Guru ji returns after twelve years

Guru ji returns after twelve years

After twelve years of his journeys, Guru Nanak Dev ji decided to go to his own village, 'Talwandi' for some days. Guru ji did not entered into the village. There was a well near to 'Talwandi'. Guru ji sat there.

Mardana ji said, "Guru ji, allow me to see my family. I want to see whether all of them are alive or not. I could not see my family for twelve years.

Guru ji smiled and said, "Do not worried about them. They all are happy. Go and see your family by yourself.

Mardana went to his house and met to his family. All people of the village showed respect towards Bhai Mardana, because he was companion of Guru ji. People were saying that Mardana was the shadow of Guru Nanak, so everyone should show respect for him. When mother of Guru Nanak Dev ji, Mother Tripta ji, saw Mardana ji, she started to shed tears. She wanted to know about her only son.

She rushed to the well, where the holy soul, Guru Nanak Dev ji, was sitting. Guru ji saw his mother from a distance. He got up and put steps towards her.

It was very precious day for an old and weak woman. She would be able to see his only son after long twelve years of waiting. He was the holy soul. He was Guru of the world. He was an ascetic. He was composer of holy songs. He was a singer of God. He was a great traveler. He was the savior. And, he was her son.

Guru ji saw her from a distance. She was coming. She was coming closer. She was coming closer to him. Weaken by old age, she was almost running. Guru ji could see her. She was not an ordinary woman. She was not just a mother. She gave birth to the savior. She was the woman, whose son was sent by God Himself. She was the woman, whose son changed the history of his country. Guru ji was seeing her coming closer to him. He got up. He did put steps towards her. A son met with a mother. Guru ji put his head on the feet of his mother.

What else could he do? It is impossible to describe about the relation of mother and son. It is our mother, who has brought us into this world. She has faced many problems for us. Can we pay her for her services? Can we make her happy by giving her just money? How can we show our love and respect towards her? By money? By words? By songs? No, No. This is not the way. We should show respect for her. But how? Just put your head in her feet. You are not degrading yourself. Hazrat Mohammed, Muslim prophet, had said that there is heaven under the feet of mother.

That was what Guru ji did. The mother embraced her son. She was weeping. How can anyone describe it? She could see her son after twelve years. She was shedding tears. Even other people got tears in their eyes, who were seeing this. The son was in the arms of his mother. She could not let her son go out of her arms. She touched his head again and again. Water was running through two rivers, rivers of two eyes of a mother.

"May I be sacrificed to you"! Mother Tripta ji said, "May I be sacrificed to your name, my son! May I be sacrificed to places you go to! You made me happy, as I could see you."

Now people could see tears in the eyes of Guru Nanak Dev ji too. There were the Holy tears in the eyes of my Holy Guru. May I be sacrificed to my Guru's tears!

When father Mehta Kaalu ji heard that his son had come back, he reached where Guru ji was sitting. Guru ji touched his feet. The father embraced his son. Now, it was father's turn to shed tears.

All sat there. Guru ji sang a 'Shabad', "Amli amal na ambarhai, machhchhi neer na hoi.

Jo rattey sah aapne, tin bhaavai sab koi.

Hau(n) vaaree vangaa(n), khaniyey vangaa(n), tau sahib ke naavai." (Guru Granth Sahib ji, Raag Vadahans, Mahla 1, p. 557)

"To the addict, there is nothing like the drug; to the fish, there is nothing else like water.

Those who are attuned to their Lord - everyone is pleasing to them."

"I am a sacrifice, cut apart into pieces, a sacrifice to Your Name, O Lord and Master."

"The Lord is the fruitful tree; His Name is nectar.

Those who drink it in are satisfied; I am a sacrifice to them."

"You are not visible to me, although You dwell with everyone.

How can the thirst of the thirsty be quenched, with that wall between the pond and me?"

"Nanak is Your merchant; You, O Lord and Master, are my capital.

My mind is cleared of doubt, when I praise You in prayer."

Mother Tripta ji said, "Son, I have brought some sweet for you. Please eat this."

"I have not desire to eat this", Guru ji replied, "as I am not hungry. I have already eaten to my satisfaction."

"What have you eaten?" Guru ji was asked.

Guru ji said, "Believing, all tastes are sweet.

Hearing, the salty flavors are tasted; chanting with one's mouth, the spicy flavors are savored.

All these spices have been made from the Sound current of the Naad.

The thirty-six flavors of ambrosial nectar are in the Love of the One Lord; only one who is blessed by His Glance of Grace tastes them."

"O Baba, the pleasures of other foods are false. Eating them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind."

(Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Siri Raag, Mahla 1, p. 16)

Mother Tripta ji said, "My son, now you should not wear this ascetic's dress. Put on new clothes."

Guru ji replied, "My mind is imbued with the Lord's Love; it is dyed a deep crimson.

Truth and charity are my white clothes.

My wearing of blue clothes erases the blackness of sin, and meditation on the Lord's Lotus Feet is my robe of honor.

Contentment is my cummerbund; Your Name is my wealth and youth."

"O Baba, the pleasures of other clothes are false.

Wearing them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind."

"Let's go to our house", Kaalu ji said, "you have seen many places. Now, do not think to go elsewhere. I have a horse. Ride the horse and go to your home."

Guru ji replied, "The understanding of Your Way, Lord, is horses, saddles and bags of gold for me.

The pursuit of virtue is my bow and arrow, my quiver, sword and scabbard.

To be distinguished with honor is my drum and banner.

Your Mercy is my social status."

"O Baba, the pleasures of other rides are false.

By such rides, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind."

Kaalu ji did not want to give up, so he said further, "We have constructed a new house. Let's go and see. You have your family. You must see your family. If you have to go for more journeys, you may go later."

Guru ji said, "The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the pleasure of houses and mansions.

Your Glance of Grace is my family, Lord. The Hukam of Your Command is the pleasure of Your Will, Lord.

To say anything else is far beyond anyone's reach.

O Nanak, the True King does not seek advice from anyone else in His decisions."

"O Baba, the pleasure of other sleep is false.

By such sleep, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind."

(Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Siri Raag, Mahla 1, p. 16-17)

At last, on request of his mother and father, Guru Nanak Dev ji went to his house in the village.

-Amrit Pal Singh 'Amrit'