How to politely refuse food....dilemma

You know our lot, despite our shortcomings, when we get hospitable, we don't mess about!

I'd like some feedback on my dilemma.

When I go to a close relative's house (who shall remain anonymous), I get the usual  treatment with pakoray, samosay, followed by the main mean of rotian with 2 types of subjees. 

Now I don't normally ever eat this type of diet. I keeps it low carb! But when I do eat at the above place, I end up feeling bloated and f**ked for a few days after. It effects my training routine and energy levels majorly - as well as how I feel (makes me sluggish and lethargic) and I can feel my tidh unravelling. 

Couple this with the stark fact of both of these relatives seem to be conspicuously gaining weight themselves, especially around the notorious tidh region - which we know is typical Panjabi problem. 

My first instinct is to tartly and vehemently explode along the lines of: "For f**ks sake! Are you trying to turn me into a fat c**t too??!?!?"

But upon reflection such a course seems wholly unjustified, not to mention insensitive. I mean, it's not their fault that they lack any culinary flexibility and knowledge of nutrition.

What I plan to do now, is to train like hell prior to visiting the aforementioned, and treat the visit like a very bad cheat day (in terms of the food).  

But this is not ideal  and so I ask:  

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can resist the strange guilt I feel at refusing food in fear of offending and extricate myself from this dilemma? Thoughts appreciated in advance. Thank you. 

Just say you have gluten/wheat allergy & it is newly diagnosed. If you want to avoid anything to eat just say that you are allergic to it. People have allergies to different foods these days. So that should cut out a lot of stuff. It is a white lie but its your choice. Everyone stays happy.

The third way is to be radically honest.

Explain to them what you are doing, even if you have to do it everytime you go there. And then maybe request them that if they want to have a meal with you then they can prepare something that you can eat. Let them know what you will eat and what you won't. Let them know that this diet is important for you. And give them the reasons why it is important.

After that it's their choice whether they want to prepare that for you.

But definitely eat just a little bit of what they give you anyway. Never reject fully.

Eat a small amount that your body can tolerate.

• 5 years later...
On 5/1/2016 at 10:29 PM, dalsingh101 said:

You know our lot, despite our shortcomings, when we get hospitable, we don't mess about!

I'd like some feedback on my dilemma.

When I go to a close relative's house (who shall remain anonymous), I get the usual  treatment with pakoray, samosay, followed by the main mean of rotian with 2 types of subjees. 

Now I don't normally ever eat this type of diet. I keeps it low carb! But when I do eat at the above place, I end up feeling bloated and f**ked for a few days after. It effects my training routine and energy levels majorly - as well as how I feel (makes me sluggish and lethargic) and I can feel my tidh unravelling. 

Couple this with the stark fact of both of these relatives seem to be conspicuously gaining weight themselves, especially around the notorious tidh region - which we know is typical Panjabi problem. 

My first instinct is to tartly and vehemently explode along the lines of: "For f**ks sake! Are you trying to turn me into a fat c**t too??!?!?"

But upon reflection such a course seems wholly unjustified, not to mention insensitive. I mean, it's not their fault that they lack any culinary flexibility and knowledge of nutrition.

What I plan to do now, is to train like hell prior to visiting the aforementioned, and treat the visit like a very bad cheat day (in terms of the food).  

But this is not ideal  and so I ask:  

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can resist the strange guilt I feel at refusing food in fear of offending and extricate myself from this dilemma? Thoughts appreciated in advance. Thank you. 

I would just say 'mein khake aya thora chir hoya' , or say you are 'dieting' . That  might also be a gentle way to 'educate' them if they ask 'ki hoya , sada food changa nayin lagda' ?!'

I'm quite blunt like that , lol !