residence. 

You will also need other proof of established relationship like photos, past Indian visas etc to show it wasn't a one off thing ( which indicates scam for green card type of thing).  They want to see you two have been together for awhile in a genuine relationship. Also photos from the marriage, invitations, etc.  Especially photos with your families involved. That way they know your family is supportive. Less chance it will be a scam if your family is participating in the wedding. 

Mother than that there is a lot of papers for the actual application. But that's where UK and Canada may differ in their process.  

17 minutes ago, CdnSikhGirl said:

I can't say for UK for sure but I can speak about Canada but the process will be the same. I was just married in India in Sept 2015.  

If you are gori (Caucasian) and marrying a Punjabi Sikh under anand Karaj you will first need to change your name officially in your documents to last name Kaur. This is because of a hukamnama from 2007 from SGPC.  They want to be sure that anyone not born into Sikhi is actually serious about following Sikhi because anand Karaj can only be between two Sikhs. 

Also make sure you register your marriage right away with the registrar of marriages where you are (under new anand marriage act --- unless Jammu Kashmir then it's a bit more complicated. You will require this proof of marriage - both the marriage agreement (registration) and the marriage certificate. You get the certificate after the agreement is registered.  Without this paperwork UK will not give your spouse permanent residence. 

You will also need other proof of established relationship like photos, past Indian visas etc to show it wasn't a one off thing ( which indicates scam for green card type of thing).  They want to see you two have been together for awhile in a genuine relationship. Also photos from the marriage, invitations, etc.  Especially photos with your families involved. That way they know your family is supportive. Less chance it will be a scam if your family is participating in the wedding. 

Mother than that there is a lot of papers for the actual application. But that's where UK and Canada may differ in their process.  

So jayo.. Raat ho gee.