Where can I find simple Punjabi texts for beginners?

amardeep

Gurfateh

I've tried looking for simple texts for people learning to read Gurmukhi. Texts as simple as the below. I tried with Jagdev Singh's bed time stories for kids but they thought the language was too tricky (which it actually is considering it is meant for kids).

Do you know of any simple short texts I can print out?

simple text.png

Guest guest

Amardeep, one good thing is the Gurbani Pothis that have Gurmukhi with romanised text beneath (Gurmukhi sounds spelt out in English letters).  You can follow the English sounds to figure out the Panjabi sounds.

@amardeepWho are your target students? Children, adults, academics? You might have to make some yourself. It shouldn't be too hard. 

18 minutes ago, amardeep said:

Adults.  Do you know of any texts for download?

Well, what are you trying to achieve specifically with them?

When you are teaching, you should have explicit 'Learning Objectives'.

22 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Well, what are you trying to achieve specifically with them?

The basic aim is for them to be able to read Punjabi. Apart from two converts, they are all punjabi so they already know the language. I tried with some texts but they often find them difficult to begin with. They are happy about short phrases of small Words... Many punjabi senteneces are quite long so they often tend to forget what they've read as they struggle along the sentence.

1 hour ago, amardeep said:

The basic aim is for them to be able to read Punjabi. Apart from two converts, they are all punjabi so they already know the language. I tried with some texts but they often find them difficult to begin with. They are happy about short phrases of small Words... Many punjabi senteneces are quite long so they often tend to forget what they've read as they struggle along the sentence.

My advice is to make short maybe 2 to 3 word sentences and build up from that.

So like 

ਘਰ ਜਾ

ਘਰ ਨਾ ਜਾ

ਕੁਰਸੀ ਉੱਤੇ ਬੈਠ

ਕੁਰਸੀ ਉੱਤੇ ਨਾ ਬੈਠ

ਪਾਰਕ ਜਾ

ਅਮਰਦੀਪ ਨਾਲ ਪਾਰਕ ਜਾ

ਗੱਡੀ ਵਿਚ ਬੈਠ

ਗੱਡੀ ਉੱਤੇ ਨਾ ਬੈਠ

ਦੀਪਾ ਨਾਲ ਜਾ

You should think of some of your own now. Keep them simple and try and make them relevant/useful. 

If you're giving formal lessons, a great thing would be to get the Panjabi speakers to start making short sentences for each other to read!

Me and a nephew used to do this, and we had a lot of fun doing it (especially with swearing). But then I'm a bit immature like that, but it kept the student engaged and laughing. 

Things like: 

ਯੂ ਆਰ ਏ ਬਿਗ ਆਰਸ-ਹੌਲ!

How would you spell 'hole' then?

ਹੋਲ

is 'hol', which is definitely not right. 

I think  ਹੌਲ  is as near as we are going to get? And it is exactly like a freshie from back home trying to say hole i.e. 'haul'

Ju know, I bent to the park butt on da bhay I did phaul into da haul in da road. 

@amardeep

When you've made your doc, share it with the world so that they too can help people learn Panjabi without having to reinvent the wheel. 

1 minute ago, dalsingh101 said:

@amardeep

When you've made your doc, share it with the world so that they too can help people learn Panjabi without having to reinvent the wheel. 

Definately i will.

They found your sentences quite useful :) They had a hard time guessing what ਪਾਰਕ was haha. I had another text that said "dollar".. they spend ages trying to figure it what a punjabi doular was. lol

On 4/3/2016 at 7:27 AM, amardeep said:

Gurfateh

I've tried looking for simple texts for people learning to read Gurmukhi. Texts as simple as the below. I tried with Jagdev Singh's bed time stories for kids but they thought the language was too tricky (which it actually is considering it is meant for kids).

Do you know of any simple short texts I can print out?

simple text.png

Check this out

http://www.5abi.com/5ratan/

On 4/7/2016 at 1:50 PM, amardeep said:

Definately i will.

They found your sentences quite useful :) They had a hard time guessing what ਪਾਰਕ was haha. I had another text that said "dollar".. they spend ages trying to figure it what a punjabi doular was. lol

When you planning to share your sentences bro?