Rare Puratan Painting of Singhni Wearing a Turban - Dastaar Boonga

BhagatSingh

Pink being for women is western. That's a young Singh not a woman. Firstly there were no nihang women anyways especially in 1834 what a joke. Look at old kurtay or cholay around India. Hint of pink or red and different colours are abundant but women w turbans is a recent phenomenon. 

7 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

Puratan paintings of Singhnis almost never show the sikh women wearing turbans. Most paintings I have looked at often show Singhnis with braided hair or sometimes with a top-knot.

That said...

Out of like a hundred paintings I looked at, I saw one where it seemed like a Singhni is wearing a dastaar boonga. It could be a prepubescent male since there is no visible breast shape in the painting however the clothing, pink salwar kameez, seem to suggest that it is a woman with her family.

teaching_savarakhsha_women_03.png.65c7a0

This was painted in 1838 Ad.

All 3 people in this image are Singhs. We cannot base colour theories based on today's meanings. I.e. the colour blue is compared to depression etc.

22 hours ago, Guest said:

Pink being for women is western. That's a young Singh not a woman. Firstly there were no nihang women anyways especially in 1834 what a joke. Look at old kurtay or cholay around India. Hint of pink or red and different colours are abundant but women w turbans is a recent phenomenon. 

18 hours ago, Kaalka said:

All 3 people in this image are Singhs. We cannot base colour theories based on today's meanings. I.e. the colour blue is compared to depression etc.

Yes Singhs wore pink and still wear pink. Pink is not the issue. Only you two are focusing on that.

The character on the horse is wearing a salwar kameez type outfit, and it's covering their legs. This is completely different from the oft-seen male Nihang attire, which is a chola and kachera.

Now is it possible that a male Nihang is wearing salwar kameez type outfit?

Yes, it's possible. I have seen that before in paintings of Akali Phula Singh ji.

However, remember we do have Christian Missionary accounts from 1800s of one Akalini, who became a widow and joined the Akali sect and wore turban and carried weapons. So Akalinis were rare but it did happen.

20160322_213539.thumb.jpg.6e788dd25a7a26